View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Manarethan
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 04 2012, 16:48 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 23 Feb 2008

That said, I don't want to derail this request, so lets not discuss that point.

As for myself in relation to dwarves, I've never been able to play them because as people before me have said, they seem to all be the same to me. Not in the sense that I find all the dwarves played on Amia the same, because I know that you guys have some really varied and interesting dwarves running around. What I mean is that every time I consider a dwarf character, I find myself instantly turning to a great deal of cliches in order to create their personality and background. I just can't seem to come up with a dwarf that isn't stereotypical and boring, and so they never get past the theoretical stage. I'm sure if some inspiration managed to strike I'd enjoy playing one, but as it stands I just can't conceive an interesting dwarf I'd want to play. Plus, I can't make more characters at the moment or various people (Bobo) will hit me.

Regardless, the dwarves in Barak Runedar seem to have been doing some pretty interesting stuff lately, so I'm interested in how they progress.


 
      
QPR
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 04 2012, 21:57 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Norway

Dwarves are difficult to play because they have stronger stereotypes than other races, and have stats and racial bonuses that favour the aformentioned stereotypes. That is no reason to follow them however. When I made Dáin Saltbeard is was out of a wish to break out of the tolkienesque norm for a dwarf without making it silly. He is a craftsman, but in shipbuilding and fishing rather than metalwork. Honour matters just as much to him as any other dwarf, but he applies it to ship and shipmates first rather than a particular Hold or Clan. He does not use axes except for throwing, but is quite deadly with the saber instead. And he follows the dwarven creed of community first, at the cost of ones own life is necessary, which gained him the respect of those who might have been sceptical to his antics at first. Point being, it is quite possible to play outside the craftsman/heavy armour/axe wielding warrior without compromising on what I see as basic dwarven values.

I did not stop playing Dáin because Reddok or others made jokes at his expense, Dáin was quite able to retort in equal measure, but because i did not have time to play NwN anymore. That might change now, and if I do come back, Dáin is the first char I will play because he is the one I enjoy the most.

I do encourage others to try out different kinds of dwarves. You will have to earn trust and respect from the Brogendstein dwarves when you do make a point of being different, but they will reognise honour, commitment and proper dwarven values even if it wears a silly hat.

_________________
"Edwin do this, Edwin do that. Somebody get this jerk a banana!" - Edwin, BG II

Valygar 'Stonesnake' Stark -Human Ranger
Garret Smith - Archer and peddler of deity-statuettes
Dáin Saltbeard - Dwarven sailor and fencer. No, I'm not joking.


 
      
Slade
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 9:52 AM 



Player

Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Location: The Heart of It All!

Despite what you may feel or like, 9 of out 10 race/class choices are complimentary and you're really not likely to find half-orc wizard pcs or tiefling bards, that's simple human nature. Dwarves are a crap race mechanically, much like half-elves. Most races are RP'd as "humans in funny suits" in my experience with others.

People don't pick things because they're boring, useless, or inferior unless they're sadists or newbies. That's the basis of ongoing game balance. Otherwise you'd have seen enough harper scouts that they wouldn't have needed a snuffing and radical overhaul.


 
      
Bini
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 10:08 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Mar 2011

That was about as deluded as your explanation of Bebiliths. :|

_________________
feel the blood gushing from your anus
ONE
feel the blood gushing from your anus


 
      
Manarethan
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 10:30 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 23 Feb 2008

Quite honestly, you're wrong. I see a great deal of "sub-optimal" race/class combinations, and they do perfectly fine. Not only that, sub-optimal combinations provide some very interesting RP opportunities. I've seen half-orc wizards and tiefling bards, and they were both excellently RPed, and were very interesting characters. Surprisingly enough, for quite a lot of people on this server the aim isn't to make the most overpowered steamrolling character. Its to make one that is interesting, fun to play and provides intriguing RP that they enjoy.

Also, there were quite a large number of Harper Scouts before the class was changed. It was fixed because the class was underpowered, not because nobody took it. So its not a case of "what I may feel or like". Its a case of what I've seen and observed. Choosing not to play a race you find interesting because its mechanically weak is still dissapointing, despite what you say. Call me a sadist or newb if you like.

