View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Lorekeeper

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:00 PM 

Player

I had the displeasure of being part of some PVP conflict today and I have to admit it was the WORST experience on this server I've ever had. Not 10 seconds after the conflict broke out people began to immediately bicker in OOC, arguing about everything from Guards to offering an out. Honestly either PVP is okay or it isn't. All of these nebulous rules seem to be far too vague to be of any real consequence. This really left a sour taste in my mouth because immediately the experience was ruined and people began to assign blame when it could've been handled in character in a dozen different ways.

This just reinforces my thoughts that Amia has gotten to a level of Toxic I feel is quite hard to deal with at times. And makes playing a character that happens to be even remotely evil a real chore. I feel that Amia in its current state is nothing but a strange Carebear state because people are too afraid to do anything that might anger others, which is ridiculous because this is a GAME. We play this in our free time to distract ourselves from our daily grind.

In short. Feeling weird about this whole game at the moment. Feeling like it isn't worth playing something that disagrees with anyone because honestly, it's just so much easier to be part of the flock and not have to deal with the OOC pain of having everyone complain about the slightest of things.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:06 PM 

Player

It really is disheartening when formative roleplay is disrupted by OOC upset, which happens all too often in pvp. Sorry for your experience, but I can't tell you with a clear conscience that it'll get better, because my experience has been much the same.

Kamina

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:15 PM 

Player

I'm vehemently against OOC IG. I'll talk in Party Chat/OOC if 1. I have to leave suddenly or have to discuss OOC times for a meet up or 2. The OOC topic of conversation has something I can add to it that may help (such as tech support).

When it comes to PvP, I will say something OOC if there's some metagame behind it, but most of the time I'll just roll with it. If I'm killed in eyesight of the guard, maybe I was taken out quietly when their back was turned? Idk, I try not to instigate PvP but most of the time I'll just take it all in my stride, win or lose.

I really can't offer my opinion for anything else though, there's many ways to play evil and unfortunately the extrovert evil tends to be quickly smitten. Ignoring my planning of my own person AB, evil needs to be grown and harnessed, sometimes good need to lose, even without DM oversight.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Arkun

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:22 PM 

Player

I witnessed the situation at hand, I believe.

I don't think this had to come to the forums at all.

Yes, people were upset at the situation. This will not help the situation in the slightest, I believe, and will only serve to further flame upset.

Lorekeeper

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:27 PM 

Player

I mentioned no names. I didn't even participate in the pvp. I just dislike that everything had to jump to OOC right away. I felt like I wanted to vent this and thus I brought it to the forum. If you dislike that. So be it.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:29 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

While I've had the experience of OOC chatter... embarrassingly *Raises hand for a foul* I took part once upon a time. I don't do that anymore.

First because I don't mind my characters getting PVP'd. I don't /like/ it, but I'm ok with it. For the most part I do try to avoid it -- even with my evil character. But also because I have really great player friends who put up with my bitching in skype.

And my thoughts about the PC that does the PVP is simply "It seemed like a good idea at the time to them." Which covers everything from the player testing out a shiny new weapon, to the PC just having one of those days. (Although I will say that we players need to be careful to make sure that excessive violence is acceptable to all involved. By excessive I mean torture, beating the character to death etc.)

Another thing is that we players need to slow down during PVP. Even though it's just pixels on a screen adrenaline can still be pumping through our veins and typing can be more difficult in PVP situations. A really great example of a well done PVP was the other day in the Slanty Shanty. Lyelanna, Aedan, Rane and a few others were involved in dice rolling and taking the time to respond to the situation. It was tense but it was also fun.

My hope is that you are able to encounter a much more interesting and slowed down PVP, Lorekeeper and OpenTheRift. And that player OOC can be dealt with out of the game. IE. PM's and in skype.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:30 PM 

Administrative Developer

When most of the disdain towards evil is motivated by OOC sentiments, sometimes rudimentary down to the person's login name, it's difficult to expect anything IC to have any positive impact.

In my view, part of Amia's issue with ghosting evil is OOC attitudes, but the other part of the blame just falls on the development and evolution of the setting, which allowed people to get cozy and ban people from just about every place on the map with two sentences.

I still have yet to see evil beat good at a 'breaking point' like a settlement attack, for example even once since my 8th year anniversary starting. Best I've managed to see was when we (banites) took out the war knights in the quagmire. That was rather short lived though, considering they got a brand new base that was twice the size the next day. Totally cool with that. Meanwhile, when our base got blown up, Disco was like here, have a new base if you do the RP, and the DM team was like "NO".

To add more, where things started getting wonkier for me, is when I had to collect 2394237872 pounds of clay, 2394782347823 lumber, 39247823742 of this, 2394823842 of that, provide 39214723742 screenshots to do anything. I've invested somewhere in the realm of 80 million gold in these temporary houses that have a 100% chance to fail. Then I do that, and it blows up inevitably <1 year later, sometimes due to 100% metagaming. Meanwhile, Kohlingen grew to nearly 32 areas with a few paragraphs of "I Rp'd that" Nothing ever has been done about this massive disparity, and nothing continues to be done about that situation, from my recent experience.

