View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
hendrack

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 08 2009, 23:53 PM 

Player

Just something I chukled to myself today: how does one make divine traps? I mean some cleric blesses a bunch of wires and a plate, and when the adventurer steps on it a deity, sitting on his throne, points a finger down at the prime material plane like Monthy Python and announces with a resonating voice:

Thou has stepped on my holy plate, for which I shall smite thou.

:D

Selmak

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 0:11 AM 

Player

I'm guessing liberal use of heavy holy water is involved. Beyond that, haven't a clue.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 0:14 AM 

Player

Well, you do use holy water when crafting holy traps.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 4:11 AM 

Player

I always assumed it to be a holy water version of an acid spray trap.

HellScourge

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 6:23 AM 

Player

)noy neffective versus undead and tieflings then though, or?

Everyone else will just feel mildly annoyed at being sprinked with water.

Hello Everyone [...] I like tentacles [...] :)

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 6:31 AM 

Player

Tieflings aren't weak to holy water. That's Cold Iron for Demons and Alchemically Silvered weapons for Devil, iirc. Maybe it was Cold Iron for both of them.

Guxx

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 6:58 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Tieflings aren't weak to holy water. That's Cold Iron for Demons and Alchemically Silvered weapons for Devil, iirc. Maybe it was Cold Iron for both of them.

I'm pretty sure it's Cold Iron for Demons and Silver for Devils.

Out of curiosity, does Cold Iron affect Fey at all in D&D/FR?

"Hey, who you calling un-chrasimatic?"

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 7:37 AM 

Player

Yes. Fey have natural damage resist, that are negated with cold iron. Also fey feel extreme discomfort if in contact with cold iron and get a -1 morale penalty to all skills, ab, damage, ac (and abilities I think).

or was it -2.. I can't remember as my beautiful pdf books are missing, thanks to a dying hdd.

Corendran

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 7:40 AM 

Player

King water (or whatever) exists, so why not King holy water?

Guxx

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 7:49 AM 

Player

Gravemaskin wrote:
Yes. Fey have natural damage resist, that are negated with cold iron. Also fey feel extreme discomfort if in contact with cold iron and get a -1 morale penalty to all skills, ab, damage, ac (and abilities I think).

or was it -2.. I can't remember as my beautiful pdf books are missing, thanks to a dying hdd.

Ahh okay, I knew that in folklore they were suppose to be hurt by Cold Iron, I wasn't sure if it had been carried over to D&D or not.

AlphaWaves

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:52 AM 

Player

The traps that my Johanna makes are individually blessed with a little sting courtesy of Brandobaris himself. Oh he loves a good trap he does.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:09 AM 

Player

I remember I imagining Beshaba would think Va is quite the adorable little darling, when he was carpeting the Manor Master's Chamber floor with Divine Traps.

Then she had Bidoc be a no-spawn. Bitch.

I have pondered something similar to this. There's a small but non-zero number of weapons that give Divine damage in the game but aren't restricted to divine classes. Which god's running them, and if it's simply the patron of the wielder, what about the Faithless, and what about when the weapon's used against their favourite things in the world?

Guxx

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:11 AM 

Player

Uberuce wrote:
I have pondered something similar to this. There's a small but non-zero number of weapons that give Divine damage in the game but aren't restricted to divine classes. Which god's running them, and if it's simply the patron of the wielder, what about the Faithless, and what about when the weapon's used against their favourite things in the world?

I blame Ao?

Corendran

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 13:05 PM 

Player

Guxx wrote:
I blame Ao?

Not possible. Ao doesn't meddle with the mortals.

Bravo21

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 16:37 PM 

Player

hendrack wrote:
Just something I chukled to myself today: how does one make divine traps? I mean some cleric blesses a bunch of wires and a plate, and when the adventurer steps on it a deity, sitting on his throne, points a finger down at the prime material plane like Monthy Python and announces with a resonating voice:

Thou has stepped on my holy plate, for which I shall smite thou.

:D

Divine damage is really just positive energy, which is the opposite of negative energy. Blessed substances can be used to create conduits with which to channel positive energy. The trap is not actually a target for a diety to aim at, but instead an alchemical means of duplicating a priests ability to channel positive energy.

Although the RP interation for DM's might be interesting by having traps of heavenly smiting... *A voice booms from the heavens* "Disarm my trap will you! I (Insert annoyed diety here) smite thee!" *Greater ruin smitage ensues.*

IronAngel

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 09 2009, 22:29 PM 

Player

Divine damange isn't positive damage, they're two distinct things. I'm not sure if divine damage, per se, exists in D&D outside NWN? I'm not all too familiar with the core rules of the game.

As for Ruce's question, I'd say the damage becames part of the weapon during its creation, gods don't play an active role after that. I never did understand the restriction of divine damage to divine classes only, from a purely IC perspective, but I guess it gives them something to feel special about.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Yurell

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 10 2009, 3:48 AM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
Divine damange isn't positive damage, they're two distinct things. I'm not sure if divine damage, per se, exists in D&D outside NWN? I'm not all too familiar with the core rules of the game.

As far as I am aware, it isn't (at least not in the core rules), but spells that definitely do damage are described as simply doing that damage. Maybe the NWN engine required a damage type to represent this *shrugs*

يمكنني استخدام مترجم جوجل

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 10 2009, 10:15 AM 

Player

Ah, you are probably right. In NWN, Flame Strike deals divine damage, for example. Look at the description from d20 SRD:

Quote:
A flame strike produces a vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]