View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ] 
walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:32 PM 

Player

Please cut it out, if you have OOC issue with what was posted IC make a new OOC post about it so those of us who might like to react to the IC are not put off by the huge volumes of continued OOC chatter! Wasn't there a post somewhere stating that OOC discussions shouldn't be made in IC threads? I don't mind the odd OOC pointer to explain or highlight but seriously guys... long OOC posts!? :shock:

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:38 PM 

Player

not disagreeing with you perse but calling bs in the thread is the easiest way to get the conversation going.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:42 PM 

Player

Pretty sure there was a forum rule somewhere about it, and seriously calling bs in an IC thread does little than piss those of us off who would like to ICly post and not have our posts drowned out by OOC disagreement. If a discussion is worth having people will find your post rather than people stirring crap just to be notice in IC threads. :shock:

It actually discourages IC posting which seems to be part of the issue in the first place!

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:55 PM 

Player

The motive is consistency not shit stirring.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 13:05 PM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
The motive is consistency not shit stirring.

Problem is that perceived consistency disrupts the continuation of something else, even stops it n most cases which then creates this feeling I now have... 'why should I bother?'... OOC has its place and that isn't in the middle of IC dialogue. :?

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 13:41 PM 

Player

I presume im tied to this issue somehow. Im all for having an OOC discussion in a thread for it. Opinions clash, such is life! We can all still smile and wave at the end of it hopefully.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

DukeDublin

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 13:56 PM 

Player

A certain thread blew up, most of the issue was handled well by Amarice who offered clarification to those who asked. By observation, one could infer that players made observations with their assumptions and proceeded to start an argument. That's just my take on things - ask a DM first before storming the gates.

Fymor Trueshot

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 14:10 PM 

Player

DukeDublin wrote:
A certain thread blew up, most of the issue was handled well by Amarice who offered clarification to those who asked. By observation, one could infer that players made observations with their assumptions and proceeded to start an argument. That's just my take on things - ask a DM first before storming the gates.

I do feel like this is partially aimed at me. When I asumed it was empty on Budly few months ago, I was told by players, it is not so in a ooc post. So from then on, I been playing like there is people living there and not just a empty husk that people can enter on a whim to defile.

Overall, from an external perspective, Drow character got it rough around here. Seemingly The Shrine of Eilistraee is free to be attacked, the Underdark lost Ultrinnan and now the newer much smaller settlement from what I understand. I say, the Drow knows how to "toughen" up with all this thrown at them.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 14:46 PM 

Player

Yeah.

Surface drows do have it a bit tough. Which gives Drow characters plenty of RP to build up their defense. Find political aid through diplomatic negotiations.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:15 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
Yeah.

Surface drows do have it a bit tough. Which gives Drow characters plenty of RP to build up their defense. Find political aid through diplomatic negotiations.

Thats funny! Since Drow and allies are hard to get. They are Drow after all.

You should know! Necroface! Being 10% undead with that arm is also a deterent for allies ;)

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:21 PM 

Player

I play a sarcastic Palemaster who summons Undead, Demons, and doesn't care what he says to anyone and I manage to do a lot of things IG.

Literally the only barrier you'll face IG is what you create. If you want to do something, do it. Some paths take longer than others, but either way you'll meet your goal.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:24 PM 

Player

and Im sorry if anyone at the Shrine felt as if we older players who returned recently is bullying ourself through things. That is not the deal here and I hope everyone in the Shrine community feel welcomed and can find this as a catalyst for more RP! I am sorry if I managed to make people leave or drop their Shrine of Eilistraee characters. Budly is after all a hin and he to me, should maybe not ever have a power position in such a place where Drow is the dominant race and one of few relief zones for them upon Faerun.

Quote:
I play a sarcastic Palemaster who summons Undead, Demons, and doesn't care what he says to anyone and I manage to do a lot of things IG.

Literally the only barrier you'll face IG is what you create. If you want to do something, do it. Some paths take longer than others, but either way you'll meet your goal.

Yeah I get that. Im just a very sceptical person in real life, tend to be a pessimist so things look grim to me always. Cause I have a hard time seeing anyone above evil being a friend of demon summoning, undead raising people. But that is as I say, just an opinion.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:30 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
I presume im tied to this issue somehow. Im all for having an OOC discussion in a thread for it. Opinions clash, such is life! We can all still smile and wave at the end of it hopefully.

