View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:15 PM 

Player

Quote:
Jail turned from a way for guards to interact with criminal PCs, and keep both parties entertained rather than segregated after the resolution of conflict RP, and instead became, as stated by players in this topic, "I don't want to deal with you, and now you expect me to sit in a jail cell and RP with you?"

That is an IC thought... not an ooc thought. My character would not wish to deal with that character, since... they are, in her opinion, not someone she wishes to associate with. That makes jail and the rp of it... less than savory. I've taken the liberty of removing most of my posts on this topic as I don't appreciate my words being used out of context.

I personally am open to most legal types of roleplay on Amia, however, there are some evil characters that are simply nuisances, and anyone who disagrees, well, I'm sorry, that is my opinion. I'm as entitled to mine, as you are to yours.

Also, just an aside, I have never banned anyone.. other than a "partial ban" for a certain character that is nearly lifted at this point, and lasted 2 weeks, and they were told, very clearly.

Now... can we all just play this game and try to do better?

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:23 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Tarnus wrote:
Righto, this shitting on other players ends here or this thread gets closed and the title gets an ironic meaning. That goes especially towards you Akhlys.

He's right though. In my time back, and especially as a DM, culture towards banning has changed. I know the DMs are aware of this, because it was the subject of several group skype conversations, and it was agreed that the current system of ban waves as per mid-late 2015 and going onwards, was not well backed and unsustainable. DM silence here doesn't change those conversations we had and the agreements we had, or the fact that nothing was done because at the time, while the DM team had about 16 people, only 5 ever logged in on a regular basis, and so they were carrying the weight of a team 3x their size and choking under the red tape of a supposedly democratic system that came down to "things only got done when you decided to ignore everyone else who wasn't doing therr job."

As a DM, I had to overturn bans that were being handed out for things as simple as "I don't like the way you talked to me today." These were bans added to a permanent exile list, with no time, date, or reason, and sometimes with no notification to the PC or player IC or OOC. These bans came from multiple locations around the server, and contesting them was pointless because they were ignored or shrugged off not just IC but also OOC. The ban system has come down to a point where, self admitted by several players in this topic, it's nothing more than a way for people to get rid of PCs and players they don't like, so they don't need to "deal with you." There's no recourse to have a conversation, speak, or anything, it's about hiding behind giant walls where it's metagaming if anyone bothers to show their face.

Ironically, this is why the two-wall system Bendir currently has, and the current rule of "doesn't apply outside the inner walls" is great, and why the previous system before was great. The city is in an area surrounded by non-city territory, which means characters have a means to not only go around the city if they need to, but also have a way to interact with players, giving both characters oriented towards driving server conflict an avenue of roleplay, and characters oriented towards fighting and defending that conflcit, and avenue of roleplay to defend and protect. It also allows socialite characters an opportunity to meet with all sorts of characters in a relatively safe environment: While conflcit can break out, the presence of so many different characters means its likely your PC will find backup, or can hide within the city if need be.

Bans from cities should, with the exception of Kohlingen due to how that city even works and exists (crusader city of paladins that actively works to extend its influence religiously and militarily), be restricted to dealing with that city specifically. The DMs agreed with this assessment in previous conversations, but nothing was ever done about it - it sort of got shelved like a lot of conversations did because... well, I don't really have a good reason or defense, things just did. Bans from entire cities should not be able to happen because of something something hearsay, or because "I don't like you."

Quote:
Better to RP your way back in imho. And even if you don't know why you were banned you can still RP your way back in. Send flowers, offer services, camp outside the main gates... I've been known to send a tell asking if the character might be found elsewhere at some point so my character can catch them.

What I do know is badgering other players usually leads to being ignored. Hence I go and find something else to do for a bit then come back. Food for thought.

As a DM, I can tell you straight up people were simply ignored, and often on OOC grounds. Stalling occurred for weeks, months, before players gave up because they could "take the hint". You can't RP your way back in when your ban was on OOC grounds just to get rid of you so they don't need to "deal with you anymore." At that point it's OOC playstyles clashing, again, as admitted by several players in this topic. They're bored with you, so they're exercising their authority to get rid of you IC, using an IC ignorator to not have to see any of your content or any of your posts anymore. You no longer exist in their section of the server and can't, because it's metagaming if they try to, and with only 5 busy DMs, trying to track down a DM to do RP based on that area is a crapshoot, on top of a laundry list of other issues. It becomes known that it's not worth the time, so people quit, or worse, roll a new character that's not going to get banned.

That's not good, not healthy for the server. What the vastly popular, vastly widespread player personalities in this topic are missing is that you are all essentially a hivemind now. All you need to do is roll a character and every other player who likes you is inclined to act positively towards you. This is a trend that is super easy t spot,, and again, one that I know is noted by the DM team due to regular conversations on the subject. Note that I didn't say "RP becoming friends with your PC." I said "react positively" to you. Those are very different things - one is motivated by IC, one is motivated by OOC. I saw how all of you interacted as a DM, and now I see how all of you act as players, when that influence is no longer there. Ladies and gentlemen: It is night and day.

