View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 155  Next
Mushidoz

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 09 2017, 19:42 PM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
Mushi: I love you man, but you are asking for the lore of an island to be toned down so you can farm there. It's just the way it is there. You are supposed to fear going out at night. If you are getting killed there, then the fear of the guards, NPC's an Cory (R.I.P.) are all substantiated. It's thematic flavor, and a decent one at that. I enjoy taking epic characters I have made, with the intent of killing undead there to hunt at night. The loot bin does in fact, suck, but the idea of thinning the undead masses, appeals to me.

I don't want to farm there.. and I'm not asking for the "lore of the island" to be toned down. I'm also not asking for the lore to be given to me (because honestly, I already know the big lines). My questioning is why the newbie quests of Amia B involve players to risk facing encounters that are level 15+. Move those spawns away from the first maps of the isles, and everything is fine.

I said so already, I find the idea of day / night encounters to be drastically different pretty cool. I am perfectly fine with these spawns being stronger at night too. I am also even "almost fine" with the absolutely ridiculous powercreep level of some of the rare encounters there. What I am not okay with, is that in order to do NEWBIE QUESTS, you have to go through completely innapropriate spawns 50% of the time. This is not flavour, this is a design mistake.

If anything, there could very well be three different types of undead spawns (or 2.5) on the island instead of having 1,5. First would happen in the maps that are related to the newbie quests. Second would happen when you go deeper into the forest / Caraigh island. And the third one would be the rarer beyond overpowered spawns that already exist.

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 09 2017, 19:58 PM 

Player

What almost seems better to me would be to remove the quests, to be honest. I mean, (this is a recount, and I have no idea about this, because I never do those quests, for exactly that reason) isn't one of them like 'proving your worth', or something? Like, all the young laddies do this? It would seem like he wouldn't give that quest anymore, since it's pretty likely to get people killed.

And that seems like a: The rewards would increase with nobody smart going there at night, or b: the people would completely stop giving out the quest/sending people there...

Because it really doesn't make too much sense, undead just walk around, why would they hide? It isn't really IC for mindless undead (which some/most of those are) to scale based on distance from civilization. Unless I have the lore wrong, and guards patrol outside of the 'towns' at night.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 09 2017, 20:32 PM 

Player

Things there are the way they are because of the curse. It's why the more powerful undead only come out at night and those that remain during the day are weaker.

The quests specifically outline not to stay outside any settlements there after dark because it's dangerous, and it's the only place on the island where the day/night cycle has actual consequences unless you're daylight sensitive or have a job system job that requires it to be night/day. (Something I'd love to see more of btw)

Why change it?

If you don't want to risk going there because it might turn night.. well.. it doesn't happen in seconds or even minutes.. the day/night cycle has been extended quite a bit and when it gets close to night, you can simply leave. Or just not go there at all if you don't want to risk it.

DolphinRacer

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 10 2017, 0:08 AM 

Player

Asking them to suddenly drastically reduce the strength of the undead or remove them from the quest-affected areas (which are fairly substantial), would be by definition to change the lore. There's no reason those areas should suddenly become weaker or the undead in them should suddenly vanish from those areas without an action being taken to produce said effect.

Also you don't have to go through those spawns. That is kind of the entire point of them being how strong they are, you are expected to wait like the people of the Mill do before they go out to log and hunt. That's not broken, or intended to be unfair, that's the lore of the area. Changing the lore to be more convenient isn't sensible or practical.

As for the quests...the ones that are related to NPCs actually doing something...they go during the day because night is dangerous too. None of these quests is difficult, only two of them can't be done during the day and one of those (the hound one) might need to be rejiggered to make it a daytime one, but as it stands changing the undead and the lore of the entire island without actually...RPing any attempt to change it or putting any effort into it just to make it convenient is nonsensical.

Whether you realize it or not asking them to change the creatures, without any IG RP or lore to explain why they would change that way, is asking them to change the lore so that you can ignore the existing lore (which is DONT GO OUT AT NIGHT) and level more conveniently.

Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 10 2017, 15:59 PM 

Player

Amia needs more areas that are hardcore but not quite in nexus or demonreach territory anyway. Though if the areas haven't been updated in a while maybe looking at them could reviltalize the plots and stuff going on in them some (if there's even interest in the base hanging out there)

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 10 2017, 23:28 PM 

Player

I'm thinking of beefing up my internet security by investing in a VPN service but have hesitated as I did not know if it would hinder my gaming either here on Amia or on the more "twitch" based games like Overwatch.
Of course the VPN providers say it won't but then again they would say that wouldn't they...

Another consideration is does Amia allow VPN connections as I understand it changes the IP address effectively "masking" it and Netflix apparently doesn't allow this but but does Amia?

I'm a bit of a technophobe and still shout at my so called smart phone for doing things I haven't intended it to but somehow told it to lol and could use some intelligible advice from my fellow gamers before putting money into a VPN subscription.

Thanks in advance

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 2:13 AM 

Player

Since your account is tied to your CD keys and not your IP, VPN doesn't interfere with playing on Amia at least in my experience.
I've been using FrootVPN for quite a while (mostly because for some reason my ISP tends to restrict my NAT type and using VPN removes that) and I'm rather happy with them. Connections tend to be stable and it's easy to use (comes with step by step tutorials on how to do it on most operating systems, phones etc. ), works on all devices and comes with 2048 encryption. It's only 5 bucks so it's not too bad.

Anyway, I've been using them for just over a year now and only experienced any problems during the first few months, since they were fairly new and didn't have enough servers for their userbase. (I think they're rather popular since they don't save any logs or store userdata beyond the fact that you have one and are subscribing or not.)

Anyway, I'd reccomend them over any other VPN services that I've tried in the past.. and as always, remember that if you find a free VPN service.. it's not free. 99.9% of the time, they're storing and selling any and all data you send them, be it credit card info or whatever. Some guys did a show and tell on how that works during a blackhat convention, it's on the youbtubs somewhere. Always always ALWAYS google/look up a service and check what people are saying about it, check their user policies or agreements and you should weed out the bad apples safely enough. If they don't have paypal services, it tends to be a red flag for instance.

PS. I've also heard good things about NordVPN, but I've personally no experience with them. Might be worth checking them out as well.

Wanderheart

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:11 AM 

Player

I use Private Internet Access. I know someone will tell me they are terrible, but I am not too technically proficient so I wouldn't know. I did a fair amount of research ahead of time, and PIA has a solid history of security and they are not terribly expensive.

No interference with NWN/Amia so far.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 16:39 PM 

Player

Hi,

I have a few questions for gear. Reading on a few older stuff (requests and auctions) I am a bit confused about what sort of power is allowed on certain items. First off, on helmets: What is the maximum ability allowed? I think there's +5 int helmets. Are there other +5 helmets in epic loot? (I'm hoping for Wis specifically)

Secondly, what is the max ability on gloves? I think I remember hearing about +6 gloves, but I might be misremembering things... I mean, you do lose out on the beauty of +30 disc for it. But does anyone know, maybe also what the maximum on DC requests would be?

Are all abilities generally swappable? I mean, I know there's a +6 str belt. Could I request a +6 Int belt, or a +5 Con helmet?

Cratz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 18:55 PM 

Player

The only +6 weapons (AB, not enhancement) you can get are gloves, atm. As for other gear, you can't get +6 afaik, and if you do, it severely limits what else can go on it.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 19:11 PM 

Player

Rarely there is DC weapons with +6 on them, but only if they are +6 to a specific creature type. Can't recall if it's +6 AB or +6 Enhance, Crow for example has one that is +6 vs Undead only. I am thinking it is +6 AB vs Undead and +5 Enhance, but could be wrong.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 19:38 PM 

Player

Sorry, I meant abilities in particular, and have a list of a few questions:

1. Are there any +5 Wis helmets in the module, or would I have to DC request that?
2. Which item types are allowed to have a +6 ability on them, both in DC requests and epic loot? For example, there's +6 dex gloves, +6 cha cloak, +6 str belt, and I think +6 con boots. Are there any other items with +6 in one ability on them?
3. Are all abilities considered equal for DC requests, or are some weighed more as others? So, since I can DC request epic loot, I can DC request +6 dex bracers. Could I instead DC request +6 con bracers, or +6 wisdom gloves?

