View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 2:07 AM 

Player

Hey guys and gals, you all probably know I've been trying to get a gnoll for the past while and despite not getting it with my attempts seeing one get passed shows me it's possible I might have just been taking the wrong approach.

So I thought of making a Gnoll Ranger of Malar, the general idea would be that malarites somehow got one of the beastmen's young (Probably though a slaughter) and not killing the youngin (it's against Malar's Code) instead raised him to hunt. It's a rough idea as to why I'm bringing it up here it felt to me that it might fit the Gnoll personality more along with the god being within the same steps of the Gnoll's "Preferred Alignments.". I'd like to know what you all think along with anything constructive you might add.

Thank you all~

Levex Laraek- Aspiring Magi.
Vyth Kepsek "Ice-Fang"- Nail of Auril.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 2:18 AM 

Player

As a character concept on its own, I really like it. Alternative enough to explain why they're not part of the pack, but still very close to "mainstream" gnoll lore.

As a character that will have to interact with the rest of the server, I think it might be one hell of a challenge. If the malarites in question are our local band of miscreants, there wouldn't be much reason for this character to have any peaceful encounters with other PCs or most non-hostile NPCs.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 2:28 AM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
As a character that will have to interact with the rest of the server, I think it might be one hell of a challenge. If the malarites in question are our local band of miscreants, there wouldn't be much reason for this character to have any peaceful encounters with other PCs or most non-hostile NPCs.

Yea, that's the rough part of the idea. It would give them a place on the isle but not really give them a purpose besides being a savage hunter, I'd need to think of something that could "Break them away" just enough to want to interact with others without immediately trying to tear into them.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 2:33 AM 

Player

Only problem I see is the 'double evil' thing you're riding. You're a gnoll, so that's hated and basically a throwaway enemy on the server, and you're a malarite, another enemy people kill by the truckload.

Dunbak has a lot of issues and he's actually a Tempurian. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for an actual Malarian.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 4:14 AM 

Player

Well Malarites are on a weird moral standing ground they're certainly evil but not all around, They hunt to keep prey strong, they hate civilization as it allows the weak to survive goes against nature and doesn't let them activity set out in their duty of trying to make the races stronger so they have better prey. Many take it out of their way to try and disrupt daily life by leading hunts into villages or against them in a wanton rampage though those are the more radical followers and represent the CE branch. There's also the NE and CN, what might work best is a CN as Malar's dogma has rules, those specifically being to not harm the pregnant, and children (as to keep the hunt plentiful.) Also their holiday the Feast of Stags where one or two Malarites pledge themselves to hunt and feed villages that need it over the winter. They're a few things but I think it could be turned from wanting to kill everyone to helping people to become stronger wanting to secretly hunt them down and kill them later.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 4:29 AM 

Player

Well, you can say that all you want. People are going to hate the shit out of you for being a Gnoll (something Dunbak has to deal with) and double-hate you for being of Malar regardless of what you say. Dunbak (my gnoll PC) pretty much only gets by because he was able to befriend people by adamantly adhering to the dogma of Tempus, which most people respect. He can talk to the War-Knights as well, and Tempus as well Tempurians take all followers of all races so he has an 'in.'

Malar has no such luxury and Malarites are some of the best things to farm on the server. I personally don't think it's a good choice; Dunbak pretty much only gets unbanned from places BECAUSE he's a Tempurian. With your plan, how are you going to convince anyone to let you into town to shop? You'll be in Kampos forever.

So lets start with that. You can't change who this character is physically (A gnoll) but you can go deity shopping. Find a deity that will accept a gnoll follower, but also isn't considered a shitlord by the residents of the island.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 5:50 AM 

Player

I think Malar is a good choice. It offers a certain challenge to play on the server. It's an interesting idea. I play a Malarite and I'm not chased down for it. Even with dropping major hints people don't seem to catch on. Not sure if this is the server not knowing much about malarites or what.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Last edited by PassionateShadow on Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 6:07 AM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
I think Malar is a good choice. It offers a certain challenge to play on the server. It's an interesting idea. I play a Malarite and I'm not chased down for it. Even with dropping major hints people don't seem to catch on. Not sure if this is the server not knowing much about marinates or what.

