View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 13:42 PM 

Player

Since I started playing on Amia there has always been this go to punishment in game, which is bans. It has been such a normal punishment to hand out that the last years I have played, I have barely seen other punishments been used for a long time.

Some years ago handing out bans might have been a good thing. There were more players, that came to Amia with different intentions, some bad and some good. Back then bans were a good way to mark the people who came to Amia to troll and ruin peoples fun. Today however we are far fewer players and characters and banning someone means excluding someone, or at least someones character (which is a huge blow to players who prefer playing 1 or 2 characters).

To continue to use bans has become unhealthy for the server. It removes conflict where, in my opinion, it is sorely needed. It isn't the trolls that are banned anymore, but the characters that create conflict or upset the status quo. To use bans is to destroy the potential of any player driven story as you remove the possible antagonists to your character.

Conflict is the root in any story, and to that extent it is the corner stone in rp. Without conflict we aren't roleplaying, but socializing in a fantasy world with fantasy avatars. By removing the villainous or upsetting characters you remove the opportunity of your own characters growing.

I think it is well due to find more original ways to punish people In Game. Many of the playerbase are owners, or take part in factions. Would these people not punish those that have slighted them rather than removing them from their town? while banning people sure makes a statement, it does little to evolve the story but to exclude your town and character from it.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 14:20 PM 

Player

Just for clarification, are you talking about being banned from a city IC or an OOC ban? It's a bit unclear.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 14:42 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Just for clarification, are you talking about being banned from a city IC or an OOC ban? It's a bit unclear.

IC bans.

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 14:49 PM 

Player

IC bans normally have a lot of strong reasoning.

Instead of trying to remove IC bans for OOC reasons (I.E. Player numbers), why not be the character that works towards the exception? You need to realise some places just aren't going to let some types of people in (Chromatics chilling in Kohlingen? Nah), but at the same time, by investing a character in to helping a certain settlement that may not like you, you can perhaps even lift a ban.

Hell, what's more fun? Being the Black Dragon Disciple who can just freely walk through Bendir Dale or be the Black Dragon Disciple who eventually gains access to the village after earning trust or maybe even corrupting some individuals?

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:00 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Except banning doesn't work. PC's still manage to get past guards and cause havoc... or try to cause havoc. Or spy. Or whatever.

All you really have to do to do it right is get a DM to oversee your escapades.

For those whose character doesn't know they are banned, you (the player) metagame the guards by knowing that your character is banned and assume that the guards will tell you to get the hell away from the gate, city, town etc. For those who have no idea their character is banned... well a PC inside the city will tell you I'm sure. :twisted:

I do like the idea of different forms of punishment. I know I've tried to be creative.

The trick is to come up with things that punish so that the PC stops doing the thing(s) that are causing havoc to the city, town, etc. Sometimes that's tough, especially when the PC keeps finding ways to come back alive after being killed. Then it's just an endless 'How many ways can we kill off this ne'er do well?!' That's gotta get old to everyone involved.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:20 PM 

Player

I'm not sure. When Kohl gives out blanket bans for being in a faction, but not banning the faction, and the faction itself isn't really all that evil, it's weird. *cough* Fort *cough*

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:25 PM 

DM

robbi320 wrote:
isn't really all that evil

robbi320 wrote:
all that evil

robbi320 wrote:
evil

You think paladins in a holy city care about the "level" of evilness? :P

Zealousness is a legitimate IC trait.

Separately, when killing people over and over doesn't do anything, like Maze said, banning is the only real go-to punishment one can enact. At the very least it cuts down on the number of times they have to deal with the same person doing the same thing.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:28 PM 

Developer

robbi320 wrote:
I'm not sure. When Kohl gives out blanket bans for being in a faction, but not banning the faction, and the faction itself isn't really all that evil, it's weird. *cough* Fort *cough*

That doesn't make any sense. If they ban someone for being in the faction it is effectively banning the faction.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:38 PM 

Player

Still, I feel like a ban is pretty jarring in many cases. There are cases where I would have done things with Mezwar in Kohlingen, but due to not simply needing the person I want to RP with, but also a DM, I didn't do it.

Not sure if getting rid of bans is the solution, but maybe make the rules a bit more lax? There are cases where you can not see through a disguise, but you still aren't allowed to enter. I mean, if I wanted to metagame into a city, I could. Examples: One thousand faces, Alter Self spell (with widget)

Just as an example, that already means at least evil spellcasters (Bard, Assassin, Sorc/Wiz) can enter settlemeants at least once. Technically more, unless guards have permatruesight, which afaik, they don't.

