View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ] 

Slow Down or Keep up?
Slow Down 38%  38%  [ 15 ]
Keep Up 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Who cares, they all die in the end anyway 38%  38%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 40
sword dream

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 1:47 AM 

Player

running around in a settlement, town or keep, can and does cut your time significantly. there's nothing wrong here i dont think, besides the awful visual of someone running around like a headless chicken.

running around a dungeon makes your buffs last longer, but it also nullifies any rp that can be generated while in an adventure. a slower pace, walking about in a dungeon, is not only safer but it allows enough space in between where rp can be generated. For a player like myself, who enjoys both dungeon runs and the roleplay it can generate, it can be a frustrating thing. i dont mind grinding, but it doesnt have to exclude roleplay. it should always come in second to rp. so what if you have to rest more often or use up more of your consumables, thats just the price you pay for both xp and rp.

what do you think? slow down or keep up?

InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 2:06 AM 

Player

Re: Running about
It is a sad fact that with a server as old as Amia that there will be player on their 10000th character who have literally seen and done it all and will level to 30 its a few days because they know the most efficient way of doing things etc and these players do not in my experience want to RP along the way they simply wish to max their character asap in order to spend as much time preening in Bendir :)

Re: Walking about
In a decently sized and composed party walking is simply overpowered as far as getting the most out of the party and making it a more collaborative "experience" rather than just a helter skelter ram raid of button mashing without much clue as to whats going on and fairly occasionally having to raise the squishy champs who just get rofl stomped by the mobs along the way.
When you walk as a party the stealthers get to stealth and the tanks get to form an actual front line and have a better chance of managing most if not all the mobs and the power of this to enable lower level teams to punch above their weight cannot be over stated.

I have champs that for RP reasons simply will NOT run around anywhere short of the middle of melee and I take a savage joy in forcing parties to walk with them and actually experience the dungeon and to collaborative opportunities walking allows.

I heartily encourage all players no matter how veteran and jaded to rediscover the game via walking and talking, if you seek adventurous RP as well as or instead of mere social rp this is how you get it!

Kudark

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 6:22 AM 

Player

^ What he said.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:16 AM 

Player

Unless I know that someone in the party's about to leave (I sometimes am that person) and everyone's asking to finish the dungeon faster because of that, I normally take my sweet time and RP all the way through the dungeon. I also have a character that doesn't require much to be efficient (lots of AC does that!) so I have all the time in the world to just type stuff up as the fighting is happening.

Seriously, it's Dungeons and Dragons, on a RP server. If someone doesn't RP in a party that's goign through a dungeon, they are missing a main point of the purpose of this game.. NWN isn't a dungeon crawl / exp simulator.

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 9:51 AM 

Player

Even though I mainly hunt solo, i'll just plow through a dungeon to get it over and done with. I rarely party with people for a dungeon, mainly because I don't want to see my buffs wear out because someone wants to take the tour of the local duergar pit.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 11:37 AM 

Player

I will die before most of you, I got shit to get done! :lol:

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 14:29 PM 

Player

Plowing through with little to no rp is boring. I could just play any mediocre MMO and have probably more fun that way. Since MMOs tend to have mechanics for your character. And enemy mechanics. You know, the stuff that makes grinding less soul consuming

Yimmi

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 14:44 PM 

Player

Well even though losing your buffs is somewhat problematic, I do enjoy RPing the dungeons! It takes away the monotony of it and it adds more realism to it... I even like to RP being raised! :D

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...

And DM side: DM Clangeddin

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 14:49 PM 

Player

Well, the fifth time you're running through shekats, or worse, the fifth time your character runs through shekats, the amount of RP you can do is... low, to be honest. "I killed fifty million spiders just ten minutes ago, but I feel like they might be back now. Want to go back and kill some more?"...

That said, I tend to still RP in dungeons occasionally, especially when my party does so.

