View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 21:53 PM 

Player

Okay... I've seen this forever on Amia, but only recently it seems to be more of an issue for me at least. Most of us put hours, days, or weeks, even months and years into our characters.

Is it too much to ask that you write a paragraph in their Bio?

Really, just a little bit about what we'd see looking at your character. Are they short or tall for their race? Distinguishing features? Scars? If DD, what COLOR do we see you as (this one has become a problem lately, silver and white look too similar). If you're a genasi, tiefer, aasimar... tell us your features!

It doesn't have to be long, and as a matter of fact telling your life history in there is kinda.. wrong, IMHO, there's just no way we'd know that to look at you.

Just... what do we see when we look at you? That's all I ask.

Oh also... roleplay for information? Makes no sense to me... I'd know how tall you are without rp.

Please don't make me roll for lore, spellcraft or anything else to know you're a genasi... there's a zillion of them on Amia. We all know what they are.

Also, WYSIWYG makes no sense if all we see is the generic toon that everyone else has.

Okay, I feel better now.... seriously though, spend a few minutes and write a bio for your character, it helps with roleplay so much, since it gives an impression of what you are, and sometimes an ice breaker in how to approach you.

Thank you and good day!

Terallis

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:11 PM 

Player

I have to agree with this, personally. I mean, I understand that some people just really are unsure what to put in their bio, so they make it blank. But it doesn't take long to do something even like

Height:
Weight:
Hair Colour:
Eye Colour:
Race:

Or similar. And then, if possible, even add a short couple sentences, even, to say something like

They have a scar on their cheek.

Or something along those lines. Could even be something that simple, really. Just something more than a blank description or otherwise. Not even a minute of extra work there, really. And for those who might emote out their appearance, it'll save a lot of time to just put it in the character's description so you don't need to emote it to everyone you come across. Haha.

This server also has a good feature that allows players to easily edit their description with in-game chat commands. So, maybe if not right after character creation, you could take a bit to kind of mold the character through conversation and then add features to the description. (I've definitely done this before where I don't know the full details of the character right away.) And then as time goes on, you can even add to the description as things change. Getting new scars, dying your hair, gaining scales from reaching dragon disciple levels, etc.

Doesn't have to be quite that descriptive, but it's just way better to put something that gives off some indicative features that the characters can react to in a way. :)

corypx

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:16 PM 

Player

But maybe WYSIWYG.

As a shapeshifter who spends so much time in other forms 90% of the time the description would be incorrect so I stuck with the good old WYSIWYG.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:22 PM 

DM

Some shifter types are crazy and have bios saved for ALL THE FORMS.

No, but seriously. The only problems I've had with these involve dragon disciples, like That Guy said, or non-standard races that aren't immediately obvious. My aasimar just spent an hour chatting with a tiefling who suddenly has visible horns? (Didn't actually happen - just an example!)

That sort of thing I'd hope would be in a bio! :D

If only because it does have an effect on RP.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:25 PM 

Player

Cory.... you use two forms, much of the time, why not give two descriptions? One for human form, one for... whatever that thing is you are.

But sure, shifters are sort of the exception, but, I see a ton of NON-shifters with Bio: neutral, and that's just the default for typing in nothing.

waswar

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:44 PM 

Player

I'm perhaps guilty of morphing a lot of would-be obvious information into the general information of the biography. Three paragraphs about Kylaetha's attitude, demeanor, and the appearance of her armor, before her height is listed some point into the fourth. Though, I try to be in-depth :)

While I do love reading the biographies- or more so, descriptions really, especially when people put concepts into them, it's only really necessary for the Dragon Disciples. Silver and White Disciples in particular, but even in certain lighting, different wing types can mess up. Kylaetha's blue wings were seen by others as black during certain evening lighting in Bendir Dale, and they had to read the description to get that they were actually blue. So the shaders that apply to wings seem to get messed up.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 22:47 PM 

Player

Too much is better than nothing at all!

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 23:07 PM 

Player

I do a paragraph of what I look like and a paragraph of what i look like in my other forms (since I play shape-changers), complete with my names.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Missing Scales

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 23:15 PM 

Player

Location: Sitting upon my throne of salt, collected from the tears of my enemies.

A short to the point description, is very nice. Height, Body Type, Features, even if they are briefly described, and not given in numeric form. Which I prefer! make it snappy, and interesting.

On the other hand, you don't need to HAVE your characters LIFE story there, avoid extraneous details that cannot be observed.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 20 2016, 23:20 PM 

Player

Missing Scales wrote:
A short to the point description, is very nice. Height, Body Type, Features, even if they are briefly described, and not given in numeric form. Which I prefer! make it snappy, and interesting.