Very well said. Kohl being a theocratic autocracy means it gets a little leeway, but still, the issues remain. No notification, no rp, no way to atone or resolve, if you even know.

And it's really not realistic to just throw someone's name onto a list and then never have them come around. But due to the lack of dms and them frankly having better things to do then watch someone stroll through kohl in alter self, tossing a name and a group onto a list is exile. And as Jes stated, some people do it just because they are jerka or don't want to RP with you.

It's time to put it to rest. Bans only for real crime. In the settlements in question.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:26 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Tarnus wrote:
Righto, this shitting on other players ends here or this thread gets closed and the title gets an ironic meaning. That goes especially towards you Akhlys.

He's right though. In my time back, and especially as a DM, culture towards banning has changed.

i will not tolerate this behavior Tormak. And I will make this utterly clear that I do not accept ANY support of this behavior from ANYONE, no matter who they are. One more reference to this and this thread is going to get locked. This kind of stuff is why our serverculture is so incredibly bad.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:32 PM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
TormakSaber wrote:
Tarnus wrote:

He's right though. In my time back, and especially as a DM, culture towards banning has changed.

i will not tolerate this behavior Tormak. And I will make this utterly clear that I do not accept ANY support of this behavior from ANYONE, no matter who they are. One more reference to this and this thread is going to get locked. This kind of stuff is why our serverculture is so incredibly bad.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:33 PM 

Player

Bye. (this thread is getting a couple hours of pause)

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 20 2016, 22:09 PM 

Player

I’m reopening this thread now. This is with the understanding that the discussion will stay on topic and free from profanities and/or attacks on others. You are free to voice your opinions and criticism on the system and it will be taken into consideration, but abuse towards others will not be tolerated in any way.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:03 AM 

Player

All right, here are what I see are the current problems;

1. No communication
2. No listed duration
3. Done without any involvement from the PC's actually banned (no chance to explain/defend)
4. Bans applied to an entire faction... without any communication to individuals who are having to find out on their own, and who are then asking ooc if they count and are banned because they just hang out sometimes... leading me to;
5. Zero clarification and consistency. Does a kohl ban mean just inside the city or anywhere Silver Dragons are present? Depends on which PC you ask. Can we use lamps or the cart service? Depends on which PC you ask.

Here is what I propose as a solution.

1. Bans should be temporary at first (a week for minor, a month for major as an example) and players should be given a chance to rectify their behavior.
2. Bans should be clearly communicated to all parties, and so should the reason; players should always know why.
3. Faction bans (banning a faction) are a no-go except for sanctioned (run past/approved by the DM team and participating players so they have an 'out' if they don't like it) conflict like officially declaring war as a faction.
4. Ban lists should be better maintained on the forum.
5. If you have a faction area (ex Kohl Keep, the Fort) none of the above rules apply, except for clear communication, when it applies to that faction area specifically.
6. If you ban someone you need to give them channels to communicate assuming those channels arn't just used for further IC harassment.

And lastly;

Jes wrote:
Furthermore, why should they spell it out for you IC? If they don't like you IC and feel that you are deserving of such a ban, they can be jerks (or just uncaring of your feelings) IC without people jumping on the players OOC because they think they're also being jerks.

PassionateShadow wrote:
There needs to be a line drawn some where down the line. There need to be ways people can get a break from having uncouth shoved in their faces. Maybe people aren't interested in playing with that type of evil? You may sit on the out side and wonder why? It's not because people don't want to be challenged. It's be cause they don't enjoy the particular style you are bringing to the table or feel like they've been there done that and that there's nothing particularly new or interesting being brought forth.

Things like this are not grounds for a city ban. This is not what a city ban is used for.

If you don't like someone because they are a jerk, bar them from your player house or player faction zone, and then go there. The same things you have to do in real life when someone isn't breaking any rules but you don't like them. If nobody follows you out of the bar when you get up to go, well... that's RP too.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:15 AM 

Player

^^ above post edited

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Estara

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:17 AM 

Player

Some of those problems I specifically answered to and you actually just went in a circle with your responses. All the items in your list are not factually a problem in every situation, hence I do not think the playerbase as a whole agrees with you. I certainly don't. Until you start to attempt to compromise your own side, this conversation seems fruitless. I am willing to agree to temporary bans before permanent bans and making sure there is more oversight with how people are alerted to bans.

Otherwise, no. Sorry, Commie.

Also, Tormak, get a hold of yourself. You're better than that.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:19 AM 

Player

Don't preach at me when I didn't cause the issue.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:26 AM 

Player

Guys please? Tormak wasn't the issue here, even if I disagree with the beginning of his post, he made some good points. Please stay on topic.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:26 AM 

Player

Estara wrote:
Some of those problems I specifically answered to and you actually just went in a circle with your responses. All the items in your list are not factually a problem in every situation, hence I do not think the playerbase as a whole agrees with you. I certainly don't. Until you start to attempt to compromise your own side, this conversation seems fruitless. I am willing to agree to temporary bans before permanent bans and making sure there is more oversight with how people are alerted to bans.