Except that the faction isn't banned. But let's just say it as "I'm not a fan of the way Kohl handles bans".

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:39 PM 

Player

Last edited by That Guy on Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:41 PM 

Player

Last edited by That Guy on Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:43 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Also... it takes quite a bit to be banned. It's not just one time actions, it's usually a pattern of events.

No it doesn't. I've gotten permanent bans on characters just for arguing once with guards.

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:44 PM 

DM

The Kohl Ban ListServants, members of the following states and organizations:
    Fort Summer and associated coalition

That looks to me like it encompasses the entire faction. :P

Just because they didn't call it the Barony, or whatever, doesn't mean the whole faction isn't banned. It just means that maybe they don't recognize the legitimacy. Either way, the wording is IC and deliberate.

See me DM-side as:

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:46 PM 

Player

Last edited by That Guy on Tue, Dec 20 2016, 20:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:53 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
ucfgoose wrote:
robbi320 wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. If they ban someone for being in the faction it is effectively banning the faction.

Yup.

Also...

Alternative punishments:
Fine? Right... gold is like water
Jail? We don't want you around... now we should spend 48 hours rping with you?
Death? Hah, right, see you in an hour.
Ban: Yay, we don't have to worry about you being stupid in our town.

There's really no other -enforcable- ban. Yes, even a ban can be worked around with DM help. Sure, that's totally fair in most cases. And, as Kamina said, try working to get that ban lifted? You know.. roleplay?

And... not being a fan of how Kohl handles bans.... IT'S LITERALLY A BASTION OF GOOD. Any hint of evil and you're out. That simple.

It is not about just the punishment, the ban in itself, but also the need people have to punish. From an IC perspective it makes a lot of sense to punish those that have slighted you, but try to look at it from a story perspective. Person A goes into town, he slights someone your character care for so your character sets out after him to deliver punishment. You can go with the mindset that punishment should be handed out, the situation get's resolved and your character can leave and go about with his daily life. OR you can let the punishment be your characters reason to go after him, but with the expectation of the story evolving.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:58 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Shadowfiend wrote:
That Guy wrote:
Also... it takes quite a bit to be banned. It's not just one time actions, it's usually a pattern of events.

No it doesn't. I've gotten permanent bans on characters just for arguing once with guards.

Well... I didn't perform that banning. I can say though that a character's prior actions can lead to a banning that may seem completely random to the character. In other words, your actions in other places might be a cumulative effect and that last argument was the proverbial straw.

That's an environment not very friendly towards antagonistic characters.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 15:58 PM 

Player

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:00 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:

i can say that this is 100% false.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:01 PM 

Player

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:06 PM 

Player

what if you did no ic actions and got banned

like me

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:09 PM 

Player

He is part if a banned faction.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:15 PM 

Player

anyway i just got a premonition that this thread is going to be an absolute mess before it gets locked by tomorrow, so im ducking out here with these final words

any pc with authority can ban anyone for literally any or no reason, and it's the go-to reaction to anything, and the banning party is under zero obligation to tell you ic or ooc that you either that you were banned when you were, or why it happened at all, you need to find out on your own. note that being banned and finding out can take months and these bans will be stood by.

and in the end it doesn't matter, the people banning you for stuff like this (not including bans for literal murder inside the town walls or actual wrongdoings) don't want to play with you, so go play somewhere else. It's easier then contesting a ban, which will just make you look more guilty.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:26 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Shadowfiend wrote:

Well... I didn't perform that banning. I can say though that a character's prior actions can lead to a banning that may seem completely random to the character. In other words, your actions in other places might be a cumulative effect and that last argument was the proverbial straw.

Quote:
That's an environment not very friendly towards antagonistic characters.

Umm, not sure what you're trying to say here. In Kohlingen, those "antagonist characters" are literally criminals in many cases. Why would we encourage criminals to continue their activity? I think you're taking an IC thing and turning it OOC. Bans are IC, but governed by DM's for enforcability. That means you can ICly work to remove it too. It's not exclusivity, it's IC consequences for IC actions, and not enough people are willing to accept that.[/quote]

It's just, I find it hard to believe that IC Kholingen is a perfectly peaceful place where no one acts up, and the citizens are all fine and law abiding people. I am pretty sure that on Amia not just travelers perform crimes but also the NPC's in Kholingen do crimes behind the scenes. A city such as Kholingen should, within my understanding of the setting, be able to deal with criminals in many more ways than banning them. And after all being a criminal don't mean they are evil.