People on the server don't know shit about a lot of things. Doesn't mean they aren't the ones calling the shots and/or making the calls about what is and what isn't ok or allowed in.

Question, is your Malarite also a race that's literally default banned from every settlement and has to bust their ass and/or track down DM's just so you RP just so you can get to a vendor to use that isn't the Dwarf by the graveyard or the shifty guy in Kampos? Or is your Malarite like most people that worship unsavory gods where it essentially never comes up?

What I don't like about the Malar Gnoll is that's two strikes on a character when having even one of those strikes gets you shit-listed. Whats your out? How do you plan on getting into Cordor? What are you going to say? When I walk past the Dale I'm able to calm people down by saying I'm of Tempus and only like honorable battle, then they slowly put the swords they drew away. What is this Malarite gnoll going to do? Talk about how cool the feast of stags is? Tell Rosary the Dale is safe in the hands of a Malarite that's taken it under its protection as per some obscure line the Malar dogma that only exists so Malarites have new shit to hunt in the spring?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:12 AM 

Player

Commie, I know you're trying to help... but chill a bit? The difference between what could happen and what will happen are all about execution, trail and error, and a lot of chance. The reason I even would want a character like that is so that I can Role-play it, because that's all we're here to do have fun role-playing who gives a rat's behind if I get black listed from a town. I'm not missing a ton to be honest, yes buying gear could be hard but there's a lot of hidden out of the way merchants (you'd be surprised, I was.) Not to mention places like Khem or Tarkuul which the only law is pretty much don't be a dick, A quick stop inside to get what I need and then I'm out again. It might have it's dry spells but I'm honestly getting to the point where I'm flicking on and off the server more often than not and this could be a really exciting experince. I don't want to hear about what could happen but want to figure out what will because that's what role-play is. What would be exciting and fun about the character is the adversity that they might face, they're not going to go around shouting to the heavens that they worship Malar and are going to try to raze the town but things like calling groups hunts, chiding those that show mercy on the weak, and maybe or maybe not using a res scroll on someone if he feel's they're just too weak. BUT we will never know until then.

What this is for is ideas on how to make it work, not telling me that it just won't, because it can.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:20 AM 

Player

I think ic should be kept ic and oc should be kept oc. The fact you think evil characters are throw away characters disappoints me. It's a role and I feel that based on the setting and the lore it could be plausible.

I don't think the player is too worried about the ooc difficulties. We've had worse before that came in to west a big snarling were boar and people got along with in IC to a degree. It was handled in character and turned out fine with each character playing their respective roles.

I belive the intent of this thread is to hep flesh out a back ground on the initial plot line and character suggested.

There was a good point brought up that I think could use a deal more discussion.

Would they be from the Malarites here on the isle or else where?

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:55 AM 

Player

Sanbert wrote:
Commie, I know you're trying to help... but chill a bit? The difference between what could happen and what will happen are all about execution, trail and error, and a lot of chance. The reason I even would want a character like that is so that I can Role-play it, because that's all we're here to do have fun role-playing who gives a rat's behind if I get black listed from a town.

Ok. But I doubt you'll be able to get a character approved that's banned from every town and has no way to interact with anything. I'm trying to help you out here so we can roll around as gnoll bros and not rip on you or something. That's all I've ever been doing.

PassionateShadow wrote:
I think ic should be kept ic and oc should be kept oc. The fact you think evil characters are throw away characters disappoints me. It's a role and I feel that based on the setting and the lore it could be plausible.

I don't think that at all and don't know why you have that impression.

PassionateShadow wrote:
I belive the intent of this thread is to hep flesh out a back ground on the initial plot line and character suggested. There was a good point brought up that I think could use a deal more discussion. Would they be from the Malarites here on the isle or else where?

