View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 0:31 AM 

Player

Don't fuck my thread. If a DM could move the last few posts, that'd be wonderful.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 12:05 PM 

Player

You could try make two categories next time? One for melee and one for magic. If only to see how it goes. Plus "mage" (counting all casters there) duels are kinda fun. :D

Though I am afraid in such a split anyone with HIPS will likely rule the melee. Worth a shot though. A melee can still take someone out with HIPS if they know how.

If you want to keep the two together, I assume you could forbid spells like Haven which mostly can be broke only by AOE which can be a bit of an issue for melee (unless they have a few fancy tricks up their sleeves) and timestop.

I will dig through the thread later and see what should be removed. At work still atm and just on lunchbreak.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 16:05 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
You could try make two categories next time? One for melee and one for magic. If only to see how it goes. Plus "mage" (counting all casters there) duels are kinda fun. :D

i'd like to but we had like 7 participants. Not enough.

i also think watching melee v caster is really fun.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Broldi

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 17:12 PM 

Player

I've not seen a HiPSer win a tournament in a good long while if I'm honest. I'd be surprised.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 17:24 PM 

Player

Broldi wrote:
I've not seen a HiPSer win a tournament in a good long while if I'm honest. I'd be surprised.

last month? the first one we did?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Broldi

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 17:52 PM 

Player

Fair enough! I wasn't here for that. Only been back a few weeks now. :P

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 18:39 PM 

Player

Broldi wrote:
Fair enough! I wasn't here for that. Only been back a few weeks now. :P

Yeah second place this month was also hips.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Uberuce

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28 2017, 21:01 PM 

Player

I'd like to get back into the tournament business, but I'd rather co-operate than compete with my wee Tormiepoo.

If dim memory serves, there's a lot of mileage in mixing silly stuff with genuine PvP prowess. That's why Nils, Irish Dave and I would farm Minmir Bridge for (the uncraftable) Bonk's Loincloths so we could have people cavemanning around with clubs and 10/- DR. It gave the audience lots of time to peanut gallery because no-one took DevCrit on Club.

We'd also buy sheafs of Shapechange scrolls so people could Dragonbox, or have archery matches in mage-only rounds. You get the idea.

In the less-silly category was summon vs summon, or champion vs champion. In this context the Champion has to use no special abilities of their own - and I mean not even Knockdown - but can be buffed skyhigh by their buddies.

And then you have the freestyle events where the powerbuilds live, but that is pretty damn interesting to watch too, if one is so foolish to ask me.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 28 2017, 21:42 PM 

Player

I've been looking at getting some side swag going, yep. I got a collection of ideas from PCs in character today, but I wanted to at least get a base of interest down before I started deviating.

We've got less fighter participation than Arena Tuesdays though, so for now I'm sticking to mostly seriously stuff until I know I can get turnout for other things. If I know people will turn out for summon v summon, or bowmages, or dragonboxing, i'll run 'em up superfast.

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 02 2017, 15:18 PM 

Player

Mage vs Mage Staff Melee!!!!!

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:24 AM 

Player

I haven't had any feedback on 2v2's, so I'm probably going to run this as 1v1 unless I get some serious push for 2v2's.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:19 AM 

Player

I was waiting to see if another group I'd heard was doing a tournament, but I haven't heard anything from them so I'm just going to announce mine again Ic and OOC.

April 1st is the tentative time at anytime after 5 PM CST. 1v1 Double Elim, with standard 1/2/3 prizes. Also an as-yet-unanounced event to take place afterwards, with a small side prize.

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21 2017, 13:23 PM 

Player

That sounds like a good time and date to me :)

Deadpool

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 24 2017, 13:56 PM 

Player

So that is Saturday 17:00? if so iam good on this and will be attending :D

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 24 2017, 22:01 PM 

Player

It will likely be more like 5:30 CST/1730 CST, since I got off work at 5 and need a bit of time to actually get home.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:51 AM 

Player

New rule: 1 successful timestop per caster, per match.

max IGMS may end up on chopping block

no other changes

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:57 PM 

Player

I have to say, it was fun, I liked the brawl at the end (even though it's not standard), and I approve of the timestop rule. (totally not biased, because I have no timestopping characters)
That was the main issue I found in there, (although my view is skewed from having been level 20) mages just dominate with all of their buffs and timestop. Yes, I tried similar things myself, with Darkness, but it has a pretty easy counter. It gives you time to buff, or if the 'idiot' charges at you, you are in the advantage. If you are allowed to buff, you are as well. Saying you have many more than three free buff seems pretty insane. (And yes, I know, IC Darkness is a dick move, for the spectators)

I also liked the round robin. (I don't exactly know how it was done before) But being able to fight against everyone, and also seeing how it was not (only) pure luck how high you got (hehe, yes, I am the right person to say that), but that part of the randomness was taken out by fighting seven matches was pretty fun to me.

