View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Gradea

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 16:20 PM 

Player

I'm not going to complain the monsters are too hard, because I've leveled a hand full of characters up to about thirty. I don't like how hard soloing is at times, but I'd put that rant in the balance thread.

I'm just curious about the stats on some of these monsters. Lizard men who have fear effects. Sharks with DR. Bears with magical paralysis breath... Artic chickens who can hit an AC in the high fourties. Beholders who can fire enough death effects that an undead would just keel over for the convience.

I'm just burningly curious what the stats on some of these things really are?

Athyonn Ursidae

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 16:35 PM 

Player

Yeah but those dodo's are really good fun as you watch them run around and pecking people to death you have to admit.

*coughs*

Anyway some of the stats are there to be representive of other effects that might be different from the actual description that appears in the log. Well I would imagine so. but it wont be long before the hounds are on this one.

Siggy by Maryn

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 16:50 PM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

I wouldn't even know who made those critters, and I doubt anyone else in here does. That kinda limits the answers you can get.

The dodo model is a c0ckatrice, btw, not a chicken. The chickens in Khem do kill you if you attack them, for they are blessed by the Great Cluck.

Athyonn Ursidae

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 17:06 PM 

Player

Beware the cluckers they are just fowl.

*runs of screaming*

I repent nothing......

Siggy by Maryn

Uberuce

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 17:11 PM 

Player

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean what are the exact levels, AB, weapons and special abilities?

Or do you mean what at the stats on their equivalents in PnP or the default NWN palatte?

In the first case: not telling. In the second: don't know, don't care.

They're balanced to be a challenge for three or four okay Amian characters wearing okay Amian gear and with okay Amian buffs.
That makes them very hard to solo for anything but an excellent build with exactly the right gear and excellent buffs. Most of the spawns are deliberately made very hostile to soloing, which compounds this. An obvious example is low-STR creatures with lots of Sneak Attack dice; in a group where three people fight, only half the spawns will be racking up Sneaks, whereas a soloist will be facing five.

The gear, spells and classes almost all have Amia customisation, so what happens elsewhere in the DnD/NWN world is of mostly academic interest.

Jan

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 17:44 PM 

Player

Evil-Wizard

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 18:49 PM 

Player

Gradea wrote:
I'm just curious about the stats on some of these monsters. Lizard men who have fear effects. Sharks with DR. Bears with magical paralysis breath... Artic chickens who can hit an AC in the high fourties. Beholders who can fire enough death effects that an undead would just keel over for the convience.

Luckily, we have PCs that can fire death rays, withstand poison strong enough to flat-out kill a full grown horse and just won't die, no matter how often they (apparently) get killed.

That's D&D. :-)

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 19:03 PM 

Player

Don't you fucking love it? :twisted:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 19:07 PM 

Player

Gradea wrote:
I'm not going to complain the monsters are too hard, because I've leveled a hand full of characters up to about thirty. I don't like how hard soloing is at times, but I'd put that rant in the balance thread.

Lizardmen with fear effects? I'll assume you mean the Quagmire lizards. 1: Those are very very very old. 2: Most are clerics, and they are casting the spell, and the warriors are using a fear pulse "Battlecry". Doesn't seem too out of the ordinasry for me.

Sharks with DR: Thick scales, and the fact that you are *underwater*. Water resistance prevents you frrom swinging as hard or as fast as you might. A shark has lived all their life like this and faces no penalties. You? Have not.

Bears + Chickens: Arelith old abominations. I don't think they're on the slate for changing anytime soon so you'll need to live with it.

Beholders: Are you seriously complaining about beholders uses *eye rays*? Suck it up, buddy, they're MEANT to be killers. Come better prepped and with some friends next time. (Protip? There's really only 2 death effects. Stop exaggerating. Up your saves, maybe.)