Nobody cares about long backstories. If you want a character approved you need to show how you're going to interact with the server population, because that's what the DM's care about. They don't care about long ass backgrounds. Read the DM replies in the other threads; that's what you should be working on fixing, not a long backstory to show why your 'banned from everywhere and likely won't have a positive interaction anywhere' evil malarian Gnoll exists, because I don't see the DM team approving such a concept; it checks too many boxes.

I mean, I read the other threads, and I read this one too. It's essentially this;

1. Sanbert saying he wants something

2. The DM team telling him no and why not

3. Sanbert saying he still really wants the thing though and should have it, adding more backstory along the way and not really addressing the core complaints.

And we're working on thread number 3 now.

I have a pretty good idea of what you need to do to get some shit approved around here (20 odd DC's spent and one custom char approved) and I'm really trying to help you get this character fuckin made so we can #gnollbro around, but trying to get an an evil character that is also already banned from everywhere approved (which it in all likelihood won't be) won't get that done, and that's just the bottom line.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:15 AM 

Player

Perhaps you can make alternative suggestions?

Looks like Tempus is already taken.
Asmodaeus wont work
Lathander wont work
and now Malar wont work.

This isn't about long ass back stories this about plausibility, lore, and character.

Saying pick another god isn't going to help much. When you make three different concepts based on a basic idea that gets declined several times over, it gets hard to find motivation for making a new concept. You keep saying it's 'Just to get approved' goes against why we have requests. The focus shouldn't be entirely on 'Get X approved'. The focus of a requests should be on making a believable, viable character.

If this is a character you would like for yours to play with perhaps try offering concept suggestions you think would blend well with what you already have.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:41 AM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
Perhaps you can make alternative suggestions?

Looks like Tempus is already taken.
Asmodaeus wont work
Lathander wont work
and now Malar wont work.

This isn't about long ass back stories this about plausibility, lore, and character.

Saying pick another god isn't going to help much. When you make three different concepts based on a basic idea that gets declined several times over, it gets hard to find motivation for making a new concept. You keep saying it's 'Just to get approved' goes against why we have requests. The focus shouldn't be entirely on 'Get X approved'. The focus of a requests should be on making a believable, viable character.

If this is a character you would like for yours to play with perhaps try offering concept suggestions you think would blend well with what you already have.

Sure.

Tempus isn't 'taken,' either. Feel free to roll with it because Tempus fits the alignment and accepts people of all races specifically. It's also a war-god. That works well for a race known for savagery.

Uthgar is also good, loves strength and battles. His clerics often multi-class as barbarians, druids or rangers, one of these you wanted for your Gnoll. His little groups are actually called 'beast cults.'

Kossuth and his clerics aims tend to revolve around the acquisition of land, power and wealth, and the followers and clerics are often of the lawful neutral alignment. A fire-red gnoll that worships the purifying flames with a primal zeal would be pretty bitchin.

Ubtao just rocks. Read up on the ultimate battle he has to fight one day, it's pretty slick. It might not work because Amia isn't on Chult but Ubtao is cool enough to get mentioned anyway. Also dinosaurs.

Those are a few I just found real quick. I think all would fit quite well.

Also, the approval process is to make sure people with abnormal character concepts actually fit in with the world and keep the tone somewhat consistent. Otherwise you'd walk into cordor and see people with devil horns, angel wings, and a dragon tail, all at once, talking to a gold dragon blackguard and a silver-dragon palemaster about going to meet their friend to handle his nanomachine problem.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:50 AM 

Player

Oh I just saw this too.

Quote:
Those fit to succeed will do so. Kossuth's faith is innately superior to all other faiths, particularly that of Istishia. Fire and purity are one and the same. Smoke is produced by air in its jealousy. The reward of successful ambition is power. Reaching a higher state is inevitably accompanied by difficulty and personal pain of some sort. Kossuth sends his pure fire to temper our souls and allow us to achieve a pure state. Expect to be tested and rise to the challenge no matter what difficulty and pain it brings. Those above you have proven their worth and deserve your service. Guide others to Kossuth's pure light so that he may reforge all life into its essential form.

