View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ] 
xXxSuShiKunxXx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 02 2009, 23:51 PM 

Player

I once heard someone say there was a language (I think it was Aquatic) That should be understandable by all wizards, I was just curious as to what it was and if it is recognized in amia... :D

Grymia

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 02 2009, 23:52 PM 

Player

Draconic and Elven would be the two most commonly used languages of Mages.

There are others of course.. but those are the two biggies.

blackvswhite

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 02 2009, 23:55 PM 

Player

that doesn't mean "take a level and you automatically know these languages".... you should use common sense with it... It was devestatingly horrid when I was playing with a monk and she used her class as reasoning to understand all languages...

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:04 AM 

Player

There is no such language, but Grymia's correct in that mages often learn (through RP, mind) languages that are useful to them in their trade. Elementalists would learn the languages of the elemental planes, such as Aquatic, whereas many would know how to read Draconic and Elvish, at least the alphabets. Draconic is the bonus language all can wizards get, whereas others would apparently be dependant on region and race.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Grymia

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:06 AM 

Player

Re: Blackandwhite's point.

Actually yes, at level 17 Monk, Monks recieve 'Tongue of the Sun and Moon' , an ability which allows them to understand and speak in all languages. (however last I checked it didn't give the ability to read/write in them)

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:12 AM 

Player

Doesn't actually say about understanding/speaking all languages, it only mentions discussion with anyone. There are other topics about that, but my interpretation would be an intimate interaction, face-to-face, with the monk and someone else, in which both spoke their own language but mystically just understood the other's meaning. It doesn't quite jive with the theme to, say, casually listen in on two people chatting in Dwarven and throw in some cultural Dwarven comments, or to consciously know the grammar and syntax of a strange language. If the monk knew that, he'd also be able to read and write the language, which he isn't, and that leads to my interpretation of it as a mystical understanding in the unique encounter between two conscious beings.

I may be stretching the feat that simply works automatically, but I would like to see a lot of care and concentration put into RPing the ability. It's not a handy toy the monk can just light-heartedly use in Cordor square, but serene understanding they've had to work hard for. Such fluff goes beyond the simply wording of the feat, though, so I can't expect everyone to share my impression. However, the feat doesn't mention anything about knowing a language, so I feel fairly confident in saying that does apply to everyone.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Last edited by IronAngel on Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

xXxSuShiKunxXx

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:14 AM 

Player

Ok, got it now... Just searched the rest of the forms and found that Old Elven (For elven mages) Would probably be fully known after they left their school of magic, and soon I can start looking for a draconic teacher... Thanks again ;P

blackvswhite

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:18 AM 

Player

still annoying as hell... I don't like that rule, and its in PnP, not nwn anyways.

Anyone can pretty much speak whatever language they want, as its just typing <drow> in front of the text in another language. Those kinds of things are just abuse of that freedom. "I'm a monk, I know every language" is abuse of that freedom. It should RPly make sense that you know a language.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:22 AM 

Player

It is not really an abuse of that freedom, whether you like it or not. It's an existing PnP feat, and one of the few you can probably use without other players' consent: because languages are a PnP thing too, and by speaking a "foreign language" they're already giving said consent to themselves and therefore can't deny it from you. No NWN rule says you can't understand everything written on the Talk channel, after all. But yeah, I imagine it can be extremely annoying, and if it wasn't role-played seriously and with a lot of care and effort, I would simply avoid such characters in the future.

Typing [Drow] infront of your lines is an abuse of that freedom, if you do not have the justification for knowing the language (as defined by PnP rules, common sense and a conscious decision not to make your character a Mary-Sue).

blackvswhite

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:25 AM 

Player

unless you're a monk... but yeah there's nothing anyone can about those people... avoidsion is the best method. wait, there is a word for that... evasion.

Grymia

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:49 AM 

Player

Evasion: Something for which you only need a couple of Monk or Rogue levels. *sagenod*

I understand where you come from thoguh

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 0:54 AM 

Player

It's "Aquan".