On the other hand, you don't need to HAVE your characters LIFE story there, avoid extraneous details that cannot be observed.

So much this.

t o u c h e d

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 0:30 AM 

Player

To me, listing stuff feels too much like a medical/police report, or something.

And typing it up like a nice little thing to read makes me fear other people's judgement on writing skills : (

I'll get to it. One day...

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 1:12 AM 

Player

if you are a planar subrace or a half-something then it is mandatory to make notes in your bio anyway that writes down the racial traits of the mixed heritage. Else a DM will do that for you!

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 1:16 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
if you are a planar subrace or a half-something then it is mandatory to make notes in your bio anyway that writes down the racial traits of the mixed heritage. Else a DM will do that for you!

Really?

:o

Better crack that dm whip I see a lot of 'uninjured neutrals' around!

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Bravo21

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 2:00 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
Else a DM will do that for you!

So.. DMIG then?

-Krrja

Suhjet

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 3:30 AM 

Player

Missing Scales wrote:

This is ideal.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Chupacabra

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 3:37 AM 

Player

LOL I'm Like always saying Booooo! When i click to see a Bio and it is a blank! Height weight a little something!

Estara

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 3:40 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:

Wait, what? When did this happen? Show me the ruling!

I have definitely seen/had characters of heritage that wasn't stipulated, both half and full-blooded..

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 4:45 AM 

Player

I loathe dot-point bios, and I'm admitedly shit at writing even a small paragraphs to describe my characters. Elwyn's current bio took a months work of re-writing, reading and repeating until I just gave up and said 'good enough', even then it was still reluctant.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 5:52 AM 

Player

I have recently taken to -not- writing bios, as once was my custom as a fair share of meta crossover seems to happen. While it is nice to have some idea of what you are looking at, i don't like the idea of this being mandatory. I made a tiefling elf. It has more than once opened the dialog "Why are you red"? At least some small amount of interaction happened afterwards as the information the player desired wasn't spelled out for you. Truth be told though, in some cases I tend to agree. A friend of mine had a character make out with a RDD/PM combo because they had no idea they were actually looking at a disgusting monster that would get chased out of most towns with torches a farm implements. Assuming his PURE evil ass didn't slaughter all of them first. So even though I don't think it should be mandatory as I tend to ask questions IC that give me the picture I need if them, I won't be terribly upset if this actually becomes a thing.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 7:30 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:

Uh, this is not a rule.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 7:52 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Yes please, at least height, hair color, eye color and some interesting feature.

I try to keep mine short and only put things that one would notice in passing. Including jewelry, smells, type of weapon, sounds... Although if I find a good quote that is representative of the character I throw that in too for flavor.

I read all bios and my character will comment on what I see in there.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Bravo21

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 8:37 AM 

Player

On the serious side though, I try to walk the fine line of having a bio that isn't just some impersonal numbers or give away too much of my character development.

My pet peeve with some bios is when the player has a novel for a bio that contains so much OOC information there's never any reason to ask questions or interact, just read the bio and move along. Same thing with bios that have lore checks for information, It's OOC and once read other players have to think about how not to metagame it rather than reacting naturally to the information that comes out of an interaction.

-Krrja

Elorathall

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 10:30 AM 

Player

Don't forget to list the anal circumference.

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 10:35 AM 

Player

Elorathall wrote:
Don't forget to list the anal circumference.

You actually have to roll for that...I'm not even opening that link.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 11:36 AM 

Player

corypx wrote:
But maybe WYSIWYG.

I hear you however on an RP server a lot of what we "see" is actually what is described by the other party, so I can't "get" it if you as the subject of my IC observation don't mention it.

All we the player see is a bunch of homoginised sprites where everyone of the same gender and base race is exactly the same height, weight, shape, etc because the avatars are all the same.

What our characters see when they observe each other is far more detailed even in a passing glance or casual "hi how you doing" conversation.

Try it in real life next time you are on a bus or walking down the high street, consider how could what you are seeing, smelling, and hearing be transcribed into a sentence or three for a small Amia style bio so that anyone reading it would get a brief if fair description.

We are not talking war and peace here and personally I strictly limit WOSIOAAAWITTTS (what others see is only as accurate as what I tell them they see) bio descriptions to a single "page" so that anyone doing a drive by inspect of my character doesn't have to scroll or go TLDR on me.

When I am in game I check everyone's bio even if it is just in passing because as a player I'm interested and because they might (*ahems* should) give me little relevant details for any RP between our chars.

Just my 50p worth.

