View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 4:25 AM 

Player

I seriously make a terrible habit of leaving mine blank for years. Some of this has to do with being a little frustrated with Amianisms when involving visuals that would normally accompany a race. Aasimar sticks out in my mind, and the goat rope in which to attain wings. PnP if you are an Aasimar you may or may not elect to have them. There is no ritual, quest or amount of studying that gets them to pop out. They are there and a stand as a cleae indication that you are dealing with either an outsider or a werepigeon.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 13:20 PM 

Player

Do you think a werepidgeon would be requestable? No, wait! Werechicken. Slaughter everything, just like chickens do IRL.

I like the template, exept for one thing. It seems like you are avoiding stating the most obvious. The color, at least if you go into DD, you are going to develop things. I mean, for me, I have problems seeing a face, no matter how well iti s described. So, I pretty much want to see a color in there. Then there also is the thing about OOC knowledge. I have no idea what a howling dragon is. That means that if you tell me what the person looks like, I'll think: dragon descendant. Since the good ones are metallic, you are probably going to be seen as evil. Or rather, worst case scenario. If you say "Howling Dragon" somewhere, I'd give it a quick google, and the know what they are. Yeah, talking about smell and the tongue is detailed (too much of it IMO), but I'm not going to have a use from it. Like the "New? Start here!" info post says, requirements are the game. Not any preexisting FR lore.

Crowfeather

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 14:50 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
I like the template, exept for one thing. It seems like you are avoiding stating the most obvious. The color, at least if you go into DD, you are going to develop things. I mean, for me, I have problems seeing a face, no matter how well iti s described. So, I pretty much want to see a color in there. Then there also is the thing about OOC knowledge. I have no idea what a howling dragon is. That means that if you tell me what the person looks like, I'll think: dragon descendant. Since the good ones are metallic, you are probably going to be seen as evil. Or rather, worst case scenario. If you say "Howling Dragon" somewhere, I'd give it a quick google, and the know what they are. Yeah, talking about smell and the tongue is detailed (too much of it IMO), but I'm not going to have a use from it. Like the "New? Start here!" info post says, requirements are the game. Not any preexisting FR lore.

I did say I don't like coming right out in the Bio and say "Look at me I am a [Insert Color Here]-Dragonkin." Everything else is laid out there in the bio for those lore savvy, and you know, if your character would know what they are it is super easy to double check: send a tell, "Hey just making sure, you a [insert color here] dragonkin?" I understand what you mean about not being able to visualize and wanting to see the "Color" put in the Bio, but honestly personally it is my personal preference as I mentioned in my post. Dragon Disciple is a Prestige Class after all, and -some- lore should be known about it if you are taking the class; if your character hasn't taken the class then it encourages interaction and conversation on the part of your character and mine.

For example: the Howling Dragon... chances are a character in the Prime Material won't know what the hell they are looking at save the fact it isn't a regular dragon type. Which is where the roleplay comes in, In Character interaction which makes it In Character knowledge thereafter. Knowing something in Google as a player doesn't really equate to the same thing, in my own opinion. If someone gets to look in the Bio and see "Howling Dragon" ... then Google it to see "Oh so this is a blah blah blah, my Lore is X-amount so I already know all about it" chances are they won't simply come up to her and ask "So, ah... You're purple! Don't eat me or anything, but what are you?" I used her as an example of why I like to include Lore Checks in a Bio.

Edit: Also... One may see tieflings and automatically assume "Oh it's probably evil" when that tiefer may not be. That just comes with the territory of playing any non standard race. Fallen Angels and Risen Demons (not that they are played here, using them as examples only) may be mistakenly seen as Good or Evil at a glance but turn out by their actions to be something far far different!
Cheers. ^^

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 16:33 PM 

Player

"Prestige Class after all, and -some- lore should be known about it if you are taking the class"

From a rules standpoint, as far as I know, this was never the case. It's just like the "staying in a tomb for x amount of hours for PM". It's not enforced. So, I think you should really put the color omewhere in the bio. I mean, it's almost as if I would write my whole bio in German. Some people ght understand it, but a big amount will have no idea what I wrote. For a special request, like the howling dragon... If it really is that unusual, then maybe, but then I don't really see the point of a lore check. Then it's just as much "You are purple, why is that?". In general, I am not a fan of checks in a bio, because they are obsolete most of the time. If people really care, they can ask OOC. Which is probably what I'd do if I see a dragon of a color I can't see.

