View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

What do you want to see improved most?
More player events which simply have DM support. 18%  18%  [ 22 ]
More DM events, which are individual for players/factions. 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
More DM events, which are server wide. 25%  25%  [ 30 ]
More random NPC posessions. 13%  13%  [ 15 ]
Amia being more lore-heavy. 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Amia being less lore-heavy. 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
More / new items. 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
More new areas. 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Less areas in general. 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
DC prize reduction for RP items. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Make optical familiar/companion customization on character creation free for more individuality. 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
More variety in bosses. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 120
Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 22:25 PM 

Player

MisterLich wrote:
Arelith: Mechanics > flavor. Elections? Scripted in-game. Job system? Mechanically important - you can't survive, literally, without it, and much of the best gear in the game is from the job system itself. Custom requests? Don't really exist except for people sacrificing a level 30 char, and succeeding on a 5% roll afterwards. Leveling? Slower, because when everybody is epic level, nobody is. Faction bases? Scripted in-game. Faction messages? Scripted in-game. Custom quests and events? Not often - make your own quests and get together with players.

I'm sure both dev/DM teams on both servers have issues, and I'm sure Arelith has at least as much OOC drama and crap as we do, if not more. But, they have a different way of playing. Everything relies on the characters. On Amia, a lot of things rely on DM's.

Never played Arelith. But if the above is true, I'm very, VERY tempted. Because 90% of the points above I've suggested in the past in an attempt to make Amia more Mhmmm!

To name a few and round it up:

- Slower XP rate gain. And ideally, no xp gain above lvl 20, 21+ levels only via. DCs, so that Epic PCs would mean something. Right now they mean nothing, as anyone with a bit of a patience for grind can be a 30 in a week. Not to mention that you can just join your buddy and have him harvesting scrubs (for him, for you deadly enemies) while you are picking your nose and watching Netflix in the corner. Biggest mistake ever - removing of the 5 level cap for party xp.
- Player ruled events with DM supervision, not DM ruled events with player participation (if that makes any sense :oops: ) - including server-wide plots. More consequences for playerbase, but caused by a playerbase as well.
- Updated Job system (HUGE potentional there...). As it stands now it's barely a "flavour". I know the job system was abused in the past, and is very outdated, but perhaps in the future we can check it again and work on it a bit, make it more interesting... ?

As for custom requests, I'd like to see them DC free - but way stricter AND private. You want to play an unique class / race / whatever - sure, but prepare a neat and deep concept and have it approved, if you're worth it, privately. So it's really "yours" and not just anybody can replicate it in the near future.
DC cost only on special gear and items that give you in game advantage AND I'd very much consider raising the cost of them.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 22:48 PM 

Player

Quote:
- Player ruled events with DM supervision, not DM ruled events with player participation (if that makes any sense :oops: ) - including server-wide plots. More consequences for playerbase, but caused by a playerbase as well.

Amia has had plenty of these player ruled events, though they tend to be very social-oriented. Personally I think both have a place on a RP server, certain narratives are best done by DM's, while others might be possible with players.

To sum it up though, I think what differentiate the two serves is causality. Amia is a more casual experience, within limits you can pretty much build and make the kind of character you want. On Arelith however, it seems like your characters skills are more enforced mechanically. What I mean is that on Amia you just need some points in a job-system to be a master swordsmith, or skillpoints in the create weapon skill. Arelith on the other hand, I imagine that the jobs are much more enforced mechanically, not anyone can become a master swordsmith, and it requires work and grinding to make your character become one.

Personally though, I hate grinding, especially when it's super slow, or doesn't feel very rewarding or fun. Arelith is not for me.

corypx

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 22:58 PM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
- Updated Job system (HUGE potentional there...). As it stands now it's barely a "flavour". I know the job system was abused in the past, and is very outdated, but perhaps in the future we can check it again and work on it a bit, make it more interesting... ?

Oh the job system used to be super exploited...hell some people did not even hide the factand we luckily had Tormak,Mosh...ect on the team to slap them upside the head tell them no to their job log resets.

