View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2018, 6:53 AM 

Tester

:idea:

The title is self explanatory.

Tabletop: Actually sitting down with friends and playing D&D reminds me of why I fell in love with NWN in the first place, even though NWN was was introduced me to pen and paper. I played my first game of 5th Edition over the weekend(we usually play 3rd or Pathfinder). No matter what edition it is, the joy of it comes from sitting down with friends to experience a story together. Which is the same joy I find in Amia.

RPGs/JRPGs/Artbooks: I could literally look at the artwork for games like Drakengard(I and II, III not so much), Dragon's Crown, and even games that I've never actually played all day. And in the process, I would come up with a dozen characters, locations, cultures, that I would never get to experience, not on Amia or even playing and DMing PnP. It's a blessing and a curse. But I really enjoy worldbuilding and creating settings. Whenever I see writing that goes into making a game or setting different than just a world of hats, it's something I'll dive into perhaps even more than the actual storyline or gameplay. This leads to me knowing and admiring loads of lore about common nerddom topics, but engaging in relatively little beyond that .I.E. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and WH40k.

Exploration: Anyone else here take "couch vacations"? I was doing this long before I heard it going by that name, but essentially it's sitting somewhere and roaming around Google Maps in street view. Some nights I'd settle down with a drink, pick a country at random, put on some appropriate traditional music, and suddenly I'm wandering the backroads of Bulgaria at 4 AM. In that same vein, our server is huge, and when I get restless, I can in the same way wander around one of the hundreds of now forgotten reaches of the module.

Pinterest: I do not even have a pinterest account, and yet I will spend hours scrolling, opening new tabs, and favoriting anything that could inspire me in similar ways the the above point. Go ahead. Check out the Character Concept tab. Welcome to the K-hole that engulfs so much of my free time.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2018, 7:03 AM 

Player

My inspiration for a lot of my characters comes from songs I like.

Peraga, for example, was born from the song "River below" by Billy Talent.

Rejected since day one.
My name is Bastard son.
I've been damned so many times I lost count.
[...]
They'll think I'm insane,
But you'll all know my name!

Of course, characters develop differently because of all the people influencing them here, but the concept I'm going for almost always stems from a song for my characters.

Suhjet

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2018, 8:34 AM 

Player

Music is very inspirational for me. I enjoy non-lyrical works more often than not, and I tend to listen to weird, dark, ambient, and drone styles of work. It can evoke things in my imagination or produce a sense of being somewhere else but here. I have an affinity for themes Lovecraftian or alien in music and art.

As I lay in bed before I fall asleep, I occasionally place a character in my mind and let my imagination wander. I end up with interesting situations play out in my head. I've also had many instances of my dreams creating a film-like experience that is out of my control. This post was actually the result of one of those dreams.

I take a little bit from the tabletop games I play. The past couple campaigns have been 5e, but I'm running Rogue Trader sometime this summer. Out of fantasy and into the grimdark future of the WH:40k universe. My party members are a bunch of creative lawyers, so it's rarely a boring session.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2018, 10:54 AM 

Player

There is much I believe can be inspirational.

From music that fits into the world one want to play in or make. To shows and other games. I like to read Irish myths and legends about ghosts, banshees and such. My sister lives there so I been there 6 times in 7 years now. Not to much but it been enough to get inspired by the strange island and its history. Other times my inspiration is not creative, Sylveera for example is just inspired by Warcraft Elves, especially the Rangers of Quel-Thalas. I am sure this is a bit heretical to DnD loremaster! And im sorr for that :D

Your exploration post there, made me very nostalgic. Just wandering around in forgotten places, in real life or digitally is really wonderous, but so is also wandering around strange and forgotten places in a game! Especially a place that has not been used for long. If walls and trees...stones and plants could talk!

Nostalgia I think, also inspires me. Budly as a character is a lot about nostalgic mindset, "It was better before". Even if I forgotten so much It is still a big part of the character. And I play him as the old one who look back to another age, to another time when things maybe not was simpler but there was a simpler way in his mindset.

Books too. Buying historical books, the mentioned myths and legends and ghost stories from "real life" is awesome inspiration.

Not the best image...but this one! Books like this!

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, May 08 2018, 17:35 PM 

Tester

Music usually makes me think of situations and characters that have already happened. But sometimes music videos and mashups give me ideas for new stuff. For instance:

A Calishite Bard/Knight Commander

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, May 08 2018, 18:59 PM 

Player

My characters tend to be something I find "badass" at the time, whether from music, a recent book I've read, or a sourcebook I recently devoured and thought interesting. I have some other sources, and honestly, with the amount of characters I've made, or thought up, there's a lot. Still, a few characters that really stuck/stick with me:

Mezwar: Partially because I simply find the Assassin class awesome, and wanted to do something with it. Another inspiration was, I believe, my first characters on here, also an Assassin, who kind of got involved with the Gentleman's Club when he was level 5. I think that was on one of my first days on here... Also, I met one of the duders I probably miss most, Blackjack/MessiahOfDerp, who was really nice OOC, and probably is one of the reasons I got stuck here so hard. All that made me love assassins, and all...
Admittedly, something that kept me interested in Mez was the first book of the Night Angel triology, which is basically a book about an awesome Assassin.
Similar goes for Farija.

My Pale Masters probably were inspired most by the Amia lore of Pale Masters, being a way I could have some RP by myself. (Which I actually kind of like doing, just writing a bit of stuff on the spot, I just tend to not do it in front of other PCs...) So I'd RP out the rituals, taking a few screenies, and just generally having fun. Also, I just like the mechanical idea of 80+ AC.

Alex was just inspired by the RDD changes, being the somewhat weird, but high-hp of a con RDD. Afterhe went to Tarkuul, I had him rebuilt though, to be actually useful alone.
Similar goes for Aiden Brandr, where I just wanted a wizard, rather simple. On top of that, Abj/Conj seemed a pretty powerful spell focus choice.
Lastly, a concept I'm still thinking about is another simple powergrab, an evocation fire mage type thing. Again, mostly inspired by mechanical changes, but also by other fire-based casters on the server.

And, I feel like my inspirations probably all were a bit shallow, lol.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, May 17 2018, 2:26 AM 

Tester

DnD Class inspiration: Eldritch knights, spellswords and magical blades
DnD female wizards and warlocks

Surprised but happy the first one made the front page.

Duskryn

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2018, 1:15 AM 

Player

I often get inspiration from classic literature such as Ovid, along with historical figures, and various other sources in literature, such as Lord Byron, Kierkegaard and Nietzche.

Even in from various world religions and mythologies. Lately however, reading up more on the lower planes, especially Baator has been quite interesting.

"And he is your Lord Husband. If there is a difference, please explain it to me...."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]