View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 11:34 AM 

Player

I'm fairly new here but slowly getting back into rping and building a new character from scratch! Now i tend to do things backward in that i have the general character then interact with the world which prompts the old grey matter to crave out a backstory... as well as show certain areas i should probably have thought more about before running into living people and then falling head long into an exploding volcano DM event!

Without giving too much away OOCly about my character, and after witnessing some excellent rp last night, i was stuck to explain my character lack of world knowledge as well as her rather rosetinted view of her own early life. So my question, if my character was adopted and raised by a bard seemingly well practiced in the arts is it possible, through song, that the bard could have altered or supressed bad memories through magic or song? A spell or song which, after the passing of bard, is slowly unravelling?

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 14:14 PM 

Player

Sounds like a Geas. Completely possible. Maybe a bard doing it is a bit of a stretch, but still possible.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 14:35 PM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
Sounds like a Geas. Completely possible. Maybe a bard doing it is a bit of a stretch, but still possible.

Bard is never set in stone, was just something that fit the idea of singing songs to children to help them sleep. Its not so much removing all her memories more like colouring the bad ones and making them more pleasent. Would a Geas start to fade over time though? The thought behind the song is that it is just something which a parent might sing to child, the song reaffirming the Geas say. If the person who placed it died would that end a Geas?

My understanding of how a Geas works is limited!

Last edited by walnutboy on Fri, Aug 07 2015, 17:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 14:41 PM 

Player

Yes, a Geas will generally fade over time, unless the original caster continually re-casts it. It's usually done intentionally, and by practiced mages. I like the idea of a bard doing it as kind of a lullaby, though. So it's possible, and it sounds like you're rp'ing the concept correctly.

MoshingChris wrote:

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 17:45 PM 

Tester

Bards can get access to Geas and Lesser Geas in PnP. Although, I'm not sure if a geas itself could be used to alter memory. It compels you to do something or refrain from doing something. So maybe the compulsion was "live a happy life and never try to remember the bad things that happened to you during your childhood."? Every time a person works against a geas, they usually suffer some temporary ability damage or become sickened, so there would be a strong cycle of negative reinforcement that they might not notice on a conscious level. Every time they think about being a kid, they get a headache, so they eventually don't try to any more. But a geas wouldn't outright stop them from being able to try.

However, Bards also have access to Modify Memory and are the only class that gets the spell.

Quote:
You reach into the subject’s mind and modify as many as 5 minutes of its memories in one of the following ways.

Eliminate all memory of an event the subject actually experienced. This spell cannot negate charm, geas/quest, suggestion, or similar spells.
    Allow the subject to recall with perfect clarity an event it actually experienced.
    Change the details of an event the subject actually experienced.
    Implant a memory of an event the subject never experienced.

That seems like something more what you're looking for. Something like that could easily be fit into a nightly lullaby for a child, modifying their memories 5 minutes at a time. No, child, we didn't have rats and moldy bread for dinner. We had leg of lamb with cranberry dressing on a silver platter.

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 17:53 PM 

Player

I like that even more. Never heard of that spell.

MoshingChris wrote:

walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 22:34 PM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
I like that even more. Never heard of that spell.

Agreed, that does sound more interesting and perhaps a lot less... drastic than the Geas and perhaps a little more in keeping with someone trying to remove a childs suffering rather than altering their mental state through negative reinforcement! I guess i didn't want to come up with something in my characters back story that isn't at least possible.

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 14 2015, 21:09 PM 

Player

You do not really need that. A bard has a core feat of fascination and suggestion, which can suggest the subject to ignore the dark thoughts or "leave the past" behind. If you actually have a song from a fey or celestia (like my bard has) that could be used for something like that then you will likely have a better effect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]