I get the racial stigma thing, but certain things seem so idiotic. Like if I couldn't tell from the model that he is a gold. Then, I assume he is evil, because dragon with a weird wing color. You even asked for race. Should I just copy a description for a human, when you would tell that at a glance? I think it pretty much is the same. Or gender. Saying "the creature has enlarged breasts and a fair face", rather than "gender: female"? On my opinion, it's pretty much the same thing, at least for standard dragons, which are pretty common and therefore well-known. And why skin color and not wing color?

Crowfeather

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 17:40 PM 

Player

The post I made isn't Dragon Disciple or Half Dragon Specific, for one. It was an example of "general things I like to put in my Bios". Since DDs were mentioned earlier in the thread I added what I would personally add in a Bio if I were playing a DD.

It is recommended highly that if you play a DD you know something of your dragon type. DDs specifically are within one step of dragon type by alignment and should have a general concept of how that kind of dragon acts, likes, and dislikes racially. Why? Because the rituals you are taking as a Disciple actively changes your body and psyche to closer align with the dragon you are emulating. This has been covered pretty well in other threads in the past, particularly the Dragon Disciple prestige class thread in the Lore section of the forums.

Quote:
In general, I am not a fan of checks in a bio, because they are obsolete most of the time. If people really care, they can ask OOC.
I put Lore Checks in my Bios because the point of the Lore Check is to see if a character knows this information In Character in which point being OOC doesn't matter. Someone can know something OOC but their character doesn't; hence the Lore skill and Lore Checks in general.

Quote:
Then, I assume he is evil, because dragon with a weird wing color.
Song Dragons, Gem Dragons and others would have weird colors and they are not immediately classified as evil. This to me seems more of an IC distinction than OOC, being as a character may not know of Gem Dragons or Songs, or Mercuries... etc.

But! I digress and could debate how description of a character adds as much flavor to a setting as anything else, but that is really my own opinion and as such is not the same as everyone else's. I wasn't telling people what they -should- or -should not- have in their Bio. I was merely sharing to the community at large what I like to put in mine. I didn't ask for Gender or Race to be put in anyone's Bio, or anything else actually. I believe the style of writing Bio's is a creative process that is very different from player to player and as such they are all very different and usually equally valid.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 17:55 PM 

Player

Personally, I love what Crowfeather said, it's great to give impressions on what your character appears to be, rather than "Is a XX". Then again, I can understand about the "Not needing lore to play Amia". However, ICly, if you as a player are playing a high int, high lore char, you should know these things. Conversely, if you don't know these things, then maybe stick to low lore. Just a suggestion, as it is very hard to ICly play something you literally don't know.

In addition, I stick by my "KISS" bio, just tell me what I'd know by a 3 second glance or pass by you. Did I notice a scent? Skin color? Hair? Tall, short? Pointy ears? Tail? Horns? Wings? If so, what color are your wings... since... we'd see them! It's not that hard, and nothing I mentioned is meta-worthy. How much detail you want to add to that is up to you, but something short and sweet but descriptive is all I ask for.

However... I'm not a fan of lore checks in a bio. Where did you pull that DC from? Just seems a bit much to me, as in my opinion only DM's can set DC's for things, not players, unless all agreed on it PNP spell style, or something. Not sure what to do on that really.

Crowfeather

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 18:06 PM 

Player

Quote:
Where did you pull that DC from?
Skill checks are common in D&D and it is from this that I draw my checks from and the DC for basic, common, uncommon levels. Edit: Basically the Player's Handbook and DMG v.3.5. I also think if a DM has any issues with anything in my Bio they will let me know and I can adjust as necessary :)

Further Edit: For Clarification

Image Player's Handbook, Pg. 64. .

Last edited by Crowfeather on Mon, Oct 31 2016, 18:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 18:16 PM 

Player

I don't get putting DC checks in a bio. Just say what it is and note that it's hella rare or obscure if it is, unless a dm gave you the number.