(Also, half-elves actually seem to be more popular than humans, so I guess they must not be so bad, eh?)


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 12:09 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Manarethan wrote:
Choosing not to play a race you find interesting because its mechanically weak is still dissapointing, despite what you say.

This...

On a side note, I have a dwarf PC prepared. It is only a matter of short time before I put him to test.

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Bobo_Underhill
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:23 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Location: The Drone Star State

Actually, half-elves are pretty useless from a mechanical standpoint. Elves and Humans both outshine them in everything.

Perhaps I'll dust off the old dwarf I used to play way back before I started on Amia.

_________________
Andrew Fryar: Cordor's Folk Hero
Bobrin: Eccentric Avenging Executioner
Lyle Torrowfire: Retired badass
Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess


 
      
Bini
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:30 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Mar 2011

Well, that's what Manarethan is trying to say. Based on the longevity and popularity of half-elf characters, what Slade is saying is just not true.

_________________
feel the blood gushing from your anus
ONE
feel the blood gushing from your anus


 
      
serbiris
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:34 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

I don't think anyone was arguing that they weren't mechanically useless, but there are a surprising number of half-elves around despite that. They're excellent from a roleplaying perspective - long lifespans, two cultures to draw from, no limitation on classes (except for builds with 3 base classes). Plenty to work with.

_________________
@Thanatopsis#6293


 
      
Bini
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:38 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Mar 2011

Thy r pretteh 2. i tink dat conts fer sumtin

_________________
feel the blood gushing from your anus
ONE
feel the blood gushing from your anus


 
      
Bobo_Underhill
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:39 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Location: The Drone Star State

I was being snarky, you philistines!

_________________
Andrew Fryar: Cordor's Folk Hero
Bobrin: Eccentric Avenging Executioner
Lyle Torrowfire: Retired badass
Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess


 
      
Bini
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 18:42 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Mar 2011

You just regret not giving Andrew some pointy ears.

_________________
feel the blood gushing from your anus
ONE
feel the blood gushing from your anus


 
      
Uncle-Opustus
 
PostPosted: Thu, Nov 08 2012, 19:23 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Location: Finland

Didn't have time to read the whole of the thread, but I'll answer on a hunch. The dwarven culture is very oppressive by nature, and playing a more deviant character is certain to face a lot of pressure from more conservative viewpoints, but the core point of my original post in this thread was that dwarves aren't quite the stereotype often represented by the wanton hooligans who leave their homes to change their lifestyle into pub-crawl. In fact they are a variegated people with an immensely rich history and culture that currently is not exploited to the fullest.

Nothing binds you to affiliate with the rest of the flock as a dwarf with a huge appetite for food, ale, and killing, respectively, and very little attention for further depth and detail of character. I agree that most of the dwarves are the same, the same in a way that doesn't even begin to mimic the archetypical dwarf (although such doesn't probably even exist), but we as players are part of the process which determines the climate we play in. The statement that "dwarves are all the same" is true to some extent, but ultimately it is up to you to effect the homogeneity of the dwarven community. Besides, roleplay is interaction, and what's more fun a way to interact than instigation?

_________________
Image
UCE THIS, YOU COW.


 
      
msheeler
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12 2012, 5:56 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Location: eastern USA

Here is another teaser to encourage you to call Brogendenstein home:

Image


 
      
fairdady
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 3:40 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Apr 2011

A good old fashioned necro-bump here, sorry all. I would like to implore upon, someone, with the loss of Runa due to faction rules can I get SOMEONE to play a dwarven cleric!!??? The citadel is woefully short of what is a much needed commodity... With the events of tonight unfolding we had no cleric to run to for aid. I cried... *weeps*

And like MsHeeler said.. the place looks faaaabulous!

