View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 7:24 AM 

Player

I am going to be opening a discussion aimed at the current dm team to help clarify some problems I have been struggling with over the past three years on Factions.

What is the current standing number of Players needed to form a faction?

How active must players be? Must they play every day of the week? Once or twice a week Once or twice a month?

What constitutes as a faction?

How can we get a Faction / donation chest IG for resource pooling?

Are there limitations ig and ooc about faction numbers and what constitutes as a faction? Are they different ig and ooc?

How can we find a DM who is interested with Player initiatives who can be nudged say once a month for review / advice or help?

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 8:44 AM 

Player

Now everyone who hangs out together can call themselves a faction or group.

The difference kicks in when you are a group that wants faction benefits.

Those are usually:

1. A private or public subforum just for your faction.
2. An own area, that is not simply covered by "I rent a house".
3. Donation chests, area changes, etc.

The current requirement of a faction has been lowered to a minimum of 4 active PC. Active means you do play regularly and continuingly, not just log onto an alt for an hour every now and then.

A full faction needs a goal or at the very least a theme. Something they do/want to do, a purpose so to say that exceeds, "we are buddies and just want our own playground where noone else can go".

Other restrictions are that a player can only ever lead 1 faction at a time. Also you are not allowed to have several characters of the same player in a faction.

Normally any DM can be nudged and asked for review or input/advice.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:36 AM 

Player

When you say active do you mean the character is generally active within the world regularly, ie you're playing or active actively doing faction specific stuff ie recruiting, planning, plotting, saving, building etc?

You used the term 'full faction' so I take that to mean half faction is a thing, perhaps a group one player shy of the requirement though no less active than a group with six? Or a group not seen as a faction, has no area or forum but has managed to be active enough with rp to request a donations chest? Or is it just a play on words?

Could I, in theory, form a group called the Drunkards Three whose goal is to sample the delights of every tap house, tavern and inn on Amia and promote the benefits of merriment through the consumption of excessive amounts of alcohol? While they call themselves three there could be more but they felt three sounded better as a name and they were never sure if the fourth person was real or an image induced by their environment!

Or does a faction need to be something more serious in nature?

Kamina

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:52 AM 

Player

No, a faction does not need to be serious and can be any size and activity. However if you wamt certain Faction perks, you need to fulfill the requirements Amarice mentioned.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:56 AM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
No, a faction does not need to be serious and can be any size and activity. However if you wamt certain Faction perks, you need to fulfill the requirements Amarice mentioned.

Good to know... seriously liking the idea of the Drunkards Three now! lol

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 14:56 PM 

Player

It also makes a good deal of sense for there to be a restriction on size before server resources/forum get allocated towards your faction specifically.
With smaller numbers, you can easily keep everything together with your own messageboard somewhere, discord channel or whatevs.
As for your own HQ, stuff like that takes time to build, and usually both manpower and resources so it makes sense for new factions to grow before getting stuff like that, and for the DM team to see that the faction is more than just a 1-2 month passtime before devwork like faction bases go into the module.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 21:50 PM 

Player

Also, and I only realized that just recently, the housing system is awesome. I maean, yes, prices might be a bit expensive, but if the leader (and every group has some sort of leader, and if it just is the person who is online most) collects some of the money that is gotten for that, you have a great base, that you can furnish to your hearts content. Or you can't, because like me, you want to refurnish. Oh, and the bed could go here. Or there. How about I put a plant here? No. Okay, here. Bed is better here. Table? Oh, I need a table. Bye rug, need to make place for a table. And chairs. And you can sit on the bed. A bookshelf. Table is better off here.

This is pretty much what my brain does when I'm looking at the housing system. And, nobody will have a base like yours. A dev will likely have his own ideas in there. But you? Free to do whatever you want. For pretty good prices if you can either solo brog orcs (which I see as one of the best places to farm money, if somewhere else is better go there) or have a group that each pays an amount of the base. Also, many, many areas have rental houses in them, so if you want to be Cordor-based, good. If you want to be away from those pesky paladins or those enervating elves, you can go to a place that is far enough away to be safe.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 11 2017, 21:54 PM 

Player

Using a big house with funds pooled from the 'faction' is something I've done on two characters across two factions until permanent structures were warranted, approved, and went in module. You can even give keys to people, and the house is physically represented, so it's not like you're really out anything by not having a base built new and fresh for you.

Also there are just unused faction donation boxes just out there. By bendir Bay there's a box called 'peace mountain' that just has like four total people that ever put stuff in it. Just use that place, stuffs already there.

Alternatively you can camp a place with a box that's already in game. Kilmar did this with the mage Academy, I have an area and a donation box now.

Just go out there and look. Use existing stuff. It's fun and rp based around places not made to your exact specs gives you more to do.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]