View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Terallis

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 7:23 AM 

Player

So, I had a thought and have actually been looking back into things I once knew how to do and, from reading over stuff, I remember how to do so once again. That, specifically, being hakpak editing.

Now, not saying I'm that good at it, but if it comes down to existing things, I can definitely compile stuff (models, tilesets, etc) into a single pack to be used. Likewise, I also know how to work stringrefs for the sake of proper referencing in the tlk file. I had actually done similar things when I played a server a few years back, when we were trying to overhaul the haks to make things more up to date and less stale.

So, my first thought is, "If I said I could add these tilesets into a compiled hak for the server, would people allow/want it?" Mainly because a lot of these could be used REALLY well, even for existing areas. Though, I can also understand any reluctance to overhaul existing areas with new tilesets at the same time. But, in this case, the idea would still be there. Tilesets, especially, are super easy to compile together and bring in as a new hak. At least if I remember correctly.

I'll likely do some messing around, of course, to make it all work. But in particular, while I was looking at a LOT of amazing tilesets, there are two existing (and rather famous) tileset packs, and a standalone one, that would cover a great deal on the server and just add to the overall flavour of everything. Of course, any tilesets that aren't needed can also be stripped with relative ease.

Rocky Mountains - Immersive Swamps - Hut Interiors - Marble Elven Interiors Redux

Lord of WoRm's Tilesets (This also has haks for a separate world, but it's the only migrated pack that includes all the Lord of WoRm's stuff, as well.)

Ship Interior Tileset

For more direct screenshots of some of the stuff within the first pack with Rocky Mountains and otherwise, their individual haks can be found in these places (specifically Rocky Mountains and the Elven Interiors):

Rocky Mountains

Marble Elven Interiors

So yeah! I know I'm not currently a dev or anything, but I figured I'd throw this out there either way. The idea of getting new content through haks is always a really nice thing. I'll do some more looking into things, as well, as I do also recall doing work on that same server for editing and changing around classes. But for specific referencing for scripts, that would require a lot more communication. I am no scripter, after all, so that sort of thing I might need more information about what sort of stuff to put where.

Also, I posted this publicly to also get a more general look on preferences. In the end, of course, it would be down to the devs for what to put in and all that, but still good to see how the players and DMs would see new stuff and all that!

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:20 AM 

Player

We already have so much content that we don't use. I don't think we should add more. We should QA what we do have, and fix bugs in the content we have, before we consider adding more.

Kamina

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:53 PM 

Player

I'm sure we already have immersive swamp tileset. The +4 Shadow Plane area uses it.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Terallis

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 18:02 PM 

Player

That's all fair! Overall, this was also a way to say that I'm going through what I used to know about hak editing, and may very well be able to assist with a fair number of things. I know how to edit 2das like for the classes and similar, proper referencing in the tlk, compiling haks themselves, etc.

I know it was mentioned we don't really have anyone that knows too much about working with haks, and it's more difficult to get hak updates on the server as of late. So I decided to refamiliarize myself with all of it, and am still re-learning things. But I do remember a great deal that I once knew so I can likely help with all that!

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 19:19 PM 

Player

Terallis wrote:
That's all fair! Overall, this was also a way to say that I'm going through what I used to know about hak editing, and may very well be able to assist with a fair number of things. I know how to edit 2das like for the classes and similar, proper referencing in the tlk, compiling haks themselves, etc.

I know it was mentioned we don't really have anyone that knows too much about working with haks, and it's more difficult to get hak updates on the server as of late. So I decided to refamiliarize myself with all of it, and am still re-learning things. But I do remember a great deal that I once knew so I can likely help with all that!

Dev Team= Apply! *nod nod* :)

Arkun

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 19:57 PM 

Player

CrazyCatLady wrote:
Terallis wrote:

Dev Team= Apply! *nod nod* :)

Heartily seconded. More dev members could never hurt, especially one who's doing their best to relearn all the hak stuff for updates.

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 21:03 PM 

Player

I already told him to apply! He made me listen to him talk about tilesets and HAKs all night. :roll:

He's gonna be the one who can help me learn HAKs, but it would also be great if he would ...... APPLY!

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

Terallis

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 21:37 PM 

Player

SamTheGiantSlayer wrote:
I already told him to apply! He made me listen to him talk about tilesets and HAKs all night. :roll:

He's gonna be the one who can help me learn HAKs, but it would also be great if he would ...... APPLY!

Gawd! FINE. JEEEEZ. I sent you one. So much nagging! (<3)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]