View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
Fyona

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 16 2015, 16:45 PM 

Player

I'm having trouble installing NWN on my new machine. Autorun doesn't work, so Windows Explorer opens the window for me to view files on the disc (Disc 1). I can start the installer form there, put in the keys, and begin the installation. However, the progress bar only goes a little ways and then freezes during "Updating component registration". I have rebooted and even tried a different DVD ROM. I tried to run in in compatibility mode for "Previous versions of Windows" (I notice Windows XP SP2 isn't available as an option on this machine). Also, I noticed that "Run as administrator" is greyed out even though my account is an admin account. I have left UAC on the default setting, so I'm not sure why it's greyed out.

I would really like to get back to Amia but the forces of evil are trying to stop me! Please help! Thanks in advance! =) <3

Oh, I'm running Win7 Ultimate and have a copy of NWN Complete. =)

wolfurt

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 16 2015, 16:56 PM 

Player

CautiousDread

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 16 2015, 17:21 PM 

Player

For starters, Microsoft removed auto run in Windows 7 due to security issues that it could potentially cause, big gap there.

is Windows XP (Service Pack 2) there instead? Since they changed the name at one point I believe.

Also, the admin account you mentioned, is it the first Account you've made on this OS or not? Since sometimes it'll call itself admin but wont be.
Maybe temporarily change the UAC settings to be minimum security (Never Notify)

Is it 32bit or 64bit Windows Ultimate?

Have you tried leaving it alone for 30 minutes or so? Since It was quite a common thing that the CD's didn't install it properly, heck I remember mine just having the installation bar disappear entirely.

Furthermore,

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

Sprite by Raua

Casvenx

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 16 2015, 19:52 PM 

Player

Can you copy the whole folder from the old comp and just paste it into the new one? I recall having to do something like that on one computer, but cannot remember why exactly.

davis114

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 16 2015, 20:22 PM 

Player

Copying programs from one OS to another can be tricky, and can cause quite a few stability issues. Did your old computer have the same OS as your new one?

I'd definitely look into your permission settings. It doesn't sound like your account is actually an admin account, even if it does say it.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Fyona

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:00 AM 

Player

CautiousDread wrote:
For starters, Microsoft removed auto run in Windows 7 due to security issues that it could potentially cause, big gap there.

Did not know that. Thanks! =)

CautiousDread wrote:
is Windows XP (Service Pack 2) there instead? Since they changed the name at one point I believe.

The only option given to me in "Run in compatibility mode for:" is "Previous Windows version". I remember using WinXP SP2 last time.

CautiousDread wrote:
Also, the admin account you mentioned, is it the first Account you've made on this OS or not? Since sometimes it'll call itself admin but wont be.
Maybe temporarily change the UAC settings to be minimum security (Never Notify)

It is the first account. I cannot imagine why it would not have admin privileges. I'll try turning UAC off.

CautiousDread wrote:
Is it 32bit or 64bit Windows Ultimate?

64 bit Win7 Ultimate, and it's the same OS I had previously.

CautiousDread wrote:
Have you tried leaving it alone for 30 minutes or so? Since It was quite a common thing that the CD's didn't install it properly, heck I remember mine just having the installation bar disappear entirely.

I let it sit overnight and tried it again right before I posted this. Same result. And yes, I rebooted several times. This is proving to be very frustrating. =(

No one has a clue why it freezes during "Updating component registration"? What does that even mean?

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:11 AM 

Player

How long do you let it run at the component registration? That part can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour with older programs.

MoshingChris wrote:

Anatida

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:15 AM 

Player

I seem to remember when I first installed on Windows 7 that I read you /had/ to copy the full directory from an old install and then run the critical update. That was what I did for mine. and I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (SP 1), and NWN runs under Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility. I'm wondering why you do not have that compatibility mode.

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:33 AM 

Player

I'm running Windoze 7.....not sure what version...Professional? It was installed for me, and NWN was set up for me too. I totally suck at this stuff. I do remember something about running in compatibility mode though. That seemed a rather critical part of the problem. I wish I had more to offer :(

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:47 AM 

Player

There is a way it can be safely done from an old HD. You need to be careful with that though. Copying files between HD's is easy, but programs can corrupt pretty quickly. I'd say let the install run for an hour. If it's still not moving past the registration phase, then we can talk moving stuff over, provided you still have your old hard drive.

Compatibility mode shouldn't affect the actual install, just the game's function post installation. You'll need to run it in compatibility mode once it's installed, but 7 shouldn't have a problem installing the game normally.

Let it run and tell me what happens! Including any error messages you might get in the Event Viewer.

MoshingChris wrote:

Fyona

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:49 AM 

Player

Thank you all very much for the replies. I gave up after 15 minutes when it froze because it didn't behave this way last time I installed it. I'll just let it go until something happens or I wake up in the morning and it hasn't moved. =P

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:50 AM 

Player

Do you have your old hard drive?

MoshingChris wrote:

Fyona

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 19 2015, 0:47 AM 

Player

I was going to try my old hard drive next, but I got it installed! I was apparently too impatient because for some reason it took a LOT longer to install than ever before, so I thought it was freezing. =P

Thank you thank you thank you all for helping! You're the best! =D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]