The kind of folk that are going to know stuff they shouldn't will know it anyway DC or no, since, iirc, anything in your bio is always knowable and available, minus separate form descriptions for alter self and the like. Also DC checks on lore stuff, where did you get the DC from? I've seen stuff as absurd as a DC fifty to notice an eye color abnormality. That's such an absurd DC.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 01 2016, 4:43 AM 

Player

I only beef with lore checks because I feel that's DM territory - DMs set the numbers. I don't even set numbers for my own PCs.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 01 2016, 15:38 PM 

Player

Those DCs aren't necessarily representative of NWN either, with characters easily being able to roll over 40 in an epic setting with an arbitrary skill check because you have ranks in it.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

elmmaster

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 01 2016, 18:48 PM 

Player

Crowfeather wrote:
Quote:
Where did you pull that DC from?
Skill checks are common in D&D and it is from this that I draw my checks from and the DC for basic, common, uncommon levels. Edit: Basically the Player's Handbook and DMG v.3.5. I also think if a DM has any issues with anything in my Bio they will let me know and I can adjust as necessary :)

Further Edit: For Clarification

Image Player's Handbook, Pg. 64. .

These DC ranges are also expected to be used PnP pre-epic. Dc examples of epic levels are higher and more fitting for NWN and Amia. However, they are in the books and not hard-coded into the NWN game, therefore it is always up to the DM weather or not to use those. I think most of Amia is not PnP anymore.... I mean you have to special request PnP style spells for your character, then ask another character in a tell if they are ok with you using a PnP spell on them and hope they know what they are agreeing to. That said, PnP D&D is so much more inclusive, even Faerunian D&D than current technology can fit into a pc game that it's rather ridiculous for people to expect any server to match what they can have in there home PnP games.

I love the Bio to have all the information there to read but I personally like to use the lore checks so a player who wants to interact with my characters can determine ICly weather or not their character would know about my toon. I personally agree with Crowfeather, but I understand that not everybody wants to do things the same. It's a system that has been used since as long as I can remember in Amia and I joined around early 2008. When a DM has an issue with a DC number or a particular bit of lore being used they say so and the players change it accordingly. However the DC and lore check in a bio system in my opinion does help to cut down on metagaming rare races or unseen abilities. As doe the omission of info with the hints of *rp for more info* in a bio. That tells someone that there is more than what you can read so you have to invest a little more time on your part to figure it out. Having every RDD for example having the color of their scales in the bio is inviting stereotyping and basically causing a mindset that every rdd is a cookie-cutter mold of another of the same color. Too many assumptions about one character can be made by a player who has dealt with other characters of the same color scale, and many of those assumptions may prove false depending entirely on how a person wishes to play their rdd. However claiming that they have small semi-translucent scales on there neck and face that are visible on closer inspection and saying *rp for more info* is a great way to say your an rdd without giving away too much. It encourages rp and discourages people from making ooc assumptions about what they might know about someone else's character.

Slangachduinn Garurtiejir

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 01 2016, 19:04 PM 

Player

While I can mostly agree with you, even on the DC thing (it's not my style, but, no harm really I guess), I have to disagree on the DD color thing. Gold DD's have gold scales, greens have green scales, there's not much interpretation there really. They're slightly iridescent in Dragons when young, and I suppose at level 1 DD or so, but... there must be some indication of color, and I don't think there should be a DC to know, or "rp to find out what color my wings and scales are". How they act is immaterial to how they look for the sake of this discussion. Saying people would metagame actions finding out your character is a Blue DD is the same as saying all humans act the same, or all Air Genasi act the same. Appearance and actions are not the same thing.

In addition, in general, DD's DO act similarly to their ancestoral dragon type, it's part of what makes that class that class. It's not just a way to gain extra ability points. Straying from the stereotype should be far more rare than it is. However, my comment still stands that your appearance is your appearance and your actions are your actions.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 1:09 AM 

Player

The bottom line is when you take DD you are tapping into your ancestor dragon. Which means you will be taking their scale color. At level 1 DD. And the further in DD you go, the more you are supposed to act like your ancestor dragon.

This is lore and also DM rulings in the past. If that gets changed, fine, but it makes sense. Dragons are very stereotypical, so you are putting yourself in that mold, sort of.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 1:45 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
The bottom line is when you take DD you are tapping into your ancestor dragon. Which means you will be taking their scale color. At level 1 DD. And the further in DD you go, the more you are supposed to act like your ancestor dragon.

