View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 05 2016, 17:37 PM 

Player

Hi, and thanks in advance for the help.

I am trying to craft a story and flavour for my character, but I am hitting some impasses, and I would love some help.

Dante Waymeet is a cleric of Shaundakul.

He has the Portal and Travel domains.

He is also Chaotic Evil and summons Demons.

Clearly I have cobbled something mechanically before thinking about the RP implications (I am still quite a newb with Amia, so I sometimes make weird character decisions). The more I play this character, the more I want to give him substance in his story.

This is what I am focusing on so far: He studies planar beings, almost to the point of obsession when it comes to demonology (which I why I thought the Demonologist job would fit). Where some are afraid or repulsed, he sees only power and therefore beauty in the power. He also roams and explores, motivated to find new horizons and new wonders. He seeks out shrines to Shaundakul, to re-sanctify those in disrepair. He sees himself on a holy mission, but others can not see past his fascination with power and the dark recesses of chaos and the Abyss.

Here is where I am stuck:
A DM who runs a Shaundakul account (I presume they are the face of this deity on Amia) commented on how Shaundakul dislikes demons, and that this stands at odds with a Shaundakul cleric.
Also, while I built him as chaotic, I do not see him as unruly. I know that the classic alignment description of chaotic is frenzied and plans poorly, but that just does not ring true for me. I see chaotic in Dante Waymeet as less of a logical disposition and more of a philosophical disposition. Law and Order are inconvenient, and ultimately false in the upper dynamics of the cosmos. He is logical and can operate with order, but he finds power in the chaos of beings whose will supersede the falsities of order.

So I need some help in reconciling these things.

I would like to have him remain true to the Shaundakul tenets of aiding travelers and traders. I would simultaneously like for him to be self interested, that the enticement of the power he observes is a great draw. How would I make this so that Shaundakul would still grant him power, and that he still summons, studies, and cavorts with demons?

Thanks!

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 06 2016, 2:43 AM 

Developer

Clerics are given 1 step leeway from their deity's alignment, in general, I see that as either 'mortal failings', or simply being a somewhat unorthodox priest. Still, they can't totally break the dogma or they wouldn't be a priest, but my thoughts on the matter, he could be somewhat like this:

"The roads are a dangerous place. I know this well. Want to know what I've learned in my travels? In every corner, there's someone out to gut you. Either a bandit, or a monster, or some horror you've never even heard of. You won't survive long on the roads if you're a weakling. Are you a weakling and don't have what it takes to travel around? Go home and cry to your mother, be soft and never do anything with your life. You'll be safe then, if wholly useless.

But see, that's also the thing. Don't want to be useless? Gotta be strong. Gotta do what you can to survive. And you know what? Got to do what you can to help your mates and fellow travelers too, because in the end, all we have is each other, and if we don't help each other out, then there won't be anything more to life than making sure you don't die to some scrub out there. As useless as the guy who just shuts himself away from it all."

"Me? I know this. I was travelling from a young age, I had to fend for myself. I nearly got killed more than I'd care to admit. I had to get rough to survive out there, made a few bargains here and there. And there's this guy that helps me out. But he's tough stuff too, everything I thought to aspire to. Gave me a life worth living. So you know what? I'm probably going to rake your soft arse through the coals, and you'll be better for it. Tougher. Gotta be rough to live, and you gotta do what you have to do, since we live in a rough world. Don't expect me to treat you like a baby unless you are one. You may hate me for it, but I'm going to help a fellow traveler out, because it's all this world has."

Maybe this could help get your creative juices going.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:41 AM 

Player

I'm the Shaundakul account...

I'm not sure Demons and Shandakul can be reconciled, honestly, but Kobra's stuff sounds pretty good for a CE Shuandakun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]