From the sounds of it their job system really does stuff, ours not so much and that was from what I recall when we were testing it for the reason to prevent select groups of people being able to get a advantage of player numbers ((AKA if it made anything useful, evil would never get its hands on anything because they are outnumbered like 20 to 1)) I might have to head over there and see how it works.

But by not making the jobs here do anything we more or less have no one to do any of them because as much as people hate grinding for exp and gold, job system grinding is even worse as you have to sit in a spot and click something every 2 mins for anywhere up to 20mins per node....not to mention chance of failing based off ranks and limited points....ect hence why most people zerg rushing the job system traders after reset.... causing the server to crash/not reset well to the point where if I recall correct Glim threatened to remove the job system NPCs from having the limited respawning stock at resets.

I remember back in my WoW days at least grinding for ore,herbs...ect was not as bad because you would collect it and it would respawn somewhere else on the map so you were at least moving around looking for it so it did not feel at dull.

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 23:10 PM 

Player

Yeah, I absolutely agree that the Job system should not serve as a XP grind. Not at all, and I am glad the changes were made.

But I'd like it to actually somehow enrich and spice up the server. Like, for example, a superior - yet plain, non-enchanted - adamantine sword crafted by a master that can take an additional mythal slot level, if you know what I mean. So that having a master smith or weapon maker or whatever it is called now would actually prove useful, if only slightly.
As it stands now, nobody is buying custom made things (take that "nobody" with a grain of salt, please. I know it's not literally nobody...), but having the items having a slight advantage would make them more appealing to the masses. That and it will make mythalling even more popular as well (as it should be, because mythalling is one of the golden ideas on Amia).

I love Scribe job, for example, that allows you to custom your gear description. THAT's what I call flavour and the right way to look.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 23:16 PM 

Player

In our defense, Arelith is comparitively a low magic server, so forging an adamantine weapon there grants like +3 AB and +6 damage on a weapon, because you can't really enchant more than... I don't remember, I don't think you can enchant enhancement bonuses at all.

And only a master enchanter can put two +1 stat bonuses on items.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with a longbow that has +3 WIS and +5 AB, which would be more valuable than a city on Arelith, lol.

Their spells also use up spell components past like level 6. Level 7 and up, and I think you need spell components, which are made via the job system.

Many potions and consumables like healing kits are made via the job system.

Furniture used to RP faction bases are used in the job system, which to be fair Amia also has.

Magic items and even A HAND CANNON and it's ammo are made via Arelith's job system.

Their job system is just completely different lol. It's meant to be an integral mechanical part of the game. Ours is meant to help fuel your DM-required custom requests for the most part, again a symptom of the different play philosophies: On Arelith, you're playing with other players, and DM's are there to manage the server and discipline rule breakers. On Amia, you're playing with other players, and DM's are there to facilitate your gameplay.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Sat, May 27 2017, 23:47 PM 

Player

Arelith sounds like place to be. :) Thx for the tip.

I think Amia could use more mechanics in some manners.
For example notice boards and auction houses. Notice boards basically exist just in the forum, so one is really making any effort of travelling around Amia and leaving replies. They just spam in the forum, even if they did not log into the game in weeks.
Auction houses - with multiple time zones, it can be pain in the rear end, to find that trader for specific gear.
Jobs - to this day I dont get, if they are just to support your RP and asking for special stuff via DC, or if it actually produces something useful beyond mythal bags.

Balance and feeling - to be honest, Amia is just super fast and super easy. I cherish dearly memory of me and my two friends being on our way to take down Maximus with average lvl of 19 (before the changes of lvl difference and party size) and meeting group of some paladins annoucing they are all top lvl. I was proud to go into Abyss with my buddies. But once the limitations were took down, I went few times, but it was usually like being part of zerg hive. 7 characters at least, half of them with summon or two, just stomping it all down.
Amia is fun, but it is all super fast and in a way super easy. Sure in the beginning you need to find out who does what, but after that you just grind and grind. Being high magic server, where even wariors with no will can just chug down few potions and run through everything... easy.