Also, I never mentioned Kholingen specifically in my original post, did I?

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:29 PM 

Player

I'm taking Commie's cue. I don't see this helping.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:38 PM 

Player

last word; a banlist i maintain

viewtopic.php?f=179&t=86733

note that these individuals were contacted to the best of my ability when being added, and anyone can look at the list and know why people are on it or at least who to talk to. the op is also updated and concise.

---

other last question because im getting conflicting information here

the entire faction is banned from WT for 'reasons' but nobody is able to give a consistent answer on weather or not we can use the lamps or cart. unlike bendir, which allows banned people to use the services assuming they leave and you can actually walk around the town if you don't want to go there, WT has no such provision, and getting from the north side to the south side is like 14 transitions.

so can we unobtrusively cut through/tp to the town and just not loiter? it's a huge pain in the ass being banned from a city you can't easily walk around (due to ig constraints not ic constraints because why arn't there more transitions, ic i could just walk outside the walls) and it's a nexus for three areas. some pc's tell me im kill on sight others say unobtrusive strolls to get from one place to another are no issue.

need official word here.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:45 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
The Kohl Ban ListServants, members of the following states and organizations:
    Fort Summer and associated coalition

That looks to me like it encompasses the entire faction. :P

Just because they didn't call it the Barony, or whatever, doesn't mean the whole faction isn't banned. It just means that maybe they don't recognize the legitimacy. Either way, the wording is IC and deliberate.

Ok, just as a quick question: Who is to say this wasn't just added after I asked? There is a reason stuff is timestamped, and Kohl consistently forgets to timestamp and tell people they are banned.
I can say that last time I checked, this wasn't on there. But how can I accurately ask to do anything with the ban (including RPing along with it, or actually staying out of the city) without knowing that, or if, I'm banned?

DM statement:
TormakSaber (was still DM at the time) wrote:
This [OOC ban notifications] should already be happening, and is the fault of the players doing the banning if you do not keep people aware of your public ban lists.

And just sneakily updating a stickied post is not keeping people aware of it. PMs, or listing that you updated, maybe also who you updated literally is maximum 1 minute extra effort, but isn't done. In that way Commie is actually doing it pretty well, and certain other factions are not doing it well.

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:47 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Bans are IC, but governed by DM's for enforcability. That means you can ICly work to remove it too. It's not exclusivity, it's IC consequences for IC actions, and not enough people are willing to accept that.

Please focus on this quote Shadowfiend. If you are banned be it through your own actions (You committed a crime or something) or someone else's (the actions of an aggressive group of people of your same race now have your whole race banned) you must deal with it IC. The only reason you should be dealing with this OOC is if you require a DM to oversee certain RP.

when met"

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 16:48 PM 

Player

The Kohl banlist was updated at least 3 weeks ago. Also, it's a forum thing that you edit a post and it doesn't say when that happened... I'd think timestamps on IC posts are an ooc mechanic personally, but I might be wrong.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:00 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
That Guy wrote:
Bans are IC, but governed by DM's for enforcability. That means you can ICly work to remove it too. It's not exclusivity, it's IC consequences for IC actions, and not enough people are willing to accept that.

Please focus on this quote Shadowfiend. If you are banned be it through your own actions (You committed a crime or something) or someone else's (the actions of an aggressive group of people of your same race now have your whole race banned) you must deal with it IC. The only reason you should be dealing with this OOC is if you require a DM to oversee certain RP.

While it's kinda tangential to this topic, as the discussion kinda loses it's purpose if I start making it about specific bans, but I have experienced to be banned from factions because I ended up in conflicts with characters affiliated with characters from that faction. And yes, I could probably rp my way around the ban, but the initial message seemed pretty clear that my character wasn't wanted. Also it is hard to rp with a faction you are banned from, or to get in proper contact with them without using others.

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:03 PM 

DM

Re: Edit Timestamps

The only time an edit on a post doesn't place that time stamp is when it's the last post in a thread or a DM does it. In this case, obviously, a DM did it (and probably should have made it clear when, through another post). Logs are made of any edits, though, and a DM can verify when that post was updated.

I know we had some discussion about announcements and such, but that discussion was IC. I'd rather not talk about IC stuff more than we already have.