This is lore and also DM rulings in the past. If that gets changed, fine, but it makes sense. Dragons are very stereotypical, so you are putting yourself in that mold, sort of.

What happens if you don't? It's not a divine class, they can't take your wings away or something right? The whole point is that it's a bloodline thing not some divine gift.

I don't see how a contrary dragon disciple is any worse then a neutral or good tiefling.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 1:48 AM 

Player

I don't know, but I am sure penalties will be enforced. It may not be divine, but you are tapping into blood and heritage. Every step in DD is technically a ritual (fairly certain, just happens off screen, like Palemaster, unless you want to RP it) you do to unlock the next stage. So you are doing something to make your character closer to a dragon.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 1:50 AM 

Player

It's a DM ruling and our lore, other than that... it'd be similar I guess.

elmmaster

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:27 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

At early level are what i was referring to when i was saying the translucent scales. However please keep in mind that some planer types of dragons share colors with common types and yet are very different. DC lore checks would in my opinion be great for those rarer dragon bloods. Not everybody knows about dragons from birth.

Naivatkal wrote:

Yes there are some things that come with the territory being an RDD. However even full blooded dragon of the same color can have different personalities and make different choices and have different experiences. How someone plays off the chaotic evil or lawful good of a given character can be completely different than how someone else plays it. Those different methods of role playing a toon are why I like to keep things more to rp rather than spell it all out in a bio. That is not to say mind you that I think someone should be allowed to hide there bloodlines if they are going into RDD. You should always rp at least within one step of the draconic alignment. But! Only half dragons are required to be the alignment of their bloodlines according to the rules in the books. So within one step of the draconic alignment normally works for an RDD unless you go max RDD levels. The stereotypes of a dragon by their color are mostly accurate of full-blooded to half-blooded dragons. The more diluted the bloodline the more you can stray away from those stereotypes until you awaken enough of your blood (take enough levels) and take on more features of your bloodline.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:16 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
It's a DM ruling and our lore, other than that... it'd be similar I guess.

Naivatkal wrote:
I don't know, but I am sure penalties will be enforced. It may not be divine, but you are tapping into blood and heritage. Every step in DD is technically a ritual (fairly certain, just happens off screen, like Palemaster, unless you want to RP it) you do to unlock the next stage. So you are doing something to make your character closer to a dragon.

Never seen anything enforced. If you want to link me a topic that details the expected behavior and lays out penalties sure. But it doesn't make sense to lose or be punished for not acting a specific way as it's not a divine class. You can't fall as an RDD.

You should likely have a reason ready as to why your red rdd is a good guy, but I don't see it being enforced at all.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:22 AM 

Player

Generally, I've seen DM's have a chat with those very out of line for their type, if they grant the change at all. It's not mandatory that they do give you a color change. Just because it's not punishable, doesn't mean it should happen. Amia's lore is pretty straightforward on it.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:43 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Generally, I've seen DM's have a chat with those very out of line for their type, if they grant the change at all. It's not mandatory that they do give you a color change. Just because it's not punishable, doesn't mean it should happen. Amia's lore is pretty straightforward on it.

A color change? For acting not in accordance with your alignment?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:44 AM 

Player

No, you have to request the color change for DD otherwise you're red automatically.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:47 AM 

Player

What im saying is, if you're a CN red dragonoid disciple, nobody should be busting your balls if you're acting like any other CN person.

If you're a LG alignment and roll a red DD I could see a DM forcing an alignment change on you, but I've never seen anyone ever and can't imagine anyone telling someone they are in error due to not acting their alignment, save divine classes, alignment just isn't enforced.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 7:30 AM 

Player

If the person is extremely strong-willed, I can imagine remaining a CN RDD (for example) with only a few ranks in DD. But if you take 10-20 levels, you should be forced into an alignment shift. That's part and parcel of wanting to embody a bloody dragon!

In fancier terms, it's also called character development!

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 7:45 AM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
If the person is extremely strong-willed, I can imagine remaining a CN RDD (for example) with only a few ranks in DD. But if you take 10-20 levels, you should be forced into an alignment shift. That's part and parcel of wanting to embody a bloody dragon!