Note - I came back, cause it is easy. I want to relax while playing NWN, cause I love the game and on Amia I can solo to the top and not really worry too much. RP wise I have no chance here to get any good status or hang out with the right people :D Honestly all my DCs were gained in a way "standing in the group of long time and probably popular players, not RPing much of my character" even though I often RPed out very deep and interesting situation.

Relevels - honestly, I am waiting basically a week for something, that many other worlds have automatically. "You want to start over? Same stats and first class - therefore more or less the same thing? Here, use NPC in OOC starting location, no need to bother DMs. But you can do it again only after two more months."

My point - maybe bit more challenge. Long dungeon, with "traps" (not only mechanical red squares), riddles, requireing party of 3 or 5 at minimum, having boss that is not only strong mechanically (Majesty has what? 5 ruins? And after that she must be super boring kill, if you actually decide to bother with her and not go with just many other bosses), but he might have something interesting about him... example:
I remember this one "perfect" dungeon on first world I ever played on. It was basically ruin of ancient evil empire. The ruin served to create and "repair" undead. Fun part - magic was still active. So on low lvl world, with realistic chance of reaching lvl 23, we had party of lvls 19, 19 and 20 (aka high lvls) and we had hard time with group of mid lvl zombies. Challenge was, that any undead was "healed" to maximum HP each 2 or 3 rounds. And those were just zombies and more deep we went, more tougher monsters we found.

CET time zone

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, May 29 2017, 3:25 AM 

Developer

I feel the most important part that needs to be addressed pertains to the DM event stories, whether one-off or huge arcs.

As most of you know (and are probably tired of hearing about) I have had a long association with professional wrestling. In wrestling you have a booker that gives you the general arc of how things are going to work over the course of anywhere from the next show to the next year. There is an overall goal in mind from the perspective of the fans, whether to run a particular guy out of town or the good guys getting the title back from the dirty heel. From the perspective of the business itself you had to put out an interesting product to get the people coming back; it might say WRESTLING on the marquee but just below that is TICKETS AVAILABLE AT BOX OFFICE.

In respect to the long term things you can look back to the days of the nWo vs. WCW, the Four Horsemen vs. Sting, the Midnights vs. Punky & Hoot, Graham and Malenko, Hogan and Savage, Lawler and Dundee. These feuds lasted years and in some cases decades. The reason why these feuds were able to draw money is because there was always something left to prove, something left to fight for. Sure you saw them go at it a dozen times but what's one more when the last twelve were so great. Ultimately there was a winner and there was a loser. This fed into the next epic story to be told. It had a tremendous impact on everything else around it and forced it to elevate itself to be noticed which made everybody better.

As great as those feuds were they couldn't take up the entire two hours of a card every week whether you were in Fort Homer Hesterly Armory or in Madison Square Garden. You had your side matches. Sure, maybe they made some sense like when the guy working a patriotic or veteran gimmick took on a sheikh or a commie. More often than not there was no more story to be told than what you had that night; white meat babyface versus crafty veteran heel, eight to ten minutes, baby over with a backslide. You wouldn't get that same match week after week because it was just there to fill up time and, while it may be exciting, maybe ten percent of your crowd will have wanted to see that while everybody wanted to see the main event. Still, it kept the people engaged and gave those involved some entertainment while overall not being important to the overall arc... for that show. Maybe that match was a guy's first victory, maybe he tried a new move and it got over. It may help flavor things far down the road.

Much the same we should have a massive server event that is long-running and that everybody should want to turn out to see and find a way in which to be involved. Since that can't take up every minute of every day it should be peppered with small events in between. Are the events related to the big tamale? Is it a red herring? The only way to know is to be there and take part. Those small events will allow characters to enhance themselves. Maybe someone showed great leadership or acted rashly. Maybe someone gets upset with a companion being a glory hound and turns away from them. How a character reacts to a certain situation in which he finds himself is just as telling as how he proceeds when he initiates the action. These small events add sizzle to the steak the same as the undercard enhances the main event.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, May 29 2017, 11:37 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
To name a few and round it up:

- Slower XP rate gain. And ideally, no xp gain above lvl 20, 21+ levels only via. DCs, so that Epic PCs would mean something. Right now they mean nothing, as anyone with a bit of a patience for grind can be a 30 in a week. Not to mention that you can just join your buddy and have him harvesting scrubs (for him, for you deadly enemies) while you are picking your nose and watching Netflix in the corner. Biggest mistake ever - removing of the 5 level cap for party xp.

