View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Naivatkal

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 19 2017, 22:56 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
And isn't normal stealth, not invised or shadow dancered just stealth?

SD stealth is the same as regular stealth, the only difference being you can use it in plain sight (within 10ft of a shadow at least half your size, obv). If someone sees/hears an SD it is the same as a non-SD. Also remember that someone might hear your max-hide person, too (which accounts for you being behind them). And yeah with invis, people just 'knowing' who it is without the person speaking always irritates me lol

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 0:03 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Budly wrote:
And isn't normal stealth, not invised or shadow dancered just stealth?

SD stealth is the same as regular stealth, the only difference being you can use it in plain sight (within 10ft of a shadow at least half your size, obv). If someone sees/hears an SD it is the same as a non-SD. Also remember that someone might hear your max-hide person, too (which accounts for you being behind them). And yeah with invis, people just 'knowing' who it is without the person speaking always irritates me lol

I always thought that the reason SD can use Hips is cause of their shadow affinity, making them different from just the rogueish bastard in the slum who pick pockets curious travellers and walzing nobles pockets.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 0:32 AM 

Player

You're right, they are! But their stealth is just stealth, the only difference is the easier activation :mrgreen:

Unless I severely missed some lore somewhere haha

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 12:48 PM 

Player

Well, in PnP, Hide is hiding. You need some way of hiding, a shadowy corner, an obstacle to hide behind/under. PnP SD can essentially do a bit of invisibility with HiPS. As long as you are just near that shadowy corner, the shadows make you unseen. Of course, you can also try to fade away with HiPS. At that is how people would be forced if I was a PnP DM.

NWN makes it so that you do not need anything to hide behind. As a non-SD, you still can hide in plain sight, you just can't re-hide in plain sight. I can walk up to someone and stand in their face, even physically block them without them seeing me.

And yes, a high hide caracter can be heard if he is standing behind someone else, but a high move silently character can be seen even when he is standing behind someone else. Due to third person, every PC has eyes in the back of their head.

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 13:17 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Well, in PnP, Hide is hiding. You need some way of hiding, a shadowy corner, an obstacle to hide behind/under. PnP SD can essentially do a bit of invisibility with HiPS. As long as you are just near that shadowy corner, the shadows make you unseen. Of course, you can also try to fade away with HiPS. At that is how people would be forced if I was a PnP DM.

NWN makes it so that you do not need anything to hide behind. As a non-SD, you still can hide in plain sight, you just can't re-hide in plain sight. I can walk up to someone and stand in their face, even physically block them without them seeing me.

And yes, a high hide caracter can be heard if he is standing behind someone else, but a high move silently character can be seen even when he is standing behind someone else. Due to third person, every PC has eyes in the back of their head.

This grinds my gears with the whole stand beside someone "hiding".

Mr. Hackums

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 18:12 PM 

Player

That topic has been talked to death and back. It's one of the biggest limitations of NWN's multi-player persistent world mechanics. Nwn just isnt designed to have an accurate stealth system, through and through. It's one of those "grind my gears" things that everyone just has to get over or find a better stealth game.

I've never seen any server ever that is able to get around that. (And that's because fixing it would require reworking stealth entirely, adding line of sight, adding environmental stealth assets, etc etc.)

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 20 2017, 18:19 PM 

Player

Mr. Hackums wrote:
That topic has been talked to death and back. It's one of the biggest limitations of NWN's multi-player persistent world mechanics. Nwn just isnt designed to have an accurate stealth system, through and through. It's one of those "grind my gears" things that everyone just has to get over or find a better stealth game.

I've never seen any server ever that is able to get around that. (And that's because fixing it would require reworking stealth entirely, adding line of sight, adding environmental stealth assets, etc etc.)

It should be against the rules to do that, but yes, lets drop the topic for now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4