In fancier terms, it's also called character development!

CN is within one step of CE though. It's legit. RDD or not, 20 levels of rituals or not, you're not even a 'half,' You do NOT need to be 100% your blood's alignment, just one step.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Terallis

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 8:09 AM 

Player

Actually, after just 10 levels of DD, you literally take on the half-dragon template, in PnP, because you have progressed so far into that bloodline that you've become a half-dragon. And past that, it's just essentially making the dragon blood even stronger, drawing out more and more of its power. So suffice to say, it would have an /extreme/ influence on the characters actions/alignment. Especially since, with this server, you pull it even further than just the scales, features, and wings. You can get a tail, change in the legs, etc, at 18 levels of DD.

Near the start, sure. I'd say one alignment step would be totally fine, but if the blood rituals go as far as even 10 levels, I'd reconsider. And past that, almost certainly the same alignment as the dragon of that type.

elmmaster

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 19:14 PM 

Player

Terallis wrote:
Actually, after just 10 levels of DD, you literally take on the half-dragon template, in PnP, because you have progressed so far into that bloodline that you've become a half-dragon. And past that, it's just essentially making the dragon blood even stronger, drawing out more and more of its power. So suffice to say, it would have an /extreme/ influence on the characters actions/alignment. Especially since, with this server, you pull it even further than just the scales, features, and wings. You can get a tail, change in the legs, etc, at 18 levels of DD.

Near the start, sure. I'd say one alignment step would be totally fine, but if the blood rituals go as far as even 10 levels, I'd reconsider. And past that, almost certainly the same alignment as the dragon of that type.

Yes.... exactly that. 10 levels of RDD makes your character the equivalent of a half dragon in appearance and abilities, though still not a true half dragon. 20 levels of RDD makes you the equivalent of a full dragon in appearance and abilities according to PnP, though still not a true dragon. The only real difference between a half dragon born a half blood and an RDD that has taken 10 levels is weather or not you bread a child with more dragon blood in them. Children of RDD still have the same amount of draconic blood as they would have had regardless of weather or not the parents took the rdd class. Otherwise the 10 levels of RDD makes a half dragon and 20 levels makes you a full dragon. At least according to PnP. But again, Amia doesn't always adhere strictly to PnP rules, if you want to play a full RDD dragon you have some serious rp to do and requests to make and a lot of work ahead of you. lol

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 02 2016, 22:56 PM 

Player

elmmaster wrote:
Yes.... exactly that. 10 levels of RDD makes your character the equivalent of a half dragon in appearance and abilities, though still not a true half dragon. 20 levels of RDD makes you the equivalent of a full dragon in appearance and abilities according to PnP, though still not a true dragon.

i don't think that's true

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:06 AM 

Player

That's PNP, not Amia.

elmmaster

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:51 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
elmmaster wrote:
Yes.... exactly that. 10 levels of RDD makes your character the equivalent of a half dragon in appearance and abilities, though still not a true half dragon. 20 levels of RDD makes you the equivalent of a full dragon in appearance and abilities according to PnP, though still not a true dragon.

i don't think that's true

Well....

Dungeon Masters Guide v.3.5 Page 185 wrote:
Dragon Apotheosis:
At 10th level, a dragon disciple fully realizes his draconic heritage and takes on the half-dragon template (see page 146 of the Monster Manual). His breath weapon reaches full strength (as noted above), and he gains +4 to Strength and +2 to Charisma. His natural armor bonus increases to +4, and he acquires low-light vision, 60-foot darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and immunity to the energy type used by his breath weapon (see above).

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20021208a wrote:
Some characters pursue a prestige class not simply to gain new abilities, but to change into another form of being. These classes, sometimes called "transformational" prestige classes, include such varied options as the alienist, the oozemaster, and the fang of Lolth. Unlike most prestige classes, these classes are constructed with an end in mind: the transformation into another type of creature. For this reason, they don't lend themselves to an epic progression as readily as the simpler prestige classes.

For one thing, transformational classes don't always demonstrate clear patterns of class feature improvement. Even when they do, the pattern may not be open-ended -- it may lead only to the "destination" of the final transformation -- or it may not be balanced for infinite progression.