It's the same reason small places which never were designed to be plot immune, like Wharftown continues looking less like a fishing outpost, and more like a theater of war with godlike footsoliders. I don't think anyone there cares - as long as you're OOCly not allowed to go into "their Wharftown". To me, that's the mentality that people have which is what is pulling me back from investing my own time into it seriously.

If I go afk for a few months, and lose 2 years of RP to evil blowing up evil, or if I am evil, then have someone blow my character's stuff up through metagaming while I'm offline, or even if I'm playing evil, then my character can get illegally banned then have their stuff blow up... or wait.. why am playing evil, or why am I even building anything anymore? What's even the point? I'm sure someone will try to argue that there is some unspoken equity in this, but this is just how I've looked it for a very long time, and stepping away for a long time and coming back with a clear head and still arriving at that same conclusion just reinforces that it's not a 'me' problem but a 'amia' problem.

Sorry that PvP situation happened to you, OP, but I gotta say, it's not an isolated incident, I would hazard guess. Try not to let that jade you, because not all PvP goes like that, and not everyone gets salty and takes their IC death personally; some people just roll with it and give you fantastic RP.

Amia stories typically play out rated PG, not even PG13, with a hollywood ending. I dare you to change the status quo. I dare you to make Tarkuul interesting and not resemble closest to LN/LG with skeletors.

Last edited by RaveN on Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:41 PM, edited 6 times in total.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:33 PM 

Player

I understand where you're coming from Arkun, but this is a long standing issue, one that has been detrimental to much of conflict RP. I know we're all pretty drained from the hum-drum of upset over the past few weeks but issues don't get resolved when they need to, and this is just symptomatic of that reality.

Let's work this out, calmly and collectedly so we can shuffle it away and call it a day.

A few suggestions:

1. Have a go-to copy paste warning: "Hi, I just want to inform you that this RP is now reaching conflict, any casting, buffing, or perceived overt action will result in immediate pvp. This will be the only OOC communication I am making. If you have an issue please post-mortem bring it up with the DMs, but remain IC throughout so that regardless of the outcome we may have a consistent story"

Obviously you could do something simpler, that's just spitballing. But the reason to stay IC is that I've personally witnessed a kidnapping that went smoothly up to the point of OOC upset in which all the potential roleplay was smitten by non-cooperation. I was really disheartened at the effort put into organization of this event, the thoroughness of it's very legal roleplay, and then the destruction of all that effort after 15 minutes of pink text. It's really no wonder why we are in dire straights for evil with their efforts dashed like this on countless occasions.

2. Screenshot EVERYTHING, especially your OOC/IC warning.

3. I think we could all learn to love our scars a little more. I know it's preachy at this point but you learn more from losing than winning, that's not a saying without foundation. Take it IC, build on it, for everyone.

4. Practice a level of suspension of disbelief, like Kamina said "Guards mighta been lookin' the other way" remember it's all a story, and getting mired on the minutiae doesn't benefit anyone, only breeds frustration.

Arkun

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:41 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
I understand where you're coming from Arkun, but this is a long standing issue, one that has been detrimental to much of conflict RP. I know we're all pretty drained from the hum-drum of upset over the past few weeks but issues don't get resolved when they need to, and this is just symptomatic of that reality.

Let's work this out, calmly and collectedly so we can shuffle it away and call it a day.

A few suggestions:

1. Have a go-to copy paste warning: "Hi, I just want to inform you that this RP is now reaching conflict, any casting, buffing, or perceived overt action will result in immediate pvp. This will be the only OOC communication I am making. If you have an issue please post-mortem bring it up with the DMs, but remain IC throughout so that regardless of the outcome we may have a consistent story"

Obviously you could do something simpler, that's just spitballing.

2. Screenshot EVERYTHING, especially your OOC/IC warning.

3. I think we could all learn to love our scars a little more. I know it's preachy at this point but you learn more from losing than winning, that's not a saying without foundation. Take it IC, build on it, for everyone.

4. Practice a level of suspension of disbelief, like Kamina said "Guards mighta been lookin' the other way" remember it's all a story, and getting mired on the minutiae doesn't benefit anyone, only breeds frustration.

That's quite fine and dandy, and I'm honestly all for that.

People were talking about outs. I personally did not see one, nor did I see a warning OOC given at all. This attack happened in Cordor North. Just beyond the bridge, and it was some insults going back and forwards before one party buffed, and then attacked. That is from my own POV. My own character ran back towards the bridge screaming for guards.

Both sides got upset OOC, as far as I could see. I attempted to keep things going by saying the Guards would be showing up soon and people should shove off before things got worse.

All in all I feel it was a poor situation on both sides of the equation, which is why I feel this incident did not need to go to the forums at all.

[edit: removed 'attacked both parties' and put in 'attacked'. Of course both parties were fighting.]

