View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
MightNMagic

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01 2015, 5:49 AM 

Player

The RP Advertiser went live! All you need to do is type "/s f_playertools" to add it to your character. It isn't another widget, but an option in your radial menu. You can find it as "Player Tool 1" most commonly under one (or all) of your class-specific options!

Now let's see some more people advertising!

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

MethodicalMadness

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 18:46 PM 

Player

Does this mean the Party Advertiser widget we receive on character creation will be removed?

RaveN

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 18:56 PM 

Administrative Developer

If people are content with how the new one works, getting rid of the old one will be a plan, yeh.

Eventually I hope there will be no unnecessary tool related widgets wasting weight/inventory space. If other people hope that too, it can probably become true.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 21:27 PM 

Player

I used the command, I received info about system creating this new one, but I did not notice widget being anywhere in my inventory or in my special skills (such as craft or class skills). Where should I look?

CET time zone

RaveN

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 21:55 PM 

Administrative Developer

Try right clicking on your character to spawn the radial menu. From there, look for player tools 1.

Elyon

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18 2015, 0:09 AM 

Player

Just bumping this up because it seems like the playertools aren't really a known thing still! As well as it's additional stuff.

Dead

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 19 2015, 0:19 AM 

Player

It's awesome actually. This needs to be shown to more people. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 23 2015, 10:38 AM 

Player

How do you "advertise" rp?

speedgrab

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 23 2015, 15:53 PM 

Player

It's more in a way to say. "I'm looking for RP, you can contact me in tells to find where i am" Or you can forgo tells and put your location down, meaning randoms can stumble across you. It's especially useful if your character doesn't hang out in hubs, or others currently are not in them.

Ts_

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 08 2016, 20:08 PM 

Player

Wow, this is awesome and something I wanted for years! Big thanks to whoever made this possible.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 08 2016, 20:26 PM 

Player

Professional curiosity: Does this widget get used a lot?

Suhjet

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 08 2016, 20:44 PM 

Player

I use it just about every time I get on server, though I never see anyone else in the list.

I think it would be used more often if a text/menu box appeared when clicking on the Game Entry asking if a player wants to be put on the list (or simply telling them f_playertools exists).

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Elyon

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 19 2016, 22:56 PM 

Player

Suhjet wrote:
I use it just about every time I get on server, though I never see anyone else in the list.

I think it would be used more often if a text/menu box appeared when clicking on the Game Entry asking if a player wants to be put on the list (or simply telling them f_playertools exists).

I agree, no one puts their name down on the list. Maybe players are too shy after seeing that no one else has put themselves on the list so they don't want to look like 'beggers', or perhaps simply unaware of the playertools. The trend only starts if people actually use it so it becomes the norm, getting everyone out of their comfort zones. Suhjet's solution would be a great way to solve this. Another solution would be to put everyone on the list as soon as they log in, and the player would have to manually take themselves off it if they don't want to be shown. Awareness is one thing, getting people into it is another.

Last edited by Elyon on Tue, Jan 19 2016, 23:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Liz

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 19 2016, 23:04 PM 

Player

Maybe a script on the entryway mirror, with something like, "You're about to to enter the IC world! Would you like to be added to the RP Advertiser list, so other characters will be invited to interact with yours? You can remove yourself at any time via the PlayerTools menu!" And then a Yes/No/WhatTheHeckAreYouTalkingAboutPleaseTellMeMore dialogue.

Ryu

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 0:46 AM 

Player

Elyon wrote:
Suhjet wrote:

I agree, no one puts their name down on the list. Maybe players are too shy after seeing that no one else has put themselves on the list so they don't want to look like 'beggers', or perhaps simply unaware of the playertools. The trend only starts if people actually use it so it becomes the norm, getting everyone out of their comfort zones. Suhjet's solution would be a great way to solve this. Another solution would be to put everyone on the list as soon as they log in, and the player would have to manually take themselves off it if they don't want to be shown. Awareness is one thing, getting people into it is another.

