View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Nalkanar

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 27 2015, 3:12 AM 

Player

Hi,

I would just like to ask few questions about Master Scout in context of RP.

1) Since it is made from Harper Scout is there any connection to Harpers or any other organization? I guess not, but...

2) Since it can make some special stuff (don't know what but it sounds special!) could it be said that they know something from magic or alchemy even if I start as non-mage? Meaning I should probably start with educating my character in that way.

3) Is there anything else I should know before using Master Scout in my character concept?

CET time zone

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 27 2015, 4:15 AM 

Tester

1) Not to my knowledge. Even when it was Harper Scout on the server, our standing was that you could be a Harper and not have the class, and likewise having the class alone did not automatically make you a part of the Harper organization. The weirdness of that is one reason I imagine we eventually changed it to its current form. It is its own thing now.

2) I believe that flavor is left to the player. I've seen some people RP it as alchemy, others as potions created through magical means like an arcanist would. How you wish to describe it is largely up to you I'd imagine.

3) Nothing I can think of. As it is a homebrewn class, there isn't really that much to go off of OoC other than the general concept blurb, like with Knight Commander. It's meant to be a blend of Rogue of Ranger, but how that comes across IC is anyone's game. How a PC learns those skills, how they perform them, and to what end they use them likely has as much leeway as anything else.

Just curious, what was the general concept for the character you were going to make a Master Scout? Understanding the character's background might help you fill out some of the style and lore for yourself.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 27 2015, 4:36 AM 

Player

Because I'm kinda new to Amia I'm working with this easy concept (so I apologize if you were expecting some epic idea or story) of wandering monster slaying guy, who is kinda looking into different factions and tries to figure out where he would fit in. He might become guard, mercenary, join-up with paladins, or just stay independent adventurer who offers his help from time to time.

Class-wise I was thinking about barbarian or ranger as a base for this and master scout seemed to fit to that "wandering" part since it seems to give quite some survibaliy in wilderness... and the name kinda caught my eye. :D

To make the concept better and more complex I'm asking about these aspects of magic use and Harper involvement. Once I am through with figuring this stuff I'll try to make concept more concrete and add some story, but so far I am going with just this little something.

CET time zone

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:42 AM 

Tester

No apologies necessary. Some PC's have been conceptualized with 1-2 sentences and then ended up being pretty deep and awesome as their story went on.

In a very general sense, I would say that your base class decision might lend itself one way or another to your story. Again, this is very generally speaking, but a Barbarian is often part of a tribe or some sort of primitive social structure. Your character might have some idea of alchemy or natural remedies from being taught by a clan elder or perhaps coming upon that sort of lore himself the more he learns about his heritage. Alternatively, Rangers are more often thought of as loners. I would think a Ranger would be more likely to teach themselves the sort of alchemy or tricks that a Master Scout gains. Trough trial and error or through seeking out the knowledge themselves. All the same, maybe joining an IC organization is the catalyst for them learning that kind of thing. In either case, both a Ranger and a Barbarian have equal reason to wander around the land; they both have a knack for surviving in the natural world that adventurers spend so much time in.

A concept, in my mind, is something you make so you can feel comfortable that you have all the answers you need to start playing a PC to your own personal standard. As concise as what you've said is, that sounds like you might already be there, because you intend for your character to wander and figure out their place in the grand scheme of things as time goes. You might decide their MS abilities are magical because their first IC friend was a Wizard who took time to explain such things to them. Or you could decide it is alchemy, because they came across an Alchemy Job instructor first and it really fit well with them. I wouldn't trouble myself too much beyond what you already have. Maybe figure out where they are from in Forgotten Realms("where are you from?" is one of the first questions any new PC comes across) and have an idea why they came to Amia, and let it rip. :)

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:49 PM 

Player

Nice, thx.

CET time zone

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2015, 6:00 AM 

Player

General question, but since I already created this topic...

I've been playing on more servers so I just wanna clear out one thing. Having certain class system-wise does NOT mean that character is that class but rather character is SOMETHING which is sort of represent through the stuff he gains from his classes. Which one is it?

I was playing of both types. Sure there is exception like "divine classes must be divine" etc. But for example if I have levels of druid I can call myself shaman (well not on Amia since shaman is sort of specific class, but it is example, m'kay?!), or if I am bard - master scout I won't call myself that but rather "travelling minstrel".

CET time zone

Ts_

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2015, 7:01 AM 

Player

Search for IronAngel's posts on class emulation. He can explain it much better than me and with a more definite answer.

The idea is: Yes, a fighter-wizard can really be a Spellsword.
As long as you stick to everything that the base classes must do (e.g. divine caster need to worship their deity) you can emulate other classes freely. You do not automatically gain special abilities that you cannot already represent mechanically in NWN. Those must be requested. But you can say in that request that you are already emulating this class. PnP abilities without mechanical representation are subject to consent anyway.

But if the mechanics support it, some spell could be validly roleplayed as a special class ability, for example.

There are some exceptions noted in the server rules, e.g. telepathy and teleporting are always nogos.

Again, look for IronAngel's posts. I might be wrong.

Regards
Ts

Ts_

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2015, 7:13 AM 

Player

Here: www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54964

An important addition from there: use common sense, if you want to emulate some strange powers, make a formal request first.

There are more threads on this topic, too.

Regards
Ts

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2015, 14:08 PM 

Player

Thx :wink:

CET time zone

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]