Party chat filtered, RP or it didn’t happen

Byrdkiller

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:10 PM 

Player

Birdkiller Halfling SD of Dallah Thaun
Obsiddia Blackskull Duergar Cleric of The Axe Priestess of Conquest

Last edited by Byrdkiller on Mon, Dec 05 2016, 17:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:26 PM 

Player

I was going to ask that at least a single word on the case of Dragon Disciples should -HAVE- to be added on the Bio. At least add: "Silver" , "Red" , "Gold" , "Blue" etc.

Its really awkward to RP for a long time with someone with nothing on Bio with my character being all friendly and all, and then find out suddenly that the one was the "opposite" type of Disciple and then I go and think: "Ugh.. this whole scene should never ever had happened... oh well..."

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

Tarnus

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:48 PM 

Player

http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/index.php?t ... t_Commands

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Missing Scales

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 15:12 PM 

Player

Location: Sitting upon my throne of salt, collected from the tears of my enemies.

rafaelmacgyver wrote:
I was going to ask that at least a single word on the case of Dragon Disciples should -HAVE- to be added on the Bio. At least add: "Silver" , "Red" , "Gold" , "Blue" etc.

Its really awkward to RP for a long time with someone with nothing on Bio with my character being all friendly and all, and then find out suddenly that the one was the "opposite" type of Disciple and then I go and think: "Ugh.. this whole scene should never ever had happened... oh well..."

I'll agree with the disciples and also tiefs/aasses/genasi with visible features that are not on model, but only because YOU want to show them off! I mean the wings glorious! The lighting, terrible. I'm a perfect creature of the God's creation, I want everyone to know my wings are white! my bio clearly states that.

At first I did try to go the subtle route, and just describe the scales on my wings as frost coloured, and the leathery flaps tattered and frayed looking towards the edges, which is a feature exclusive to White Dragons. However as Silver confusion continued and my glory was not fully beheld, and I still got yelled at ("What is your name!? What is your Blood?! -buff, buff, buff-") I had to add the line " For those with basic knowledge of Dragon subtypes, it is clear she is a Whitescale."

So if your skin as an earth genasi is pebbly, or as a fire gensai sometimes has flames lick up at the edges of their eyebrows. A tiefling that has star shaped pupils in amethyst eyes, or a.. aasimar.. who uh... whatever they do (who cares XD) Your Bio is your oyster. Just keep it short interesting and discreet. Add some of that flavor. :P Get in on it, and roleplay your selection of heritage to it's full effect. Instead of just using it to assume you'll be a unicorn, we are full of unicorns.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 15:17 PM 

Player

When I see "WYSIWYG" or complete opposite of complete bio to smallest detail, personal history and languages known, I consider it sign of bad player. "What you see..." issue is clear. The other one - I'm not willing to go through few pages of stuff I don't need to know, just to get basic info about how does character look like (which is usually not in one place, also if in one place it is hidden in the wall of text).

I got tempted few times to go around and pretend to be oracle and talk to people like my char actually knows all that stuff they put in bios.

If you are unsure about english (as I sometimes am as non-native speaker), just do the "report" style. Some basic info about height, build, color of eyes and hair, if any specific feature is there, what kind of equip character carries visibly.

CET time zone

That Guy

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 17:32 PM 

Player

Nalkanar wrote:
I got tempted few times to go around and pretend to be oracle and talk to people like my char actually knows all that stuff they put in bios.

I have had this exact thought!

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 18:10 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Nalkanar wrote:

I have had this exact thought!

Which is why I don't do bios anymore! Having people scrutinize my bio was another. I have also seen metric tons of amazing players without them. If you are using it as a grade sheet, then you are discounting folks based on personal preference and a sense that they owe you a quality, well written description. Not sure how I feel about that.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 18:32 PM 

Player

Well, if you write infomartion into bio which is basically meta, then yes... I am judging you... harshly :twisted:

Otherwise I don't care about style or whatever, just gimme some relevant information to help me "see what I get".

CET time zone

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 18:58 PM 

Player

Personally, I tend to put maybe a bit too much information into my bios, but I try to keep it short. I remember a time when I described three different sets of clothing for Mezwar. Now, with things that physically change the appearance of my characters, I made a text file where I can just copy paste the 4 commands for the description of the characters. I did that after something happened that seemed a lot like metagaming. Personally, I'd like it if I could change the name of the character too, but that's too much wishful thinking.