A fire worshiping Gnoll would unironically be really really neat and I'm sort of sorry I didn't research this more myself. The mental image of a 'clan' of these guys, staring into their bonfires, with empty bright orange holes for eyes that are utterly devoid of expression and reflect all the light from the pyres before them, sending prayers to the Lord of Flames, is a pretty wicked image.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Mikaz

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:51 AM 

Player

Thought I'd tune in here and mention Polymorph spell, which rangers can use from scrolls, lets you turn in to a fey, which might ease your interactions in cities.
Interacting with merchants in fey form lets you buy stuff normally but you can only sell items from containers oddly, but hey at least it's a spell you can cast as a ranger from a scroll without UMD.

Personally I approve Malar worshipping Gnoll Ranger myself, the CE alignment of the race and god can easily be played with Ranger and the class gains some ability to solo through dungeons after 6th level when you gain animal companion(I don't think you even need to multi-class with Ranger if you do not see a specific need to).

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 17:17 PM 

Player

Mikaz wrote:
Thought I'd tune in here and mention Polymorph spell, which rangers can use from scrolls, lets you turn in to a fey, which might ease your interactions in cities.
Interacting with merchants in fey form lets you buy stuff normally but you can only sell items from containers oddly, but hey at least it's a spell you can cast as a ranger from a scroll without UMD.

That is a pretty interesting work around, and I think Cordor just recently passed a law where Faries don't need a permit to get in/go around for whatever reason. So that might be a way /in/ and still it wouldn't be like he'd just linger around in town he hates the place. Just get what you need and get out. Though uh I don't think he's going to have the bluff to pass himself off as a fey (Though who knows fey are rather brutal albeit childish about it.)

Mikaz wrote:
Personally I approve Malar worshipping Gnoll Ranger myself, the CE alignment of the race and god can easily be played with Ranger and the class gains some ability to solo through dungeons after 6th level when you gain animal companion(I don't think you even need to multi-class with Ranger if you do not see a specific need to).

I just kind of thought it fit well both ways, Gnolls are all about following strength and Malar is about continuously trying to make everyone stronger (In the Survival of the Fittest way of running people down until they get away or die.) The only reason I can see I'd have to multiclass out of ranger is that the Dogma of Malar states not to kill at a distance, so that cuts bows out but some kind of build around TWF and probably some rogue/assassin levels would work but hurt my solo-ability.

Mikaz

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 18:57 PM 

Player

Ranger isn't really any better for Dex than Str.
Especially since the "Epic Abyss Shop" sells gloves with Two-weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity feats, so you can just use those with Medium/Heavy armor and you'll still get the benefits from Imp. Two-weapon fighting feat Rangers get at 9th level.

Personally I agree on the belief that dex rangers aren't that good without multiclassing, but when you throw away the general picture people have of a ranger and just study the class's mechanical properties, Str is the way to go.
Being able to swap from two-weapons to stick and board style without sacrificing feats on it is always nice, not to mention the high dmg Str Ranger pulls off with Favoured Enemies, Bane of Enemies and Str modifier.

Not to mention how effective pets get at epic levels, some receiving high Damage Reduct(which can be penetrated with +1 or +2 weapons, but it still blocks stuff like boulders, traps, physical dmg from spells) which combined with Amias Animal companions Damage Resistance(15/- at 21+) and regenation +1/5 Ranger levels makes them very good at staying up and going.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Animal_companions

But this is all build stuff now and ment for the fishing topic, so we'll have to continue this part of your thread there or in PMs if you have any more questions/doupts about the feasibility of the builds mechanical prowess.

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 30 2016, 21:19 PM 

Player

I wouldn't mind taking build talk into pm's or maybe posting up in the fishing forum but what I really need at the moment is feasibility, my last two requests had their builds but weren't seen as feasible so nothing else mattered.

Mikaz

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:51 AM 

Player

I see nothing wrong with a CE Gnoll Ranger that worships Malar.