*This has been a Dwarven Public Service Announcment*

_________________
fairdady..
Image
Loyal Dwarf of Barak Runedar
Sig by Jaydn- Dragon by Jes


 
      
Tyris
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:36 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Location: Amana, IA USA

Plus there is always Card Night in the Barak

Image

Xaveus Headcruncherrr III

Much fun today, thanks for including me


 
      
MyOwnDestiny
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:40 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Location: Louisiana, USA (GMT -6, CST)

I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a go. I played a bard once that was raised by dwarves... A shameless play on Cattie-Brie yes I know. But anyhow.. I can do the accent and have played clerics before so.. If I can manage to actually get IG, I may roll one up and see how it goes :)

MOD

_________________
Isys ~ Daughter of Earth and Life
Ronnie ~ Without darkness, one cannot full appreciate the light
[MIA]Walker ~ Priestess of the Helping Hand


 
      
Xenos
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 10:18 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 03 Jan 2007

Looks like bingo night..

_________________
Image

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 10:58 AM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

Watch The Hobbit and you will lean dwarves are not boring and not all the same!

<3 Love that movie.

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Theander
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 13:05 PM 



Player

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: Australia

I'm playing a dueregar monk.

That counts right?

_________________
Unuldor d'Vilrath - Herald of Discipline
Nadrin Vlos - sadistic torturer, physician and
Brognar Steerinsport - crazy dueregar monk
Saul Rephaim - Sane


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 18:46 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

1d4 Chan's article on dwarves.


1d4chan wrote:
A Dwarf (or more properly, Dorf) is a short guy who is made of muscle and beard and alcohol and awesome. No member of dwarf society can function without alcohol. Even their infants are made to chug a whole keg of ale down before Mommy ever lets the baby near her nipples (although, given the liquor intake of the average dwarven mother, she probably lactates eggnog). They like to live in dwarven fortresses. Dwarf characters should have one or a combination of the words "beer", "beard", "bronze", "stone", "Urist", "iron", "hammer", or "axe" in their names. A good example would be Hammer McShieldbearded.


If this isn't enough reason to play one, then you just hate manly things. I play a dwarf or two and they're they're the most awesome thing ever.

Thing would be different if Tordek were my dad.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
DolphinRacer
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 19:32 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 May 2009
Location: GMT-8 Bangor, Washington

Most of my favorite characters I've played or encountered on the various servers I've been a part of are dwarves.

_________________
Sir Taelar Ardelyn of Wiltun
Winner of the Razor Tongued Award 2015!


Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!


 
      
Tyris
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 20:42 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Location: Amana, IA USA

Xenos wrote:
Looks like bingo night..


Bingo is on Wednesdays, cards is on Saturdays :roll:


 
      
exquisitelyme
 
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 21 2013, 21:17 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2009

And now with regular AND fungi brews. Not even the posh Goldies can complain about not having Rift drinks in Barak Runedar.

_________________
I play:
Talas Volodymir, human bard
Frums Deedone, halfling druid


 
      
fairdady
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 3:36 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Apr 2011

HAha.. you guys rock. That's all I can say. You make the struggle worth it!

_________________
fairdady..
Image
Loyal Dwarf of Barak Runedar
Sig by Jaydn- Dragon by Jes


 
      
Tyris
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 6:59 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Location: Amana, IA USA

exquisitelyme wrote:
And now with regular AND fungi brews. Not even the posh Goldies can complain about not having Rift drinks in Barak Runedar.


Gonna have to dye my hair blonde :lol:


 
      
Polris
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:33 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Feb 2010

Dwarfs aren't boring or stereotypical at all. They're also not drunk constantly. Sure, they drink a lot but they have the stomach to handle quite a lot and where your typical human would be piss drunk after 5-6 ales the dwarf can chug down a lot more and still be only mildly intoxicated. They don't fart all the time and they can speak without using lad/lass/ye/etc. It's not true that they're immune to corruption or foul play. In fact it might even be easier to corrupt a dwarf than any of the other good races due to their love of shiny things and precious metals. On the battlefield they are pure awesome, hero material. They will not flee with the rest of the party but will rather stay and ensure their friends escape, sacrificing themselves if need be. I can't even begin to explain the satisfaction you get when your entire party dies and your dwarf is the only one left standing, fighting off the boss creature and its minions and emerging victorious. (That's with the 'boring' Dwarven Defender)

On the subject of the Defender.. It's also a lot of fun watching your party members chug down 4-5 potions and casting a bunch of spells before they go into any battle while the Defender just puts his helmet on and takes out his weapon and he's ready to go. And if you have to use a single heal kit you feel like you spent too much money on this hunt. Also, the Defender is tasked to protect his fellow dwarves and his homeland so you get perfect RP justification if you just feel like grinding and boss hunting for a while.

