View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
A_Winter's_Night

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 12 2015, 6:34 AM 

Player

So, setting up a roughly new Win7 pc and the nightmare of Neverwinter Nights not working has come up.

Iv installed it from disc, updated it to 1.69, ran config, then tried to run by using the Nwnmain.exe. Which then asks if i'm sure, naturally hit yes.. then nothing.

Things iv tried so far among various re-installs and tinkering around. Are as follows. (Nothing having any difference, NWN wont even start)
-Running under compatibility mode for windows XP, as admin.
-Patching to 1.71
-Copying my NWN folder from my other computer
-Running fresh before any updates.
-All drivers are up to date to my knowledge of them.

Does anyone have suggestions how to convince this newish pc to do as its told and run NWN?

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:57 PM 

Player

Check out Fenguard's post. I linked a site with some helpful tips in there for this issue.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 12 2015, 13:11 PM 

Player

This may be a stupid suggestion but did you try to Right-click the NwN file and "Run as Administrator"? Sometimes that helps because it gets blocked.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Jolena Ogden

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 12 2015, 22:37 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
This may be a stupid suggestion but did you try to Right-click the NwN file and "Run as Administrator"? Sometimes that helps because it gets blocked.

Yes, do the above, and make sure to run the "nwmain" game application (nwmain.exe) directly. The "nwn" shell (nwn.exe) that used to let you choose between the game, the toolset, and other options does not work on Windows 7. The following worked for me in both Windows 7 and 8 and should get you going. It sounds like you've done some or most of this, but see the note on #4:

1. Open NWN folder and find the nwmain application (nwmain.exe).
2. Right click on this and select properties. Set it to run with full permissions, as administrator and under compatibility mode Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3.
3. Create a desktop shortcut: Right click on nwmain.exe and chose "Send To" and select "Desktop (create shortcut)" on the right click menu.
4. Update your drivers for video and sound. (Go to the video and audio card manufacturers' support pages. PC manufacturer support may or may not be the latest.)

Video drivers not up to date can cause NWN to start and run very slow or not at all. If you are seeing this, you definitely need to do step 4 and may need to go to your card manufacturer's site. (That was true for me on a Toshiba laptop.)

Good luck!

~Nim Elen Laurina Taure~

Few know the light as one who has come through the dark ...

A_Winter's_Night

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 13 2015, 3:15 AM 

Player

No luck thus far.

Iv went through Fenguards post, tried out the DirectX since the pc was missing that, same with running as administrator, followed the process written by Jolena Ogden on this post along with trying to shortcut into Amia.

The link Davis114 posted on Fenguards one just confuses me unfortunately, so not sure in that what to try.

This computer seems to dislike NWN, an refuses to open it.. or do anything still, if it was at-least crashing it would be progress x.x

davis114

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 13:39 PM 

Player

So it's not crashing, it's just not opening at all? The top two contenders for that would either be a faulty installation of never winter, with your install files or the 1.69 patch being corrupted, or whatever antivirus program you have blocking the scripts.

Have you tried the critical rebuild? And what AV do you have?

MoshingChris wrote:

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 16:23 PM 

Player

davis114 wrote:
So it's not crashing, it's just not opening at all? The top two contenders for that would either be a faulty installation of never winter, with your install files or the 1.69 patch being corrupted, or whatever antivirus program you have blocking the scripts.

Have you tried the critical rebuild? And what AV do you have?

I agree, I suggest you uninstall just NwN and reinstall it. Keep your Amia haks (I think that's a option). I'm still looking for solutions, but I am confident that would work.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

A_Winter's_Night

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 14 2015, 19:34 PM 

Player

Got it :D

*Shakes fist at drivers* Turned out to be drivers.... I missed a disc >.>
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions :D

Cheers - Winter.

Lascer

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 0:39 AM 

Player

If you didn't have DirectX before, you probably updated it to one of the current versions of it. You will ALSO need DirectX9c for NWN. NWN uses something in it that was not updated to be included in the modern versions. It runs, but 9c helps -a lot-.

A_Winter's_Night

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 20:55 PM 

Player

It hates me >.>

Progress is still progress, it now runs and opens but after the videos which run perfect, the game itself is terribly slow, and the graphics seem a little subpar when a module is entered. Anyone know anything about this problem i haven't encountered this before.

And directx 9c is in.

davis114

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 15 2015, 23:33 PM 

Player

Have you adjusted your video settings in game? You might need to lower then down

MoshingChris wrote:

Lascer

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 16 2015, 2:40 AM 

Player

Switch audio to a 2d option if you haven't already, it strangely causes lag otherwise.

Right click the application, where you choose to run it in compatibility mode there's another option to run it in 'reduced color' mode. Set that to 16bit. It won't actually change the colors, but those two things helped hugely on my copy.

Jolena Ogden

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 16 2015, 17:38 PM 

Player

A_Winter's_Night wrote:
Progress is still progress, it now runs and opens but after the videos which run perfect, the game itself is terribly slow, and the graphics seem a little subpar when a module is entered. Anyone know anything about this problem i haven't encountered this before.

That sounds very much like the problem I had, and the only thing that solved it was to find my laptop's video processor manufacturer and model number (nVidia for me) and then go to the video manufacturer (nVidia) site to download the latest drivers they had posted. Only then did NWN run at appropriate speed. If video settings and the others suggestions don't fix your problem, I highly suggest you try that.

(I am assuming, since you mention discs, that those came from your PC manufacturer, which very possibly don't have the latest drivers for your video.)

~Nim Elen Laurina Taure~

Few know the light as one who has come through the dark ...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]