View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
thunderbrush

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:48 AM 

Player

While that mechanism is in place, be sure to watch for sneaky players tossing down long lasting AOE spells like Creeping Doom. The mob will remain and take DoT until the spell runs it's course. Beeeewaaaaare.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 08 2018, 17:12 PM 

Player

This would be a separate issue as changing how long bosses persists absent any PCs would not fix this.

I will however ask the team about and look into modifying such AOE spells so that they do not damage non-PCs if the spell castor is not present in the same area.

Fel'Brin - I am one with the shadows

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 22 2018, 15:42 PM 

Player

Moving this To "Improving Amia"

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 23 2018, 3:55 AM 

Player

I know this is probably an odd thing to point out. But wouldn't this generally be a being smarter than the challenge scenario? Doesn't really seem like something overly needing of fixing.

If you could do it on an IC level. Cast creeping doom in the place the boss is trapped and disappear until it dies. I don't see why it couldn't persist as it is. Granted I see it as a hunter's mentality of being smarter than the prey you are hunting. Not a: it must be hard for even people that think about the scenario, kinda thing.

idk it may only be just me but I think if people are smart enough to come to this conclusion: kudos to them.

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 27 2018, 13:34 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
I know this is probably an odd thing to point out. But wouldn't this generally be a being smarter than the challenge scenario? Doesn't really seem like something overly needing of fixing.

If you could do it on an IC level. Cast creeping doom in the place the boss is trapped and disappear until it dies. I don't see why it couldn't persist as it is. Granted I see it as a hunter's mentality of being smarter than the prey you are hunting. Not a: it must be hard for even people that think about the scenario, kinda thing.

idk it may only be just me but I think if people are smart enough to come to this conclusion: kudos to them.

IMO, it's taking advantage of 2 things in order to cheese the encounter.

1. It's taking advantage of the fact that the AI is limited in that it doesn't know to move out of an obvious harmful zone. Even "dumb" animals would probably not just sit idle in an area where they are taking residual damage.

2. It's taking advantage of transitions to ensure that the creature can no longer see you with no mechanical means to overcome this handicap.

There is being smart and then there is mechanic abuse.

A scenario where I would agree with you is: If the ai reflected reality a bit more and allowed the creature to move out of harm if it is taking damage and doesn't have a target to chase, and the hunter remained in the area so as not to abuse the transition.

There are things that can freely be done ICly that are prohibited from being done, such as flying/sj ing to a ledge and using range attacks to fudge fights, transition abuse. etc.

To this point, my suggestion that if AOE spells in general only do harm if the castor is loaded into the same area, this would fix transition abuse. You could still lay down an AOE and hide ICly via hiding or invisibility.

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 27 2018, 13:34 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:

IMO, it's taking advantage of 2 things in order to cheese the encounter.

1. It's taking advantage of the fact that the AI is limited in that it doesn't know to move out of an obvious harmful zone. Even "dumb" animals would probably not just sit idle in an area where they are taking residual damage.

2. It's taking advantage of transitions to ensure that the creature can no longer see you with no mechanical means to overcome this handicap.

There is being smart and then there is mechanic abuse.

A scenario where I would agree with you is: If the ai reflected reality a bit more and allowed the creature to move out of harm if it is taking damage and doesn't have a target to chase, and the hunter remained in the area so as not to abuse the transition.

There are things that can freely be done ICly that are prohibited from being done, such as flying/sj ing to a ledge and using range attacks to fudge fights, transition abuse. etc.

To this point, my suggestion that if AOE spells in general only do harm if the castor is loaded into the same area, this would fix transition abuse. You could still lay down an AOE and hide ICly via hiding or invisibility.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]