View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 18 2016, 21:24 PM 

Tester

I'm a believer in putting your money where your mouth is and also being the change you wish to see in your world. So this is an experiment. In the other thread I mentioned that a public schedule for DMs might help us out a lot. Why not players then, too? Here are two schedule polls for one week, next week, October 23rd through 29th. It's very rough and goes by 2 hours slots in Eastern Standard Time. I made them during a break, on my phone, at work. Anyone is welcome to make a prettier one. One is for DMs, one is for players.

Amia DM Doodle
Amia Player Doodle

And please, this is an experiment. Don't give people grief, players or DMs, if they check a time and end up not being there. This is not an obligation, this is a tool so we can all better plan and enjoy our time together. If it ends up helping us, maybe this can become a weekly thing. If not, oh well, at least we've crossed one method off of the list.

Edit: Please note that you can edit your entry at any time. If you want to go literally day by day, you can do that no problem. There is no obligation and I emphatically encourage both DMs and Players to give this a try. This may not be -the- solution to all our problems, but it's hard to learn anything new without first trying something new.

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Wed, Oct 19 2016, 22:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 18 2016, 22:35 PM 

DM

I went with a general "I'm available for stuff at these times, but won't necessarily be on" for my choices. Which is surely normal. I can't give Amia all my free time, no matter how much she wants it. ;)

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 11:21 AM 

Player

I am available weekdays from 1-2 pm to 6-7 pm EST (mind if you go for the later end of that framas a starting time, Overall time will be limited to about an hour).

Weekends are a bit more flexible though sunday afternoon (Euro time) I already have a set shedule for Barak Runedar and every second or third saturday I tend to be away.

Best is to simply shedule a few days in advance with me, but those are generally the times I am available most days (if nothing comes up - hence a Brief nudge a day or two before is recommended)

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 13:14 PM 

Tester

While an "availability" chart is cool, that's not exactly what I had in mind here for DM's or Players. For DM's especially, because like it was mentioned in the other thread, a lot of us aren't looking to have one around for a special event, but to animate the server wherever people happen to be. "Scheduling" days ahead aren't exactly possible with something like that. This is intended more as "a DM will very likely exist somewhere on the server at these times."

For players it goes the same way, though; I'm available a lot more than the times than I put on the chart, but I'll be making an effort to be around on those times especially. Maybe not doing anything specifically, either. This is not an attempt to treat a game like work, but trying to give a heads up that people will be here, whether you've requested or scheduled audience with them or not. I'd encourage both DMs and players, just tick one slot if that's all you can do. And then try your best to be there. No agenda or pre-planned event, let's simply see what happens when we have an idea of when people have a high likelihood of being on.

Jes

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 15:19 PM 

DM

I see what you mean. I can't set times that I will "for sure" be on, though, I'm afraid. I have too much going on in RL to set an Amia schedule. I play Amia if I have time after my other things are done and I certainly can't commit to set times to play at the moment. Like you said. Game. Fun. Not job. :mrgreen:

Edit: Changed my selections regardless. We'll see how horribly wrong they turn out to be. xD

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 15:26 PM 

Player

I'm with Jes on this... I can give a "these are the times I normally would be available", but.. I'm not "scheduling" my times. There's been plenty of times I intended to play a certain evening, then, my wife and I change out minds, do something else. I'm not going to tie myself to a game that way. I don't expect DM's or players to do that. It's supposed to be something we do for fun, not something we have to commit or promise to do at a certain time on a certain day.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 16:41 PM 

Tester

Pnp sessions are often scheduled. Get togethers i real life are as well. And we schedule events here on the forum quite regularly. I really never have understood the idea that organization is somehow innately counter to having fun.

All the same That Guy, I think youll see Ive made it abundantly clear that this is not intended to be a hard commitment or a promise to anyone. It's an attempt at being there. If thats not how you operate in the slightest, cool, this isnt something to worry yourself about.

But I will say I personally find it more reasonable to expect such "commitments" out of DMs more than one would from players. Its a volunteer position, theyre players too in many respects, and we all have lives. But the nature of the job has so much potential and so much is enriched by them simply being on hand that I dont find it unreasonable to try something like this. It's like I said before, being a volunteer doesnt completely absolve one from all expectations and responsibility simply on account of "well, I dont have to do anything so be thankful that I do anything." Now, no DM has ever expressed anything slightly near that and DMs arent firefighters and EMTs. But this is an experiment to see what we get out of having a bit more organization and transparency for our players to interact with them, or expect that they might encounter one not already involved in something specific.