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:45 PM 

Player

I can shed some light on this, as I was the one who engaged in questionable pvp. I think the in character reaction was accurate. What's up for debate are the rules in place. Typically in such a setting you would need a dm to assume the role of guard, which none was available. The call was made on my behalf, that the two evil guys being nonstop insulted by two others would not just go on until the clearly stronger bad guys walk away with tails between they're legs, verbally defeated by a game mechanic. It's unrealistic and unsporting to abuse the rules as such. Too much of this goes on. If your character wants to just leave and go level..do that. If you want to RP. That's cool too. But when the RP is combative in nature...as it tends to be when you are arguing with a Banite, RDD Blackguard...at some point if you dont want pvp, you should probably leave. Right around the time he slowly puts his gear on, draws his sword and stares at you. I don't know what else to say. Sorry. I was playing my character the best I knew how, and getting punked by a "Gruff Dwarf" wasn't in his stars. I hope you can understand this is clearly an IC behavior. Again, sorry if feelings were hurt, but I assure you it could have been settled on the spot with a discussion.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 18:56 PM 

Administrative Developer

Just curious.. what needs to be "settled" OOC? I'm of the opinion that no OOC is necessary to RP/do PvP, and at best, that discussion is just like holding someone's hand and asking for permission to RP what they should be doing anyways. Not my idea of a good experience, to barter with someone after they lose, to see if I'm able to count it as a win or even a loss. I would think just sticking to the IC would be best in 100% of scenarios. Even in illegal PvP's in the past, I've rolled with 7-24 hour punishments, and think that response was far more productive than just OOCly solving the problem then that there, and ruining the moment for everyone by putting my character's ego before the flow of the RP.

Also, this thread is probably violating the first law of "Don't talk about recent PvP events on the forums".... but whatever I guess!

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:01 PM 

Player

I wasn't there for any of this.

Remember that if you or a friend get attacked/are forced to make a save, then just go ham because you are allowed to defend yourself regardless of context. If you walk in on someone getting a beating you dont need to ask permission to join the fray just flag who you think is in the wrong and kill.

And screenshots, its one button.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Lorekeeper

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:05 PM 

Player

I don't feel like I should have to have permission to vent on the forums being that this clearly seems to be the ideal medium for such things to be done, with that said. I'm sorry if anyone feels targeted by this post. My intention here was to point out that I feel like the system clearly doesn't function as intended. It inhibits RP and creates a weird feeling of walking on eggshells in nearly every situation an Evil character is involved and that really takes away from the server in my opinion.

I understand that a lot of people play Amia because they enjoy the idle chit-chat, the picnics, hanging out in Bendir ect. And truth be told. I enjoy these things at times. But I also enjoy tension between characters. I enjoy a sense that actions HAVE consequences and to me this has be robbed because at the drop of a hat someone can insult, demean and belittle a character to the cusp of PVP then say something like "I don't want to pvp this in anyway" And just carry on leaving me with a feeling of diminished RP.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:09 PM 

Player

Lorekeeper wrote:
I don't feel like I should have to have permission to vent on the forums being that this clearly seems to be the ideal medium for such things to be done, with that said. I'm sorry if anyone feels targeted by this post. My intention here was to point out that I feel like the system clearly doesn't function as intended. It inhibits RP and creates a weird feeling of walking on eggshells in nearly every situation an Evil character is involved and that really takes away from the server in my opinion.

I understand that a lot of people play Amia because they enjoy the idle chit-chat, the picnics, hanging out in Bendir ect. And truth be told. I enjoy these things at times. But I also enjoy tension between characters. I enjoy a sense that actions HAVE consequences and to me this has be robbed because at the drop of a hat someone can insult, demean and belittle a character to the cusp of PVP then say something like "I don't want to pvp this in anyway" And just carry on leaving me with a feeling of diminished RP.

i agree with you.

but i also think of all the pvp rules the ooc purple text of 'pvp warning' should pretty much always be followed and alongside appropriate ic measures such as a threat or a drawn sword to give the ooc ic context, simply so people actually tab back in or go fullscreen and are prepared for the fight.

additionally, talk shit get hit. if you're going to stand by a guard and extol the virtues of cyric assuming you're not attackable because no dm is on that's dumb.

so fight em, take screenshots, if you're in the right the screens will show that.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:14 PM 

Player

Please don't flame eachother with specific incident as per the forum rules. If you think that there was rulebreaking that needs to be reported then our PM boxes are open.

This is a PW.

When PVPing do not ignore the setting, meaning the NPC guards and the NPCs that surround you. They are the majority of the population and not the max 65 PCs. Everything you do (good or bad, lawful or unlawful) reflects on your character by them. Ignoring the setting is against the rules. If there is a conflict and no DM can oversee it then you can take it outside, I am sure.

Even when there are no visible guard NPCs around, it is better to ask a DM about that, just to be sure.

Always apply common sense when minding the environment, that is also a rule.

Unless assassination ruless apply, always provide an IC out...or provide two..just to be sure. Three is even better.

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:24 PM 

Administrative Developer

Maybe team should consider opening some form of punishment for people who take IC situations and blast them into pure OOC ingame because they got triggered by something that was not the other persons fault?

That behavior is imo, more toxic and pandering than even the PvP that went awry. At some people, people need to grow up, and realize that they aren't their characters and not to take everything personally. We look the other way when people take things OOC, so it shouldn't surprise you that more and more OOC crap is stirring up. It's being enabled.