Otherwise, no. Sorry, Commie.

Also, Tormak, get a hold of yourself. You're better than that.

I am confused, what exactly is the compromise you are looking for?

I want temp bans before perma bans, DM oversight, and proper notification. We seem to agree. What else is there? The other points, that city bans should be used less liberally, are actually the truth;

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Now, city bans, should of course not be willy nilly like "guard X doesn't like your nose". Ideally city bans should also be reviewed by a DM as the key rule organism of a city is usually still DM controlled. (I exclude factions here, naturally)

So what are you asking me to compromise on?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Estara

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:34 AM 

Player

People notifying you right away, people having to tell you exactly what you did, people having to give an exact duration (temp bans don't have to be exactly 5 days or exactly 10 or whatever, they can just be not permanent), people having to give you this "chance" or whatever you think you deserve, people having to obey your banlist, people having something against you and your group all specifically and rumormongering around it, people not being able to ban factions if they want

... and that's just some of the other things you want to claim have to be part of this whole change. Remember?!

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 0:48 AM 

Player

Estara wrote:
People notifying you right away, people having to tell you exactly what you did, people having to give an exact duration (temp bans don't have to be exactly 5 days or exactly 10 or whatever, they can just be not permanent), people having to give you this "chance" or whatever you think you deserve, people having to obey your banlist, people having something against you and your group all specifically and rumormongering around it, people not being able to ban factions if they want

... and that's just some of the other things you want to claim have to be part of this whole change. Remember?!

Ok, point by point.

Well, knowing what you did is important I believe as it prevents bad bans, and I firmly believe that if you're charged with a crime you should be informed of those charges. I don't think this is really out of the question; if you did bad, explain what you did.

Temp bans should have a duration listed so you actually know it's a temp ban and not just forever. "Until the war ends and you are no longer allied with our enemies" would be a stellar argument for a ban, as it would also encourage RP once those conditions are true to undo the ban.

The change from automatic permabans to temp bans is the 'second chance.' So we are actually in agreement there.

People do have to obey banlists, it's a server rule.

Faction ban is a tricky one, because a faction is a diverse group of people. That's why faction bans should not be allowed unless there is good cause to toss the whole faction. Banning all Baneites is fair if the Baneites are actively, as a faction (DM arbitrated), fucking with you. Banning a group like the Fogwood despite no faction hostility what-so-ever is a bad ban and a ban call, as the faction has done nothing. Was war declared? Ban. Did they blockade your port? Ban. Did one guy in the group break a city law? Don't ban the group.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Jes

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:00 AM 

DM

Jes wrote:
Furthermore, why should they spell it out for you IC? If they don't like you IC and feel that you are deserving of such a ban, they can be jerks (or just uncaring of your feelings) IC without people jumping on the players OOC because they think they're also being jerks.

Commie, you keep quoting this and completely missing what I actually said. I didn't say that that's the reason they banned you. I said that they shouldn't be IC'ly required to be nice and spell out the "why". If a character doesn't like your character, IC'ly, the character can be a jerk and not explain it to your character after the fact. I didn't say it was okay for a character to ban another character just because they're a jerk and don't like you. I am absolutely against that, in fact, and shame on the people who do that.

I was only talking about IC attitudes and how it should not be enforced that a character who hates x evil person has to go out of his way to spell out "why" point by point to your character's satisfaction. IC.

And that players should not take that IC refusal to be nice as that other player being a jerk.

Please understand that.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:06 AM 

Player

Jes wrote:
Jes wrote:

Commie, you keep quoting this and completely missing what I actually said. I didn't say that that's the reason they banned you. I said that they shouldn't be IC'ly required to be nice and spell out the "why". If a character doesn't like your character, IC'ly, the character can be a jerk and not explain it to your character after the fact. I didn't say it was okay for a character to ban another character just because they're a jerk and don't like you. I am absolutely against that, in fact, and shame on the people who do that.

I was only talking about IC attitudes and how it should not be enforced that a character who hates x evil person has to go out of his way to spell out "why" point by point to your character's satisfaction. IC.

And that players should not take that IC refusal to be nice as that other player being a jerk.

Please understand that.

Thank you for clarifying, but we do disagree here.

If they don't want to explain why, face to face, that's totally ok. But a PM should be sent soon-ish (as soon as heads cool down) explaining length and cause.

It's really the key here; knowing what you did to get banned. If you don't want to say it to their face, fine, but people really deserve to know what they are being punished for, ic and ooc.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Estara

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:15 AM 

Player

Commie, you are literally proving my point. Throwing out "should"s and "would"s and "right"s. I've said it like five times now. That's what I think you need to compromise on, in order to really get taken seriously. I do not agree with anything you listed after these: the idea of temp bans before permanent bans, notifying people (without your aggressive DO IT NOW attitude) and being more considerate with how the bans are applied (can someone use carts, etc).

The rest? I could take it or leave it, for now. Until you understand that it's not black and white, it's not your word that is correct and the banning system is not more perfect under your reign. Oh, also, I meant the banlist as your banlist. >.> The one you said everyone should have to follow. Your layout, because it's perfect. Which is just plain silly. I actually really like your banlist setup. But your desire to force others to follow it makes it much more annoying.