See me DM-side as:

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:04 PM 

Player

Shadowfiend wrote:
While it's kinda tangential to this topic, as the discussion kinda loses it's purpose if I start making it about specific bans, but I have experienced to be banned from factions because I ended up in conflicts with characters affiliated with characters from that faction. And yes, I could probably rp my way around the ban, but the initial message seemed pretty clear that my character wasn't wanted. Also it is hard to rp with a faction you are banned from, or to get in proper contact with them without using others.

While it's hard for me to even make speculation whether or not such bans were aimed at your character (IC) or you as a person (OOC), all I can say is, if you feel it is the latter, then talk to them. If it is the former, then you need to realise other characters function in ways that not only your own character might not understand at times, but maybe yourself.

I do urge, if you feel it is the latter and that the players are simply banning you, or your faction, for OOC reasons then please PM a DM.

when met"

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:15 PM 

Player

"at least" It's a forum thing, yes. And it's an OOC marking. But it also is an OOC rule that my unpierceable Alter Self can't enter that city. It's OOC that people who are banned are alloed into the outer wall of Bendir. It's OOC that you have to give an OOC warning.

Bans are so hugely affected by OOC things that it is difficult to say "that's OOC, let'S not do that" on something relating to them. And that the forum does it? Then you can just look at the time and date, and put a little: "Last updated" there. Or not even time. Or a list that lists the added people. It makes it more clear who is banned. To take my favorite example: Not every person named "Dirk" is banned in Kohl. It is a specific Dirk. I would assume the Longstride kind, but since that isn't listed, I couldn't tell. If I roll a new character called "Dirk Wendel", he is not banned in Kohl. Same goes with Mezwar, a pretty common Chultan name. If a time was added when he was banned, or an OOC PM came, not every person called "Dirk" or "Mezwar" would have to worry he is meant, but you would know "I'm not banned because I didn't get notified".

Besides, a DM said it is so, so there is no need to argue. Unless you are actually trying to get an amendment to the ruling.

Edit: removed a bit.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:22 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Ok, just as a quick question: Who is to say this wasn't just added after I asked? There is a reason stuff is timestamped, and Kohl consistently forgets to timestamp and tell people they are banned.
I can say that last time I checked, this wasn't on there. But how can I accurately ask to do anything with the ban (including RPing along with it, or actually staying out of the city) without knowing that, or if, I'm banned?

Are you seriously accusing us of altering actual IC banlists as a result of you asking just now? Or even as a result of you asking? Mezwar's ban is documented, he was told ICCly, on more than one occasion. Now we're verginng on IC events being discussed ooc... and.. dammit, I said I was done with this, lol.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:24 PM 

Player

i warned ya!

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:29 PM 

Player

Oh come on, ya pansy's! Rith'tar has been banned from... hell, everywhere for awhile there. Even the home he built in The Shrine.

Even Cordor that allows Lolthites has banned Rith'tar. By /name/. I have no idea why. Rith'tar happens to think it's hilarious. Guess what? He doesn't go there. I don't expect a friendly atmosphere for Rith'tar.

And I am /STILL/ able to RP. A lot.

So, get on out there and wear that ban with pride! It means folks have noticed your RP!

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:34 PM 

Player

No, I was completly asking for OOC quality of life changes:

- notifiying people OOC, rather than an ambiguos IC letter
- writing a tiny post that you updated the ban list like nearly every other setlement does.
Bendir wrote:
*Two names have been added to the banned individual list*

- Osiris (06/08)
- Virgil (06/08)

Cordor wrote:
Selgoron is removed from the banishment list.

Kohlingen used to do that:
Kohlingen wrote:
Sana Veskin is hereby banished from Kohlingen due to unnecessarily provocative and violent behaviour, mutilation of dead bodies, and threatening attitude towards Kohlingen forces.
This ban is temporary and will be removed if and when Sana shows herself to have enough self control not to be considered a threat to the safety of others.

And yes, it was posted as IC in two of the three. But it makes sure that the banned person knows he is banned. No matter whether it is IC or OOC.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:37 PM 

Player

memo for record;

Was banned for 5ish months from kohl w/o being notified or added to the banlist. Had to find out from a dm OOC that I was banned.

I used the city constantly during that period.

But, just for anyone concerned, it didn't and doesn't matter, you're still banned, informed or not. If they don't do proper bookkeeping it's irrelevant; they can just find a reason later, or not give a reason at all, it's their prerogative.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:45 PM 

Player

And that is actually the point why I am making such a fuss about it. Instead of it being their fault when they don't do proper bookkeeping, according to RP and OOC rulings, it is your fault. Well, at least it was until that last ruling given by Tormak. But it still is treated as if that old ruling didn't happen.