Arkun

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:26 PM 

Player

As a person that almost always plays someone of the evil alignment in some way shape or form, I agree with the OOC warnings and I utterly sympathize with how some people feel when they were think they have to walk on eggshells when presented with a server of majority good PCs.

People come here to have fun. I myself have even breaks because I feel slighted by good PCs acting more CE than I ever have. It boils my biscuit, so to speak.

I have seen DMs be more responding to the evil side of the game now, however, and I hope that both parties walk away from the situation previously stated with no hard feelings towards each other OOC.

Remember, folks. OOC warnings and screenshots abound on BOTH sides of the alignment spectrum! Evil PCs have Good Players. :D

(Edit: removed excess smiley. Then fixed autocorrects, of=OOC)

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:30 PM 

Player

Firstly! Im not annoyed that I got my arse handed to me. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be doing my job in trying to remove the grey of Good and Evil being far too kind to each other all the time if I weren't creating some much needed conflict!

There's four real issues here

1) NWN sucks at managing the disparity of power between different levels of characters. A lower level can never really stand up to a high level even with luck, blah blah blah topic for another time. TLDR make leveling easier so I don't have to grind for 999 hours to enjoy some more equal footing conflict :D

2) Overt evil is shunned on Amia. Its really weird and annoying. Evil people get pushed around on a serious OOC level here and are in dire need of some DM focused love to create an active faction designed to overtly do Evil things across the server, including attacking settlements that otherwise seem protected as "plot". The whole mainland is basically allied and the only issues they face are DM plots. Create a little chaos, Cordor is ripe for a little civil war followed by war with Kohl.

3) The PVP rules kinda suck. I mean, they always tend to favor someone so there gonna kinda suck, but at the least if it were like
- You dislike someone
- In both your combat logs it comes up with the basic servers PVP rules, saying you have ~10 seconds to ask for an out to PVP or prepare to get PVP'd. Buffing negates your 10 second period.
Done. That's your PVP rule. Forcing a generic timed "out" might hopefully clear up some of the grief over that issue. The only real issue is...

4) PVP in a town. This ones... impossible really. Players aren't suppose to RP on behalf of NPCs so it makes PVP kinda impossible in a town without a DM present. On the flipside it also means that you can walk around with impunity insulting people without fear of PVP repercussion. Case in point our "Team Evil" in the originating conflict feeling they were on the receiving end of this. Now yes, there's other means you could go about that aren't technically PVP. But at the same time, if your deserving a smacking, you should get a smacking, provided the smacking party is willing to live with the consequences. A ruling like this is always gonna favor one party over another, but is there a viable alternative short of a heavily scripted automated guard response? DM's aren't always on. And when they are, they're not omnipresent or otherwise always free to deal with every conflict.

As an additional note to this, some towns like Wiltun have global no-pvp on, so you can litterally run your mouth insulting someone there all day without fear of "PVP" reprisal.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:39 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
Firstly! Im not annoyed that I got my arse handed to me. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be doing my job in trying to remove the grey of Good and Evil being far too kind to each other all the time if I weren't creating some much needed conflict!

There's four real issues here

1) NWN sucks at managing the disparity of power between different levels of characters. A lower level can never really stand up to a high level even with luck, blah blah blah topic for another time. TLDR make leveling easier so I don't have to grind for 999 hours to enjoy some more equal footing conflict :D

Yyou should know this as someone still 'in training' that you're weak. Also, lowbies hold on to those ganks, and sometimes manage to get back at their ganker in rather spectacular ways.

lilmarcat wrote:
2) Overt evil is shunned on Amia. Its really weird and annoying. Evil people get pushed around on a serious OOC level here and are in dire need of some DM focused love to create an active faction designed to overtly do Evil things across the server, including attacking settlements that otherwise seem protected as "plot". The whole mainland is basically allied and the only issues they face are DM plots. Create a little chaos, Cordor is ripe for a little civil war followed by war with Kohl.

It is hard. Moreso in that you can't interact with a large portion of the server population w/o dm oversight if you're evil; you're just exiled by people/guards you could obliterate in a round or two. Then people say they would join you but never see you do anything. :roll:

lilmarcat wrote:
3) The PVP rules kinda suck. I mean, they always tend to favor someone so there gonna kinda suck, but at the least if it were like
- You dislike someone
- In both your combat logs it comes up with the basic servers PVP rules, saying you have ~10 seconds to ask for an out to PVP or prepare to get PVP'd. Buffing negates your 10 second period.
Done. That's your PVP rule. Forcing a generic timed "out" might hopefully clear up some of the grief over that issue. The only real issue is...