Now, on the other hand, I feel like (personal opinion, be careful!) you should write things into your bio. I personally don't care about height. Considering we even are an international server, I get frustrated at having to think about the change from feet to meters. So I would usually write something along the lines of "unusually tall" or "seems pretty small compared to others around". While, particularly the latter, this is pretty vague, in my opinion height does not matter much in RP unless the character really is extraordinarily tall, in which case, write it into the bio. On the other hand, if it's not written there, you can pretty much assume it is just the "normal height", and not at all out of the ordinary. Then again, most of my bios feel very inconsistent (at least to me), where one is pretty detailed, and another literally was pretty much just saying he looks sunburnt, and that he probably is planetouched.
But then we get into another problem. Certain things immediately mark you as evil, but are possible to conceal. The easiest example is being a Pale Master, which isn't even all that difficult to hide. Write in bio? Personally, I probably would, but if the Pale Master is incognito in, for example, Cordor most of his life, then probably not. Here I personally would just base it off what is more practical more often.
Now, to the elephant in the room. Wings. Personally, I would say write it. On the other hand, if it's not written there, just ask OOC. Just like I would ask OOC if there is something in someone's bio I'm not sure if I can see it. A while ago, I wasn't sure if someone's shirt had short enough sleeves for me to see all of his scars. OOC Tell, sorted it out. Done, easy. Now, worst case, the troll in me wants to add, if the player doesn't react, or you want to keep it IC, just act like your character assumes it is one color. A DD should (in my opinion) be proud enough to correct you IC. I mean, dragons are proud. A DD wants to be more like a dragon. IMO, a DD should be proud enough to correct you there.

Again, this is my personal opinion, and I've even seen enough people do it differently and succeeding well enough. I mean, one guy, and me not naming the name probably doesn't matter, since it's obvious enough, but I know enough people who don't like being used as examples, even though I think this is a positive one, had a DD from a non-standard type. Now, it would of course have been nice to have it in the bio, but this player instead just made a point to emote it often enough. While, on the one hand, it made you not see it immediately, it, at least for me pointed out that it is not something normal, everyday, and rather something exotic. So I personally enjoyed that a lot too, props to you. On the other hand, I'm a bit weird with RP sometimes. Anyone seeing me just type out random stuff my character currently is doing while sitting and reading in Bendir Dale while I'm one of like three people online can attest to that. When I'm feeling like it, I just like reading and typing emotes, because they are more free than a conversation. And I'm derailing.
Point is, personally, I think if you convey your relevant information in some way, I enjoy it, no matter if it is via emotes, character model or bio. But I should stop typing, lest I seem to weird...

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 19:03 PM 

Player

Nalkanar wrote:
Well, if you write infomartion into bio which is basically meta, then yes... I am judging you... harshly :twisted:

Otherwise I don't care about style or whatever, just gimme some relevant information to help me "see what I get".

Nope. But only because you demand it :)

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 19:03 PM 

Player

The most I try to put in my character bio is the basics. Height, general age, how they look (generally speaking for clothing), and how they talk/act. Things that make it easier on people without going overboard.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 19:17 PM 

Player

I agree with everything but the mandatory part.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 21 2016, 19:39 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I forgot to put Stormwind's height in her bio and I don't feel like retyping the entire thing just to add 6 foot 7 somewhere.

I tend to hope people are okay just working with "she's tall :D"

On the other hand I am guilty of having a literal 6-7 paragraph bio counting my alter self.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 15:55 PM 

Player

Yeah, a few lines is all we need, I know I don't judge based on how well written any of it is, so long as it makes sense really. But, we're all writers to some extent, so... *shrug*.

If you don't know what to write? Bug me in a PM, tell me about your character, I'll write you a nice bio or at least do my best to try.

Okay, here's where NOT having a bio is a problem, and I know this has happened:

Let's say you take... 4 levels of DD just for the STR. You don't ask to change your dragon type, so... yes, you're a RED, like it or not. Then, you start hanging out places where chromatics are banned from, you use this to your advantage. First off, that's metagaming, isn't it? Second... let's say my gold had a 2 hour conversation with you, at 4 DD, you show signs of the rituals, there's just no way she wouldn't see that.

It's just too easy to INTENTIONALLY or UNINTENTIONALLY metagame, and I don't mean others on you... I mean your own character. Sure, most of us are mature enough to not play that way, but... ehh, we all know how that goes.

As for metagaming your bio.... to me, anything in your bio is what people know looking at you. So... telling about your childhood makes no sense. However, if you're obviously a tiefling, or have horns, or something like that... we'd know without talking to you first. It's just things like that, that's all I ask!

We have so many non-standard races here, and it seems everyone wants to be unique, so... be unique! But, if you go to all that trouble to be different, and it's not in your bio.... guess what? You're just a standard of whatever race you are.