This would literally kill the server because of it's age. It would do nothing but serve to punish new player characters and new players on a 10+ year old established server with thousands of max level characters in vaults existing now.

The rest of your suggestions are pretty cool though.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Alaria-

PostPosted: Wed, May 31 2017, 21:03 PM 

Player

Over the years there has been a pendulum between Amia and Arelith in terms of population. Sometimes it has been on one side, then went over to the other. It's been a long time since I tried Arelith, but I really like their world structure!! Try logging in and learning more of it to see what I mean. They have excellent systems, similar to Ravenloft(where you can see vague descriptions of attributes on a character when examining them) and people can even change their floaty names using a disguise(that you need to break with Spot). They generally have mechanics and places that support evil/grey characters which you could only dream of on Amia. You don't even need to join parties (like Ravenloft) to play with others, which I think is a good counter for OOC culture.

Server-structure and culture aside, the fact that Amia has 1-5 players and Arelith has 35-40 on just one server during European hours makes the choice pretty easy to me if I want to play. I have to stay up very, very late if I want to have similar numbers on Amia!!

We are a bunch of players that sometimes play on other servers to try them out. I think that is really healthy, and I recommend you try it if you want specific examples of what you would like to see for Amia!

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 10:41 AM 

Player

Maybe it's just me, but i've noticed an increased number - vastly increased - of "random" white / yellow drops.

If it is no coincidence and the random stuff indeed drops more often now - bravo! That's one of the things I wanted the most, and I love it.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 11:06 AM 

Player

Alaria: Have you tried EFU? A friend of mine on Amia got me to try it a few months ago. Low level and low magic, incredibly fun, and very steep consequences for death - and other players can permakill you. It's intense.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 14:34 PM 

Player

I may or may not be that friend. I wholly recommend EFU once in a while when Amia or wherever you play burns out for you so you can just make a PC who will last a few months. Then you can play somewhere else when they do get killed.

DC taxation is theft!

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 15:54 PM 

Player

It's also quest based. Random encounters in the travel areas and wilderness don't give you exp. You get exp by finishing quests, which is kind of neat.

Has amazing, AMAZING necromancy changes too. Summon a bunch of skeletons, use corpses from monsters you kill to animate, give them gear, enhance them with alchemy...

I can't stand playing it more than a month or two, because of the big death penalties and the ease of dying, but for short stints it provides you with a ton of entertainment.

That Guy

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 15:56 PM 

Player

Okay... EFU? The heck?

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 17:47 PM 

Player

It's a good server when you need to do "something else" for a while but when amia is in swing I really spend a lot more time here. I wish we had development updates and scripted quests like theirs but that's much harder to do for a module that ranges 1-30. EFU ranges 1-10 with major server impact required to go higher than that. Reaching 10 is basically faction leader type status and 11 is basically epic status there and 12 has only been accomplished once in ten years.

DC taxation is theft!

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 19:01 PM 

Player

Grindy servers with firewood and food rations and spell components and low level caps aint my cuppa. Even Amia is too grindy for me. "What I want most" is this place to be fixed.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 20:33 PM 

Player

It's a bit grindy, but please look at this page and tell me this isn't fucking amazing.

http://www.efupw.com/forums/forum/infor ... ackgrounds

Alaria-

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 10 2017, 23:55 PM 

Player

MisterLich wrote:
Alaria: Have you tried EFU? A friend of mine on Amia got me to try it a few months ago. Low level and low magic, incredibly fun, and very steep consequences for death - and other players can permakill you. It's intense.