And that is pretty much my stance on walking. In cities, I usually walk. But if I'm lazy, and nobody is nearby, I run, because I'm pretty damn lazy. If I wanted to stuff my time into inconsequential things, I'd play some other games. I'm here for RP. With people. Not slowly walking around Cordor alone.

Raua

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 15:28 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
That said, I tend to still RP in dungeons occasionally, especially when my party does so.

And that is pretty much my stance on walking. In cities, I usually walk. But if I'm lazy, and nobody is nearby, I run, because I'm pretty damn lazy. If I wanted to stuff my time into inconsequential things, I'd play some other games. I'm here for RP. With people. Not slowly walking around Cordor alone.

Basically this. If there's people around, I'll try to interact with them, even if it's just an emote about walking by or something. But if no one is around, or I'm grinding alone? Meh. If I'm in a party with people, it really depends on the moods of others. Personally, I'm shit at combat and typing (because my characters almost never have point-and-click builds), so I don't type fast when I'm in a dungeon with people, but I try to <.<

But really, to each their own. I'm not gonna nag at someone who wants to just run through a dungeon, because tbh, there are times when I want to do that too. If they're running through a city? Eh, they look silly, but I see that happen rarely, and my immersion isn't so fragile that it'll be broken by someone running around occasionally.

It's just not a big deal to me.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 15:57 PM 

Player

Hell, there's cases where people have a reason to be running. And, let's be honest, irl, Cordor would be a much busier city. It would be awesome if we actually had a cramped marketplace, with everyone screaming at the top of their voice, pickpockets around everywhere, and a large bustle of people everywhere. In an environment like that, there's people running: Couriers, children, that one pickpocket who got caught, the people chasing him, people diving to the side, all that commotion, a merchant yelling at you from his stall, telling you how he has the best meat on the whole market, his neighbor telling you that his bread is the best, and then you want to buy something, count your coins, decide on that nice cabbage from that one person, and go on to the next. Just as you reach for your coin purse, to see how much money you have left, whether you can afford some spices for the next month, you feel your pouch missing. You look around, and see the bustle, the people, the commotion, and one person walking away from you quickly. You tackle him, only to see that it is an old lady, and she most definetely has not stolen your money...

And this whole tangent is weird, now that I read through it a second time. Basically, what I want to say is that with our mechanics, we can't replicate a perfect, realistic world. (not that my example neccessarily is realistic)
In that scenario, people running is not out of the ordinary at all. But then, I look at the next person doing the courier quest (and I do the same) and just running up to Hil'rash and then on to Tristana, I cringe a bit. Couriers do run, but the world is so empty, so static, that their act of running feels weird. If you're always running, walking feels slow. Play a monk for a long time, or the anything with a perma-haste item. It feels weird.

It isn't even OOC to run on occasion, it oftentimes just feels weird.
Of course, there's also the part where people run in plate mail, but we've abandoned logic where everyone carries fifty bags, and strength characters can carry 3453 pounds, extraordinary people even more, and run with it. The point that person can't run anymore, and only walk is 5180 pounds. Now, if we went to the extreme, and went to RDD and all, maxing our strength to the highest... 16053 (still running) and 24740 (can only walk)... That's at 50 str, which can be achieved, and is the max achievable. (51 is definetely possible, and it might even be possible to get to 52, at huge sacrifices)
If I can carry 3000, or worse, 16000 pounds, my armor and shield, weighing 100 pounds together are no problem to run in. It's like you irl wearing regular clothes. You can run in regular clothes. I'd argue you could probably run for a while in a really heavy leather jacket. And that's what it would feel like to a 'normal' strength dude.

And I'm going off a huge tangent. I guess my point is, aside from rambling, and some stuff I like talking about, is that realism isn't exactly what drives this world, and that I personally can forgive that person who is running almost all the time, simply because it's more comfortable...