I didn't really like the DA:O dwarves honestly. They felt more like a drow society to me than what I picture when I think of dwarves. But that's just me. I also don't like the Norse mythology/references in my dwarves. Forgrimm from Drakensang: The River of Time is a perfect example of what I imagine a dwarf is like.

That being said.. I don't play that often anymore cause the things I want to do with my dwarf require other dwarves and at times when I can play there doesn't seem to be any online. Sundays are pretty much booked for me as well so I can't really attend the meetings.

P.S: I think it would be a good idea to give the dwarves some crafting perks as they're supposed to be really good with that. Maybe give them a racial bonus to Craft Weapon/Armor or give them a discount on mythal crafting. Just a thought.


 
      
QPR
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:41 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Norway

You can not get away from the Norse reference for the simple reasons that dwarves have their origin in Norse and closely related pagan Germanic folklore. Fantasy dwarves are shamelessly copied from Tolkien who in turn shamelessly copied from Norse mythology. Even the names are only slightly altered from their original. Fili, Kili, Dvalinn, Bömbúrr, Bifurr, Fundin, Thrain, Thorin, Dóri, Nóri, Ori and many others are all named dwarves in Völuspá.

And I think that is a good thing. That makes dwarves very "real" creatures, with a rich and long history for those who bother to look it up. Perhaps it is only because I am a Scandinavian, but the idea of dwarves fall naturally to me, and they do not appear strange and alien to my imagination precisely because their abundance in local folklore and mythology.

Of all the standard fantasy race, I think dwarves are the most interesting and easiest to relate to. They are very much like us in that they exhibit some of our most loathed vices of holding long grudges, greed, hatred yet also presenting heroic virtues of defiance, unflinching loyalty and self-sacrifice.

_________________
"Edwin do this, Edwin do that. Somebody get this jerk a banana!" - Edwin, BG II

Valygar 'Stonesnake' Stark -Human Ranger
Garret Smith - Archer and peddler of deity-statuettes
Dáin Saltbeard - Dwarven sailor and fencer. No, I'm not joking.


 
      
Eklund
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:05 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Location: Sweden

We should build a dwarf fortress.

_________________
"Let the world hear these words once more: Save us O'Lord from the wrath of the Norsemen!"

Responsible for FatPeopleAreHardToKidnap & ForTheVatican


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:09 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

Barak just needs to mine more and unleash the Baalrog :P :|

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:19 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Didn't have time to read the whole of the thread, but I'll answer on a hunch. The dwarven culture is very oppressive by nature, and playing a more deviant character is certain to face a lot of pressure from more conservative viewpoints, but the core point of my original post in this thread was that dwarves aren't quite the stereotype often represented by the wanton hooligans who leave their homes to change their lifestyle into pub-crawl. In fact they are a variegated people with an immensely rich history and culture that currently is not exploited to the fullest.


Honestly, that's what I enjoy so much about Dwarven Barbarians. They're the antithesis of their own culture since they can only be neutral or chaotic. Outcast from your own society while pretty much being identified as "dorf", and maybe even trying desperately to cling to that identity yourself.... even when your own people won't accept you among them.


My wizard Durung is chaotic good and it sort of shows. He never goes to Barak for a reason.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
Polris
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:44 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Feb 2010

QPR wrote:
You can not get away from the Norse reference for the simple reasons that dwarves have their origin in Norse and closely related pagan Germanic folklore. Fantasy dwarves are shamelessly copied from Tolkien who in turn shamelessly copied from Norse mythology. Even the names are only slightly altered from their original. Fili, Kili, Dvalinn, Bömbúrr, Bifurr, Fundin, Thrain, Thorin, Dóri, Nóri, Ori and many others are all named dwarves in Völuspá.

And I think that is a good thing. That makes dwarves very "real" creatures, with a rich and long history for those who bother to look it up. Perhaps it is only because I am a Scandinavian, but the idea of dwarves fall naturally to me, and they do not appear strange and alien to my imagination precisely because their abundance in local folklore and mythology.