Certainly not singled out on my part, the over all intent being to ask that it stops so the IC can continue. I don't mind OOC discussion but it was starting to flood an IC thread with long posts which detracted from the threads overall intent. I agree, opinions clash but we have separate IC and OOC areas on the board for a reason. Your certainly not the only person nor the last and I certainly hold no ill, I just saw it getting out of hand. :)

The Shrine thread certainly isn't the only thread lately which has fallen to OOC and I'm not too sure if we have any general forum mods to help keep things... tidy and on track.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:32 PM 

Player

Budly, I feel the same with Shana. For as much as she follows at the end of the day she isn't a Drow and in her mind that will always be a barrier even if others claim it should never be!

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:33 PM 

Player

Nope, no forum mods anymore. Only DMs which kind of makes their jobs very diverse. Which in turn increases burnout.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:38 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Budly wrote:

Certainly not singled out on my part, the over all intent being to ask that it stops so the IC can continue. I don't mind OOC discussion but it was starting to flood an IC thread with long posts which detracted from the threads overall intent. I agree, opinions clash but we have separate IC and OOC areas on the board for a reason. Your certainly not the only person nor the last and I certainly hold no ill, I just saw it getting out of hand. :)

The Shrine thread certainly isn't the only thread lately which has fallen to OOC and I'm not too sure if we have any general forum mods to help keep things... tidy and on track.

I see what you mean! I was thinking of starting an ooc thread but I felt that I already had been having big open ooc discussions about things so I felt I would step back a bit and just keep it low profile in the Shrine thread. So Im sorry about the ooc post from my side! :)

walnutboy wrote:
Budly, I feel the same with Shana. For as much as she follows at the end of the day she isn't a Drow and in her mind that will always be a barrier even if others claim it should never be!

Yeah! Drow already have it bad so giving them some space to do their thing is nice. Budly can always go bumble around Bendir Dale being an halfling and all! But Shana and Budly are still being faithfuls of course. Supportive Honourary Drow! :D

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:39 PM 

Player

There are PC's living there yes. However you can not disregard some one's roleplay and say it 'couldn't have happened because so and so would have heard / seen it'.

In truth no one was there at the time and could not allocate for what their pc's 'could have done' because they simply weren't there.

As rule of thumb you can only act and respond to intervene something that is happening in game at that moment, whilst being in game. When some one does something in game when no one's around and posts a notification you simply can't say it didn't happen or couldn't have happened. There is very little information given by the post in question so in truth you really don't know that character's stats or classes or any of that. The could have a hide / move silent score way beyond any pc that would be there and on top of that it wouldn't matter because you simply can't be around at all times. They took advantage of a quiet time and responded to something that was written up in an In character manner.

On top of that it's very poor to go OOC in and IC thread. It ruins the flow of the thread and makes things awards and clutters the place up for other players who want to be immersed in the small 'updates' that have been going on.

As rule of thumb do not write OOC in IC threads. It's poor forum etiquette and it's impolite to other users who want to use that thread for it's intended purpose. If there is a matter where something may need to be fixed clarified or altered bring it up to a dungeon master about some one's IC behaviors in posts and they will handle it. Sheeler and Amarice both did a fine job of clarifying what needed to be clarified after the fact.

Picking up on the Context Clues of Ama's post it states the post in question was altered to fit something appropriate to the dm's standards for what happened. Just take a moment and reread it and think about how your characters would respond or feel about what happened. Perhaps have you characters question why it happened and decide what your -characters- are going to do about it if they do not like what happened.

The Drowess player made a post for the drowess based on what they would do. That's golden right there. Keep going with the flow. There is no need to bring up ooc in an ic thread. It simple does not belong there and creates a mess.

As for older players showing up and pretty much nestling right in it creates a tear with the pc's that are there. Try and stay around a little longer for a month and study and talk to the pc's that show up and ask them what they are doing there and how thinsg are. Right now it's very clear that these older pc's don't have a good grasp on all that's happened or what the current situation is aside from word of mouth and hear say for the most part. I encourage you to try immersing yourself further in to the community and speaking with the pc's you know about what's been going on and finding about about what other possible pc's there are and trying to make that connection.