Jes

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:19 AM 

DM

I definitely agree that players should be informed OOC of all aspects of their character's ban. My only contention is forcing it IC. It's bad form IC, but absolutely IC for some characters. In itself, it is an aspect of conflict RP. Just recently my character was ready to slap some fools for refusing to tell someone who was banned why they were banned. "You know why" is not a suitable answer, to my character.

I draw the line at OOC forcing people to change how they RP. The OOC notification is fine. But don't make people change how they RP just because the character is a jerk. Pitt stirring the pot IC was a great response to that, for example. It made my character push for change and a more direct and clear reasoning. It was great to be able to approach that from my character's vastly different perspective.

Just as a recent example.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:22 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Ok, so if the bans are going to be overturned and limited then how do we keep characters from

A) Doing the same thing again... and again... and again.... etc
B) Turning around and seeking revenge for the alternate to the ban (jail time, lashes, etc)

Cause I can just see the 'You dis'd me - I dis you' train comin down the tracks.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:25 AM 

Player

Well I'm going to try and throw in my two cents on the topic.

There's a few ways to go about bans, that both are legitimate but can reflect the mindset of a city or place & these are examples of things that actually happened.

Kohl: Strongly opposed evil, most "naturally" evil races are banned as are factions. Hence, they banned Banites fairly early.

Tarkuul: Banites kept dragging people to the cells against their wishes for torture or questioning & ignoring the authority of the guard. This violated the third and fifth law and so the player guards got the Banites banned for a time. (I'm pretty sure the case should still be in the Tark guard subforum, assuming it still has one)

In both cases, the cities banned a faction. However the method was very different, as were the reasons. IMHO both are equally legitimate reasons for the cities to ban a group or organization & every city does it differently because their values are different.

What I DO agree with however, Is that each and every ban from a city or place done by a player should be run by a DM first.
The why: Because as much power as players might hold in a city, it's usually not entirely run by players (and in the cases where a place is, let the players ban to their hearts content and live with whatever consequences might come of that.. such as having nobody in there for instance) and it makes sense for people to have to run such things by someone that spesifically handles it in the city.
This also means that every ban gets evaluated from a perspective that's aligned with whatever morals or views the city might have (in the NPC the DM uses to authorize or deny the ban) & it gets an OOC component where the DM evaluates the appropriate ban duration or severity based on the actions and/or evidence present.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:30 AM 

Player

Jes wrote:
I definitely agree that players should be informed OOC of all aspects of their character's ban. My only contention is forcing it IC. It's bad form IC, but absolutely IC for some characters. In itself, it is an aspect of conflict RP. Just recently my character was ready to slap some fools for refusing to tell someone who was banned why they were banned. "You know why" is not a suitable answer, to my character.

I draw the line at OOC forcing people to change how they RP. The OOC notification is fine. But don't make people change how they RP just because the character is a jerk. Pitt stirring the pot IC was a great response to that, for example. It made my character push for change and a more direct and clear reasoning. It was great to be able to approach that from my character's vastly different perspective.

Just as a recent example.

Well remember, the city bans should be coming from a DM NPC as cities and towns are run by NPC's. That person should be the one with the baggage of telling you how you done fucked up, that way nobody is being forced to do anything, aside from the DM's, whom should be overseeing city-bans anyway.

So I guess we're in agreement?

MazeOfThorns wrote:
Ok, so if the bans are going to be overturned and limited then how do we keep characters from

A) Doing the same thing again... and again... and again.... etc
B) Turning around and seeking revenge for the alternate to the ban (jail time, lashes, etc)

Cause I can just see the 'You dis'd me - I dis you' train comin down the tracks.

Well for starters if they fuck up twice and it's the same shit escalate the punishment. If someone is utterly unrepentant don't take them off the banlist. Ex, some guy summons skeletons in the Town Hall in Kohl. He gets arrested. As he's being dragged away he spends his energy screaming about how his only wish was that he had more time to make more skeletons. In those cases where it's clear that's just what that person does, keep them gone until they change their tune. A non permanent ban doesn't have to be a timer, just a 'once you fix yo shit u can come bak ok fam?'

As for B, interact and stop them from doing it?

But yeah, DM oversight and proper notification would really fix basically all the issues.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:43 AM 

Player

The hard liners that are currently playing evil appear to be the most upset by the bans at the moment.

We haven't really had problems with enforcing bans; you just sort of deal with it.

The more this thread goes on it seems like people don't want to deal with the one harsh punitive measure there is or lighten it up.

It's a ban. It happens In Character- It should be handled in character. The very fact that there's an out of character thread about this is pretty bad. If there's a communicative issue, dms can and should set aside a few hours aside each week and respond to banning issues if players have not or are not of the correct authoritative level. Life's not fair sometime people are going to treat you like shit. Why should the game be any different? What if the pc's/npcs are corrupt and want to keep you out specifically to keep you out of mucking up their plans? So far this thread has only stirred OOC contention and showing that evil pc players are trying to push their own view to the only solution.