I did not try that, no. :( To be really honest I got really *really* disappointed when I read about the deity changes. The entire Seldarine apart from Shevarash were defeated by 'Dendar' and are basically dead deities that cannot grant spells. Only Shevarash remains and he is known as 'the coward'. At least Eilistraee went down with them, but the entire thing is just a huge turnoff for me.

I do not consider that place to be very elf friendly for RP. (I obviously like elves!)

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 0:30 AM 

Player

Well I enjoyed playing my elf there, and it allowed for some very fun roleplaying, personally. They have an active Elf community.

Also there are rune guardians, which can access spells from artifacts you find around instead of deities, which is neat.

Definitely not the kind of place you go if you're looking for an easy server, nice server, or someplace that's "friendly." It's basically the wild west. People can pvp you in the wilderness at a moment's notice and perma your character. You lose 1/3 of your exp on death and it's a bitch to get back.

Definitely not an environment I'd call "friendly" to literally anybody, I'd only describe it as challenging, hard, fun, and rewarding.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 0:39 AM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
The entire Seldarine apart from Shevarash were defeated by 'Dendar' and are basically dead deities that cannot grant spells. Only Shevarash remains and he is known as 'the coward'.

Sounds great. What's the problem?

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:01 AM 

Player

Shevarash is an awesome god of preserving the elven people and vengeance against mankind of EFU now. He's cool death metal avenger.

DC taxation is theft!

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:03 AM 

Player

Also there is an entire new elven-religious concept called Mourning where the elves go into this transcendental state over the loss of their gods. Its a lot like asceticism but in a very personal way where a lot of them have detached themselves from life, and slowly fade out of existence.

DC taxation is theft!

Lutra

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:07 AM 

Player

That is not a new concept.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:09 AM 

Player

The point is that Elves are awesome on EFU.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:19 AM 

Player

Yeah Sheverash on EFU is the only way I can enjoy playing an elf. As a race I just cannot take myself seriously while playing them.

DC taxation is theft!

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:15 AM 

Player

But.... what is EFU? Acronym for....?

Lutra

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:23 AM 

Player

Judging by the level spread I think they are talking about Escape From Undermountain.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:01 AM 

Player

It's been multiple things since it's inception.

Escape from Underdark
Escape from Undeath
Escape from Underdark: Archipelago
Escape from Uncertainty: Revelation

Every three or four years they do a vault wipe and a total server rebuild once they've basically finished the server plot but I don't think EFU:R is wiping this time. I think EFU:R is just the final chapter for them. They've developed a lot over the years but the fact is NWN is kind of a dying medium so wiping the server and starting anew isn't necessarily worthwhile. It's still great fun if you like a server with faction oriented conflict and player driven stories. The DMs there aren't active but you'll hardly ever notice because it's full-fire PvP unless there's NPCs around with faction wars on so it can get really sweaty really fast.

EFU:R is a post apocalyptic return to the underdark after Dendar the Nightserpant was freed from her prison in chult with the death of mystra and rebirth of mystryl. The Ilithid Dread Empire has taken over the surface and many of the gods have been eaten by Dendar now. There have been two major civil wars in the setting so far with the powers that be finally having been overthrown by the players on "team good". But even then the city of Sanctuary itself is till divided into opposing factions ranging from the old guard loyalists to the "Exile Collective" who serve their aberrant masters to fight the dread empire to the knightly sorts who wanted to take over in the first place.

Lots of intrigues, violence, and fast living on this server that's for sure.

DC taxation is theft!

Alaria-

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 5:41 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
Alaria- wrote:
The entire Seldarine apart from Shevarash were defeated by 'Dendar' and are basically dead deities that cannot grant spells. Only Shevarash remains and he is known as 'the coward'.

Sounds great. What's the problem?

