View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:08 AM 

Player

What makes a good character?
Talent defines what you do not what you are
I feel that one of the points that helps make a character 'good' is seeing that a character has their strength AND their weaknesses.

Some one who's really built and buffed up probably isn't going to be all that flexible or light on their feet.

I also believe that when a character is relate able and has redeeming qualities it helps make for a good compelling character that others will have interest in.

Edit: I'm not talking about stats or numbers.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Akhlys

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:39 AM 

Player

research, tact, and a set of outlines that develop its personality

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:43 AM 

Developer

Most people that are professional fighters are both extremely buff and nimble. Much the same way, if you're in a fight for your life and someone is very interested in putting a sword in your head you will want to be quick enough to get through their offense and strong enough to permeate their defense. Pro football linemen will also fit into this category; they may not beat your average scatback in a footrace but they are quick to move in close contact situations.

On the flip side, your carnival strongman who is not involved in prizefighting or other martial arts will likely have less agility and wouldn't stand a chance. This is because they are used to picking up heavy things that aren't trying to bust them in the face or snap their arm.

I know wrestling so I'll use wrestlers as examples: If you look at men like John Cena, Undertaker, or BROCK LESNAR you will see men who are incredibly strong, in the case of Cena and Lesnar are rather buff, but can perform backflips as well. All three men are or were also compelling figures who make people want to tune in week after week. Then you get the guys like Ted Arcidi or Bill Kazmaier who were built like solid walls but had both the charisma and the dexterity of your average rotting trout and thus washed out quite quickly.

The heroes aren't supposed to be Jimmy Jack Farmer and Betty Lou Seamstress. They are supposed to be larger than life individuals who influence the world around them, that people wish they could be.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:26 AM 

Player

A good character makes me forget they only live within the confines of the game.

That's it.

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 15:13 PM 

Player

Passion.

A good character is made by being passionate about that character. And not just their shadow! Yes. I have the puns.

If you invest yourself in all aspects of your character, it will be a good character. Build, backstory, goals, emotional depth, etc. Flesh out the character to be a real person in the setting, and it will be a good character. That's pretty much it, imo.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 15:17 PM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
Passion.

A good character is made by being passionate about that character. And not just their shadow! Yes. I have the puns.

If you invest yourself in all aspects of your character, it will be a good character. Build, backstory, goals, emotional depth, etc. Flesh out the character to be a real person in the setting, and it will be a good character. That's pretty much it, imo.

I feel the same on all these points.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]