The current dm team has more than likely seen this thread and I'm certain they may have, or will discuss/ed this topic. If the lines of bans and how they are to be done need to be worked on I'm certain the current team will come up with a viable solution for a more even compromise all around. Continuing to argue the same points over and over isn't really adding on to anything as both sides seem to think the other can't see things form their perspectives.

As for Commie, yes I agree. I've always viewed bans to be dependent on crimes, but a good method I've found to be fair is to issue a fine and a day ban [typically nothing exceedingly big] if the fine isn't paid they aren't permitted back until after the initial time is paid and the fine is paid along with a promise to not repeat said actions else harsher punitive measures would be levied.

This allowed the banned pcs to choose when they want to rectify such a matter and initiate rp towards that. It gives the folks who were offended by the crime a small break form the pc. And it offers a chance to try again once things have been altered over / fixed. This only works if the pc's in charge are willing to rp. This also only works if the situation deems they should be allowed with in.

I'm all for letting them have other chances but it should be done with roleplay and in character.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 5:04 AM 

Player

I think the problem being discussed are bans purely based on OOC contempt as opposed to IC reason.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 5:25 AM 

Player

There's like 4-5 different arguments going on in this thread, to be expected of a 172 reply in 2 days topic though.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 21 2016, 12:06 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
The hard liners that are currently playing evil appear to be the most upset by the bans at the moment.

We haven't really had problems with enforcing bans; you just sort of deal with it.

The more this thread goes on it seems like people don't want to deal with the one harsh punitive measure there is or lighten it up.

It's a ban. It happens In Character- It should be handled in character. The very fact that there's an out of character thread about this is pretty bad. If there's a communicative issue, dms can and should set aside a few hours aside each week and respond to banning issues if players have not or are not of the correct authoritative level. Life's not fair sometime people are going to treat you like shit. Why should the game be any different? What if the pc's/npcs are corrupt and want to keep you out specifically to keep you out of mucking up their plans? So far this thread has only stirred OOC contention and showing that evil pc players are trying to push their own view to the only solution.

The current dm team has more than likely seen this thread and I'm certain they may have, or will discuss/ed this topic. If the lines of bans and how they are to be done need to be worked on I'm certain the current team will come up with a viable solution for a more even compromise all around. Continuing to argue the same points over and over isn't really adding on to anything as both sides seem to think the other can't see things form their perspectives.

As for Commie, yes I agree. I've always viewed bans to be dependent on crimes, but a good method I've found to be fair is to issue a fine and a day ban [typically nothing exceedingly big] if the fine isn't paid they aren't permitted back until after the initial time is paid and the fine is paid along with a promise to not repeat said actions else harsher punitive measures would be levied.

This allowed the banned pcs to choose when they want to rectify such a matter and initiate rp towards that. It gives the folks who were offended by the crime a small break form the pc. And it offers a chance to try again once things have been altered over / fixed. This only works if the pc's in charge are willing to rp. This also only works if the situation deems they should be allowed with in.

I'm all for letting them have other chances but it should be done with roleplay and in character.

I have taken it to the forums because I feel like the way bans work and are treated on the server at the moment have made the server favor certain types of characters and playstyles. There might be other reasons that I am feeling this as well, but the first thing I could put my finger on was bans. It is a shame, because I think the quality of the server as a whole suffers from it.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 22 2016, 0:40 AM 

Player

And the way bans are used have definitely become an issue when relatively new players finds them discouraging. It's evidence in and of itself that maybe a change is in place.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:14 AM 

Player

Fire

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 21:41 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
man the banites didn't even ban anyone from wharftown when they TOOK OVER wharftown.

Terallis wrote:
SamTheGiantSlayer wrote:
Lyelanna - Presumably a female elf; sounds like a tough, burly broad.

Due to the acts of assault, disobeying members of the militia, as well as threatening members of the militia, among other things, this ban has been made permanent with no chance for appeal in the future.

as far as I can tell this was a fight nobody even is sure who started.

BANNED FOREVER. NO APPEAL.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:28 PM 

Player

Here's my take on this..and I may be missing some things because to be honest, this thing went in circles several times. People again, are taking things way too seriously on both sides and some of this reeks, literally oozes with ooc contempt. The result being harsher bans than usual. Why in God's green earth would someone be banned from a city for one case of assault, or sneaking? I understand if you have solid evidence pointing to a long history of murderous behavior, but commiting petty crimes or disagreeing with a PC (We'll use Rane for example, because I know Maze will agree he tends to be an uneven asshole, quite intentionally) guard is a bit rediculous. Now. I'm not saying you can't do this. You sure as hell can. Ban all the people you want. Go ban happy. Consider however, how this would be viewed in reality. A place like Wharftown, essentially under martial law. IC silliness doesn't bother me. What is irritating is some of the sentiment that people can't be bothered to explain something like this OOC. Are you serious? It's a game. You could murder the shit out of my character and I'd smack your ass and give you a good game. Why does a simple conversation become an issue? "Oh, hey man. You are banned because of X." "Yeah you'll have to RP your way back in." That's how adults communicate .