You have to give someone an out, which can be "leave or die." You have to warn them ooc, which can be a simple "pvp warning." Using a potion, resting or anything of the sort after these are out and you're good to pvp. The need for a warning is also waived if they rest/buff in front of you; from the rules

Quote:
If you do not give the other party time to observe the usual protocol, you can't expect them to stick to the protocol. This means that by resting, buffing or other such preperations to hostility, you forfeit your right to a warning: The other party may attack you immediately to stop you. If you have not set them to Hostile before, you can't blame them for having to act without it. Both parties should strive to set eachother to Hostile after the immediate reaction, however.

lilmarcat wrote:
4) PVP in a town. This ones... impossible really. Players aren't suppose to RP on behalf of NPCs so it makes PVP kinda impossible in a town without a DM present. On the flipside it also means that you can walk around with impunity insulting people without fear of PVP repercussion. Case in point our "Team Evil" in the originating conflict feeling they were on the receiving end of this. Now yes, there's other means you could go about that aren't technically PVP. But at the same time, if your deserving a smacking, you should get a smacking, provided the smacking party is willing to live with the consequences. A ruling like this is always gonna favor one party over another, but is there a viable alternative short of a heavily scripted automated guard response? DM's aren't always on. And when they are, they're not omnipresent or otherwise always free to deal with every conflict.

I'm not going to comment here other then say it is very obnoxious to have someone saying all kinds of fucked up shit/doing fucked up shit but not being able to do anything but sit there and watch because a guard is nearby and no dm is on. It's a really really stupid situation to be in.

lilmarcat wrote:
As an additional note to this, some towns like Wiltun have global no-pvp on, so you can litterally run your mouth insulting someone there all day without fear of "PVP" reprisal.

This needs to be changed and should have been changed a long time ago.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:44 PM 

Player

So we can put this to bed. I understand why certain rules are in place. Generally speaking, I understand the rules. I apply them in my RP and tuck when I need to, avoid confrontation, leave situations, or fight. It's not reasonable to expect a character, who genuinely has a bad, murderous attitude to endure well over five minutes of IC insult. Throughout this, nothing bothered me ooc. I don't Harbor any ill will for the other players. It was a reasonable reaction to the scenario. It can be said I was metagaming guards, fair enough. I accept that. But it cannot be said that issuing snide remarks and insults in the same environment you know you can't be killed in, is also a form of metagaming and it affects your IC behavior. I won't engage in this sort of thing again. To those who kept it IC, especially the guy screaming for a guard, you are a peach. For the person killed. Sorry bud. It was my character. Like you I was also trying to RP. I was even so much as being polite at first...Your character chose to instigate a fight...I don't know what else to say. Apologies for misreading your intent.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:46 PM 

Player

When I said common sense I also applied on how you view PVP. When doing PVP always mind the environment and use common sense there.

In L'Obsul for example I never minded PVP at this point non of us do up to a certain limit, even gave out free drinks to the winner as the bartender. If you are blowing up the place with hellballs, earthquakes, meteor swarms then you will get a reaction even from the evil guards. Much the same applies to Zanshibon as well.

I know that the lack of AoE in this case would reduce the ability to pvp for certain classes. But if you are a wizard you are prolly smart enough to know your strength and weaknesses. As a cleric or druid, you are probably wise enough to measure the situation. Common sense...cannot emphasize it enough.

If you want further clarification on this then poke any of us.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:53 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
When I said common sense I also applied on how you view PVP. When doing PVP always mind the environment and use common sense there.

In L'Obsul for example I never minded PVP at this point non of us do up to a certain limit, even gave out free drinks to the winner as the bartender. If you are blowing up the place with hellballs, earthquakes, meteor swarms then you will get a reaction even from the evil guards. Much the same applies to Zanshibon as well.

I know that the lack of AoE in this case would reduce the ability to pvp for certain classes. But if you are a wizard you are prolly smart enough to know your strength and weaknesses. As a cleric or druid, you are probably wise enough to measure the situation. Common sense...cannot emphasize it enough.

If you want further clarification on this then poke any of us.

This is exactly why taking screenshots is so important if you're about to do some pvp or if you think some shit is about to go down.

They show the 'common sense.'

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Cratz

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 19:59 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
lilmarcat wrote:

Why? The whole point is that it's a Jarldom, and the rule is "No weapons bared in the Keep. Lest your arms be removed." Removing the global no-pvp setting makes it so that there's NO way for that to be enforced. We're dipping back into the realm of "this upsets me so it should be changed."

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:01 PM 

Player

CratzBlade113 wrote:
Commie wrote:
lilmarcat wrote:

Why? The whole point is that it's a Jarldom, and the rule is "No weapons bared in the Keep. Lest your arms be removed." Removing the global no-pvp setting makes it so that there's NO way for that to be enforced. We're dipping back into the realm of "this upsets me so it should be changed."

i mean, let them try and take them then. make pc's enforce the laws. same as everywhere else.

plus you can fight in a ton of wiltun areas including basically all the interiors just not outside, so its not even consistent. it's just random that you can't fight outside.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Cratz

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:07 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
i mean, let them try and take them then. make pc's enforce the laws. same as everywhere else.

There's no one person who's gonna stand around the entire time to ensure this stuff doesn't happen. Time zones are also an enemy here. I'm fairly sure most, if not all the Wiltun PC's are in the US time zones. How exactly will this stop people from doing it when they're not online?

Commie wrote:
plus you can fight in a ton of wiltun areas including basically all the interiors just not outside, so its not even consistent. it's just random that you can't fight outside.