Daniel_Waynold

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:15 AM 

Player

I thought that monk feat like the wizard or sorzzy had between its familiar. They both speak different languages (tho it IS possible to wizard acualy know ie, Ignan and you have a fire mephit) but they still understand eachother perfectly.

wakaman

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:48 AM 

Player

There are also specific langauges of magic depending on the region where you originate/ where you study.

For instance, Lorross is the Netherese and Netherese descendants' (Halruaan etc) language of magic, I beliee

Guxx

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:51 AM 

Player

I'm pretty sure 'magic' is it's own universal language, how ever it's not a language that you can speak in conversation, it's simply what's on spell scrolls and the vocal components to spells.

At least that's how I remember it being described in the Players Handbook, though that may not be true for Forgotten Realms.

"Hey, who you calling un-chrasimatic?"

Kraniumbrud

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:24 AM 

Player

seeing that all epic spells are derived from Elven high magic i would say its fair to say its hard to learn epic spells without knowing elven *Shrugs*

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:26 AM 

Player

Kraniumbrud wrote:
seeing that all epic spells are derived from Elven high magic i would say its fair to say its hard to learn epic spells without knowing elven *Shrugs*

No.

Signe Johanne

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:34 AM 

Player

Oh dear, I thought that you used different languages for different spells. Like if you are summoning from an elemental plane, you'd use Terran/Aquan/Auran/Ignan depending on what sort of thing you were summoning.

And I imagined that clerics just got the verbal component of their spell "implanted" in their brains, so that whichever language their deity prefers is the one they speak when they cast.

Of course it doesn't make perfect sense for every single spell, but what's the right way to go about this, if any? Iron?

FA_Frey_XC

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:41 AM 

Player

Why ask Iron, just invent the languages yourself, and post in the forums about how RP restrictive it is to have any specific language assigned to any specific spell, and do it all yourself.

:P

Regards,

Signe Johanne

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:44 AM 

Player

I'm just being whiny and dependant. Got to make the guys think we need em. :)

I just don't want to make my idea of this clash with some lore I haven't read. I couldn't find anything about this in the books I've got, you see.

FA_Frey_XC

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:49 AM 

Player

And I was being sarcastic... which bounces directly off the armour you've got on dammit ;)

Regards,

Signe Johanne

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 8:54 AM 

Player

Use the sarcasm sign the next time, please.

Yurell

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 9:56 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Kraniumbrud wrote:

No.

Just like learning a song - once you know the sounds you just repeat them, it doesn't matter that you don't understand.
Or using a computer - you know what the effect would be if you do something, but you don't know all the computer code that's going on in the background.

يمكنني استخدام مترجم جوجل

Slig

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:23 AM 

Player

So... it's a bit like Cher then? You know, how no one really knows the words, they just imitate her and go wooaayywoooyywwaoaaa! woow woow woow... woooaayywoowwaoaaarraaaoo.

Yurell

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:25 AM 

Player

That's how I imagine it .. the words are just materials, it's what you're doing with your mind that matters. Kind of like the song analogy - it doesn't matter how well you understand the words if you can't sing the song.
But if you can sing the song all you need is to imitate the words.

That's just my interpretation, mind.

Slig

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:31 AM 

Player

Here we go, this is what I mean: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103584/

Yurell

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:34 AM 

Player

Oh, don't want to go over my download cap again ^^

Also, as far as languages go, as far as I know from PnP most magical texts are written in Draconic, so it's a good language to learn for research. However, nowhere is it stated in the PHB that ~any~ language is a prerequisite to casting spells.

Don't know if it states it anywhere else, but most of my source-book knowledge is core + deity & Drow stuff.

herkles

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:16 AM 

Player

Elven high magic from what I gathered in from reading the FRCS does not even use standard elven, It is a separate language with a separate alphabet. And Elven high magic is not epic spells they are different.