Yimmi

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 16:50 PM 

Player

Yup, I also run when there's no one around. I feel it's quite useless to walk alone.
When people are around I like to walk, as it gives time to interact with each other, as Raua said!
Sometimes I just don't care or I'm in a hurry because RL and stuff, so altho' it's not always, it does add some flavor when it's done with a party :P

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...

And DM side: DM Clangeddin

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 27 2017, 23:46 PM 

Player

Back when I DMed on another server, I used to give tokens (DC) to people I would catch walking by themselves. I consider that to be dedication and good roleplay, even if no words were exchanged. Of course I didn't dock tokens down when catching people running around either! lol

Then again, I'm probably more hardcore than many when it comes to roleplaying.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 14:28 PM 

Player

"Hardcore" and quality of role play doesn't equate to walking for no reason when you could be going to somewhere at a faster pace to actually RP with people. People who think this is a standard of role playing are just pretentious.

Also Mushidoz, no. You play an anime character.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 14:33 PM 

Player

OOC, I say let people decide what they want to do. Whether they run everywhere or walk for any reason whatsoever is a decision does not impact my opinion of them as roleplayers, nor does it impact my ability to roleplay in a serious manner. It just isn't important to immersion(and it isn't really indicative of if someone is a "hardcore" roleplayer or not, no offense to people who do find it important, but I never looked at it when I was DMing for Amia and thought, "Hey, what an interesting RP of..walking"). But I will say I do slow down enough to RP with people when it's warranted(and when I am not in a hurry)...though...If someone is having a Mary Poppins stroll in the middle of a dangerous area, (most) my characters will likely not accommodate them because they're not interested in faffing about in a place full of dangerous entities.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 18:54 PM 

Player

My running is typically ic. I run through cities!

CAN'T STOP ME I'M THE GINGERBREADMAN!!!

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 18:58 PM 

Player

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
"Hardcore" and quality of role play doesn't equate to walking for no reason when you could be going to somewhere at a faster pace to actually RP with people. People who think this is a standard of role playing are just pretentious.

Also Mushidoz, no. You play an anime character.

1 - You don't need to be with other players to roleplay. To consider that someone doing something in-character when nobody is apparently in sight at the moment of doing it isn't being pretentious, it's being able to recognize dedication.

2- Because clearly, any character that could fit in an anime is a poor example of roleplay. Any character that could fit in Berserk, Claymore, Record of Lodoss War shows just how much the player behind fails. In fact, any character with a strong personality, or quirks, and weaknesses / ticks / habits
should automatically be considered poor examples of roleplay, obviously. How dare that character has a strong personality and knows how to roleplay it.

Is Saya "an anime character"? No, she's a nwn / Amia character. and last I checked, Amia isn't a Japanese animation series. She's got a strong personality, quirks, weaknesses, she's not good at everything, and she has a background and has been through experiences that shaped her the way she is now. The real question however is if she were "an anime character", would that even be a bad thing? My answer to that is resounding "No."

ZoltanTheRed wrote:
OOC, I say let people decide what they want to do. Whether they run everywhere or walk for any reason whatsoever is a decision does not impact my opinion of them as roleplayers, nor does it impact my ability to roleplay in a serious manner. It just isn't important to immersion(and it isn't really indicative of if someone is a "hardcore" roleplayer or not, no offense to people who do find it important, but I never looked at it when I was DMing for Amia and thought, "Hey, what an interesting RP of..walking"). But I will say I do slow down enough to RP with people when it's warranted(and when I am not in a hurry)...though...If someone is having a Mary Poppins stroll in the middle of a dangerous area, (most) my characters will likely not accommodate them because they're not interested in faffing about in a place full of dangerous entities.

I'd argue that walking in a dangerous place is much safer than just running in blindly though :P Now, if they're having a conversation that's completely unrelated as they do it, depending on the characters and situation, yeah, that's something else (though it can be an indicator of the kind of person the character is too.. not everyone that's running this "adventuring" business is stable in their heads).