If anything, consistency should be made to make all the interiors also no-pvp zones.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:10 PM 

Player

I don't understand the anger around PvP because you actually, most of the time, have literally NOTHING to lose. You're probably already 30 and dying doesn't hurt your level. I've played on permadeath servers and a server where after you die, all of your gear drops, and the person who killed you can literally take all of your gear.

I haven't experienced PvP on Amia. Maybe there's a psychological warfare I'm unaware of. Unless you're being PvPed over and over again, like harrassed, I just don't get it. Whether you die or win you'll probably still be 'banned.' So what else? Your pride must be incredibly fragile. Are you worried about your character's reputation? Does it bother you to die knowing the other person gets to gloat? Other people will win all of the time, maybe you shouldn't be playing a multiplayer game...

You can come PvP with me, I'm an adult. :twisted:

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Dunecat

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:10 PM 

Player

CratzBlade113 wrote:
Commie wrote:

There's no one person who's gonna stand around the entire time to ensure this stuff doesn't happen. Time zones are also an enemy here. I'm fairly sure most, if not all the Wiltun PC's are in the US time zones. How exactly will this stop people from doing it when they're not online?

Commie wrote:

If anything, consistency should be made to make all the interiors also no-pvp zones.

Following this line of thought, we can proceed to make major cities no-pvps zones, and ride down the slippery slope. I think it's a bad idea, right there with invulnerable NPCs who participate in fights. Although those are probably DM mistakes.

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:13 PM 

Player

There is a reason why Wiltun was made a Non-pvp zone. Because back in the days when it got implemented the whole place got blown up literally by pvp outside the walls. First a script was implemented that autokilled the PC that made a PK in the area. Then the non-pvp flag was added. It is the result of the server culture, which ignored the setting (basically the fact that there is a settlement there) not because the area is plot protected.

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:15 PM 

Administrative Developer

Are people not allowed to fight outside settlements or something? Heck, our first presidents used to duel eachother in public.

Dunecat

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:15 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
There is a reason why Wiltun was made a Non-pvp zone. Because back in the days when it got implemented the whole place got blown up literally by pvp outside the walls. First a script was implemented that autokilled the PC that made a PK in the area. Then the non-pvp flag was added. It is the result of the server culture, which ignored the setting (basically the fact that there is a settlement there) not because the area is plot protected.

It is hopeful that "server culture" did change from those days. Perhaps no-pvp flag can be removed?

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:17 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:

Ah.

We should defiantly make wiltun pvp again then.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:19 PM 

Player

RaveN wrote:
Are people not allowed to fight outside settlements or something? Heck, our first presidents used to duel eachother in public.

That is Wiltun land despite the fact that it is outside the walls. People were allowed to duel there...but again..common sense should apply. THe issue was the 100000000 cast of earthquake, hellballs and AoE spells that just disregarded the environment completely. Want to go wild as a mage? Use the 10000000000000 int modifier to calculate the damage that your spell would cost. If you are an insane mage and want to destroy things? Speak with a DM.

You can still duel there but in a hard way.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:21 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
THe issue was the 100000000 cast of earthquake, hellballs and AoE spells that just disregarded the environment completely. Want to go wild as a mage? Use the 10000000000000 int modifier to calculate the damage that your spell would cost. If you are an insane mage and want to destroy things? Speak with a DM.

yeah but this kind of pvp doesn't happen anymore and certainly isn't allowed w/o dm oversight, so the ooc 'no pvp' restriction should be lifted.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Tarnus

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:23 PM 

Player

The Wiltun no-pvp zone thing could probably use at least a review nowadays, sure.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:23 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
Lutra wrote:
THe issue was the 100000000 cast of earthquake, hellballs and AoE spells that just disregarded the environment completely. Want to go wild as a mage? Use the 10000000000000 int modifier to calculate the damage that your spell would cost. If you are an insane mage and want to destroy things? Speak with a DM.

yeah but this kind of pvp doesn't happen anymore and certainly isn't allowed w/o dm oversight, so the ooc 'no pvp' restriction should be lifted.

Yup it is possible with the current server population

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:26 PM 

Player

additionally your out can be "come quietly, or not"

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:32 PM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
I can shed some light on this, as I was the one who engaged in questionable pvp. I think the in character reaction was accurate. What's up for debate are the rules in place. Typically in such a setting you would need a dm to assume the role of guard, which none was available. The call was made on my behalf, that the two evil guys being nonstop insulted by two others would not just go on until the clearly stronger bad guys walk away with tails between they're legs, verbally defeated by a game mechanic. It's unrealistic and unsporting to abuse the rules as such. Too much of this goes on. If your character wants to just leave and go level..do that. If you want to RP. That's cool too. But when the RP is combative in nature...as it tends to be when you are arguing with a Banite, RDD Blackguard...at some point if you dont want pvp, you should probably leave. Right around the time he slowly puts his gear on, draws his sword and stares at you. I don't know what else to say. Sorry. I was playing my character the best I knew how, and getting punked by a "Gruff Dwarf" wasn't in his stars. I hope you can understand this is clearly an IC behavior. Again, sorry if feelings were hurt, but I assure you it could have been settled on the spot with a discussion.