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 20:14 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Sorry, I meant abilities in particular, and have a list of a few questions:

1. Are there any +5 Wis helmets in the module, or would I have to DC request that?
2. Which item types are allowed to have a +6 ability on them, both in DC requests and epic loot? For example, there's +6 dex gloves, +6 cha cloak, +6 str belt, and I think +6 con boots. Are there any other items with +6 in one ability on them?
3. Are all abilities considered equal for DC requests, or are some weighed more as others? So, since I can DC request epic loot, I can DC request +6 dex bracers. Could I instead DC request +6 con bracers, or +6 wisdom gloves?

I'll give my answer on those questions, but they're not official staff stuff, just how I understand them

0 - The number of items that give lots of X in a stats are divided strangely among the item slots. You can allocate +5 to int on a ring, but you can't get one that gives +5 dex for example. Alternatively, there is a +6 dex bracer, but you wouldn't be able to request +6 int on a bracer (though.....*). It's just how it seems to work.

* Some item types are more "valuable" than others though. Bracers/gloves, for example, typically have more goodies on them. So, when making a request, there is a chance that you might get away with something bigger / better on (say) gloves than on a ring, belt, or whatever. That's because the gloves (1) have 1 more mythal slot compared to most other type of gear and (2) there are some pretty good glove items in the game already (so requesting something different on them means you're losing on the good stuff already available). Opposed to that, there are fewer outstanding helmets available in the game, so the chances are if you are requesting something big on a helmet that you're probably have a hard time to get it.

1 - There's no +5 wisdom helmets no. There is one that gives +5 intel if I recall (perhaps even +6). Wisdom +6 comes in the form of amulets.

2 - Wisdom +6 amulets, I think. There's also the +5 int rings, and the +4 agility belts (they don't give 6, but they're definately above what you can mythal)

3 - Not all abilities are equal no. ASF reduction, for example, weights heavily on your request. Opposed to that, if you request, say, +5 acid resist.. well, while it counts as 1 mythal slots, there's a very high chance you will have no trouble getting other powers on your item with that acid resist on :D

As for requesting +6 of a stat on a different item type that's not associated with that stat... I really doubt it'll be possible no. I think it was meant that way to prevent all classes / characters / builds to just run around with +12 in X number of stats. Or maybe it just limits some classes in what they can get / how they can get it. A sorcerer or paladin looking for a +12 charisma score might want what the nymph cloak gives.. but will they be willing to pay the price of not wearing the forti cloak?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 21:20 PM 

Player

1. No and it would not be approved either as a DC request.
2. Only the items type of the type in the epic loot bin are allowed with a +6 ability, no other.
3. Aka, no, you cannot request +6 con bracers, only +6 dex bracers as per the epic lootbin. The only item you would get +6 con on are the boots, without any ac, as per the epic loot bin. Etc.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 21:42 PM 

Player

So, are there any items, apart from amulets, I can get +5 wis on, or do I have to go for +4 and a bit of extra?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 21:44 PM 

Player

without AC?

You could go +3 ad +3 of different abilities, like the weight of the world ammy.

But not +6 or +5 of one ability.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 21:51 PM 

Player

Ah, ok. If that works, then my gear plans might be restored!

Thanks for all the answers!

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 23:44 PM 

Player

I made the mistake of setting my account for "mobile", and now I can't check messages, or get back into my account settings. All I can do is view forums or my profile, and I can't edit the profile. Any suggestions?

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:28 AM 

Player

I think if you go here it will fix it: ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies
That's the URL for 'delete all board cookies'.

I could be wrong, though

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Kudark

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:46 AM 

Player

That didn't help, but there's a screen visible for a short time after logging in, and I was able to expand it and hit the user control panel, and reset the forum appearance.

Lord-Jyssev

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 18 2017, 20:37 PM 

Developer

Are the Triumvir lamps permanently broken or am I just unlucky? I haven't been able to get to the Triumvir at all for the past few days.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 18 2017, 20:57 PM 

Player

Have you tried activating the portal wand? No need to portal anywhere, just activate it once when the lamps refuse to talk to you. Then try the lamp again, and the conversation should pop up.
Unless you're having a different problem...