I love it when Facebook opts me into a new system I didn't ask to use, then I have to manually look up how to opt out. It is one of my favorite things. Forcing people to use something they do not want to use is not a trend it is saying you are going to play the game my way. Typically when I log on I chat with people I want to chat with and then move onto RP with them if I want,kill some mobs for levels if I do not want to do so. If the game forced me to advertise I was looking for RP I likely wouldn't remove it, however the conversation would be the following:

Player : You are looking for RP where at?

Me: No I am not. Game flagged me for it when I logged on.

Player: Oh.... why didn't you remove it?

Me: Didn't remember/Didn't care to/Figured the devs wanted me to tell people I wasn't interested in RPing.

Elyon

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 1:16 AM 

Player

I can see your point. I saw something like this somewhere else and it was made very well aware. Easy to toggle off and on, without having to click the option of a 'yes, no' menu, which is a pain having to do over and over again every time you head in game. I do like the menu idea though, as long as others are using it!

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 1:29 AM 

Player

Biggest problem might be the fact, that you have to:
1) read this topic to know about it
2) type in command to get the feat
3) use the feat
3,5) it annoys me to click on myself :D

CET time zone

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 1:51 AM 

Tester

I'd still love to see the RP Advertiser incorporated as an actual IC thing like I suggested with the Inn stuff.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 3:28 AM 

Player

Its a niffty thing and I can see the benefits of having player tools but then I generally agree with the above concerns that having the RP advertiser here is too obscured for new or returning players (or any one for that matter who hasn't read this thread). I've been using it but so far haven't seen anyone else use it or have been hit up for RP via my advertising. On the other hand the party ball is much more sucessful all round for finding people. I'd suggest just upgrading the party ball to have the RP option as well. That way its always easy for players to find and use.

Ryu

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 20 2016, 18:39 PM 

Player

I read this post when I came back and said awesome. I failed in reading comprehension however (or just excitement to be playing) and used the party advertiser as my RP advertiser. Having re read the post I finally added the tool to my character. Woohooo!

Ts_

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 19 2016, 19:05 PM 

Player

*bump*

The RP advertiser is still awesome!

I usually put myself on it including the location. So if anyone wants to surprise me wherever I am, feel free to do so! But also, I'm always hoping for tells from random players to do something together. "Evil" or more precisely non-friendly-towards-me characters definitely included.

I also hope that people who don't put themselves on the advertiser, still check it once in a while. As someone said in another thread: It's horribly discouraging to be on the RP or party list for hours and not get a single tell from players. (I start sending tells to random players after a while, but it sure feels rude to do so ...)

Regards
Ts

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 23 2016, 14:33 PM 

Player

Information on the new widget should be stickied.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 23 2016, 15:25 PM 

Player

T0mc4t89 wrote:
Information on the new widget should be stickied.

Agreed

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

RaveN

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 23 2016, 15:39 PM 

Administrative Developer

Soon, the old party advertiser widget will likely be consumed upon its use, add the tools for you, and tell you how to use them.

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 21 2016, 7:13 AM 

Player

Can someone rename this topic to something like "RP advertiser: How to use it", if MightNMagic doesn't protest too much.

I know there was an update announcement for it, but MightnMagic's post is the one that actually helps people. ;)

Thanks
Ts

Gers

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 01 2016, 12:30 PM 

Player

Is anyone actually using this? I never seem to see anyone on it. Also, is anyone else having to reload the player tools on each login or it doesn't show up?

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 01 2016, 17:02 PM 

Player

I always forget to use it, honestly.

Misty Summers

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 01 2016, 18:08 PM 

Player

The only ones I have ever seen using the tool is Ts and myself. Our characters actually got to meet this way.. *Big thumbs up*

I try to promote the use of the Tool as I can in game, mainly because I rather be Roleplaying as appose to anything else.. heh.. It is an awesome Tool for letting you know if a certain character can be contacted for necessary or random rp without the use of Tells. If more well known the Tool is especially useful for Newcomers to the server who wonder where the hell those forty people online are all hiding?.. hehe

In addition it leaves room for more random unplanned rp.. For example: I see your name on the list, rather then sending you a Tell to try to set something up, I can just find an ic reason to show up at your location, knowing that you are available for rp already... A little more mystery added to your storyline if you don't know I am coming? I think anyways.

