View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Fimbulvetr

PostPosted: Tue, May 03 2016, 14:34 PM 

Player

The Blackfang Marauders

The Brokentooth goblins of the Amia Frontier have long struggled to hold lands once theirs to hunt and roam.
For a time, the Kobolds in the east had united them beneath a banner of hatred. Yet now? Their people fracture once more.
The goblins sent to settle the reclaimed caverns have fallen under the purview of a High Priest, who has broken ties with the Goblin King of The Bramble Wood.
Adventurers from Cordor prey on both groups, whilst Gibberlings encroach from the south, seemingly without number.

The Yellowfang, encroach ever more boldly.
Few hobgoblins stay with no wars to lead.
Ogrillion concern themselves less with the Brokentooth as more bloody, plunder-filled opportunities lie elsewhere.

It is time, to change their fortunes.

The idea here would be to rekindle the use of Brokentooth Caves as a roleplaying hub, for monstrous races. The Kobalds, much to the credit of the players leading the faction, have successfully created a sanctuary in the quagmire. But the goblins fester in a place of stagnation. This is a shame, as goblins have always been a staple of D&D bad guys. The terror of the low-level adventuring party. I am writing this here as I have found myself enjoying my goblin immensely, and believe that having a few more greenskinned scumbags running about might add an interesting dynamic to the server.
The idea here would be to focus upon making the Bramble Wood into something like a Goblin Town with improvements such as Boar Pens, a Worg Pit, another cavern opened up as a mine and establishing surface dwellings and a large tribal hall. All fenced off behind a palisade. This would involve pushing back the Gibberlings or finding a way to change their focus, clearing the land, holding the land whilst construction was happening and.. naturally.. afterwards.
We'd need to negotiate, find resources. Steal resources. Kidnap experts. Perhaps even find a few hobgoblins to train the rabble of smaller goblins before we can hold the land properly.
Following the expansion of land, would come attracting or uniting tribes and increasing the mass of the goblin horde. Players would be united into the Blackfang Marauders, or whatever name suits! The objective to raid the other evil races, such as the Blood Moons and Troglodites to weaken them sufficiently to become a major player in the monstrous humanoid circles.
With the plunder from such wars, the idea would be to hire some morally ambiguous miners from L'Obsul and establish a link to the Under River to make trade.
Hopefully this idea appeals to some of you! I genuinely believe this could bring some of the old tension back. Sure the Banites didn't make many friends, and many people saw the horsemen as a nuisance. But, you can't deny they gave everyone something to do. Something to be on the look for. A reason to patrol.
And sure, these are goblins. It could very well be the case we get our assess kicked more often than not, but the objective isn't necessarily to harass everyone else. Goblins will attack the weakest settlements they can find, and PC's aren't weak. Only once the Blood Moons, Troglodites, Gibberlings and other goblins are handled could you consider striking against a well established town. Bendir has walls. Wharftown has walls. Uhm is gone. Actand is a volcanic mess. . . We have no choice but to play the long game, and skirmish. But it'd mean alot of RP, and that's good... Right?

A few ideas about faction objectives:-

:arrow: Push the Gibberlings out of the Bramble Wood, or find a way to refocus them elsewhere, and consolidate Brokentooth Territory.
:arrow: Put down the Yellowfang, to establish some dominion over the woodlands and assault their caverns to the south.
:arrow: Negotiate with the Stinkpot Warrens, if they cannot be convinced to join us. Put them down.

:arrow: Once the immediate area is secured, and local threats are contained. Start to clear the land to make room for a small surface settlement. This settlement would cater for things like pig farming, Worg Pits and tribal halls and watch towers. Thereby making it harder for an enemy to attack the caverns.
:arrow: Start negotiations with L'Obsul for trade in Mushroom Beer and Hog meat. Find a market for any plunder in the Under Markets.

:arrow: Form player characters into the Blackfang Marauders officially; raid and bully the other evil monster factions for their loot.
:arrow: Attempt to remain neutral to other surface settlements; 'we won't raid you, if you won't raid us'.
:arrow: If we survive this long, we've made some lasting change! Therefore can start Amia's Goblin Wars and all die horribly. 8)

Vyranna 'Vyr' d'Mere - Ex-Knight of Benwick

Snikt Blackfang - Champion of Maglubiyet

Last edited by Fimbulvetr on Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:55 AM, edited 2 times in total.

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, May 04 2016, 0:36 AM 

Player

Man, this would take a lot of work to get off the ground, but I really like it. Especially the inevitable clash with it being so close to Cordor and Bendir. A lot of possibilities. Kudos.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Fimbulvetr

PostPosted: Wed, May 04 2016, 8:53 AM 

Player

I agree, it would mean a lot of work.
Though honestly, in the perfect world of my imagination, I see the Marauders as having Orogs and Hobgoblins too - so you'd feel like the elite of the evil scumbags... It's just a case of people wanting to play a proper, dirty monster.