As for standard spell languages, it all depends on the spell. A conjure of fiends from the lower planes will probaly be speaking in either infernal or abyssal, same thing with celestial if he was dealing with celestial. though I believe that draconic is the main, not the only one though, that is used for as a language for magic.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 12:41 PM 

Player

Signe Johanne wrote:
Oh dear, I thought that you used different languages for different spells. Like if you are summoning from an elemental plane, you'd use Terran/Aquan/Auran/Ignan depending on what sort of thing you were summoning.

And I imagined that clerics just got the verbal component of their spell "implanted" in their brains, so that whichever language their deity prefers is the one they speak when they cast.

Of course it doesn't make perfect sense for every single spell, but what's the right way to go about this, if any? Iron?

Sounds fun. Go for it?

It's not specified. You'd generally use those languages to communicate with the summoned being, though I think I've seen it done in the caster's language in WotSQ (Gromph and his elemental). That's the kind of thing that's open for adding flavour, not something to quote rules about.

Kraniumbrud

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 16:21 PM 

Player

[quote="herkles"]And Elven high magic is not epic spells they are different.
quote]

according to the epic level handbook elven high magic is the epic spells.

and seeing that all spells above level 9 is stopped by mystra..what other magic source is there but the elven magic?

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 16:25 PM 

Player

They're not the same, though they're similar. Elven High Magic is, uh, Elven High Magic. Performed by elves, and pretty much only on Evermeet without hefty penalty. I don't know what the Epic Level Handbook says, but it's not the Realms.

Epic Spells are a way to go around Mystra's restriction. They're pretty weird, but there's lots of discussion about them online, particularly Candlekeep, if you look around a bit.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 20:50 PM 

Player

Epic Spells are "levelless" in technicality but often have DCs and etc figured out as if they werea 10th level spell.

aurelius311

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 20:57 PM 

Player

speaking of "mage languages"

someone tried to tell me the other day that mages could "wind whisper" to each other, and that this can be emulated by using party chat IC. it seemed a bit like meta to me, but knowing nothing about PnP, i figured id ask.

[Kegs] Angry Dwarf
[Akly] Angry Halfling

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 21:03 PM 

Player

No. They're wrong. Crack them across the face.

aurelius311

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 21:11 PM 

Player

ok. are they just wrong in the "you can use party chat IC to emulate it" or also wrong in the "this exists as something in DnD lore".

Ill leave the face cracking to you.

[Kegs] Angry Dwarf
[Akly] Angry Halfling

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 21:16 PM 

Player

Using party chat. Wind Whisper is a single one way message directed at a location, not a person, and anyone in 10 feet of the recipient area can hear it. It's NOT telepathy.

Yurell

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 23:51 PM 

Player

The telepathy one is Rary's Telepathic Bond, which can be made permanent via Permanency, but I'm not sure whether you'd be allowed to use it.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2009, 23:56 PM 

Player

Telepathy, except when approved in the context of DM events, is not allowed at all.

soundofastream

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2009, 3:22 AM 

Player

There's also that spell, "Sending", very useful to deliver a message to anyone, anywhere...

FA_Frey_XC

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2009, 5:40 AM 

Player

Signe Johanne wrote:
Use the sarcasm sign the next time, please.

Naw, it's more fun to see who takes it personal and who doesnt.

Regards,

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:09 AM 

Player

Frey...

FA_Frey_XC

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2009, 6:54 AM 

Player

It was a joke.

I mean, people, come on. People take things way to serious 'round these parts.

Regards,

xXxSuShiKunxXx

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2009, 22:20 PM 

Player

Okay, im sorry im a mega Obsessor, but before this becomes a massive off topic thread, I wanna say thanks for the help and I found my answer... ^_^ (you may now continue with your babbling...)

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2009, 23:43 PM 

Player

M4635 5p34k |337!

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]