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:33 PM 

Player

whatftown is a theocratic military outpost. giant palisades surround it and enormous man-sized ballistias guard the port of a city that seems to have more guards then citizens. it's not a village, its an outpost.

that's the only reason i can think of that 'banned-for-life' is the go-to punishment. it's literal martial law there with no oversight.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:43 PM 

Player

Commie. All the towns have more guards than citizens. It's just how the module was designed. Most "citizens" should be notional...unless towns really consist of five people, thirteen vendors and thirty or so guards. In which case, I stand corrected and my mind is blown. My point was that people are making this into an issue. It shouldn't be. Some simple, normal conversations should cover any issues, rather than bitching about it indirectly on a thread. It's passive agressive nonsense and the whole topic is now bait, because without addressing things one on one people are forum sniping people third party. It's contradictory to progress and if anything comes out of this, a private message indicating why a PC was banned sent to the player and forwarded to a dm, just to avoid confusion as well as have some oversight for rediculousness. IC'ly speaking. If you are going to ban people for assault, you may as well shut down all the taverns.

*If you always punish conflict, then you will no longer have conflict. That's winning in the real world, but boring as shit on Amia. Consider these antagonists are also there for your enjoyment as well.*

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Last edited by thunderbrush on Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:47 PM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
if anything comes out of this, a private message indicating why a PC was banned sent to the player and forwarded to a dm, just to avoid confusion as well as have some oversight for rediculousness. IC'ly speaking. If you are going to ban people for assault, you may as well shut down all the taverns.

it's still not happening as far as I can tell. no pm's sent.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 05 2017, 23:49 PM 

Player

Moved this over here from... another thread? To avoid adding to a fire. So I just came over to this here infernal tornado!
RaveN wrote:
IMHO, the whole concept of banning to begin with is rather silly.

In my view, creating all of these safe havens like Kohlingen and Wharftown, etc, seems really short sighted, clique building, segregating the playerbase by alignment, and anti-social in a game that's designed to bring players together to RP and potentially have tension between people (NOT NECCESSARILY PVP).

What else is going on? Is everyone just playing through their own story line, in such a way that other players are just not meant to intertwine ever?

Completely agree with you. I don't know who started it but the clique mindest of Amia is completely bonkers to me. I love it, but I also hate it. It's very unique and makes instant families. I've heard that in the past it made sense because there were just TOO many players, but now it seems to just shackle RP, but the culture is so strong I'm not sure it'll ever change. I DO see some PCs able to move through groups but it's just not enough to foster diverse RP.

The most exciting and fun things I've been a part of were cross-faction or cross-group RP. I'd argue that when done, it's even better on Amia, BECAUSE of that bitter Team identity and cliquiness here- the animosity and tension is palpable!

Yes. That is exactly what everyone is doing, pretty much. That's the way Amia is and one of the things that makes it great. You can take your own PC very far. I watch many people take their characters far but... who knows how much fun they're having when they do it mostly alone.

Takes a very capable and attractive roleplayer to weasel into someone's story line. On the plus side, the groups make for very close connections and deeper roleplay I find... On the downside, it leaves others in the dust, and once people start leaving, you're left with no one to play with.

That being said, I've always admired Audrey from afar, I'll RP with you and yours any time.

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 0:48 AM 

Developer

Ozzy got banned from San Antonio for life for peeing on the Alamo. We're not talking about a major crime; the total fine was $40. They only lifted the ban 10 years later after he made a hefty donation to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. That's a ban for life over peeing on a cenotaph. Yes, the Alamo is a sacred site to true Texans but it's not like he actually harmed another living person. A group of officials simply decided the man was not to be allowed inside their city.

One may also wonder why someone is so hellbent on getting into a place where they obviously aren't wanted unless it's to cause trouble. When I was playing a character that was banned from a place but she wanted to speak to those in charge the character didn't demand they let her in but rather waited outside after sending them word of her intent. And then she waited. Then she waited more. She parked out there for days until they came out to talk and found out what the hell she wanted. She knew why she was banned and why they didn't want her there and she didn't press the issue. If she didn't know why she was banned I'd like to think she'd have had the common sense to tell them they could take their city and their ban and stick them in their ear if they wouldn't hear out her story.

If you are in faction A which is banned from the city of faction B you don't have to hem and haw and piss and moan here. There are plenty of neutral cities where you can meet and talk over anything you like. You have to realize that other players and their groups have a right to refusal and you cannot force them to accept anyone. This only becomes a problem if the player himself is banned from playing with a certain group or visiting certain areas. Kohlingen doesn't want Bob Bobberson the tiefer blackguard to visit? Fine. If they ban Carl Carlsen the paladin of Tyr that is played by the same player they then need to have a damned good reason.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Akhlys