Honestly, the player doodle was an afterthought. My main idea is and has always been the DM doodle. I just didnt want to put them on the spot and to also show them that some players, even without their level of responsibility, would be willing to do the same. We are all in this together.

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 20:55 PM 

Player

Better schedule things individually than publicly as previous DM posts on the subject implied it.

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 20:57 PM 

Player

DI,

Is there any way to make a chart or graph of everyone's "typical" playtimes to show peaks of activity and lows when perhaps more DM or player activity is warranted? I mean... that might actually help a lot, rather than trying to schedule everything, let's go with what's already trending.

I don't know it that's even something this can do.. just spitballing ideas.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 22:14 PM 

Tester

That Guy wrote:
DI,

Is there any way to make a chart or graph of everyone's "typical" playtimes to show peaks of activity and lows when perhaps more DM or player activity is warranted? I mean... that might actually help a lot, rather than trying to schedule everything, let's go with what's already trending.

That'd be possible, but we might even already have that information. If not, that's easier done just by an actual forum poll. Going where the people are helps, but I mean a good reason people don't log on now is "oh, not that many people are on." It's good information to have in any case.

Lutra wrote:
Better schedule things individually than publicly as previous DM posts on the subject implied it.

I feel like the point is a bit missed here, Lutra, or maybe I'm poorly explaining it. The issue isn't "DM's aren't available to schedule pre-planned events." It's "having DM's around without pre-planned events to support the world and actions of players is awesome. Please let us know when you're generally around on your own and try really hard to be there." Players in the other thread worded it a bit more thoroughly, but that's the gist it from my personal view.

I'd also like the add I'm not particularly married to this idea. I only care about it if it works. If not, let's move on to something else. But fundamentally, if we're not trying something new--just trying it--we're probably not going to solve this issue. More bells and whistles, improvements to server and gameplay is great, but we are at a new fork in the road here. I'm asking people, DMs and players alike, to give it a try. And maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but we won't know if no players and DMs even attempt it on the basis of it being a bit different that what we've done up to this point.

Also, you can edit your doodle entry at any time, nothing is set in stone for anyone. If you don't know until the morning of, hell, an hour before if you'll be able to play, you can literally go in then and check or un-check a box. It's a "schedule" but it's really more of flexible thing than what it first seems. The only reason I did it a week ahead was because doing it the week-of wouldn't give enough time to explain it or really use it. Naturally, it will probably fill up more the closer we get to it and people have a better idea of their time.

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 19 2016, 23:13 PM 

Player

Neat and honorable idea. Doodle kinda messes up for me whenever I set it up so hopefully you're less of a derp than I am >_>

I'll fill it out just in case it goes anywhere or anyone is interested in looking at it. To reiterate, just like Jes, these are times I /can/ be on, but doesn't necessarily mean I will always be on! I can typically be around for DM things ~ 3 PM - 11 PM + PST. After that I gotta jet most nights. Same deal on the weekends, but I can definitely stay longer on those days if need be.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 3:07 AM 

Tester

Reminder that this starts tomorrow. A big thanks to Sam for stepping up and giving this a try, along with our player participants.

If any other DMs are on the fence, think of it this way: this is a bit easier for players to see when you are usually on, rather than dig through the forums and see where you might have mentioned your usual playtimes. And more accurate too, seeing as you can edit it day by day, even just minutes before you log on or off.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:04 AM 

Player

I think what folks are trying to avoid, is lying. Unintentionally of course. I know for me, I work 12 hours a day. Sometimes this allows me flexibilty to hit certain times, other times not so much. It is a good idea for those with predictable lifestyles. Some of us just kind of wade through weird wirk schedules, children, ant farms ect.. Good on you though. This should be a helpful for a lot of people.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 7:42 AM 

Player

I cannot tell you when I am on "for sure" if I did not shedule something and take that into account into my personal life planning.

When I have a long day I might not log on even if I might have otherwise. If my friends spontaneously ask me to do something when I have no set plans I will say yes.

Sorry but I will not plan my personal life to "I will be on THIS day and THIS day just in case someone is on and wants to do something and if not I sit there when I could have done something else and dismissed RL people."

If you have something you want to do, shedule with me and I take/make the time when I know I am actually needed/wanted.

If not I am on when I have the time and see who is around for stuff.

I am not against your concept, it just doesn't work for me, sorry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]