*gets off soapbox*

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 16:14 PM 

Player

Well, as far as I know, you don't neccessarily see on that a level 4 RDD is a DD at all, much less an RDD. At least that was the way it was always handled with Pale Masters. It is ENCOURAGED to change skin color and whatnot, but not required, as a lot of the rituals is homebrew, and not official Amian homebrew, but unofficial homebrew. At least for Pale Masters, there isn't one accepted way of doing it, but rather 'find a way, as long as it makes sense'. Sorry, I'm not sure about DDs, so it might be different, but since basic NWN doesn't do it, and we don't have scripts that do it, as far as I know, it isn't actually required, but just encouraged to do something like that.

I might be wrong on this though.

Quick edit: This is actually a thing that makes it a bit difficult. It's called a bio, short for biography. So, writing an actual biography would be more in the sense of the word. So, the way most people use it, the more fitting term would be 'description'. It's just a bit weird, in my opinion, that people always call it bio, but then say it shouldn't be a biography...

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 16:23 PM 

Player

Bioware is weird. Yeah, says BIO, but... come on, it's a description, we all know this by now.

Also, I'd like to hear a ruling from a DM... does a DD show signs or not and at what level? It's rather important, I'd think, to know this so those who choose a prestige class can play it properly, and those around them can act accordingly.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 16:40 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

That Guy wrote:
Bioware is weird. Yeah, says BIO, but... come on, it's a description, we all know this by now.

Also, I'd like to hear a ruling from a DM... does a DD show signs or not and at what level? It's rather important, I'd think, to know this so those who choose a prestige class can play it properly, and those around them can act accordingly.

RDD Level 1: Specifics: The character becomes more draconic in appearance. His skin develops tiny iridescent scales, nearly invisible. This provides increasing natural armor bonuses to his base armor class.

Heres my take -- I don't think this means putting in capitol letters that your characters skin is scaly. However, like with my characters tattoos, I indicate that something is there and leave it up to the player to take a closer look.

For an RDD I might have: "He appears to have a bit of a sheen to his skin. Although, one would need to take a closer look to see what it might be." Kind of thing.

I do the same with deity, I describe the cloak clasp having a symbol on it, then wait for the player to ask what it looks like.

Hopefully giving players some avenue for RP, even if it's a silent taking a closer look to get a clearer description of my character.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 17:12 PM 

Player

MazeOfThorns wrote:
That Guy wrote:

RDD Level 1: Specifics: The character becomes more draconic in appearance. His skin develops tiny iridescent scales, nearly invisible. This provides increasing natural armor bonuses to his base armor class.

Heres my take -- I don't think this means putting in capitol letters that your characters skin is scaly. However, like with my characters tattoos, I indicate that something is there and leave it up to the player to take a closer look.

For an RDD I might have: "He appears to have a bit of a sheen to his skin. Although, one would need to take a closer look to see what it might be." Kind of thing.

I do the same with deity, I describe the cloak clasp having a symbol on it, then wait for the player to ask what it looks like.

Hopefully giving players some avenue for RP, even if it's a silent taking a closer look to get a clearer description of my character.

Makes sense to me!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23 2016, 18:07 PM 

Player

Yeah I am pretty sure the standing rule is as soon as you take xDD you develop signs of them. The more you take the more you show (and the more you act like your dragon type, people forget that, like WDDs should make unwise choices since whites are like that). Same with Palemaster, soon as you get bone skin you start to be visible. The more you go the more obvious you are.

That's what the DMs have said in the past, but we really need put somewhere so it's clear to people.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 24 2016, 10:38 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:

It's visible at level 1.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 24 2016, 12:26 PM 

Player

If we want to get super, grungy technical. DD's go through apotheosis at lvl 10, taking on the half dragon template. You get tooth and claw attacks. So..if you are super hung up about looking pretty by conventional standards, this is not the class for you. You could always just go for that exotic draw...or something to that effect.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 24 2016, 12:28 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Yeah I am pretty sure the standing rule is as soon as you take xDD you develop signs of them. The more you take the more you show (and the more you act like your dragon type, people forget that, like WDDs should make unwise choices since whites are like that). Same with Palemaster, soon as you get bone skin you start to be visible. The more you go the more obvious you are.

That's what the DMs have said in the past, but we really need put somewhere so it's clear to people.

A special +5, Vorpal good job to Darkblade for playing that disgusting class like it is supposed to. Disgusting! Boneskin, Scales,Wings...a fugging visible bone arm! Awesome job man.