As I said, I'm not gonna condemn anyone for running to "save time" (I do it when I don't have much time to play or if someone I am playing with needs to go soon). However, I personally think that walking instead of running tends to be a nice roleplay touch. Seriously, just run in any city like you're in a hurry and you'll see how people look at you (or a shopping mall..). Even on the battlefield I don't think soldiers run all that much, especially when covering long distances.. (and I'm not talking about cars).

Last edited by Mushidoz on Sat, Oct 28 2017, 19:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 19:00 PM 

Player

I actually skip about town a lot of the time but NWN just doesn't have the right animations to show off my fabulousness. Maybe y'all should just use your imaginations next time someone runs by

Raua

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 20:12 PM 

Player

I like turtles.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 20:20 PM 

Player

this thread is getting extra acoustic

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 23:06 PM 

Player

During Hunting, Keep up. In Settlements walk. That's how i feel. I'll run in settlements to get things done quicker though if there's no one around or very few players on. I got shit to do! :)

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 29 2017, 0:41 AM 

Player

Just another thing to chalk up to preference. I usually walk around IG unless I'm in a hurry, but I can only count the amount of times I've legitimately role-played while hunting (outside of DM events) on one hand. Grinding is just something I don't want to think about while I'm there, because it makes me bored to the point of exhaustion and want to log off. In very few cases have I experienced such humorously diverse hunting parties that it caught my attention enough to stave away the boredom, and hunting parties are usually far and few in between these days unless you're leveling with friends. So I just space out and do what I have to do. Not a fun part of the game for me, personally. Which is why I barely hunt to begin with, outside of leveling here and there.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

PuresoulX2

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:22 AM 

Player

I hope you realize I see past the mispronunciation of autistic. How about learning about the subject instead of demeaning something you barely know a thing about. That is all.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 29 2017, 3:40 AM 

Player

PuresoulX2 wrote:

I hope you realize I see past the mispronunciation of autistic. How about learning about the subject instead of demeaning something you barely know a thing about. That is all.

Oh wow! I really hope this isn't the case if so, that's Hella foul and wrong on so many fronts. Some fucked up shit dude. Shame on you if so.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 29 2017, 15:08 PM 

Player

PuresoulX2 wrote:

I think he meant caustic.

PhantomDream

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 30 2017, 1:03 AM 

Player

I'm notorious for turning down "hunting" parties, because grinding gets on my nerves. Most of my characters will usually go to a particular place once or twice, but honestly after that.. there is no in-character point in them returning, unless RP suits. If you've happened to have had any of my PCs in a party with you going through places, they're constantly reacting to their surroundings and questioning things. Most of the time in enemy territory, they are walking and cautious. (I say most of the time, because I once had a drunk who liked to charge into places.. :wink: It's all depending on character, really.) Some of the time, running is necessary (Ex: A group of us recently got swarmed by undead. You best believe asses were running.). I think it really just depends on what is going on. Have I ever got HORRIBLY bored walking from one place to another? YUP. However, I've also stumbled onto a lot of RP from walking that most run right past.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 30 2017, 2:05 AM 

Player

PhantomDream wrote:
I'm notorious for turning down "hunting" parties, because grinding gets on my nerves. Most of my characters will usually go to a particular place once or twice, but honestly after that.. there is no in-character point in them returning, unless RP suits. If you've happened to have had any of my PCs in a party with you going through places, they're constantly reacting to their surroundings and questioning things. Most of the time in enemy territory, they are walking and cautious. (I say most of the time, because I once had a drunk who liked to charge into places.. :wink: It's all depending on character, really.) Some of the time, running is necessary (Ex: A group of us recently got swarmed by undead. You best believe asses were running.). I think it really just depends on what is going on. Have I ever got HORRIBLY bored walking from one place to another? YUP. However, I've also stumbled onto a lot of RP from walking that most run right past.

Yeah, that was probably my Drunk Arse!!! LOL :P

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 31 2017, 4:54 AM 

Player

PuresoulX2 wrote:

It's a word, get over it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]