You could just say he was a CE Gnoll Ranger that worshipped Yeenoghu but his tribe got slaughtered by hunters/paladins/adventurers while he was on a scouting mission/away/scavenging somewhere and as he set off on his own to live a life more focused on wandering and hunting to survive he fell under the worship of Malar.

And I don't consider Ranger on the same level of divine class as a Paladin or a Cleric, so a more loose tie between the Gnoll and Malar could be made here. Perhaps the Gnoll learned of Malar during his travels and became revere him as an aspect of Yeenoghu or a similar God/Spirit/Being and was drawn to him becouse of that.

Now I don't know how you'd play Gnolls typical pack behavior in Amia, since obviously we don't have too many gnolls, but perhaps he could find a new pack from Lycans or other CE wildlife/PCs.

All that said, perhaps it'd be best to ahve DM pop in here and say few words if this thread is being useful or heading in the right direction in helping you make a suitable Gnoll character.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 05 2016, 15:02 PM 

Player

Quote:
Personally I agree on the belief that dex rangers aren't that good without multiclassing, but when you throw away the general picture people have of a ranger and just study the class's mechanical properties, Str is the way to go.
Being able to swap from two-weapons to stick and board style without sacrificing feats on it is always nice, not to mention the high dmg Str Ranger pulls off with Favoured Enemies, Bane of Enemies and Str modifier.

Fun fact, the original ranger was inspired by Aragorn, not a very dexterous character, was he?

When it comes to the character's viability, he might find himself welcome enough into UD to get gear down there.

I tried something very remotely similar through Lyelanna, and from my experience my advice is if you are going to play this CE malarite gnoll, make sure you have a faction or group you can be certain you can rp with.

Sanbert

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 06 2016, 1:07 AM 

Player

Sadly I don't think this is going to come to fruition, I'm not leaving the server yet and am really debating it at this point. I really lost my drive to try, I don't want to cause any more drama than what has already happened but I'm honestly just scared to try and get shut down once again just to have all that work put down the drain. I get told I can't keep looking at the past but when the past is over four months of headaches and tears it's not worth it to give it who knows... a month, two, three? Most of my friends have left and I'm at this weird point that I've made friends on the server but... it's just not fun for me anymore without the people I care about around.

Thank you all for your input, I'll be around maybe.
~Sanbert

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 06 2016, 1:57 AM 

Player

Sanbert wrote:
Sadly I don't think this is going to come to fruition, I'm not leaving the server yet and am really debating it at this point. I really lost my drive to try, I don't want to cause any more drama than what has already happened but I'm honestly just scared to try and get shut down once again just to have all that work put down the drain. I get told I can't keep looking at the past but when the past is over four months of headaches and tears it's not worth it to give it who knows... a month, two, three? Most of my friends have left and I'm at this weird point that I've made friends on the server but... it's just not fun for me anymore without the people I care about around.

Thank you all for your input, I'll be around maybe.
~Sanbert

You can likely get the malar gnoll approved mang just go write it up and throw it on requests. It will be a long hard road ic to get unbanned from places so you can function but the character makes sense so there's no real reason for it to get turned down.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Akhlys

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 08 2016, 3:55 AM 

Player

Malarites are one of the most tolerable followers of evil deities. They tame the population of beasts that would encroach on other people, such as giant boars, bears, any sort of wild cat, knife-ears, and deer. They fight off the encroachment of civilization and its unneeded bureaucracies, keeping populations safe from paper work, court mandated appearances, and guards who keep you from their city by knowing your face/appearance/religion based on text that floats above your head given to them three years ago. During the winter months they are required to hunt to bring meat to their village to help them survive through the harshest season of the year.

Unlike most chaotic evil gods, Malar has a strict set of rules that are agreeable with most people and alignments. I really dislike the Forest of Despair because it has those druids that use flame strike who aren't very Malar-like at all.

1. Don't kill the pregnant
2. Don't kill the young
3. Fight up close and bloody

Remember that even goodly hunters give sacrifices and pay homage to the Beastlord, just as sailors do to Umberlee or Talos. It's mainly because Nobanion is a pussy and everyone knows it, though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]