I have however recently became aware of the fact that two of the players that play Saly's Brothers Bo and Jeb can't find the Tool in their special abilities menu. I am not sure if other Players are having this problem or not but it might want to be something that is looked at?

Anyways if you are ever looking to rp with Saly for whatever reason, I have it on most all the time when I am in game. If I am not already involved in a more secretive scene of course. *Sly grin*

davis114

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 2:16 AM 

Player

I love the concept of it, but I usually get on for a particular reason now that my playing time is limited to a couple of hours a night.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 3:14 AM 

Player

I used this a few times, hit up some of the people on the advertiser, and was told stuff like "if you don't know where I am ic then we can't rp" and then won't tell me where they are.

So like what's the point? If I have to find you IC anyway odds are I'm going to just stumble upon you anyway w/o the advertiser. And if you're in the advertiser and people can't find you ic because you're in BFE somewhere but won't tell people where the heck you are, why use the advertiser?

I don't use it anymore.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Gers

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 3:30 AM 

Player

AFAIK, arranging to meet somewhere OOCly isn't metagaming. Running to someone's rescue because they just messaged you that they're in trouble is, on the other hand. I can understand why people might be leery of giving out their location though.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 3:41 AM 

Player

Gers wrote:
AFAIK, arranging to meet somewhere OOCly isn't metagaming. Running to someone's rescue because they just messaged you that they're in trouble is, on the other hand. I can understand why people might be leery of giving out their location though.

well yeah. but if you're in the advertiser arn't you lookin for a convo or somethin? why do that if you arn't willin to tell someone where to meet up?

i've only struck out using this thing.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Ts_

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 11:50 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
well yeah. but if you're in the advertiser arn't you lookin for a convo or somethin? why do that if you arn't willin to tell someone where to meet up?

Yeah, that seems weird. Dunno what they were thinking, maybe just signalling their presence to members of their secret faction? Still weird ...

Showing the location is actually a cool built-in optional functionality of the advertiser. What you can choose to show (if you are using it at all) is at least this
party advertiser wrote:
~ RP Advertiser List ~
~ Name | ECL | Area | Hunt ~
Ralghok

and at most this:

party advertiser wrote:
~ RP Advertiser List ~
Ralghok 28 Underdark: L'Obsul, Top *

Note the little asterisk for "I want to hunt". And yes, it has fancy colors. Of course, different people would be listed in different ways, depending on what they chose.

I like the name + area variant, and usually have this on when I'm logged in, so people can find me whereever I am.
party advertiser wrote:
~ RP Advertiser List ~
Ralghok Underdark: L'Obsul, Top

The menu to toggle the displayed infos on and off individually is like this:
party advertiser menu wrote:
What would you like to do?
1. List Players
2. Add me to the list!
3. Show my ECL!
4. Show my Area!
5. I want to hunt!
6. Nevermind

After everything has been turned on, it becomes this:
party advertiser menu wrote:
What would you like to do?
1. List Players
2. Remove me from the list!
3. Hide my ECL!
4. Hide my Area!
5. I no longer want to hunt!
6. Nevermind

So it's really easy to use. Because it all happens in a menu which stays open, it only takes a few seconds to check the options you want.

Regards
Ts

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 13:33 PM 

Player

Info on the widget should be provided ingame somehow. It is a useful tool but very poorly advertised. Could also make a forum sticky of it.

speedgrab

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 02 2016, 17:15 PM 

Player

Perhaps a temporary sign with information about it placed in both entry ways/travel agency would spur it's popularity, until the developers get to it on the list?