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 19 2017, 1:51 AM 

Player

Same sort of fix, I activate my crafting menu. While in the crafting menu, click on the lamp. The lamp convo should pop up.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:39 AM 

Player

Accessing any other dialogue tree should fix the lamps for you. All of the above should work, if they don't then find an NPC with a dialogue tree (cart drivers for instance) or enter the Rest menu a few times and select an option there (Save character for instance).

Lord-Jyssev

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:08 AM 

Developer

That worked. Thanks for the tips, all!

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:31 PM 

Player

How much of an struggle would it be playing one of the Pilgrimage or similar orders, paladin of Ilmater on Amia? I tried on POTM once. It is in stark contrast to my usual playstyle to but sometimes maybe it be fun to challenge oneself.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 9:14 AM 

Player

Is Babylon on A still a boss which can drop epics after her relocation?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 9:24 AM 

Player

No, she was adjusted and made fit to the rest of the spawns (as at the ECL the spawns were made for it was about impossible to kill her. Unless maybe you had a gigantic group, which is rarely the case)

KnightOfKelemvor

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 09 2017, 18:13 PM 

Player

Could an illusion focus sorcerer change details in her appearance by using her arcane powers?

Ulfhild

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 09 2017, 18:15 PM 

Player

Think you could request that shapechange widget thing and have it ICly be just illusions... Illusion is awesome.

KnightOfKelemvor

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 09 2017, 18:39 PM 

Player

I'm thinking minor things like hair or eye colour or maybe tattoos and skin tone at most not complete makeovers.

Ulfhild

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 09 2017, 19:23 PM 

Player

Two parts of this: First off, if you want anything represented IG, you'd probably have to pay the 5 DCs for each slight change for an Alter Self Widget.

You -should- be able to get away with minor changes with consent from everyone involved, like with any other PnP spell/ability.

If you're just asking for the IC thing, probably, and certainly with Alter Self. Or (probably more fitting) Disguise Self.

KnightOfKelemvor

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 09 2017, 19:35 PM 

Player

Yeah I'm thinking really minor things like eyes shifting from say blue to green and back again while keeping eye contact with someone just to freak them out or something.

Ulfhild

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 10 2017, 23:33 PM 

Player

I think that should be alright, even if you're not a shifter just with Spell Focus Illusion.. All three of them I mean.

Shit, I'd be okay with it atleast.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 11 2017, 3:28 AM 

Player

I don't think it would take much for any level of spell caster to magik small tricks like that. All it would take is a simple cantrip: prestidigitation
In pnp people use it to temporarily change hair colour, or eyes or what have you within the limits of the spell. Just ask pnp spell permission from those involved and see.

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 19 2017, 13:08 PM 

Player

Just out of curiosity: I remember reading a bit about DC/self rebuilds. Based on some older rebuilds, a character you self-rebuild isn't allowed to use DCs to level, right? (At least not like 30 DCs to get from 10 to 30)
However, in the "timed rebuilds", there's a system keeping you to still have a progression. Are you still not allowed/supposed to level with DCs, or is it allowed, as long as you don't go over the limit?

Example, because I'm not sure I'm explaining well:
George007 wants to rebuild his character "George". DMs tell him he can have a partial rebuild, but can only level 5 levels per week, and can DC rebuild to level 10. Is he allowed to DC level to 15 during week one, to 20 on week 2, and so on? Or does he have to level from grinding?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 19 2017, 18:55 PM 

Player

The so called timed rebuilds tell you how fast you are allowed to level in a certain time period.

How you accomplish that (aka if you swallow DC, hunt, do quests, or use the job system) is up to you as long as you do not level faster than allowed.

