View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Nalkanar

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01 2015, 20:50 PM 

Player

Hi,

I've been lately working on Kossuthian worshipper who I would like to be good aligned. However I am not entirely sure, how to work with that, since Kossuth and his flaming dogma sound aggresive and really evil-ish. I read his profile on FR wiki as well as in "Faiths and Pantheon" book.

From what I gathered there is monk order called Disciples of Fenix, that focuses on that "purify by fire". So I guess other good characters might go in this direction and work toward purifying the evil by fire. However what to do about that "superiority among others" and all that ambition and power stuff, so it would fit the good guy.

Ideas?

CET time zone

Lutra

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01 2015, 22:33 PM 

Player

There are good guys who have the superior attitude around them (good sun elves, good dragons etc). He won't be a paladin-like person in general but that doesn't mean that he can't be good. I think it would rather go with the CG scale perhaps.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01 2015, 23:27 PM 

Player

Well really, it's not like a patronizing "better than thou"-attitude is foreign to Good characters. We've all seen that one paladin who never stopped preaching and always looked with disgust at the "sinful" masses. Being Good doesn't mean you're a good person.

On a more positive note, ambition and purification also means self-improvement. Kossuth's dogma can easily be read in a way that encourages perserverance and hard work, and it also stresses the importance of finding a goal in this life. Even the haughtiness can be coupled with a sense of noblesse oblige.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:13 AM 

Player

Ambition is a neutral trait, applications are where you run into rocks. It is honestly a neat aspect to try and steer ardent ambition tempered by goodwill. Kossuth is a god of renewal, life, and self. I firmly believe you can run a rugged good giy as a Kossuthian, and looking down on people is easy when you live on a pedastal forged in the flames of rebirth. :D

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:19 AM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
Being Good doesn't mean you're a good person.

That is true...especially the "good" in the FR rule setting doesn't mean "good" in RL standards.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:21 AM 

Player

"I am good, you are all lowly sinners, bow before me and follow my lead." type of guy would fit most? :)

CET time zone

Larsaan

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 14:12 PM 

Player

Personally, I think the best way to play a Good Kossuthian would be as a really intense fitness trainer.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 14:21 PM 

Player

And building monopolized gym would be the highest goal to achieve, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

CET time zone

Larsaan

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 14:25 PM 

Player

Feel the burn! :twisted:

Riyit
Chsera Hile

Akhlys

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 15:05 PM 

Player

The Church

CLERGY: Specialty priests, crusaders, monks, shamans
CLERGY'S ALIGN.: LG, NG, LN, N, LE, NE
TURN UNDEAD: SP: No, Cru: No, Mon: No, Sha: Yes, if good
CMND. UNDEAD: SP: No, Cru: No, Mon: No, Sha: Yes, if neutral or evil

Dogma: The teachings of the Kossuthan religion on Toril are built around an assumption that those fit to succeed will do so and that the faith of Kossuth is innately superior to other faiths, especially those of the other elemental lords and particularly to that of Istishia. (The Istishian and Kossuthian churches hate one another.) Fire and purity are one and the same; the smoke produced by fire is created by the element of air in its jealousy and through the impurities of the material being cleansed by the flames. The driving force in the Kossuthan church is ambition, and the reward of successful ambition is power. Kossuthan doctrine also speaks of the inevitability of change to a higher state being accompanied by difficulty and personal pain of one type or another. "No pain, no gain" is most definitely a Kossuthan sentiment.

Novices in the Kossuthan faith are charged as follows: "The eternal Kossuth sends his pure fire to cleanse us all and temper our souls to a more pure state. Expect to be tested and strive to rise to the challenge, no matter what difficulty or pain it brings you. Follow the Promised above you, for they have proven their worth and achieved a higher state which you too can find in Kossuth's service. Find the true vision, the final goal of your life, and pursue it utterly. Give yourself totally to the cause, and it will return eternal rewards to you. Guide the teeming masses to the pure light that is Kossuth so that he may reforge all life into its essential form, and complete order and harmony will follow."

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 18:12 PM 

Player

Yes, I've read that. However I was asking about practical application of this in roleplay of good character.

CET time zone

Dergaii

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 20:31 PM 

Player

There could be several themes linked to fire that can still be consider good on the alignment spectrum.
I'm just giving a few angles here that come to mind:

Purification:
Purging those things that can only be considered destructive. This could be the directive that drives such a character to battle goblins, orcs, the evil races and monsters that plague the world. They will only cause harm and like a wart are better burned off completely instead being left to fester.

Praise the sun:
Embrace the biggest source of fire ever present. It reflects the nourishing nature of the element. The sun feeds the plant that in turn feed us and the animals we eat. Warmth is comforting, the embrace of a loved one, the warm womb we came out of. It warms even the coldness of water to make it bearable.

Walk through the fire:
In order to achieve something, we need to invest into and sacrifice time and effort. Work up a sweat for your desired results. One cannot have a fire without chopping the logs. At the same time we will bear the burns, the consequences of our actions. We will have killed the tree, blunted the axe but the fire could be to cook a meal for a starving person. One needs to pick their goals and be willing to commit.

Rise like the phoenix:
Seek to perfect yourself. Burn away the blemishes of your own person and overcome, growing stronger in the process. Wind and water are too fickle and changing, they offer no resistance. Earth is too unmovable. Fire offers an intensity of spirit while keeping an open mind. Have an impact on those around you that is felt after you left their presence (much like being burned by a candle, the finger is still aware even if the candle has died out). To impact the world, you need a pure person, burn off the unneeded clutter of fears, obsessions, ...

The fire keeps me safe:
We are but children in the dark, afraid of what lurks in the night. The campfire will keep us safe from the bogeymen and the wild beasts. We will use the protection from fire. It is intense and it burns, we will use it to bring fear to those that mean harm and they will feel the consequences when they come too close.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 21:26 PM 

Player

This is actually giving me ideas! Thank you.

CET time zone

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 04 2015, 5:16 AM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
Ambition is a neutral trait, applications are where you run into rocks. It is honestly a neat aspect to try and steer ardent ambition tempered by goodwill. Kossuth is a god of renewal, life, and self. I firmly believe you can run a rugged good giy as a Kossuthian, and looking down on people is easy when you live on a pedastal forged in the flames of rebirth. :D

^ This. I knew someone on another server years ago that played a pc similar to this description. It can be done. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]