Crowfeather

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 30 2016, 18:41 PM 

Player

Personally I see Bio's as a good place to list things which are obvious on visual inspection or other quick examination - Sight is not the only method of perceiving things: Sound, Smell, Taste, & Texture also play a part. Now, I highly doubt that someone will be tasting my characters to "see" them; and unless a blind character is touching one of mine I usually don't have to deal with Texture. I do try to put in Sound and Smell though.

This is my basic list that I try to put in. Just as a disclaimer: my personal list, my reasons, not saying everyone should follow it.

ExamplesGender Why? Because there are some of us that look feminine which are masculine, and vice versa. Sometimes a note is needed.

Race The same with the Gender; sometimes there are larger more muscular Elves or shorter slighter Half-Orcs. Genasi and other Subraces at least get a note written in the Bio to denote that they look different than the norm; planars especially get a Lore Check. Why? Just because there are a lot of them on Amia doesn't make them super usual. 10 is a base check, 15 is more like "Oh that is not common, but it isn't unusual" So I like to make my planar bloods with this as a base check for race. 20 shows the info is a little rarer. I once had a Feytouched Oread... they look like Earth Genasi, very easy to be mistaken for each other! So a 20-25 may be a good check for it. Something rarer? My Howling Dragon is from another plane and is usually not seen in the Material; so 25-30 or 30+ for Racial information seems to me to be a good measure. I don't put the harder information in the Bio; instead I say "Send a Tell" instead ... after I see you roll your check. So many times I have had people say "Oh my lore is high enough" only to find out they have no ranks in it at all... sorry, no.

Skin Color Why this? Doesnt this show up on your screen?! Sometimes... no. For at least 2 years playing here I played on a computer with a messed up graphics card. Everyone and almost everything showed up in a random mix of Reflective, Pure White, and a weird mix of a random Portrait and transparent. Many of the monsters didn't show up at all, causing me to hold TAB while I hunted or tried to find people. Also, if I have Scales, even if they are translucent or only on the bony parts of the body, would be listed here.

Hair Color/Style Color for the same reason as the Skin Color above... the style? A lot of progress has been made with heads on Amia, but what is the hair like? Coarse, fine, soft? Straight, wavy, curly? What length? Do you have super long curly hair but only have that straight hair head, cause that was the closest you could get? Or are you a male with super long hair, only to have no head to match it?

Eyes 1 & an Eyepatch or 2? Spider-like multiple orbs or Blind Oracle? A basic shape is nice; slanted, narrow, wide, almond-shaped. Eyelashes are not necessary but sometimes adds to effect. Ever see this super brawny intimidating Barbarian man who has long thick eyelashes? I have seen close in real life, and perhaps that is something that could make such a macho male character feel insecure, and ready to pummel somebody if mentioned. Eye Color is Important; it can help denote race, health, and a slew of other things. Also : Pupils. Are they Goat-like, Cat-like, Draconic?

Build/Weight/Height A general idea of my character's mass. A big reason I do this is to know IF I LOOK UP AT YOU or IF I LOOK DOWN AT YOU. This actively affects my rp and my emotes... more often than any other thing. Lol.

Piercings, Tattoos, Scars, Claws, Talons, Fangs Visible ones, at least, on the face. If I am covered 99.99% of the time? I would have something that says for example: "If you see me without hood/helm/robe send me a tell" or I will hand write it out. There is no reason to have it in the Bio if the character conceals it neurotically. So going and talking to someone and I got my horns out? It will be one of the very FIRST THINGS mentioned in the emote, not an "Oh by the way, you were talking to a horned tiefer this whole time".

Dragon Disciple There is more than one way to skin a cat. Silvers and whites look too similar to each other sometimes. It is true. Personally I don't like putting in my Bio "Hey look at me I am a Black Dragonkin!" [just picking one out of thin air] But what do I put in? The flesh around her face is gaunt, and at times you could almost see her skull's shape though it and the area around her temple is exceedingly bony and protrudes in a small pair of dark forward-facing horns. Her lower jaw protrudes, giving her a slight underbite; every once in a while a trickle of greenish saliva eeks out the corner of her fanged-mouth to trail down, sizzling acidicly as it falls. When she speaks her voice is rough and sibilant, a glimpse of a gently forked tongue within her mouth. Those near her can smell the odiferous mix of rotting vegetation and stagnant water. Etc.

There are hundreds of ways to put in tell-tale signs of being a Dragon Disciple: goodly dragons tend to have a pointed tongue, evil ones a forked one; physical features such as horns and fangs; scales -sometimes, like Shadows they are more translucent than not, but they are there; eye color; traces of their element; and so on.