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:08 AM 

Player

peeing on a sacred site is different than telling a guard to fuck himself
the later might turn a warning into a ticket but you sure as fuck arent getting exiled because of it
same with fighting, dont know a lot of examples of people getting banned from cities for getting drunk and throwing hands
the problem with banning isnt that it is done, its that its the immediate reaction, can be done by a single PC for whatever reason they want, and remains a non mechanically enforced OOC restriction as long as a name is saved on a forum post

unless someone is kidnapping and sacrificing your citizens or lighting your monuments on fire, theres no reason to ban them
start out with a fine, then jail time (cock blocking a characters freedom for 24 hours is actually kinda rough if you had something planned), then hard labor or a quest or something rather then just saying "no, cant interact with me unless on my terms"

if youre the one jn a position of power (the guard) you should be trying to make a story line instead of just saying "i want to win, stop annoying me"

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:11 AM 

Player

ucfgoose wrote:
Ozzy got banned from San Antonio for life for peeing on the Alamo. We're not talking about a major crime; the total fine was $40. They only lifted the ban 10 years later after he made a hefty donation to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. That's a ban for life over peeing on a cenotaph.

it's also noteworthy for being an extraordinary example of an exile.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:40 AM 

Developer

My patience is very short today so I'm going to get a bit snippy here.

Kohlengen doesn't like Pitt or Bri or the entire settlement of theirs. Such is life. Deal with it. If you want to play with those people try being someone that doesn't make them so angry. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Why would Pitt be so upset about not being allowed into a place that he really doesn't jibe with unless it's to cause trouble?

Why are you so bent on belaboring the point when it's obvious that the people that run the place don't want that character around for whatever reason?

One of two things is going to happen here if you keep up the harangue; either a DM is going to take over and say that they have to let Pitt in and it's going to piss off all the players that worked in character to keep him out or you're just going to stir up bad feelings amongst the players with the constant carping about it. For the sake of sanity and goodwill would you please quit belaboring the point?

Gribbo

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:00 AM 

Player

ucfgoose wrote:

Kohlengen doesn't like Pitt or Bri or the entire settlement of theirs. Such is life. Deal with it. If you want to play with those people try being someone that doesn't make them so angry. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Why would Pitt be so upset about not being allowed into a place that he really doesn't jibe with unless it's to cause trouble?

Why are you so bent on belaboring the point when it's obvious that the people that run the place don't want that character around for whatever reason?

One of two things is going to happen here if you keep up the harangue; either a DM is going to take over and say that they have to let Pitt in and it's going to piss off all the players that worked in character to keep him out or you're just going to stir up bad feelings amongst the players with the constant carping about it. For the sake of sanity and goodwill would you please quit belaboring the point?

what?

I've never had a problem with bri being banned from kohl or any one in the fort being banned there, nor have I ever made an effort to contest it.

I play a tiefling and I'm ok with being banned from a city of the traid.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:09 AM 

Player

No one argued Kohl's banning system, save for a lack of notification and upkeep and enforcement. Of every city in the module they make the most sense to ban people and always have.

It's about a general trend to jump to permanent no appeal bans as ways to remove elements that they dislike OOCly, without communication IC or OOC, and sometimes without even upkeeping a banlist, timestamps, or anything like that. This is a sentiment that was even expressed in this very topic.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:12 AM 

Player

ucfgoose wrote:

The WT bans are what's being used as an example because they are

A. A current event

B. Totally unwarranted

C. Centered around a travel hub with no alternate route so you have to go to the town anyway

D. "Ban has been made permanent with no chance for appeal in the future" over an extremely minor crime (Some kind of bar-room tussle in a port town). So it's uncontestable in some situations.

It's essentially the perfect storm of everything that's wrong with the ban system. That's why it's being used as an example. Additionally resolution steps have been listed by players, and they are ignored; no ooc warnings are going out and the Kohl ban list post has not been visibly edited or posted in since 2014 yet im on it, so there's still a complete lack of player notification and no system in place to actually tell people.

Quote:
Here are what I see are the current problems;

1. No communication
2. No listed duration
3. Done without any involvement from the PC's actually banned (no chance to explain/defend)
4. Bans applied to an entire faction... without any communication to individuals who are having to find out on their own, and who are then asking ooc if they count and are banned because they just hang out sometimes... leading me to;
5. Zero clarification and consistency. Does a kohl ban mean just inside the city or anywhere Silver Dragons are present? Depends on which PC you ask. Can we use lamps or the cart service? Depends on which PC you ask.

Here is what I propose as a solution.

1. Bans should be temporary at first (a week for minor, a month for major as an example) and players should be given a chance to rectify their behavior.
2. Bans should be clearly communicated to all parties, and so should the reason; players should always know why.
3. Faction bans (banning a faction) are a no-go except for sanctioned (run past/approved by the DM team and participating players so they have an 'out' if they don't like it) conflict like officially declaring war as a faction.
4. Ban lists should be better maintained on the forum.
5. If you have a faction area (ex Kohl Keep, the Fort) none of the above rules apply, except for clear communication, when it applies to that faction area specifically.
6. If you ban someone you need to give them channels to communicate assuming those channels aren't just used for further IC harassment.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:17 AM 

Player

My two cents (personal and not official DM team opinion)

Well...I have done the warning, the fine, the jail time, the banning even execution a billion times during my time on Amia. Among all those cases from 2008 until now I can only list 1 character who ever bothered to RP some that brief jail time had some impact on his character.