Secondly, there's the simple question of "How does the character become more of creature type X than he already is?" Once you've become an outsider, a dragon, a vermin, or (Pelor help you) an ooze, what's left to accomplish?

This column answers those questions for three transformational prestige classes from Tome and Blood, presenting an epic progression of each: the acolyte of the skin, the dragon disciple, and the elemental savant. In each case, I show some of the thought that went into the design, giving you a "behind the curtain" look at how I built these unique epic progressions, and where I had to bend the existing guidelines. Use these examples to help guide your creation of other transformational prestige class epic progressions. Players and DMs should work together to create interesting, exciting epic versions of these very special classes......

Dragon Disciple (Dragon)

Perhaps the most symbolic of the transformational prestige classes, the path of the dragon disciple allows a character to become the most iconic monster of the D&D game: a dragon.

Along the way to reaching dragon apotheosis, the dragon disciple gains claw and bite attacks, natural armor, wings, size, and, of course, a breath weapon. But in most cases, these are only pale reflections of the power of a true dragon. This suggests that the best route for the epic dragon disciple is to improve upon his already formidable draconic powers.

Because the dragon disciple's bonus spell progression doesn't follow an easily discernible pattern, and because the class is quite potent enough without it, the epic progression presented below does not continue the bonus spells.

Hit Die: d12.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Natural Armor: At 11th level, and every 3 levels thereafter, the dragon disciple's natural armor bonus increases by +1 (to +5 at 11th, +6 at 14th, and so on).

Wing Slam: At 12th level, the dragon disciple gains the ability to make two wing slam attacks each round (assuming he is at least Medium-size). Wing attacks deal the damage listed in the table below plus one-half the dragon disciple's Strength bonus, and are at a -5 penalty to the attack bonus.

Breath Weapon Increase: At 13th level, and every 3 levels thereafter, the epic dragon disciple's breath weapon increases in power and frequency of use. The damage dealt by the breath weapon increases by 2 dice (if it deals 6 dice of damage at 10th level) or by 1 die (if it deals 3 dice of damage at 10th level). The additional dice are of the same type normally dealt by the dragon disciple's breath weapon. In addition, the save DC for the breath weapon increases by 1 point, and the range increases as shown in the table below. Finally, the dragon disciple gains one additional daily use of his breath weapon, though he must wait 1d4 rounds before each use.

Enlargement: At 15th level, and every 10 levels thereafter, the dragon disciple's size increases by one step (such as from Large to Huge), to a maximum of Colossal size. The change in size affects the dragon disciple's base natural weapon damage (see below). Apply the appropriate new size modifier to the character's attacks and AC.

If the dragon disciple is already Colossal, he instead gains a +2 bonus to Strength.

Tail Slap: At 17th level, the dragon disciple grows a serpentine tail that he can use to deliver tail slap attacks. A tail slap deals the listed damage plus 1 1/2 times the dragon disciple's Strength bonus and is at a -5 penalty to the attack bonus.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The 18th-level dragon disciple gains spell resistance equal to 20 + his class level.

Blindsight (Ex): The dragon disciple gains blindsight at 20th level, allowing him to ascertain creatures by nonvisual means just as a dragon does. The range of this ability is 30 feet at 20th level, and it increases by 30 feet every 10 levels thereafter.

Dragon Disciple Natural Attacks and Breath Weapon Range

Size_______Bite____Claw____Wing*____Tail Slap**____Line (length)____Cone (length)
Small______1d4____1d3_____n/a_______n/a__________60 ft.___________30 ft.
Medium-size_1d6____1d4_____1d3______n/a__________60 ft.___________30 ft.
Large ______1d8____1d6_____1d4_______1d6__________60 ft.___________30 ft.
Huge_______2d6____1d8_____1d6______1d8__________100 ft.__________50 ft.
Gargantuan__2d8____2d6_____1d8______2d6__________120 ft.__________60 ft.
Colossal_____4d6____2d8_____2d6______2d8__________140 ft.__________70 ft.
*Gained at 12th level.______**Gained at 17th level.

Bonus Feats: The epic dragon disciple gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic dragon disciple feats) every 5 levels after 10th.