I don't feel I've violated the Ruce Terms of Monster Explanation with this post.

~~~~

tl;dr: Bawwww stop complaining you can't solo, because frankly, no one cares.

De'aarth

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 19:10 PM 

Player

poultry is supposed to be godlike

Ka'lith, Coran'zen , Sha'aveil, Rael, Sielen Lyoreth

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 19:16 PM 

Player

Sigh, Cluckzilla is stupid, and no, the Brog Chickens are not a product of any chicken bias from disco.

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 19:22 PM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

Indeed, I had nuttink to do with those. My chicken obsession does show here and there, though. We got chicken fights in Kampo's, chicken necromancy in a Drow house, chicken experiments in Quagmire, and holy chickens in Djedet. I think that's about all we got.

In a server I used to play in the dev had placed one uber-uber-boss which was a chicken called 'BioWare'. It shouted bugged script commands and was a real meanie.

Yurell

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 22:42 PM 

Player

Gradea wrote:

Nothing there seems that odd.
Except the magic bears and chickens, but with suspension of disbelief you can accept them (well,they're there so you have to accept them).

يمكنني استخدام مترجم جوجل

Drannok

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 15 2009, 22:49 PM 

Player

I remember, a long time ago, on some bad LotR server, there was a chicken hidden in most of the towns called "Little Hen" set to go hostile when idiots went and stabbed neutral townspeople.

Thing had like 110 AB, and monk speed, and an unstoppable knockdown, but it's damage was very low.

So you'd be infinitely floored and pecked to death by a chicken.

Was always fun to see where it had stopped moving and you knew some clown got killed by it. It was extra fun when you got to watch it happen.

Thayzin Goldenmaul - Gold Dwarf Paladin of Moradin (Inactive)

Galenson

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 0:30 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Beholders would be easy if you had spell deflection. I used to love that trick in BG II. They'd either stun, stone or disintigrate themselves while your mage would stand around laughing like a maniac.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

soundofastream

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:23 AM 

Player

Bah! The creatures here aren't strong enough! Try Aertheca where you have to battle dragons for several hours straight just to win, or the timestop, HIPS spamming, sneak attack spiders with wail of the banshee doom!

With critters on Amia, once you've worked them out the first time, they're relatively easy to defeat, even solo. There are a few places where I'd say that's not the case (e.g., The Bastion).

I figure, if a place is so hard that I can't go there, that's the place I want to go and eventually work it out. If I can work it out too soon, it quickly gets dull (Dark Spires being a prime example).

Lally

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:30 AM 

Player

If the nibblers end up with a DC49 death gaze after this, you have only yourselves to blame.

Acrid

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 2:31 AM 

Player

*just beat up Snowbeast at lvl 24 but couldnt screeny that* What are you talking about!! *hide*

Edit: well, what im saying is Amia is an easy module *actualy quoting other players*

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 4:48 AM 

Player

Making a monster roll a bad 1 vs your Dev isn't soloing it.

Acrid

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 5:02 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Making a monster roll a bad 1 vs your Dev isn't soloing it.

Didnt said he rolled 1.
Well, now i think about it, its not important.

Back to topic, i think i would be pretty funny to have that chicken attacking around Cordor like the story of Drannok.

ticket

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 5:06 AM 

Player

Acrid wrote:
*just beat up Snowbeast at lvl 24 but couldnt screeny that* What are you talking about!! *hide*

Edit: well, what im saying is Amia is an easy module *actualy quoting other players*

Not exactly easy, but rather Amia is a well made module. I find it well balanced and a fun to keep throwing different builds at it.

Also clerics can beat epic bosses up earlier, mages much much earlier in their career.

Athyonn Ursidae

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:24 AM 

Player

You know being able to solo bosses is not the be all and end all. Jut grab a few firends together that you -know- you can trust not to fall out over Epic loot drops and go hunting.

Its the way Amia plays best and is far more enjoyable to run that way.

Siggy by Maryn

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:26 AM 

Player

There's a trick to bosshunting, and it isn't soloing.

Selvec Darkon

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:48 AM 

Player

Location: On a Disk, carried by four elephants, which stand on a gigantic turtle.

The creatures builds are silly because the majority of PC's builds are silly.

"Do ye know where the Holy-Flamin' Frost-brand Gronk-slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' woundin' an' returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-out-yer-bum is?"

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 7:13 AM 

Player

Incorrect on both counts. Ruce has quite a logical methodology to his creatures. They're not "silly".

mayormccheese

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 7:25 AM 

Player

at least there's no snakes

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 7:26 AM 

Player

Tromp around Khem, m'boy, more snakes on your dunes than you can shake a stick at.

The Peacock

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 7:34 AM 

Player

Furthermore, PC builds are generally restricted from becoming "silly"... I think Amia is well balanced, and this topic makes no sense, but to ignite redundant arguments over a superfluous topic.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 8:58 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Ruce has quite a logical methodology to his creatures. They're not "silly".
I confess to some silliness in the Frozen Waste freakshow.

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:13 AM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

soundofastream wrote:
Bah! The creatures here aren't strong enough! Try Aertheca where you have to battle dragons for several hours straight just to win, or the timestop, HIPS spamming, sneak attack spiders with wail of the banshee doom!

With critters on Amia, once you've worked them out the first time, they're relatively easy to defeat, even solo. There are a few places where I'd say that's not the case (e.g., The Bastion).

I figure, if a place is so hard that I can't go there, that's the place I want to go and eventually work it out. If I can work it out too soon, it quickly gets dull (Dark Spires being a prime example).

Have you beaten Actand?

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:33 AM 

Player

Or the new abyss dudes.

Jan