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:54 PM 

DM

As a player in Kohlingen, I agree that you should have been notified. That oversight never should have happened, and I think the majority of us didn't realize that people weren't told. In the future, we need to make sure that that's handled better so this doesn't happen again.

So I apologize for that happening. It's not your fault; it's ours. You shouldn't get any punishment or whatever for not knowing or being in Kohlingen when you shouldn't have been.

I've personally apologized for this before, but apparently it doesn't matter since we're all just jerks regardless of any apologies and attempts to make sure it doesn't happen again. Can we stop with the pointed attacks, though? That was a fault of the DM who made the edit and the higher powers who placed the ban. It was a mistake, yes. It was not done maliciously. If you think the DMs (or anyone for that matter) are being malicious in not telling you things like this, then you need to step back and think about it.

See me DM-side as:

Last edited by Jes on Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 17:59 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
And that is actually the point why I am making such a fuss about it. Instead of it being their fault when they don't do proper bookkeeping, according to RP and OOC rulings, it is your fault. Well, at least it was until that last ruling given by Tormak. But it still is treated as if that old ruling didn't happen.

I'm not seeing the problem with PC's running their area how they want. So what if one PC in Cordor decided my character was a danger to the city? Or they didn't like my character? Or they didn't like the way my character talked to a guard? So what if you OOCly didn't get notified every single time your character gets the ban hammer?

I don't expect Kohlingen to write me a personal PM OOCly or ICly informing me that my characters is banned. That information is for that faction. I'll find out eventually. I'm willing to cut the players in the faction some slack since this is a game and they have a life outside of Kohlingen.

I don't think trying to put the 'fault' on anyone is very helpful. Try to roll with it, it's more fun. Honest.

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:01 PM 

Developer

For a period of time I moonlighted as a bouncer at a bar that allowed patrons 18+ and the drinking age is 21+. Not everybody that did a certain thing got kicked out and not everyone that got kicked out got the same punishment. If I caught you being frisky in the bathroom and I knew you you'd get a gentle warning to cut it out but if I caught you doing the same and I didn't know you from Adam I would politely yet firmly ask that you leave. If you were caught drinking underage you were kicked out for the night and I'd buy you a Pepsi the next time I saw you come in. If you were being removed for drinking underage and you started screaming at me (only for me to find out you were dumb enough to sneak in a beer we didn't even serve at that) I would enact a lifetime ban. Getting into a scrap could get you removed for a night or for life depending on what was going on and whether or not I knew and liked you.

Were there ways around this? Sure. I only worked there two nights a week. Come in on one of my days off when I wasn't also up there visiting and unless the other bouncer knew about your ban you could get in. Sneak in the back door and I might not catch you. It was rare enough but things like that did happen.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is that life isn't always fair as you perceive fairness. I'm sure some of the folks I booted feel they didn't do anything wrong or that their punishment didn't fit their offense. They could complain to the owner and if she wanted to she could override my bans. If she didn't tell me to let the person back in she probably knew just as well as I did what a pain they were being or trusted my judgement enough to know that they were deserving. A rational person doesn't push to go where they are unwanted whether it's a seedy dive bar or a holy city unless they intend to do it for all the wrong reasons. If they feel they got a bum rap they should do what they can to show that they are worthy of readmittance to that from which they were barred.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:07 PM 

Player

Well, thanks for the apology, and sorry for the generalisation. There is a certain person I would hope to have an apology or attempts to make it better from, but he never seems to answer this. And apparently your attempt to make it better did not help. I am not trying to attack you, it just is something that still hasn't been made better. I am trying to get people to do things better, perhaps not with the best wording, and apparently no way I try seems to work. So I'm sorry for being frustrated, and I'm not saying it is you, Jes. There are four people as far as I know who it could have been, and none of them seem to have learned from complaints. If you know a better way than like the way I am doing this, please tell me, because I am still frustrated about this.

I am OOCly not allowed to enter an otherwise publicly open city. In a certain way, they can be happy they are allowed to manage a whole city. At that point I expect people to have their bans a bit more public, since me being in there is not sensible IC. Guards would remove me. Because this is a game, they don't. For that reason I need someone to tell that guards would remove me if I were to enter. That is the reason why a ban is only allowed to be broken with DM oversight.