It comes off as arring and strange when older pc's walk in to a place and act like they own it and talk to people who are living there as guests... when they have already been living there and have no idea who these old pc's are.

The old ties to the shrine are pretty much non existent. It may be tough to adapt because you remember as it was; however things are most certainly different.

On top of that keep in mind the player base has players that play at different times and nearly never have their pc's interact because they simply are not on the same time frame doing things in the same area. This is why Nil Rith'tar and imm are all about at different times and may not know much of one another aside from what the forum ic thread offers.

The forum ic thread offers a small bridging method to help fill the gap of pc's who simply can not be on at the same time to keep every one informed on what's going on.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Akhlys

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:41 PM 

Player

less ooc is better, quit dragging in game shit out and trying to fisrupt narrative flow

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:48 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
There are PC's living there yes. However you can not disregard some one's roleplay and say it 'couldn't have happened because so and so would have heard / seen it'.

In truth no one was there at the time and could not allocate for what their pc's 'could have done' because they simply weren't there.

As rule of thumb you can only act and respond to intervene something that is happening in game at that moment, whilst being in game. When some one does something in game when no one's around and posts a notification you simply can't say it didn't happen or couldn't have happened. There is very little information given by the post in question so in truth you really don't know that character's stats or classes or any of that. The could have a hide / move silent score way beyond any pc that would be there and on top of that it wouldn't matter because you simply can't be around at all times. They took advantage of a quiet time and responded to something that was written up in an In character manner.

On top of that it's very poor to go OOC in and IC thread. It ruins the flow of the thread and makes things awards and clutters the place up for other players who want to be immersed in the small 'updates' that have been going on.

As rule of thumb do not write OOC in IC threads. It's poor forum etiquette and it's impolite to other users who want to use that thread for it's intended purpose. If there is a matter where something may need to be fixed clarified or altered bring it up to a dungeon master about some one's IC behaviors in posts and they will handle it. Sheeler and Amarice both did a fine job of clarifying what needed to be clarified after the fact.

Picking up on the Context Clues of Ama's post it states the post in question was altered to fit something appropriate to the dm's standards for what happened. Just take a moment and reread it and think about how your characters would respond or feel about what happened. Perhaps have you characters question why it happened and decide what your -characters- are going to do about it if they do not like what happened.

The Drowess player made a post for the drowess based on what they would do. That's golden right there. Keep going with the flow. There is no need to bring up ooc in an ic thread. It simple does not belong there and creates a mess.

As for older players showing up and pretty much nestling right in it creates a tear with the pc's that are there. Try and stay around a little longer for a month and study and talk to the pc's that show up and ask them what they are doing there and how thinsg are. Right now it's very clear that these older pc's don't have a good grasp on all that's happened or what the current situation is aside from word of mouth and hear say for the most part. I encourage you to try immersing yourself further in to the community and speaking with the pc's you know about what's been going on and finding about about what other possible pc's there are and trying to make that connection.

It comes off as arring and strange when older pc's walk in to a place and act like they own it and talk to people who are living there as guests... when they have already been living there and have no idea who these old pc's are.

The old ties to the shrine are pretty much non existent. It may be tough to adapt because you remember as it was; however things are most certainly different.

On top of that keep in mind the player base has players that play at different times and nearly never have their pc's interact because they simply are not on the same time frame doing things in the same area. This is why Nil Rith'tar and imm are all about at different times and may not know much of one another aside from what the forum ic thread offers.

The forum ic thread offers a small bridging method to help fill the gap of pc's who simply can not be on at the same time to keep every one informed on what's going on.

Honestly, why is this different from NPCs? You know the NPCs are there 24/7, there is people in the Shrine 24/7 cause when people are logged off, I assume they are in their home, defending their home, eating in their home, raising their childreni n their home

Quote:
less ooc is better, quit dragging in game shit out and trying to fisrupt narrative flow

I would mind if you do not put your nose in this. You and your monk friends are already on a thin line with this ooc talk with how you people escape jails and what not with from a viewpoint, abusive manners.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:51 PM 

Player

Because no one is ever present 100% of the time. If you want to stop something from happening on line. Be on line. You can't just meta and god game w/e is happening. If you are not there to represent it you are not there. Straight and simple. There are no NPC's there as guards.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 15:52 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
Because no one is ever present 100% of the time. If you want to stop something from happening on line. Be on line. You can't just meta and god game w/e is happening. If you are not there to represent it you are not there. Straight and simple. There are no NPC's there as guards.