I'd like the guards to be more understanding that people sitting in an ivory tower casting shade ought to get their comeuppance, and sometimes that's an immediate braining blow. So long as no one is killed a short jail time would serve both. With a guard mentality like that I think we'd see a lot more civility, and we'd squash this "lvl 3 casting stones because he's got invincible guards"

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:43 PM 

Player

Just gonna say this again, as I have a million times before....

PVP literally has no permanent consequences unless you choose to accept it as such.

This is something extremely Amia-centric. While people will begin this belabored argument of pointing to Tarkuul and saying, "Evil isn't fostered on Amia, never was, never will be", etc etc - the root of the issue is something entirely related but different; the fact that consequences will, more often then not, be up to us. At the end of the day, it all comes down to player etiquette and the attitude or respect we harbor towards each other.

If you're going to be a douche, running around insulting and threatening people, don't loiter around the guards to protect yourself on some OOC level. Be an adult and take your consequences. IC actions = IC consequences. If you're going to be the Good guy, chasing after the group of bad guys only to be rofl-stomped; be an adult. Take it in stride, you were beat. It won't be the first or the last time. Sacrifice an arm or those shiny wings (which can grow back in a week's time IG), throw these people a bone for trying to give Amia something to fear, something to do.

This is all up to us and how we treat each other. The fact that we shouldn't be PVPing around guards is not up for debate, imo. It falls under the same rule as "don't ever speak for an NPC". We shouldn't be assuming the reaction of guardians of a settlement to a hostile threat; sometimes they'll just stay out of it, sometimes they'll try to break it up, maybe they might even join in, depending where you are. This is based in logic.

The thing that SHOULD be considered is the actual number of NPC guards present in the module around cities and settlements. It should be kept aware of where there is an over saturation, to where only a few choice places can now be open for PVP or other aggressive RP in that same vein.

And yes, that Wiltun script can be done away with. We don't need that kind of failsafe anymore.

So yes, have some respect for each other guys. You're here for yourself but be mindful that you touch and weave into so many other stories. Dont be selfish.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

RaveN

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 20:53 PM 

Administrative Developer

Nice post Sam. I do hope on that grain regarding NPC's, that the developers are taking a close look at the Silver Knight / Goodly NPC spread, and are not saturating random areas with NPC's to discourage potential RP encounters.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 21:35 PM 

Player

Quote:
lilmarcat wrote:
- You dislike someone

You have to give someone an out, which can be "leave or die." You have to warn them ooc, which can be a simple "pvp warning." Using a potion, resting or anything of the sort after these are out and you're good to pvp. The need for a warning is also waived if they rest/buff in front of you; from the rules

My issue is more with the disparity between peoples interpretation of the rule that seems to cause a lot of constant grief in regards to starting PVP.

Person A: The rule is this!
Person B: No the rule is this!

Simple is king in this case. A clear concise timer that "PVPS ABOUT TO START!!" unless you ask for an RP'd way out within that ~10seconds would clear up any issues of giving warnings/outs.

Gribbo

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 21:47 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
Quote:
lilmarcat wrote:
- You dislike someone

My issue is more with the disparity between peoples interpretation of the rule that seems to cause a lot of constant grief in regards to starting PVP.

Person A: The rule is this!
Person B: No the rule is this!

Simple is king in this case. A clear concise timer that "PVPS ABOUT TO START!!" unless you ask for an RP'd way out within that ~10seconds would clear up any issues of giving warnings/outs.

It's strange to me.

I didn't even know outs ooc warning Ect was even a thing till maybe July?

When I started playing I hung out with draven and there'd be fights every day or so with none of these things.

People would throw insults and then blades would be drawn.

Looking back I preferred it because it felt way more organic, there's not a lot of reasons my PC would ever give some one an out if she's mad enough to pvp them but that's how it is

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 21:50 PM 

Player

Ditch the whole system and just roll with the punches would be my preferred system :wink:

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 21:59 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
Ditch the whole system and just roll with the punches would be my preferred system :wink:

i agree. i'm not a fan of the warning system at all. just having the rule creates more conflict. PvP should just be allowed.

if you roll around murdering people for no warning there would be ic repercussions. that would be the better avenue then what we have now in which most fights seem to end at some arbitration session.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Suhjet

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:01 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:

Yes.

Because PVP shouldn't be a fucking bureaucracy simulator.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:01 PM 

Player

It's worth restating that if you are -killed- you are beholden to a five minute mind-wipe, so feel free to defend your name if you feel you got fucked.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:09 PM 

Player

Current rules;

Quote:
Principles:

1. Amia is a role-playing server, not a PvP arena server.

2. All PvP must have a role-playing reason. PvP without a sensible reason is not allowed. Your character's alignment is not a valid reason for PvP. Summons, such as undead, are a valid reason but do not excuse you from the below protocol.

3. You must give the other party a reasonable chance to back down from the PvP In Character.

4. IC Actions lead to IC Consequences. If you initiate a conflict (by insults or thievery, for example), you can't expect to get away with it. You cannot ignore other players' RP or declare it null.

Technicalities:

5. You must give the other party clear IC indication of your intentions to attack, and make sure they have reasonable time to react and possibly back down IC.

6. You must set all members of the opposing party to Hostile before performing hostile actions. You can do this with the tool in your inventory or through the player list.