Gribbo

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:17 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:

You say this but my entire faction was banned from wharftown with no notification to me and I still really have no idea why

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:19 PM 

Player

I wonder why my character is banned. : O

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:46 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
That Guy wrote:

Bingo. I agree, Commie. I've seen characters banned from an area over an instance which didn't even occur in that area and which had zero effect on that area.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 18:54 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Well, thanks for the apology, and sorry for the generalisation. There is a certain person I would hope to have an apology or attempts to make it better from, but he never seems to answer this. And apparently your attempt to make it better did not help. I am not trying to attack you, it just is something that still hasn't been made better. I am trying to get people to do things better, perhaps not with the best wording, and apparently no way I try seems to work. So I'm sorry for being frustrated, and I'm not saying it is you, Jes. There are four people as far as I know who it could have been, and none of them seem to have learned from complaints. If you know a better way than like the way I am doing this, please tell me, because I am still frustrated about this.

I am OOCly not allowed to enter an otherwise publicly open city. In a certain way, they can be happy they are allowed to manage a whole city. At that point I expect people to have their bans a bit more public, since me being in there is not sensible IC. Guards would remove me. Because this is a game, they don't. For that reason I need someone to tell that guards would remove me if I were to enter. That is the reason why a ban is only allowed to be broken with DM oversight.

Mistakes were made in the past, of the "four" you mention, I can think that most have left, or were not involved. Sure, someone didn't follow the rule... but.. actually you were sent an IC letter telling you of your ban, you even admitted that. That fulfills the obligation.

But... guys, we're all human, mistakes are made, no one is doing it on purpose. We (Kohlingen) are trying to do things better than before, but, hells, it's a game. If you want to be welcome everywhere, don't do evil things? I have 50+ characters in all my years here, and not one time have I ever been personally banned for my character's actions... anywhere. Through factions? sure. But I never caused a personal ban.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 19:31 PM 

Player

CrazyCatLady wrote:
Commie wrote:
That Guy wrote:

Bingo. I agree, Commie. I've seen characters banned from an area over an instance which didn't even occur in that area and which had zero effect on that area.

Im an amia ban expert. On various characters I have been banned from:

Forums
Server
Cordor
Kohl
Wharftown
Wiltun
Ostland
Caraigh
Howness
Enders
Winya

You dont even need to do anything, people don't believe you, and when you provide proof of no wrongdoing, "keep it in character."

As an amia ban expert I can say with certainty there is honestly no point in contesting any ban related to any incident, innocent or no. You get told to prove a negative, and that screenshots and forum posts arnt in character and therefore not proof. You can't get proof in engine. It's impossible, and there's no arbiter or anything, you can pass a zone of truth interrogation with witnesses and still be called a liar and be banned over it.

And that's fine, because there's no reason for amia to be fair. Just like irl, some governments and individuals are flawed and corrupt, and as players we just have to accept that it's in character and any action or inaction regardless of location or previous conduct is enough for a blanket banishment with no chance for appeal. Not to mention people being Shar worshipers literally spreading misery via this system and being ic over it.

That's just Amia. It's just how it is.

Drag someone to the electric castle, if they go through the red gate begin banning them. Seen it happen. Almost happened to me, luckily I'm neutral and didn't have to use the red gate.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Last edited by Commie on Tue, Dec 20 2016, 0:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 19:36 PM 

Player

I believe that banning is toxic for the longevity and diversity of the Amian ethos, if people can't play something outside the status quo because it will end up with them banned from the RP hubs then we're going to see nothing different than the history of people being ostracized and outed until they feel less like a member of a community and more like a both IC and OOC villain.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 19:37 PM 

Player

Honestly, after writing a few drafts, all I notice is that I severely lack a way to tell people how to do things better without them feeling insulted. I guess it is my fault, but not hearing anything from the person who banned me, and the way bans are handled apparently not being much better, I am a bit frustrated, because Kohlingens faction is led by a DM, from whom I would actually expect far better handling of stuff. Maybe my expectations are too high, but obviously other factions/settlements manage, so I am just frustrated that Kohlingen does not.

Like I said, I guess it is my own flaw in the end.

Again, did I deserve the ban? Yes.
Was it handled well in my opinion? No.

This is all I was trying to argue, but I feel there is no point, when, at the end, it comes down to criticising people.

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 19 2016, 19:40 PM 

Developer

Commie wrote:

Im an amia ban expert. Been banned from:

Forums
Server
Cordor
Kohl
Wharftown
Wiltun
Ostland
Caraigh
Howness
Enders
Winya

On various characters.

Note to self: Have Kuria issue a ban in Tarkuul on Commie's characters.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next