If it is a living quarter, and such a small area. And it been officially told it is active and open. I do expect it to always have people there.

Did the person even do this RP in game? How are you supposed to stop something NOT happening in game but only in a server post with some edgy remarks? EDIT: Said person who also took time to chisel it in on the Obsidian stone. That is noisy.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:02 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
PassionateShadow wrote:

If it is a living quarter, and such a small area. And it been officially told it is active and open. I do expect it to always have people there.

Did the person even do this RP in game? How are you supposed to stop something NOT happening in game but only in a server post with some edgy remarks?

Obviously you did not bother to look at the post in question. There are screen shots. It happened in game and the screen shots were posted to inform others of what transpired in the absence of PC's. What what done was done out side. The beds and resting quarters for pc's are in side and on the opposite side of the map most of these things were done on. So unless your pc's are some how omnipotent and can see and hear what's going on with out being there in game to represent them being there... it's god modding. That is against the rules of the server. Obviously they waited until it was quiet: IE no one's around so their PC's for intensive purposes are off screen and can not react to what's going on; Especially a subtle act of vandalism.You simply can't rp f you aren't there to rp. It's not as if some one created an earth quake on the grounds. You can't just take OOC info and refuse to acknowledge it because you do not like what had happened.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:08 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
Budly wrote:
PassionateShadow wrote:

Did the person even do this RP in game? How are you supposed to stop something NOT happening in game but only in a server post with some edgy remarks?

Obviously you did not bother to look at the post in question. There are screen shots. It happened in game and the screen shots were posted to inform others of what transpired in the absence of PC's. What what done was done out side. The beds and resting quarters for pc's are in side and on the opposite side of the map most of these things were done on. So unless your pc's are some home omnipotent and can see and hear what's going on with out being there in game to represent them being there... it's god modding. That is against the rules of the server. Obviously they waited until it was quiet: IE no one's around so their PC's for intensive purposes are off screen and can not react to what's going on; Especially a subtle act of vandalism.You simply can't rp f you aren't there to rp. It's not as if some one created an earth quake on the grounds. You can't just take OOC info and refuse to acknowledge it because you do not like what had happened.

IN all honesty, I thought it was just another coloured text.

What is god modding? SO is ignoring a society with dozens of people living there. On this server, there seem to be an mentality that if the player is not online, the characters sleep in some kind of pocket plane or do their "dull paper work" inside one. As I said earlier. Had it happended in a back alley in Cordor, a large city I would not complain. But this is a small area with open spaces.

I really hope those guards come up soon, cause it seemingly needs to be a npc guard or else a area is undefended even if 200 players have charactrs living in a small camp of 100 meters.

Looking at the picture now, this is a very childish post. But I bet the Malarites are just angry they do not have a Shrine of their own or something.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:11 PM 

Player

Malatrites have their own map. It's called Forest of Despair.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:14 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
Malatrites have their own map. It's called Forest of Despair.

Good for them, perhaps then they can keep to their side and not conveniently drop out of the forest to do weird shit icly as soon as older players show up that makes people go very angry oocly. I am so sorry that we exist, Me and Ravenof but as soon as we show up people gets very frustrated.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:17 PM 

Player

You're getting defensive for no reason. We're happy more players came back to play Amia.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:18 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
You're getting defensive for no reason. We're happy more players came back to play Amia.

It do not always feel like it.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:26 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
IN all honesty, I thought it was just another coloured text.

What is god modding? SO is ignoring a society with dozens of people living there. On this server, there seem to be an mentality that if the player is not online, the characters sleep in some kind of pocket plane or do their "dull paper work" inside one. As I said earlier. Had it happended in a back alley in Cordor, a large city I would not complain. But this is a small area with open spaces.

I really hope those guards come up soon, cause it seemingly needs to be a npc guard or else a area is undefended even if 200 players have charactrs living in a small camp of 100 meters.

Looking at the picture now, this is a very childish post. But I bet the Malarites are just angry they do not have a Shrine of their own or something.