One thing I like seeing in a Disciple's Bio is Scent. All ten of the basic dragon-types have a particular scent according to the Draconomicon. Sure some of it is based on Habitat, but not all. Mind, this is not something for super sensitive noses or Dragon-Bloods only - but a general scent most people could catch. It is my personal belief if you are playing someone very well versed in Dragon Lore or happen to be playing a Disciple or Halfer, scent is a good thing to look up and have a basic grasp of. Here is the list of the Metallics / Chromatics by Scent:

Gold Saffron & Incense
Silver Rain
Bronze Sea-Spray
Copper Actinic Stony Odor
Brass Actinic Sandy or Metallic Odor
Red Smoke & Sulfur
Blue Ozone & Sand
Green Chlorine Gas
Black Rotting Vegetation & Foul Water with an Acidic Undertone
White Crisp & Faintly Chemical Odor

Holy Symbols, Jewelry, Etc. Are you a cleric? Do you always, I mean, ALWAYS wear your religious symbol? If my character does I don't like typing it over and over again, but only once or twice for emphasis in an emote and I keep a full description in my bio. Earrings, necklaces, rings, or other Story-Significant adornments I describe here.

Voice Melodic, smooth, rough, grating, a whisper of sound? Does it bear traces of an obvious accent like say, from Luskan?

Gait / Movement Walks with a limp, walks like a predator, graceful movements, etc.

And there you have it, some things I do and why I do them. I personally don't think Shifters should have to list individual forms in their Bio because that is easily metagamed; in that way I think What You See Is What You Get [WYSIWYG] makes sense, no matter how many or how few forms they use. If a surfacer Shifter is infiltrating the Underdark... it should be their roleplayed actions, not their Bio that is an out, and too many times I have seen it being used as an out to want something like that in my Bios.

Also, other characters than Shifters can have alternate forms, for example the Fey'ri; should they put in their Bio their fiendish form descriptions or the fact that they are "planar-blooded"? In my opinion Hell No. It would invite metagaming on the parts of anyone who played with them, Elven or not. "Why does it say you are planar blooded if you are obviously just a Sun Elf?" Etc. Some things are meant to be a secret between Player and DMs just to enhance the overall gaming experience of everyone.

Just my thoughts on things. Peace everyone. :P

elmmaster

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 30 2016, 19:02 PM 

Player

Crowfeather wrote:
Personally I see Bio's as a good place to list things which are obvious on visual inspection or other quick examination - Sight is not the only method of perceiving things: Sound, Smell, Taste, & Texture also play a part. Now, I highly doubt that someone will be tasting my characters to "see" them; and unless a blind character is touching one of mine I usually don't have to deal with Texture. I do try to put in Sound and Smell though.

This is my basic list that I try to put in. Just as a disclaimer: my personal list, my reasons, not saying everyone should follow it.

ExamplesGender Why? Because there are some of us that look feminine which are masculine, and vice versa. Sometimes a note is needed.

Race The same with the Gender; sometimes there are larger more muscular Elves or shorter slighter Half-Orcs. Genasi and other Subraces at least get a note written in the Bio to denote that they look different than the norm; planars especially get a Lore Check. Why? Just because there are a lot of them on Amia doesn't make them super usual. 10 is a base check, 15 is more like "Oh that is not common, but it isn't unusual" So I like to make my planar bloods with this as a base check for race. 20 shows the info is a little rarer. I once had a Feytouched Oread... they look like Earth Genasi, very easy to be mistaken for each other! So a 20-25 may be a good check for it. Something rarer? My Howling Dragon is from another plane and is usually not seen in the Material; so 25-30 or 30+ for Racial information seems to me to be a good measure. I don't put the harder information in the Bio; instead I say "Send a Tell" instead ... after I see you roll your check. So many times I have had people say "Oh my lore is high enough" only to find out they have no ranks in it at all... sorry, no.

Skin Color Why this? Doesnt this show up on your screen?! Sometimes... no. For at least 2 years playing here I played on a computer with a messed up graphics card. Everyone and almost everything showed up in a random mix of Reflective, Pure White, and a weird mix of a random Portrait and transparent. Many of the monsters didn't show up at all, causing me to hold TAB while I hunted or tried to find people. Also, if I have Scales, even if they are translucent or only on the bony parts of the body, would be listed here.

Hair Color/Style Color for the same reason as the Skin Color above... the style? A lot of progress has been made with heads on Amia, but what is the hair like? Coarse, fine, soft? Straight, wavy, curly? What length? Do you have super long curly hair but only have that straight hair head, cause that was the closest you could get? Or are you a male with super long hair, only to have no head to match it?