Of all the standard fantasy race, I think dwarves are the most interesting and easiest to relate to. They are very much like us in that they exhibit some of our most loathed vices of holding long grudges, greed, hatred yet also presenting heroic virtues of defiance, unflinching loyalty and self-sacrifice.


Yea but the references end with the names. Vikings build ships, sail, plunder and are generally chaotic. Dwarves don't build ships cause they hate water and for the most part are based on a lawful society. Vikings primarily work with wood and live in open villages near the water while Dwarves work with metals and stone and live in carved out mountains. They are obviously very different so why should you attach or incorporate anything Norse to a Dwarf?

The thing that gets me the most is using names such as Huscarl. No offense to the person who came up with that but there's a lore based dwarven word for what a Huscarl represents and it's Barakor. That sounds more dwarfish to me than Huscarl which just reminds me of Housecarls from Skyrim and the foot soldiers from Mount and Blade. (Also, Justicars...? I'm guessing that appeared at about the same time Skyrim came out..).

The Huscarl isn't really a big deal but with all the liberties Barak Runedar has taken lately concerning dwarven lore I think it would be nice to keep as many things as possible dwarven.


 
      
QPR
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:56 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Norway

To clarify: That dwarves have their origin in Norse mythology does not mean that they are Vikings. They are a part of the mythology and folklore -of- the "vikings", but are not vikings themselves. To quote wikipedia, dwarves "are entities in Norse mythology associated with rocks, the earth, deathliness, luck, technology, craft, metal work, wisdom, and greed. They are sometimes identified with Svartálfar ('black elves'), and Dökkálfar ('dark elves'),[1] due to their apparently interchangeable use in early texts such as the Eddas."

Houscarl comes from norse Huskarl which means House-man, ie someone of the household guard. If they want to make them sound dwarven, then perhaps Hirdmen? (Though that do conjure some rather uncomfortable associations to nazi organisations)

Edit: Also, the popular image of "vikings" is so inaccurate that it might as well be fantasy.

_________________
"Edwin do this, Edwin do that. Somebody get this jerk a banana!" - Edwin, BG II

Valygar 'Stonesnake' Stark -Human Ranger
Garret Smith - Archer and peddler of deity-statuettes
Dáin Saltbeard - Dwarven sailor and fencer. No, I'm not joking.


Last edited by QPR on Mon, Apr 22 2013, 14:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 
      
666WaysToHell
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 13:26 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Location: Western Australia

Amia has had a Justicar LONG before Skyrim was even on the drawing board, mind you. Heck, it was the dwarves who built his very keep!

_________________
Aoth Nathandem - Wizard of house Tholaunt and chosen of Ma'at.


 
      
Genar_Detkasa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 15:21 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia [GMT +10]

Dwarves are great, if I wasn't busy wasting time on other characters I would totally make one. Except all dwarves I make end up being chaotic, for some reason.

_________________
NWN Account Name: KnightProtector


 
      
Larsaan
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 16:05 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Jun 2010

QPR wrote:
Also, the popular image of "vikings" is so inaccurate that it might as well be fantasy.

This, this, this. As a norwegian, it's quite funny seeing how people portray vikings. Not that it's a bad fantasy culture, mind you, but it's far from historically correct, and trying to pin that image to dwarves to boot is a bit like complaining that none of the fey in the setting are wearing green tophats.

_________________
Currently playing:
Aven BrinyflaskImage
Safaya Dalai
Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)


 
      
QPR
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 16:32 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Location: Norway

My point is that there is much from Norse mythology that can fruitfully be applied to dwarves on Amia for a richer experience without making them short vikings.

_________________
"Edwin do this, Edwin do that. Somebody get this jerk a banana!" - Edwin, BG II

Valygar 'Stonesnake' Stark -Human Ranger
Garret Smith - Archer and peddler of deity-statuettes
Dáin Saltbeard - Dwarven sailor and fencer. No, I'm not joking.