Another step would be expanding the caverns to have the other goblin idols. The bugbear god for example is fantastic for a barbarian... He encourages his followers to take the heads of their foes and present them at his altar. Likewise the Hobgoblin god is basically Goblin-Red knight.. With a torture fetish. :twisted:

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, May 06 2016, 22:55 PM 

Player

One thing I think is absolutely awesome about this is the thought of like ten goblins all attacking a small trade caravan. The gobolins controlled by players, rather than DMs... Something makes me just absolutely adore that thought.

Well, anyway, I like this idea and felt like just backing this up, since it seems like a lot was done in PMs. I like the general idea, because first, there is literally a single person I know made a goblin. And he is only on randomly and has many alts. Second, I always felt like the brokentooth cave was a bit weird. As a spawn, it has the least benefits I know of (not counting the weird drow spawns). They sell strong weapon poisons there. Which aren't really that much better than the weak ones. Other than that, I would love to see them made useful in some way. And travel there is a real pain IMO. You need to walk to Cordor and travel from there. So, any attempted improval is awesome!

In total, there are 18 goblins, 3 hobgoblins, 2 ogrillions and 3 wolves. Apart from the goblins, I feel like all the numbers could be a bit more... It seems like too little to have a "king" (and don't you dare say "but, there are many more you just don't see!") Let's make goblins great again!

I'm sorry.

speedgrab

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 05 2016, 16:43 PM 

Player

As someone who for a few years played a goblin, it's extremely fun if you can get the numbers all on at once. Dill Buck-tooth was the one i played. Some of my more memorable times were playing with the other goblins while we were all still lower levels. Being cowards from the main adventuring population while still being menaces to newer toons.

One of the main issues is the fact your playing a monstrous race, as a monstrous race. You'll probably get into a fair bit of Pvp so you need to get players whom are okay with that. Respect the ruling and be good when you've lost or when you've won. Though personally through all of that i had more fun playing as a hassle than a threat.

Unfortunately i'm restricted with play times so don't want to get into anything factiony for a while. I do recommend Goblin RP though for people. Lie, cheat and menace the island!

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 05 2016, 20:34 PM 

Player

Well, thanks for the bump, speedgrab.
Since Fimbulvetr is taking a break from Amia, I just wanted to gauge the interest in this (again). So, if anyone still is interested in this, please hit me up in a PM.

Fimbulvetr

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 20 2017, 11:20 AM 

Player

Bumpity.

Going to be much more active and pushing on this particular point:-

Blatant Self-Advertisement wrote:
:arrow: Push the Gibberlings out of the Bramble Wood, or find a way to refocus them elsewhere, and consolidate Brokentooth Territory.

Obviously, find me in-game for the RP's. If anyone's playing goblinoids in general, I'd love to see a load of filthy greenskins running about!

Opustus

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 20 2017, 15:45 PM 

Developer

Go go Goblins!

I like your concept, but I think it has one grave fault which might be vital to its success: Your faction objective and the suggested plotlines do not directly involve and include the server's active constituents. I think you need to reorient the "main thing" to be more inclusive: embark on a campaign to inhabit a city, forge alliances with evil factions to overthrow a faction. Right now it seems like you only intend to interact with a lot of NPCs, which would require considerable DM oversight and might not actively involve PCs as a whole. Negotiations with L'Obsul for trade sounds like a step in the right direction, though.

I would recommend stating a clear objective that tries to solve the aforementioned issues and which would connect your faction firmly to existing RP.

EDIT: I didn't mean that your plan couldn't work out. I just mean that seems to require the commitment of a DM and several players; the latter would be facilitated by gaining more traction by making yourself visible in Amia by way of interaction with other people. If you are aiming to run a campaign, I think your plan is sound. If you are looking for longevity and self-perpetuation, I think you will need to adjust the plan. Then again, people are strange and whatever can happen! I wish you the best of luck with your faction.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 20 2017, 16:32 PM 

Player

Yeah, speaking from experiance your best bet to getting your faction "legitimized" is by working with other players/other factions, using what you have IG to do it.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Fimbulvetr

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 21 2017, 16:31 PM 

Player

I hadn't thought about it from a longevity stand point and you're both right. We'll try to take it all on board, thanks for the feedback!

Fimbulvetr

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 23 2017, 14:21 PM 

Player

Changes:-

Something more to this effect, though I'd image the reality will be in many ways different.

:arrow: Put down the Yellowfang, to establish some dominion over the woodlands and assault their caverns to the south.

:arrow: Once the immediate area is secured, and local threats are contained. Start to clear the land to make room for a small surface settlement. This settlement would cater for things like pig farming, Worg Pits and tribal halls and watch towers. Thereby making it harder for an enemy to attack the caverns.

:arrow: Start negotiations with L'Obsul for trade in Mushroom Beer and Hog meat. Find a market for any plunder in the Under Markets.

:arrow: Establish a presence in L'Obsul to keep an ear and eyes on the state of the UD.

:arrow: Exploit any UD goings on that the goblins can potentially profit from.

:arrow: Form player characters into the Marauders officially; raid and bully the other factions for their loot, or extort them for gold.

:arrow: Make contact with other evil factions and make agreements or establish rivalries.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 23 2017, 17:50 PM 

Player

*Thumbs up*

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]