Try informing your self of the entire situation before writing. If you read further up in the thread you would know why it was done. I suggest you take a break and try to separate IC from OOC; the dm's made the call and now you're just arguing against it. It's very common Knowledge how things should be handled when pc's are on line and off line and what applies in what areas. No one is impenetrable. Had it happened with a DM Over site none of the pc's would be the wiser and worse damage could have been done incurring a mod change. Really you are making a mountain of a mole hill that was done for IC reasons and dragging out an OOC issue with how it was already handled by the DM's in charge of the server. The fact of the matter is there are no NPCs represented in game there. This means unless there are players on line you pretty much have free reign baring certain actions that would need dm over sight. DM over sight would be needed for things such as salting the fields, poisoning the water supply booby trapping the area and causing rather irreparable damage that can't simply be fixed in a few hours of clean up.

You have the equivalent of a punk teenager leaving a nasty message and a mild annoyance on their door step in retaliation for the slaughter of what their kin folk are considered when a taunting calling card was left.

Death of possible friends and family > Vandalism

I'm trying to explain why things are the way they are and I'm trying to give you good advice.

God modding In reference to

Quote:
Do not give god-like abilities to your characters. RPing isn’t about who can make up the best super powers for their characters, it’s about the personalities of the characters. Any character that is ridiculously powerful or has a perfect personality is going to be fairly boring to RP with and will end up being mostly ignored by others.

IE: Being omnipotent and knowing what happens some where when you aren't around for it.

There are already tons of situations where PC's should have been there in game to react but their players were simply not around. Most people try to be creative with why they weren't there such as some one not being able to attend a training session in a guard force when others were present. They simply do not have teh capability to be apart of what had happened then and there in game.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:30 PM 

Player

Comments are starting to get a bit out of hand. Why don't we all take a break from this thread?

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:33 PM 

Player

But while people sleep, it is okay to do that? Cause timezones are messy? If I post this, will it also work as a deterrent? Is it safe now? Or do I need a DM to "approve" Budly being a permantn "non npc" guard standing there 24/7 or something? This is silly.

http://imgur.com/a/K5IVd

Since seemingly taking a bite out of every apple, destroying all mushrooms and defiling a Idol takes 3 minutes if I post it in a screenshot.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 16:34 PM 

Player

LibrisMortis_666 wrote:
Comments are starting to get a bit out of hand. Why don't we all take a break from this thread?

You mister, are right. For the best.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 17:07 PM 

Player

Okay, Sorry about that. Sorry for being part of the escalation and sorry to anyone I was rude towards. It just been a bit chaotic considering this topic I was talking about.

Akhlys

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 22:30 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
Quote:

I would mind if you do not put your nose in this. You and your monk friends are already on a thin line with this ooc talk with how you people escape jails and what not with from a viewpoint, abusive manners.

1. I wasn't involved with Soren's capture or release on an in character or out of character level.
2. Who involved has made any indication that there was some sort of OOC foul play taking place? If no one, why are you bringing it up? Get over your little baby vendetta against us.

I think you have a very difficult understanding of what IC and OOC are, as you basically play the same person in game and on the forums. Slandering me in game is fine. Slandering me on the forums is not. If you are going to do so, at least give an example that makes some sort of sense rather than your typical inane ranting.

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 22:48 PM 

Player

Akhlys wrote:
Budly wrote:
Quote:

1. I wasn't involved with Soren's capture or release on an in character or out of character level.
2. Who involved has made any indication that there was some sort of OOC foul play taking place? If no one, why are you bringing it up? Get over your little baby vendetta against us.

I think you have a very difficult understanding of what IC and OOC are, as you basically play the same person in game and on the forums. Slandering me in game is fine. Slandering me on the forums is not. If you are going to do so, at least give an example that makes some sort of sense rather than your typical inane ranting.

Whatever you say mate.

Akhlys

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 22:50 PM 

Player

siq rebuttle home dog

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 22:52 PM 

Player

Let's just drop the previous topic. Seriously.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 23 2017, 22:54 PM 

Player

Let's just all agree to keep OOC in IC threads to a bare minimum. If you want to OOC about an IC thread, make a new thread about it. Makes sense, right? :)

/thread

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]