View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:06 AM 

Player

Is there a substance in the FR that is clear and hard as metal?

I ask because I'd like to get a scabbard that you can see through, but I want to make sure that it'll fit in canon lore for substance and whatnot before I do.

"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell and I stood there all by myself." -Hank III

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:09 AM 

Player

I can't think of anything offhand. why would you want a see through scabbard?

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:13 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
I can't think of anything offhand. why would you want a see through scabbard?

My katana has electric damage added onto it. While it wouldn't be very prudent to carry around while out hunting, I thought I would be kinda cool to have when strolling about the city. You know, kinda like those glass balls with the electricity inside them that make your hair stand up? That's why it's not really that big a deal if there's not anything, I was just curious.

"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell and I stood there all by myself." -Hank III

Galenson

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:19 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Everyone on Amia's rich.

Just keep buying glass scabbards?

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:28 AM 

Player

Galenson wrote:
Everyone on Amia's rich.

Just keep buying glass scabbards?

I thought about that, but my leg's bare..... that could get really messy.

Selvec Darkon

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:07 AM 

Player

Location: On a Disk, carried by four elephants, which stand on a gigantic turtle.

Scabbards are commonly made from wood and covered by hard leather, not metal. So if the fear is a scabbard being conductive for electricity, it's not a worry.

Alternatively, use diamond?

"Do ye know where the Holy-Flamin' Frost-brand Gronk-slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' woundin' an' returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-out-yer-bum is?"

Athyonn Ursidae

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:13 AM 

Player

Leather when treated and prepared the right way, as well as certain laminated and layered woods can be made almost as hard as metal.

But again I would second the idea of a 'diamond' crystal sheath. Though how you would rp or cost it is another question entirely.

Siggy by Maryn

NeverEverLand

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:17 AM 

Player

Selvec Darkon wrote:

That's.... so bling and costly.

Selvec Darkon

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:21 AM 

Player

Location: On a Disk, carried by four elephants, which stand on a gigantic turtle.

NeverEverLand wrote:
Selvec Darkon wrote:

That's.... so bling and costly.

Good way to waste that epic gold.

"Do ye know where the Holy-Flamin' Frost-brand Gronk-slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' woundin' an' returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-out-yer-bum is?"

Evil-Wizard

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:24 AM 

Player

Glassteel.

It's reported to be found in the Races of Faerun D&D3 supplement.

Also, there was a 2nd Edition 8th level wizard spell of the same name which made steel (or all metals?) transparent. Some other leftovers from 2nd Edition made it into 3rd (like Szass Tham's "undead legions"), a glassteel item or spell shouldn't be too much of a problem. ;-)

Mahtan

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:32 AM 

Player

Glassteel, far as I know, is made by Avariels and is their trade material. Its light and strong as steel. This glassteel is made by a special form of glassblowing that only the Avariel know.

I personaly picture it like the glass weapons from Morrowind.

Evil-Wizard

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:34 AM 

Player

Right... In the 2nd Edition Book of Elves, something similar was described for 2nd Edition Avariels. I completely forgot that. Good old unbalanced times. :-)

Mahtan

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:35 AM 

Player

http://www.forgottenrealmsvault.com/boa ... t&sd=a#p45

Theres stuff on the Avariel and their Glassteel.

herkles

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:41 AM 

Player

I am unsure, I will take a look through my source books and see what is available for scabbard materials, but I am not sure off the top of my head what is used and what is not.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 15:45 PM 

Player

There's also magical theurglass, dismissable on command. I'm not sure if you could make a scabbard with it.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Dwagin

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 16:24 PM 

Player

why not just bore out a giant mythal? then it'd be pink and blue flickering lazerlightsword.

How can one not think... 'bling' if you're trying to show off your zappy sword?...

Or by that end.. get a ring of 10/- electric resist. go commando.

-Extraordinarily ordinary in the mostest of ways.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 16:28 PM 

Player

Selvec Darkon wrote:
Scabbards are commonly made from wood and covered by hard leather, not metal. So if the fear is a scabbard being conductive for electricity, it's not a worry.

*looks around at the eight swords displayed on the walls of the house and their scabbards* Some are wood and covered with leather, but some are metal with leather or just metal.

The fear of conductivity doesn't really bother me, as it is. I just have the electricity kinda flare up when it's drawn out of the scabbard. Almost like there's a small, specifically attuned anti-magic field within the scabbard that extinguishes the electric powers of the katana while it's inside.

Now the spell Glassteel. Is it still in 3rd edition rules or was it taken out? The odds of my drow Ilharess being able to convince an Avariel to make her something seem slim to none. This also begs the question... am I gonna need to drop some DC's on this or can I just do it?

Nairas

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 16:50 PM 

Player

You could use Quartz, it is also a very strong crystal. Especially if it was imbued with magic to keep it from breaking.

Xaviera

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 17:25 PM 

Player

Here's a description of Glassteel. Not at home right now so I cant compare it to my 1e/2e PHBs but it looks about right.

http://www.thievesguild.cc/spells/index.php?Number=528

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

Gunz

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 17:32 PM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
There's also magical theurglass, dismissable on command. I'm not sure if you could make a scabbard with it.

Theurglass and Glassteel are the same thing aren't they?

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 17:45 PM 

Player

I don't know. I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Theurglass didn't exist outside the Last Mythal novels. It's like magical glass, or some energy field, that can be dispelled and re-activated with command words, used as mages' shelf doors or whatever. Also, the throne/council room in Leuthilspar, Evermeet, is reportedly domed with theurglass. It's certainly not an art restricted to Avariel, so it might not be the same as glassteel.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 10 2009, 23:30 PM 

Player

I took a look at the Thieves Guild site and read the description of Glassteel. So would a little ole' fashioned RP and searching out someone capable of casting the spell get me what I want?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]