 
      
Uncle-Opustus
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 17:15 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Location: Finland

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Didn't have time to read the whole of the thread, but I'll answer on a hunch. The dwarven culture is very oppressive by nature, and playing a more deviant character is certain to face a lot of pressure from more conservative viewpoints, but the core point of my original post in this thread was that dwarves aren't quite the stereotype often represented by the wanton hooligans who leave their homes to change their lifestyle into pub-crawl. In fact they are a variegated people with an immensely rich history and culture that currently is not exploited to the fullest.


Honestly, that's what I enjoy so much about Dwarven Barbarians. They're the antithesis of their own culture since they can only be neutral or chaotic. Outcast from your own society while pretty much being identified as "dorf", and maybe even trying desperately to cling to that identity yourself.... even when your own people won't accept you among them.


My wizard Durung is chaotic good and it sort of shows. He never goes to Barak for a reason.

Well naturally that is the other side of the coin, but since we are talking of enticing folks into Barak Runedar itself, we have tended to bolster rather a traditional stance on things. Haven't been part of the community for a while now, so I figure things are changing, but formerly at least the Council did not espouse, in fact even eschewed to some extent, the Marthammoran (?) dogma, which encompasses the notion of Dwarven wanderlust and the overt cooperation with other races to prevent the dwarves' dying out. The representatives of such future visions were of course included as part of everyday functions. But the little I've read of dwarves and their communities alludes to a timely paradigm shift that would encourage a uniform disclosure of the secrets under the mountain. Don't know if such has happened in the 4th Edition already. And yes, I realise Amia can completely ignore common trends if it helps.

_________________
Image
UCE THIS, YOU COW.


 
      
DolphinRacer
 
PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22 2013, 22:12 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 May 2009
Location: GMT-8 Bangor, Washington

My current dwarf is fun to play because he's not so much like the belchy, drunken, loudmouthed ill mannered person he is because he's a dwarf (though that does have a part in it) but mostly because as someone who spends an excessive amount of time in tunnels and fighting and in general away from any people that aren't soldiers, he is somewhat socially maladjusted.

_________________
Sir Taelar Ardelyn of Wiltun
Winner of the Razor Tongued Award 2015!


Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!


 
      
Mobile_Svensk
 
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:50 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Location: Awarded most Confused Git of 2014!

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:


Loved this!

_________________
Amia Minecraft Server Ip: vps1602.directvps.nl
NWN Damage Calculator: http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/dnd/
NWN Build Calculator: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=856


 
      
fairdady
 
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 23 2013, 15:39 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Apr 2011

Nivo wrote:
...passed during an informal diplomatic visit and celebration at the dwarven citadel Barak Runedar


And we throw KILLER parties. Literally! :twisted:

_________________
fairdady..
Image
Loyal Dwarf of Barak Runedar
Sig by Jaydn- Dragon by Jes


 
      
Nivo
 
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 23 2013, 16:02 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Location: East of Elsewhere, West of Sometime

Simply to die for.

_________________
Playing:
Marcus Valis


 
      
Jes
 
PostPosted: Tue, May 07 2013, 4:48 AM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Location: Camriiole

You simply can't beat this. :D Come play with us!

Image

_________________
Login: The Copper Queen
Illunamaeryx - Platinum Commander

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] Dragonlady | [DM] The Voice

-------------------


 
      
DolphinRacer
 
PostPosted: Tue, May 07 2013, 18:45 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 May 2009
Location: GMT-8 Bangor, Washington

Dwarves: The race where being socially unacceptable is socially acceptable!

_________________
Sir Taelar Ardelyn of Wiltun
Winner of the Razor Tongued Award 2015!


Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!


 
      
Eurgiga
 
PostPosted: Wed, May 08 2013, 0:16 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 12 Jun 2012

Jes wrote:
You simply can't beat this. :D Come play with us!

Image


You must've had the worst feeling of deja vu in that seat, Jes.

_________________
~Diana de Priondragas - Enigmatic druid, Arbiter, Counselor, Bear.
~Corinn Aldaine - Just a girl with a big heart... who can turn you into a newt.
~Vigdis Haldorsdottr - Walk softly and carry a big axe.


