View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Strikeclone

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03 2016, 1:27 AM 

Player

Use it.

That is all.

P.S. keep logging on and no one is looking for group even though I knew for a fact that several characters online right now are leveling still and are willing to group but for some reason do not or will not use the advertiser. As someone loath to solo I implore people to get connected with those sharing the drudge of solo grinding and turn it into a communal grind that might birth some interesting RP and IC contacts.

SC

Party chat filtered, RP or it didn’t happen

Byrdkiller

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03 2016, 16:33 PM 

Player

Birdkiller Halfling SD of Dallah Thaun
Obsiddia Blackskull Duergar Cleric of The Axe Priestess of Conquest

Last edited by Byrdkiller on Mon, Dec 05 2016, 17:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dunecat

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03 2016, 19:37 PM 

Player

I suggest it to be adjusted to ACTIVE state as default.

exquisitelyme

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03 2016, 19:41 PM 

Player

Dunecat wrote:

Not only that, but a sign in Welcome to Amia telling new and old players alike how to install the Player Tools in their radial menu would do good.

Byrdkiller

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03 2016, 22:58 PM 

Player

Birdkiller Halfling SD of Dallah Thaun
Obsiddia Blackskull Duergar Cleric of The Axe Priestess of Conquest

Last edited by Byrdkiller on Mon, Dec 05 2016, 17:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 04 2016, 0:39 AM 

Player

Byrdkiller wrote:
^^ what tools? oO

do "/s f_playertools" minus the quotes to add or do it again to remove the tools from the radial menu.

It has a number of functions my fav being the black screen bug fixer.

If you zone and find everything black just use the radial menu to get the tools cursor and click on your portrait and presto all is well again.

P.S. use the party advertiser!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 04 2016, 2:41 AM 

Tester

I would still like to see the Party Advertiser made into an IC fixture, like I talked about in this thread.

There are some folk who feel kind of awkward about the whole OoCness of using it. And it also offers a reason to (re)visit IC hubs.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 04 2016, 12:05 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
I would still like to see the Party Advertiser made into an IC fixture, like I talked about in this thread.

There are some folk who feel kind of awkward about the whole OoCness of using it. And it also offers a reason to (re)visit IC hubs.

True, at times you can struggle to think of why certain characters might come together, however there is certainly nothing stopping people from ICly posting on boards that they are looking for travelling companions.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 04 2016, 13:45 PM 

Player

I don't think the party advertiser needs to be over complicated or over thought, there is nothing about it that needs to be contrived into some awkward pedestrian IC RP.

Just use it as intended as a starting point to connect with other players who are making it clear they wish to collaborate on something. There is no convention that having made ooc contact that your characters ~must~ then get along in character.

Just last night one of my characters was on the looking for party list and was contacted by a character who was a monster race character, long story short with no spoilers they didn't get along ICly and they went their separate ways and of course oocly between me and the other player everything was cool no problems.

SC

msheeler

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 04 2017, 22:36 PM 

Player

I was considering creating an interactive bulletin board that would let you add a message to it which would then update all the bulletin boards across the server. An IC tool to gather people together or advertise for a merchant type character.

For example:
Quote:
There are 3 notices on this board -

1. Looking for a group of people to beat down some orcs in the frontier, meet me by the temple of love in Cordor... Garth

2. Selling a very powerful cloak of protection (+5). Come to vendor Dale if you're interested and ask for Sami.

3. I'll be opening my store in the Cordor Market, Lillian

Do you thing that would be worthwhile?

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 04 2017, 22:42 PM 

Player

Do it.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Kudark

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 04 2017, 22:45 PM 

Player

Dunecat wrote:

Please, no. I think there should be an option to add your character, if that's what you want, but we shouldn't be forced.

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 04 2017, 23:10 PM 

Player

msheeler wrote:
Do you thing that would be worthwhile?

If it doesn't take a huge amount of dev time, sure. It'd be great to have, but it's not /needed/ as long as player tools become newbie friendly.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 0:15 AM 

Player

Kudark wrote:
Dunecat wrote:

Please, no. I think there should be an option to add your character, if that's what you want, but we shouldn't be forced.

I don't see how being actively looking for party/rp by default is anything but benign and so the concept of being outraged and "forced" is a position I find hard to understand.

Its obvious that the same tool currently used to add a character to looking for party/rp list would instead be used to take a character of the list.

Zero harm to any player or character but the possibility that there would be a few less new players wandering around a largely empty server scratching their head as to how to connect with other players.

So if such a thing can be done it would get my vote.

Kudark

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 0:48 AM 

Player

Outraged? Not sure where you're getting that one from.
And it's not benign if it's active, that's just contradictory.
I stand by my opinion that it should be a Player choice to use the Party Tool, or not.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 6:03 AM 

Player

Forcing it to be active by default invites meta-gaming. If the player manually chooses to have it active, then they've given their permission to anyone who looks at the advertiser to come find them for RP.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 15:06 PM 

Administrative Developer

RaveN wrote:
I think at this point it might just be worth replacing the code in the new character assignment to spawn the old one with just adding the feat instead, and make the old item self destruct on use :P

The player shout command checks for the existence of the feat then adds it, if you need script reference.

@msheeler -
I would recommend that the part that spawns the party widget in the first place could be changed to just give you the playertools instead if you do not already have them. That code segment can be found in the shout commands file (look for 'playertools' in that nss). Then just have the existing widget either self-destruct, or open the conversation for the playertools instead.

If you CBA, you could just send me the code and I'll fix it.

Strikeclone

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 07 2017, 13:28 PM 

Player

Kudark wrote:
Outraged? Not sure where you're getting that one from.

Because you transmuted the meaning of someones posts from an innocuous suggestion into one where something was being "forced" on someone, it matters not if you were literally outraged or not I suspect not but if you disagree with something you should be able to reason to the suggestion rather than employ reductio ad absurdum.

Kudark wrote:
And it's not benign if it's active, that's just contradictory.

The party/rp advertiser is benign, there is nothing contradictory about that fact I think you have misunderstood what I have said.

Richard_Edmund wrote:
Forcing it to be active by default invites meta-gaming.

It has long been understood that the tool and the need for it outweigh the metagaming impact of two or more people being able to get together that otherwise would have to rely on unsolicited messages to everyone online or blind luck.

Richard_Edmund wrote:
If the player manually chooses to have it active, then they've given their permission to anyone who looks at the advertiser to come find them for RP.

The only difference between having the tools on or off by default is the difference between an experienced veteran player having to spend a moment on logging in to remove themselves from the list if they so wish versus a new player who may not be aware of the tools who is miffed at not being able to find anyone to play with.

I think that on balance the needs of the new and potentially unaware out weight the needs of those who have played here long enough to be familiar with the tools.

P.S. if the server is so full of pvpers waiting to metagame everyone's location in order to get up to no good I suggest to you they are already loitering in the low hunting areas and Bendir and the party/rp tools would be redundant for their purposes.

P.S. Yes I can employ rhetorical devices and sarcasm as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]