Tandannon

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 09 2016, 13:32 PM 

Player

The list should show to all players in the combat log upon login, after the quest updates. Give everyone a chance to see it and see the players on the list. Include a brief message like, "Check your RP Advertiser journal entry for more information!" It will be widely used by everyone in no time, to everyone's benefit.

This tool is a great addition.

Gers

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 09 2016, 14:02 PM 

Player

Quote:
The list should show to all players in the combat log upon login, after the quest updates.

Good idea. Have it say something like "Currently the following people are looking for RP:" and then list the advertiser data.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 14 2016, 6:28 AM 

Player

Gers wrote:
Quote:
The list should show to all players in the combat log upon login, after the quest updates.

Good idea. Have it say something like "Currently the following people are looking for RP:" and then list the advertiser data.

This would be good. When I can play (which admittedly isn't all too often these days), I'd love to be able to find people to RP with. All too often the time I spend in game is limited to wandering around trying to find people and then having to log out because there's nobody about.

More people should use this!

Selmak

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 18 2016, 22:17 PM 

Player

Took you long enough to get this made. :)

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sun, May 01 2016, 18:08 PM 

Player

Someone sticky this please, or make up an easily found guide for people.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Sun, May 01 2016, 19:38 PM 

Player

any way to make them display cross-server?

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, May 02 2016, 6:16 AM 

Player

NinjaClarinet wrote:
any way to make them display cross-server?

+1!

And a slight hijack: Does anyone else need to use the RP advertiser twice before the menu pops up? Not always but often it shows me my party location instead of the menu on the first attempt. I'm using it from the quick bar, if that matters.

Regards
Ts

Suhjet

PostPosted: Mon, May 02 2016, 6:23 AM 

Player

Ts_ wrote:
And a slight hijack: Does anyone else need to use the RP advertiser twice before the menu pops up?
Almost every time, from hotbar and radial menu.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 07 2016, 5:18 AM 

Player

~Bump. This is still a thing

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 05 2018, 18:11 PM 

Player

I'm bumping this three years later because there isn't any clear documentation of this tool and it's incredibly useful for the black area bug

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Ðraco

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 08 2018, 19:52 PM 

Player

This is pretty neat, I've been trying it the last few days to find people to hunt with. But it seems other players don't use or possibly don't know about. I'd suggest if to make it more effective to add an indication that a player is looking to hunt, or RP, or w/e. Kinda like those bulletin boards work when they are updated. If they don't have the player tool feat then they get another message on how to activate it.

Guardian

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09 2018, 1:33 AM 

Player

I dunno.

Frankly, from "my" perspective, kudos to everyone who does NOT use this.

Let me explain. Amia "should" be a RP server. Which means you "should" find people to RP with, to hunt with, to be with, in game. By RPing.

Personally, I'm extremely against forum rp or discord rp. It reeks of OOC.

If you want soemthing IG, find it IG. If it did not happen IG, it did not happen.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09 2018, 1:43 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
I dunno.

Frankly, from "my" perspective, kudos to everyone who does NOT use this.

Let me explain. Amia "should" be a RP server. Which means you "should" find people to RP with, to hunt with, to be with, in game. By RPing.

Personally, I'm extremely against forum rp or discord rp. It reeks of OOC.

If you want soemthing IG, find it IG. If it did not happen IG, it did not happen.

I almost have the same view point as you.

An RP Advertiser feels so odd, RP growing forward organically is the best, natural ways. Im not as anti the forum or discord part but I think an RP tool is a bit of an OOC mechanic.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:27 PM 

Player

Sometimes the population are in spread out areas alone for hours so I like having a little "someone come to me" button that doesn't require me to go to Bendir Dale or the trade hall.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:39 PM 

Player

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
Sometimes the population are in spread out areas alone for hours so I like having a little "someone come to me" button that doesn't require me to go to Bendir Dale or the trade hall.

Part of the RP to go there.

Beside that, factions do not always mix well anyway. So the button is a pure ooc tool that do not consider the boarders of alignment, classes, races and factions.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next