 
      
Bilewyrm
 
PostPosted: Sun, May 12 2013, 16:56 PM 



Player

Joined: 25 Apr 2013

The stereotypical dwarf in Forgotten Realms is the Mountain dwarf, which has a -2 to Chr. This is characterized by their gruff and maybe slightly vulgar nature. They also distrust magic and magic users, making them suspicious in nature. So the grumpy (no pun) non magicky off-putting stereotypes are indeed a close match to your average mountain dwarf.
But who wants to be average when you can be the exception that proves the rule! There are well spoken, neat freak, elven wine sipping, dwarven wizards. Or maybe try playing a gold dwarf (no negative to chr and do not fear magic ) or go the other way, a Duergar (the dwarven stereotype on Bath Salts). Or a Gully dwarf -I know, wrong world.

The topic here is basically how to increase the dwarven population. And the racial stigma argument is only one reason the population is low. I can think of two more: Amia's Geography in relation to the dwarf community and dwarfs shine better in groups.
1) Barak Runedar needs to invade Bendir Dale!!!
Why are the Hin so high in population? Well Im not saying they are infesting the place, breeding like a bunch of kobold's, but there is a decent Hin population in Amia. One reason is that their domain is the centre of Amia island. Its a hafling world..the Frodo's are the boss's and if you don't like it, too bad. Your lucky some Bilbo doesn't come along and stick a chair up your bumm!
Barak Runadar on the other hand. is not even on the same server as the people who are rolling and re-rolling their lowbies. There is zero advertisment and no dwarf influence on those determining which character's they will decide to focus on. It is really difficult for a lowbie dwarf to head on off to the main home of the dwarfs on the next server over. Serious RP conflict of interest.
I recommend a direct portal from Barak Runedar to Bendir Dale, some kind of partnership between the Hin and the Dwarfs. I say this portal should go to the tavern in Bendir Dale so the lads can go have a pint in the Dale after a hard day mining. Have dwarven guards keeping the non invited away from said portal.
2) Dwarves shine when in the company of other dwarves- Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Bilbo, some wizard and thirteen dwarves. Bruenor Battlehammer and the whole fricken Battlehammer clan. They always work best when they are in groups. They play off each other and seem less absurd and more bad ass, when in groups. Maybe instead of thinking of rolling a dwarf yourself, do so with some fellow players.

Off Topic: I always thought the 5 rings Sauroman gave the dwarf kings caused them to become greedy, doing things like digging too deep or hoarding too much....probably common knowledge...


Last edited by Bilewyrm on Sun, May 12 2013, 17:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 
      
Hrothmus
 
PostPosted: Sun, May 12 2013, 17:00 PM 

User avatar

Developer

Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Location: Virginia

Ill just throw some of my thoughts in haha.

I have found I am slow to play a different class or race until I am quite familiar with HOW to play them... elves and dwarfs for instance have allot of lore and general knowledge I personally would want myself to know and understand before I attempted to play one.


Also, I do enjoy a good thick drwarven accent.


In my mind how well you play a dwarf is directly relational to how hard it is for me to understand you : )

_________________
Characters:

Fel'Brin - I am one with the shadows


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, May 13 2013, 0:01 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

I'll toss in a bit of hopefully constructive feedback, from an outsider's perspective... I've been invited several times to get more involved with dwarven RP in Barak Runedar (once as Robin, and a few times as Kaithan) and have had to find a way to politely decline each time, since the scheduling of the dwarven council meetings seems specifically designed to exclude most Americans. I'm certainly not going to often be awake and coherent to an RP-worthy level at 7 or 8am on a Sunday morning.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2019
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
Jes
 
PostPosted: Mon, May 13 2013, 0:09 AM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Location: Camriiole

A lot of the dwarves are European. A lot of them are American. We've found a happy medium. It's your own fault for living that far west. ;)

Seriously, though. That screenshot up there with eight or nine dwarves was taken at about 7pm EST on a Monday. There's no reason people should think Sunday mornings at WTF o'clock are the only times to go dwarfing. :D

(And that goes for dwarf players, too.)

_________________
Login: The Copper Queen
Illunamaeryx - Platinum Commander

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] Dragonlady | [DM] The Voice

-------------------


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, May 13 2013, 0:11 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

Yeah, I was more speaking there as a non-dwarf player, who'd have liked to participate a bit in some awesome dwarfiness but really couldn't.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2019
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group