7. If you do not give the other party time to observe the usual protocol, you can't expect them to stick to the protocol. This means that by resting, buffing or other such preperations to hostility, you forfeit your right to a warning: The other party may attack you immediately to stop you. If you have not set them to Hostile before, you can't blame them for having to act without it. Both parties should strive to set eachother to Hostile after the immediate reaction, however.

8. The above goes for fleeing from hostile situations: If you turn tail and run without a word to avoid IC consequence, you can expect to be stopped by any means possible. Always give others reasonable time to react with RP!

9. Subdualing/killing: see http://www.amiaworld.net/about/pvp.html

10. Assassinations: Assassins must inform a DM that they are about to perform a hit. If a DM is unavailable, the assassin must inform the target instead.

11. If you clearly escape scene, you may not continue the ”same” PvP later, unless such behaviour is explicitly agreed by all involved parties. It is a new encounter with all the above rules. Parties may agree to a "mutual aggression" pact, where it is agreed that hostilities may commence whenever these parties interact. This must be supported by previous role-play, and is generally done when two factions (such as drow houses) have on going IC disputes that end in hostilities. It is the responsibility of the faction leaders to make sure everyone involved knows about the situation. Should this be the case, please inform the DMs about this in advance so that they know what is going on.

12. Traps are considered PvP. Do not set them down to damage random people: you are responsible for your traps and their victims.

13. Portalling to party leader into a PvP situation is forbidden.

14. Taunting someone with the Taunt-skill, using Turn Undead summons and casting spells such as Darkness is considered initiating PvP. You should set Hostile before doing that.

15. If robbed, you are not required to hand over items you do not wish to give away OOCly; emoting that they are transferred ICly is sufficient.

16. If your character is captured, and the character who caught him/her wishes to keep your character locked away, they can do so for a period of 24 RL hours, without your OOC consent. However, roleplay with the captive must be provided for those 24 hours. If it is not, then you cannot force the captive character to remain "locked away", unless you come to an OOC agreement on the matter. Keeping a character captive for longer than 24 RL hours requires the OOC consent of the player of the captive PC. In certain instances a DM can enforce captivity, but this is rarely done.

Should be;

Quote:
1. Amia is a role-playing server, not a PvP arena server.

2. All PvP must have a role-playing reason. PvP without a sensible reason is not allowed. Your character's alignment is not a valid reason for PvP. Summons, such as undead, are a valid reason but do not excuse you from the below protocol.

3. IC Actions lead to IC Consequences. If you initiate a conflict (by insults or thievery, for example), you can't expect to get away with it. You cannot ignore other players' RP or declare it null. If you don't allow people to walk away don't expect the gang that comes after you to do the same.

Technicalities:

4. You must give the other party clear IC indication of your intentions to attack.

5. You should try and set all members of the opposing party to Hostile before performing hostile actions. You can do this with the tool in your inventory or through the player list, but sometimes things move to fast for this to be enforceable, and pvp will not be undone on the technicality that 'not all party members were hostiled.'

6. If you do not give the other party time to observe the usual protocol, you can't expect them to stick to the protocol. This means that by resting, buffing or other such preperations to hostility, you forfeit your right to a warning: The other party may attack you immediately to stop you.

7. The above goes for fleeing from hostile situations: If you turn tail and run without a word to avoid IC consequence, you can expect to be stopped by any means possible. Always give others reasonable time to react with RP!

8. Subdualing/killing: see http://www.amiaworld.net/about/pvp.html

9. Assassinations: Assassins must inform a DM that they are about to perform a hit. If a DM is unavailable, the assassin must inform the target instead.

10. If you clearly escape scene, you may not continue the ”same” PvP later, unless such behavior is explicitly agreed by all involved parties; If you meet again it is a new encounter. Factions or gangs can work with a DM for a 'mutual aggression' exception for ongoing hostilities.

11. Traps are considered PvP.

12. If robbed, you are not required to hand over items you do not wish to give away OOCly; emoting that they are transferred ICly is sufficient.

13. If your character is captured, and the character who caught him/her wishes to keep your character locked away, they can do so for a period of 24 RL hours, without your OOC consent. However, roleplay with the captive must be provided for those 24 hours. If it is not, then you cannot force the captive character to remain "locked away", unless you come to an OOC agreement on the matter. Keeping a character captive for longer than 24 RL hours requires the OOC consent of the player of the captive PC. In certain instances a DM can enforce captivity, but this is rarely done.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Gribbo

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:25 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
It's worth restating that if you are -killed- you are beholden to a five minute mind-wipe, so feel free to defend your name if you feel you got fucked.

Unless there was a new ruling this is not actually a rule or enforced sadly.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:31 PM 

Player

Gribbo wrote:
OpenTheRift wrote:

Unless there was a new ruling this is not actually a rule or enforced sadly.

yeah that's not a rule.

you remember literally everything up to the exact instant you died, including specific details like who and what and who said what and what they sounded like and if you know who it was.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:32 PM 

Player

:(

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 06 2017, 22:34 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
:(

i agree, it should be written in there.

but it's not. had many arguments; was told it wasn't a rule.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next