Another difference here is that if you are on a slow full rebuild, you can burn DC to level too within the given timeframe, however then have to live with the cost of said DC burning, aka 1 per level pre and 2 per level post epic. While a full DC rebuild (acceptable if the changes are not super heavy) is only 1/2 DC per level (no matter what level)

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 19 2017, 19:19 PM 

Player

Ok. Yeah, it seemed logical, but I wanted to be sure. :D

SebSedar

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 21 2017, 18:15 PM 

Player

Hi folks! I'm having a problem with sending messages on this website. Under 'Compose message', if I try to add more than one recipient, the following error message pops up: "You tried to send a private message to too many recipients". I hear that there should be two buttons, Add[to] and Add[BCC], and one should use the Add[BCC] button to add more than one recipient. However, I only have one button there which is labeled 'Add'. I tried this with multiple browsers on multiple devices and the problem persists. Could anyone please enlighten me on what might be going wrong here? Thanks!

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 21 2017, 18:53 PM 

Player

You should see something like this when you click "compose message"
Find the username you want, add it in the box above and click add or bcc to make that person either the recipient of the PM or to get a blind carbon copy of it (Basically, they get it too)

If you're seeing something else can you make a screenshot of it and upload it to imgur or something?

SebSedar

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 21 2017, 20:11 PM 

Player

Here is my corresponding view: https://imgur.com/a/ftMQp

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 22 2017, 4:20 AM 

Player

I have no idea why yours is different or how to change it, but I'd hazard a guess there's a setting somewhere that you can change... Try to see if you can find a setting for it inm user control panel or the rules, folders & settings.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 22 2017, 10:14 AM 

Player

SebSedar wrote:
Hi folks! I'm having a problem with sending messages on this website. Under 'Compose message', if I try to add more than one recipient, the following error message pops up: "You tried to send a private message to too many recipients". I hear that there should be two buttons, Add[to] and Add[BCC], and one should use the Add[BCC] button to add more than one recipient. However, I only have one button there which is labeled 'Add'. I tried this with multiple browsers on multiple devices and the problem persists. Could anyone please enlighten me on what might be going wrong here? Thanks!

Unusual but the only reference I can find to this anywhere is if an administrator has revoked your permission to send to multiple users. It is unlikely anything you can fix from your side as there are a series of administrative yes/no check boxes which can be used to specifically limit users abilities on phpbb boards.

Not saying it was done with intent but glitches do occur at times so it might be worth checking that permissions are set right. Either that or register a second time on the board and see if that account has the same issue. That will allow you to rule out that it's a quirk of the browser your end.

*EDIT*

Or... is it because you're a newly registered member? Possible the permissions for that usergroup limit certain aspects of message sending which is likely governed by post count and once you get over a certain amount of forum posts the usergroup default will be switched out.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 0:53 AM 

Player

Do the special assassin attacks (Braining Blow etc) work when shifted? I'm thinking specifically about shapes with creature weapons.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:41 AM 

Player

I am planning to request an OP DC halberd and was wondering what is the highest stat halberd currently on the server. Is it the warforged one? Was a new one released in the new epic bin?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:02 AM 

Player

Warforged is highest.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:16 AM 

Player

Thank you for the quick reply!

*goes to plan a superduperultraworlddestroyerhalberd*

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 15:36 PM 

Player

thetangerinetornado wrote:
Do the special assassin attacks (Braining Blow etc) work when shifted? I'm thinking specifically about shapes with creature weapons.

I don't know. Does the weapon merge properly with those? If it does, then Assassin stuff should work as well. The extra things work by giving you a widget at level 2, with every other level (4, 6, 8, etc) giving you an additional ability, in the order they are listed on the forums. When using that widget, it gives you all the choices you unlocked in a convo, and the one you choose is put on the weapon as a temporary weapon property. So if the weapon merges onto the creature weapon, it should merge alongside it. If Flame Weapon in the weapon in advance works, the tools should work as well.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 16:37 PM 

Player

Weapon doesn’t merge with creature weapons. I think you have to hold a weapon for anything to merge but weapon properties like on hits and elemental damage do not apply to the creature weapon. They only seem to work on forms that hold actual weapons.

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09 2018, 16:40 PM 

Player

Do you know if it works for gloves? I kind of doubt it, but that would be the only other possibility. Otherwise, it might not work, actually. Which is kind of sad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 155  Next