Epic Dragon Disciple Bonus Feat List: Armor Skin, Damage Reduction, Epic Prowess, Epic Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcana]), Epic Toughness, Extended Life Span, Flyby Attack*, Great Charisma, Great Constitution, Great Strength, Hover*, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Darkvision, Improved Spell Capacity, Improved Spell Resistance, Snatch*, Spell Knowledge, Wingover*.

*Non-epic feat. Treat the dragon disciple's age category as one-half his class level for the purpose of the Hover feat.

Dragon Disciple
Level__Special

11____Natural armor +5
12____Wing slam
13____Breath weapon increase
14____Natural armor +6
15____Bonus feat, enlargement
16____Breath weapon increase
17____Natural armor +7, tail slap
18____Spell resistance
19____Breath weapon increase
20____Bonus feat, natural armor +8, blindsight

It would seem to me that Wizards of the Coast agrees. Or is it the part about still not trully being a half dragon by blood that you don't agree with?

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:54 AM 

Player

Okay, Amia has their own lore for this. We don't become half dragons on Amia without a request, and you're born that way, not discipled into it.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:16 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Realtalk: the appropriate answer to 'do you become a halfdragon/full dragon' is honestly 'yes and no' in the fullest sense. Neither's right. I cringe just as hard every time I see people beat the "you're not a half dragon" gavel as I do when I see people beat the "you are a half dragon" one. Don't call yourself a half dragon because the character would have no reason to SAY 'Oh look. Poof. I suddenly became half of a dragon'. They'd talk about the rigorous discipline they took to pursue what they are, and marvel at the idea of being closer to their ancestors; and their mental chemistry works differently (because Half-dragons are technically more beholden to free will, whereas a Dragon Disciple arguably stops being capable of free decisions and is slowly swayed toward their alignment of descendance by virtue of actively going out of their way to emulate it.)

Awakening your blood to the extent that you start showing physical traits is, like it or not, altering your genetics -- probably as some form of transmutation (be it induced by divine magic, by arcane ritual, or by simply stirring the change within yourself); and I'm never not gonna look at it that way.

I'd completely be willing not to cringe if someone made a dragon disciple that had kids, for example, and said 'child' ended up basically manifesting their blood in ways equivalent to something that would (otherwise) require more blood than the parent pre-ritual could've possibly had.

The only distinction is that it's not 'poof you can call yourself a half dragon now' -- and the lack of a template.

Unless someone's about to step in and disagree?

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:16 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Okay, Amia has their own lore for this. We don't become half dragons on Amia without a request, and you're born that way, not discipled into it.

yeah. this is what I meant. Amia dd is different.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:30 AM 

Player

Mhm, here is our official DD lore thread: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=69066

It was written a while ago, and Dusty was a full DM at the time. It's our official rules for the class. And... yeah, there's a ton of arguments and bickering and blah blah blah for pages on end after it.

elmmaster

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:44 AM 

Player

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

elmmaster wrote:
Yes.... exactly that. 10 levels of RDD makes your character the equivalent of a half dragon in appearance and abilities, though still not a true half dragon. 20 levels of RDD makes you the equivalent of a full dragon in appearance and abilities according to PnP, ....

I had been talking about PnP rules in my previous post. My bad.

Terallis

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 4:06 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Mhm, here is our official DD lore thread: http://amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=69066

It was written a while ago, and Dusty was a full DM at the time. It's our official rules for the class. And... yeah, there's a ton of arguments and bickering and blah blah blah for pages on end after it.

The one thing with that thread that should probably be more addressed, though, is the recent changes to DD that were implemented. Specifically because, past level 10, there actually is a LOT more draconic progression being put into it. So much so that the character becomes more powerful in multiple ways and even can grow a tail, deformed legs, etc, with how much focus they're putting into drawing out that power. They literally start to become more draconic in appearance than even most half-dragons do. Given that even half-dragons likely won't be born with a tail, wings, or otherwise, but instead just carry a lot of features of their draconic parent.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 12:55 PM 

DM

Terallis wrote:
Given that even half-dragons likely won't be born with a tail, wings, or otherwise, but instead just carry a lot of features of their draconic parent.

Precedent on Amia says otherwise. Most half dragons have all of the above. Mine does.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 03 2016, 13:41 PM 

Player

We've really gotten off what should be in a Bio here :)

Essentially, as said.... What can we know by looking? That's all I ask!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2