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:01 AM 

Player

Yesterday I managed to survive 85% of the Manor of Mourn without dying, in a party of four (pallys + cleric). Usually I couldn't do so even with five others. The vamp kids have become much more sane.

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:11 AM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

Yes, I asked Uce to look at them when we created the B server.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:14 AM 

Player

Bah, in my day we did the manor with just a WM anda Bard, and we liked it!

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:32 AM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

And you didn't even have hair on your chest right then!

Uberuce

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:27 AM 

Player

The kiddies are still the vicious wee bastards of yore, but they're actually Undead now, so you can hit them with Bless Weapon and the rest of the anti-Undead tricks.

What really made the Manor easier was taking Mordy off the Priests.

ticket

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:41 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Or the new abyss dudes.

Speaking of abyss, is it just me or does reaching the ghost merchant got much harder?

The traps seem deadlier, gone are the days when I can just run through them chugging heal potions. Trap location and the mobs spawn point are down right sinister.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:51 AM 

Player

Well, you might try handling the traps a bit different way than kamikaze, then?

xordae

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:59 AM 

Player

I was never a fan of trap-stacking. It just seems like a lame deterrent that could be more interesting if it was, for example, spread out over an entire area. And if there were slight indications in the terrain for where the traps could be. This way it's either.. you're prepared and you get through easily, or you aren't and you die.

Some monsters have strange abilities, like the fear howls. But if you'd rather wait for a player to RP being afraid of a monster on his own, it'll be a long day.

(I guess what I mean by this is not so much that players disregard the environment, but that so-called supernatural abilities don't have to be supernatural. It's just a mechanical implementation)

Last edited by xordae on Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

ticket

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:00 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Well, you might try handling the traps a bit different way than kamikaze, then?

Real men go kamikaze. 8)

Haha, also the new layout of the traps are aesthetically pleasing. But It's extremely frustrating to walk thru, it's like threading a needle... only you're wearing giant gloves and a sun glass.

Not a bad thing mind you, rogues very rarely come in handy in the module.

Last edited by ticket on Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:02 PM 

Player

The Abyss traps actually aren't stacked, and I hit a point where I memorized exact location and could do the entire AByss gauntlet as a non rogue WM without setting off a single trap.

I am both proud and ashamed that I could do that, mind you, but the traps aren't stacked.

Now, the *gauntlet*... there's.. I actually counted at the traps once. IT's ridiculous, and most of them are actually scripted traps firing little touch attck arrows that are only going to hit you on a 20.

xordae

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:04 PM 

Player

Yeah, I know what you mean.. this funny walking pattern. I've got it too, for the most part anyways. Stacking in this context means though having a ridiculous number of traps in a relatively confined space where you have to get through to go somewhere. It's just all kinds of wrong. Not that I couldn't imagine it happening. But there are monsters behind that. How do they ever get out?

wakaman

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:20 PM 

Player

While we're on the topic of creature oddities.. Is Darkness supposed to be Undead?

Because I earlier went to check 'im out, threw a greater ruin, and caused 400 damage.

Just thoguht I'd say!

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:46 PM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

I did the rearrangement of the traps in the Abyss and I didn't add a single new one, I just rearranged what was there. I am not sure how they became harder, I'd say the opposite: you can actually see them now after detection.

Acrid

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 15:14 PM 

Player

Dev Disco wrote:
I did the rearrangement of the traps in the Abyss and I didn't add a single new one, I just rearranged what was there. I am not sure how they became harder, I'd say the opposite: you can actually see them now after detection.

Yeah, i saw that the other day, good job on this one.

Evil-Wizard

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 15:21 PM 

Player

Dev Disco wrote:

Also, they can be disarmed without too high a score in Disable Trap. Should be possible for most who put some points into the skill and have some appropriate equipment with them.

They do a lot of damage, though - running through them is not a good option, except maybe with Evasion and a good reflex save. That's good, though - wouldn't make much sense if they didn't do noticeable damage.

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 15:29 PM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

If you got a decent detect skill and a very steady hand you can circumvent about 2/3 of the traps. You'll have a sweaty back afterwards, but that's part of the fun.

Athyonn Ursidae

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 17:53 PM 

Player

Dev Disco wrote:
If you got a decent detect skill and a very steady hand you can circumvent about 2/3 of the traps. You'll have a sweaty back afterwards, but that's part of the fun.

Yup if you like to give yourself the shakes it is definetly worth the go and so much fun when you have a party of -hero- types who just want to run ahead and then get squished after the first few strides.

It really make my day when I can say 'I told you to wait for me' toll them, then look very smug as I dance over the bridge.

Siggy by Maryn

Sokar Rostau

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 16 2009, 22:56 PM 

Player

If you think the monsters on Amia are too hard go and have a look at BoB where level 40s run away from level 10 spawns.

The only really nasty thing (apart from the sadly departed fire beasty swamp thing) I've come across was when 1.69 was implemented and some mobs had Feats that suddenly worked properly... like the Bedines in old Nesek with their Rapid Reload and Epic BAB (which was quickly fixed). Oh, and some of the Freakshow is pretty nasty too.

"It's a Warhorse, baby."
"Whose Warhorse is this?"
"Zed's"
"Who's Zed?"
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

ILoveIceCream

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 17 2009, 2:28 AM 

Player

chickens have dr because the great Cluckzila wills it to be so with his awsome powers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next