Eyes 1 & an Eyepatch or 2? Spider-like multiple orbs or Blind Oracle? A basic shape is nice; slanted, narrow, wide, almond-shaped. Eyelashes are not necessary but sometimes adds to effect. Ever see this super brawny intimidating Barbarian man who has long thick eyelashes? I have seen close in real life, and perhaps that is something that could make such a macho male character feel insecure, and ready to pummel somebody if mentioned. Eye Color is Important; it can help denote race, health, and a slew of other things. Also : Pupils. Are they Goat-like, Cat-like, Draconic?

Build/Weight/Height A general idea of my character's mass. A big reason I do this is to know IF I LOOK UP AT YOU or IF I LOOK DOWN AT YOU. This actively affects my rp and my emotes... more often than any other thing. Lol.

Piercings, Tattoos, Scars, Claws, Talons, Fangs Visible ones, at least, on the face. If I am covered 99.99% of the time? I would have something that says for example: "If you see me without hood/helm/robe send me a tell" or I will hand write it out. There is no reason to have it in the Bio if the character conceals it neurotically. So going and talking to someone and I got my horns out? It will be one of the very FIRST THINGS mentioned in the emote, not an "Oh by the way, you were talking to a horned tiefer this whole time".

Dragon Disciple There is more than one way to skin a cat. Silvers and whites look too similar to each other sometimes. It is true. Personally I don't like putting in my Bio "Hey look at me I am a Black Dragonkin!" [just picking one out of thin air] But what do I put in? The flesh around her face is gaunt, and at times you could almost see her skull's shape though it and the area around her temple is exceedingly bony and protrudes in a small pair of dark forward-facing horns. Her lower jaw protrudes, giving her a slight underbite; every once in a while a trickle of greenish saliva eeks out the corner of her fanged-mouth to trail down, sizzling acidicly as it falls. When she speaks her voice is rough and sibilant, a glimpse of a gently forked tongue within her mouth. Those near her can smell the odiferous mix of rotting vegetation and stagnant water. Etc.

There are hundreds of ways to put in tell-tale signs of being a Dragon Disciple: goodly dragons tend to have a pointed tongue, evil ones a forked one; physical features such as horns and fangs; scales -sometimes, like Shadows they are more translucent than not, but they are there; eye color; traces of their element; and so on.

One thing I like seeing in a Disciple's Bio is Scent. All ten of the basic dragon-types have a particular scent according to the Draconomicon. Sure some of it is based on Habitat, but not all. Mind, this is not something for super sensitive noses or Dragon-Bloods only - but a general scent most people could catch. It is my personal belief if you are playing someone very well versed in Dragon Lore or happen to be playing a Disciple or Halfer, scent is a good thing to look up and have a basic grasp of. Here is the list of the Metallics / Chromatics by Scent:

Gold Saffron & Incense
Silver Rain
Bronze Sea-Spray
Copper Actinic Stony Odor
Brass Actinic Sandy or Metallic Odor
Red Smoke & Sulfur
Blue Ozone & Sand
Green Chlorine Gas
Black Rotting Vegetation & Foul Water with an Acidic Undertone
White Crisp & Faintly Chemical Odor

Holy Symbols, Jewelry, Etc. Are you a cleric? Do you always, I mean, ALWAYS wear your religious symbol? If my character does I don't like typing it over and over again, but only once or twice for emphasis in an emote and I keep a full description in my bio. Earrings, necklaces, rings, or other Story-Significant adornments I describe here.

Voice Melodic, smooth, rough, grating, a whisper of sound? Does it bear traces of an obvious accent like say, from Luskan?

Gait / Movement Walks with a limp, walks like a predator, graceful movements, etc.

And there you have it, some things I do and why I do them. I personally don't think Shifters should have to list individual forms in their Bio because that is easily metagamed; in that way I think What You See Is What You Get [WYSIWYG] makes sense, no matter how many or how few forms they use. If a surfacer Shifter is infiltrating the Underdark... it should be their roleplayed actions, not their Bio that is an out, and too many times I have seen it being used as an out to want something like that in my Bios.

Also, other characters than Shifters can have alternate forms, for example the Fey'ri; should they put in their Bio their fiendish form descriptions or the fact that they are "planar-blooded"? In my opinion Hell No. It would invite metagaming on the parts of anyone who played with them, Elven or not. "Why does it say you are planar blooded if you are obviously just a Sun Elf?" Etc. Some things are meant to be a secret between Player and DMs just to enhance the overall gaming experience of everyone.

Just my thoughts on things. Peace everyone. :P

YES!!!! ALL THIS!!!!

Slangachduinn Garurtiejir

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2016, 3:36 AM 

Player

Now I just not want to leave my bio blank forever.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next