The RP culture has two sides. I am happy to bring people to justice, fine them or everything. But if they return within 24 hours and do it again and again and again, then it gets annoying. So far banning is the only punishment that can have some serious impact on a character, nothing else.

If you present me an alternative or tell me how the RP culture should change on both sides then I will be happy to listen. Until then I will not change IC decisions because something is OOCly inconvenient.

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:18 AM 

Developer

Nah, Gribbo. You're never complained about it. I wasn't griping at you. And it's not about the Commie himself as one of his other characters has been there that I've seen and had no problem. But for crying out loud this thread sat dormant for two weeks before it had to get dredged up yet again. It's been a big circlejerk and nothing is getting done except to stir up bad feelings.

I, for one, think we have had plenty of input here. DMs have seen this and commented on it. They are aware of how people feel and it's up to the DM team to address it. If anybody has further problems beyond what's been said here take it up with the DMs directly instead of ripping the scab off here. Some people are into S&M, necrophilia, and bestiality but I really could deal without having to see someone beat this dead horse in front of the entire player base.

If you have further problems I would suggest addressing it with the DMs directly and let this post rest in peace.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:22 AM 

Player

ucfgoose wrote:
But for crying out loud this thread sat dormant for two weeks before it had to get dredged up yet again. It's been a big circlejerk and nothing is getting done except to stir up bad feelings.

It's not a circlejerk, the problems persist.

Lutra wrote:

Well...I have done the warning, the fine, the jail time, the banning even execution a billion times during my time on Amia. Among all those cases from 2008 until now I can only list 1 character who ever bothered to RP some that brief jail time had some impact on his character.

The RP culture has two sides. I am happy to bring people to justice, fine them or everything. But if they return within 24 hours and do it again and again and again, then it gets annoying. So far banning is the only punishment that can have some serious impact on a character, nothing else.

If you present me an alternative or tell me how the RP culture should change on both sides then I will be happy to listen. Until then I will not change IC decisions because something is OOCly inconvenient.

Start with a short ban, such as a week, or an official warning IC (along with some purple text indicating it's actually a warning) if the issue is minor (stop doing X). If that warning is ignored, go to permanent.

But we are seeing 0 to ban as a first impulse, and still no notifications, over things that arn't banworthy.

Again, this doesn't apply to faction areas, just actual cities.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:23 AM 

Player

^^ post was updated

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:27 AM 

Player

Or what I've seen Amarice do; Ban till reset for people getting in fights/being disruptive.

Because that's usually enough cool-down time.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:41 AM 

Player

Well..that only offered an alternative for one side. Not for both sides.

There is a difference between temp and permanent ban in an IC standpoint

- You usually get temporary ban if you committed a crime as per penal law (thievery in Kohlingen for example 1 week).
- You are getting permanently banned because you are posing as threat to the settlement or broke penal laws repeatedly. In both cases you are a threat to national security in modern terminology. Of course more radical steps will be made towards your characters.

Two things are different. See the aforementioned example that you presented. If the same offenses had been done in other settlements repeatedly then the settlement in question might as well act accordingly and consider the individual in question a deviant who is literally incapable understanding the concept of law. If a person is deemed a deviant then nobody will like that.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:54 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
Well..that only offered an alternative for one side. Not for both sides.

There is a difference between temp and permanent ban in an IC standpoint

- You usually get temporary ban if you committed a crime as per penal law (thievery in Kohlingen for example 1 week).
- You are getting permanently banned because you are posing as threat to the settlement or broke penal laws repeatedly. In both cases you are a threat to national security in modern terminology. Of course more radical steps will be made towards your characters.

Two things are different. See the aforementioned example that you presented. If the same offenses had been done in other settlements repeatedly then the settlement in question might as well act accordingly and consider the individual in question a deviant who is literally incapable understanding the concept of law. If a person is deemed a deviant then nobody will like that.

But again we're at a point where anything gets you axed outright. Lots of these don't even follow protocol or allow any type of contest from the PC's side. That's the problem.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:55 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:

I mean I as a DM saw the RP dozens of times, so.. it was there. I assure you.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 3:04 AM 

Player

that's the other issue; if someone is 'a deviant' who is 'literally incapable understanding the concept of law' then a ban from a city with no gates and portals/carts inside the town makes 0 sense at all. the person would just use the transit anyway, but can't do so within the rules unless a dm is on, ok with it, supervising, and willing to allow it (not always the case).

so it breaks what it's made to uphold.

the major cities like kohl or cordor? sure i can see them with a 'natural security' list. smaller settlements? no, makes no sense, not unless there was actual crimes being done. not when the guards are substantially weaker then pc's, and the guards know it.

edit; it's like a sign that says 'no rule breakers allowed!' except it works for a totally artificial reason.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 3:17 AM 

Player

we could also just do what they do in the dale outside the walls;

handle it ic. if someone is there you don't like remove them.

works just fine in the dale, and has for months.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next