The brawl, well, to be honest, I'm not sure if it had made a dfference if everyone had been attacking Pitt. The combination of Monk, dexer, and Epic Dodge made him less of a target for me, especially with the little technicality that gave second place 100k gold.
That said, it's never going to be fair. Monks win. If no monks are there, the dexers win. I imagine a high DR, say, DwD with DR equip might have been crazy there, since he would take no damage. Likely deal none either though. As a small fun little thing, it succeeded though.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 13:05 PM 

Player

The bare knuckle brawl I came up with inside ten minutes and tried to discourage the lone monk from entering on the grounds I knew he'd win, but no one seemed to care IC or OOC, and I was going to defer the prize if he won (which he did, and I did) so I ultimately wasn't too worried. I suggested the fist fight mostly specifically because no monks had entered, so it would be on more even-ish ground.

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 14:40 PM 

Player

I love the new time stop rule; it helps to make it a bit more level for noncasters who have zero way to go against that.

As far as the brawl, while I sat it out (dinner arrived just as it was getting ready to start), I saw nothing at all wrong with it and actually hope it becomes a part of future tournaments. To me, it's just a simple, fun way to get out there and have a true, old fashioned dust up.

Thanks again for hosting it, Tormak and for everyone who participated this time; it was a lot of fun! :)

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 14:42 PM 

Player

It was a brutal revelation that Budly is truely a horrible build. He might only be 25 but he got beaten to a pulp by every single participant.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 15:01 PM 

Player

CrazyCatLady wrote:
As far as the brawl, while I sat it out (dinner arrived just as it was getting ready to start), I saw nothing at all wrong with it and actually hope it becomes a part of future tournaments. To me, it's just a simple, fun way to get out there and have a true, old fashioned dust up.

That is actually what I meant. It was good for that. It did that really well. All I mean is that it is not much more than that: Pure fun. It's not balanced. (Doesn't need to be, like CCL said, would be fun as a permanent addition, just not neccessesarily for a million coins reward)

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 15:07 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
New rule: 1 successful timestop per caster, per match.

max IGMS may end up on chopping block

no other changes

one time stop seems ok.

don't really think igms needs to go.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 23:19 PM 

Player

im actually on board for just barring time-stop all together.

while out in the wild it's not nearly as big of a deal, in a setting like this (that is, the arena with everyone knowing their starting positions) conditions to time-stop damage-floor are just ideal and there's not that much you can do to avoid it.

Additionally, I'd be for banning the faerie dragon due to confusion bolt;

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Confusion_bolt

It ignores mind immunity so it can hit shit it shouldn't and pierces mind blanks, it is a touch attack so it's going to hit, and doesn't have a save or respect SR.

I'm also open to banning everything like that, stuff that just doesn't work like it should due to oversights. So if you have some strat or trick you know about that's filthy post about it, because there is some of that in this game.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 23:33 PM 

Player

Also: After receiving a few requests, the next tournament will have 2 divisions: One "Fettered" and one "Unleashed".

The "Fettered" division, all buffs and abilities must come from items or non-magical character sources, such as monk techs, assassin techs, Knight Commander auras, or barbarian rages. No magic that doesn't come from an item or potion is allowed. No wands or scrolls - all else, like gauntlets, trinkets, etc, is fine, but no wands or scrolls. This means a sorceror could enter Fettered if they wanted, but couldn't cast or summon anything, and would just need to use items and whatever's in their hands.

The "Unleashed" division is the current free-for-all division with no holds barred with the One Timestop Only restriction. All wands, scrolls, and spells may be used.

PCs may enter in both divisions but may not win both Grand Prizes. If the same PC wins both divisions, the Grand Prize will be deferred to second place down in the bracket of the audience's choosing, by full audience vote.

I am looking for opinions on things that may not be immediately obvious on whether or not they should be banned from Fettered. These are things like: Shapeshifting, Divine Might/Shield, Divine Champion abilities, Shadowdancer abilities, specifically Cleric Domain abilities, and so on. I am also looking for opinions on if the group believes wands and scrolls should stay banned. I banned them because I felt it might give UMD too much of an unfair step up.

However,
If I don't get enough interest to do two divisions by the next tournament, they will be either: Folded back into one division, or run as two separate round robin divisions, rather than the standard double elimination format.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 02 2017, 23:37 PM 

Player

unfettered, going to have problems with spells on items.

why not just say you can only use spells on yourself, and no summons, for that division?

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 03 2017, 0:13 AM 

Player

Item saves are garbage, I don't think it will be an issue, and the CLs are junky so they buffs won't last long.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 03 2017, 0:15 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Item saves are garbage, I don't think it will be an issue, and the CLs are junky so they buffs won't last long.

i mean if i have 'invisibility' on my bracers can i use them

how about my guard insignia?

or my 'darkness' hat?

that's what I mean about spells on items.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 03 2017, 3:07 AM 

Player

my rules literally said it's allowed, yes, that is the point.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 03 2017, 3:10 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
my rules literally said it's allowed, yes, that is the point.

well yeah that's the point I guess.

if someone has an obscure item that does, say, improved invis, they can use it. but someone who doesn't have that specific obscure item, and just a wand, they are fucked and can't use imp invis.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 03 2017, 3:32 AM 

Player

Invis purge is on many easily gotten items. Not worried. Same for Darkness/True Sight.

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 11 2017, 0:40 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
im actually on board for just barring time-stop all together.

while out in the wild it's not nearly as big of a deal, in a setting like this (that is, the arena with everyone knowing their starting positions) conditions to time-stop damage-floor are just ideal and there's not that much you can do to avoid it.

Additionally, I'd be for banning the faerie dragon due to confusion bolt;

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Confusion_bolt

It ignores mind immunity so it can hit shit it shouldn't and pierces mind blanks, it is a touch attack so it's going to hit, and doesn't have a save or respect SR.

I'm also open to banning everything like that, stuff that just doesn't work like it should due to oversights. So if you have some strat or trick you know about that's filthy post about it, because there is some of that in this game.

just tested this, despite numerous people telling me it does not respect mind blank, it does.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, May 23 2017, 22:35 PM 

Player

In case anyone cared, btw:

I stopped because I had zero signups out of game, no response to PMs, no one interested in making prizes or trophies or doing RP, and no interest shown in game. This tells me I ran my course through.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, May 23 2017, 22:52 PM 

Player

Need some help with it? I could help. I got a Cleric of Tempus that could maybe be of some use. Budly or Jron would probably not really be helpful. Budly would sign up again although to test his new "skills and tricks" he learned of late.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 2:05 AM 

Player

I got plenty of offers for help or coordination, but in the end either they don't respond to me or don't show up, except for Ruce, who came to some of the tournaments and gave some ideas for events that I did end up using (thanks!).

The thing is: I don't really need help coordinating, both IC or OOC. Korthan accepts the offers for help because it's polite and maybe helps garner interest. But the truth of the matter is as follows: What I actually need to run the tournaments, both IC and OOC, is people willing to fight, and people who want to create trophies for the tournament, because grinding out epic loot to hand out for trophies is boring as hell, both as prizes and for me. It was my hope that I could involve people who don't like the PvP part by offering to acknowledge their RP stuff, like painting, or crafting, or etc, but I'm not sure if it was because Korthan is Korthan, or if it's just because people weren't interested. The same goes for fighting. The big IC pushback I got was "I don't want other people to see how I fight". That's a totally respectable line of logic, and I'm not downing on anyone for choosing it - but when I get 35+ spectators and 6 fighters, and the first number keeps getting bigger and the second number gets smaller, it makes it hard to run anything. Everyone wants to watch but no one wants to participate, is the feeling I tend to gather. Again, i'm not sure if it was that, or if it's because I play Korthan, and maybe a completely TN character with no morals or ethics or faction-ism would have done better.

So that's the real issue. If you want to run it yourself, you got my full blessing. I just use the bracket maker at Challonge.com. That does 75% of the work on game night for you.

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 13:30 PM 

Player

I honestly do not think anyone would come to something hosted by me. People tend to not really come to shit I host (atleast not on my last server). Budly would probably not either host one event either. And he is my most known character. The others are nobodies with no legitimicy to pull people to an event.

Nor can I craft anything on my characters. I could offer up some DCs f or something unique to give to the winner although. That part I could help with, just pulling an "found in some deep cave/bought from a strange old woman on a market in putinnamehere".

I also revamped Budly so I would love to try out the new build, if he can defeat someone now.

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 13:50 PM 

Player

I generally love tournaments and have entered many in the past. Why haven't I signed up for yours?

Two reasons...

The main character I would want to enter (read: the character who I think has a chance of doing well enough), is a gold DD. It's not really a gold thing to enter tournaments so much, especially one hosted by a blue! Don't get me wrong, in my head, I've wrestled with how to rationalize her entering.

But... even if I could figure out why she would enter, they've been on days that I had to work. So... I couldn't go no matter what.

That's just me though, I can't speak for anyone else. My playtimes are about as random as can be these days.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 14:10 PM 

Player

Pretty much same as Budly here. I'm uncreative, my characters generally don't craft, and I don't really have DCs either...

I really enjoyed the tourney I was at, and was certainly wondering whether more would be hosted. :(

The first two, I sadly couldn't make. On the other hand, I think I'd come even if the reward was a decent gold reward, which could be made up of donations and/or entrance fees.

Dunecat

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 17:49 PM 

Player

A shame, really. But then again, tournaments can occur only ever so often to remain interesting and relevant.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Wed, May 24 2017, 18:00 PM 

Player

I would go and lose with no honor, but last I checked tournaments start at 2 am :D

CET time zone

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3