All right, here is my personal opinion! :)

Firstly, I think it's a very niche category of roleplay. Shevarashans resemble the darker side and history of elves. We know that elves are very close to their gods and that emotions are very important for elves. With the fall of the Seldarine, all *elven* elves should be wandering miserable creatures simply withering away(if they even could survive the illthids in the first place). Shevarashans were so few in the first place. Evermeet is lost and the Queen (likely) dead. There is no intact elven community left. Meditation? Sanctuary? Happiness and joy? Forget it! To top things off, the elves now have to live in the Underdark!? :O
I find it unlikely that an 'elven' elf should even exist on EfU without special requests, there should be that few and they are that lore heavy in my opinion with those circumstances.
Imagine the native elves of Ravenloft that are miserable and just dying, times a thousand! :(

The only acceptable elves I can imagine existing is 1. A very rare Shevarashan. 2. Human-elves that are not 'elven' and 3. Half-elves. Glendil would be in luck there! :)
I almost want to say that elves should be like Eilistraeeans are on Arelith under those circumstances: 'A good elf is a dead elf'. I could never in good conscience play an elf on EfU that'd do normal elven things. In other words, for me they've chopped off 95% of actual elven roleplay.

Secondly, I find the idea of Shevarash abandoning the Seldarine simply bad writing. I understand that they wanted a major groundbreaking event, but I just find it... Eww. :( An elven deity wouldn't do that in my book.

This is of course just my personal opinion!! A setting can be dangerous and unforgiving(see Ravenloft) for elves and even though they are distant to their gods there, the gods listen and are still half-present. I think they overdid it on EfU by quite a bit which ultimately ruins it for me.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:39 AM 

Player

I kind of saw it as a new way to roleplay and expand myself really. I made a "stalker" perk sorcerer as an elf, which, at level 8, gets permanent invisibility that re-applies every minute if he's attacked something in the last 10 rounds or so.

I roleplay it as losing my essence and becoming a vessel for vengeance through Sheverash, living only to destroy the monsters of the underdark and eventually the humans that he thinks are partially responsible for everything.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:03 AM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
Secondly, I find the idea of Shevarash abandoning the Seldarine simply bad writing. I understand that they wanted a major groundbreaking event, but I just find it... Eww. :( An elven deity wouldn't do that in my book.

Sheverash didn't abandon the seldarine he was given a new oath but killed himself in despair when all the Seldarine died. Then a group called the Revenant Court brought him back to life and now he's a god of revenge and destruction as well as preserving elven culture.

A dm gave a PC I was playing a small message from shevarash once when I was praying. It went like this.

Shevarash wrote:
Your prayers... receive an answer, of sorts. Fleeting, fickle, but an answer nonetheless.

A small gust of chilling wind blows through the garden, tousling leaves... one lands in your hands, and darkens to a dying, withered shade.

You contemplate the Shevarash, the Revenant Prince... dwelling upon his oft-overlooked title and what revelations it might hold.

"Ours... is the empty road... ours is the dusted path... we are the Revenant. We are between the living and the dead."

I see playing an elf in an apocalypse where the Seldarinne are dead as one of exploring loss and grief, and desperately trying to overcome it or give in entirely. Many elves have either gone into mourning and begun to fade from existence entirely or simply moved on in desperately painful attempts to continue. Some of them have taken new gods among humans and dwarves, others keep the memory of the Seldarine and of Corellon their Father.

Shevarash is at war with humanity and mystryl because of their role in awakening Dendar and allowing the Dread Empire to take over the world. He's trapped in grief and his dogma shows it.

Shevarash' Dogma wrote:
The end has come after thirty thousand years. We have no hope of peace. The People are now instruments of graceful and refined destruction. It is Man who has made forfeit our mothers and fathers, our ability to love, our ability to see. Now our arrows fly in pernicious blindness toward them. Destroy the drow, their taint cannot outlast our light. Destroy the illithid, never bend to the creeping and alien dread. But save your greatest tragedies for Man. Waste no time in reverie, prepare for war in the name of our ancestors. Act, without desperation, in the purity of our form.

I love this interpretation of Shevarash because it shows a very vulnerable side to the gods, and it just makes me think of how even they can suffer from grief, and loss and jealousy and despair. That's honestly something I like the most about Forgotten Realms and it's pantheons.

The gods are not perfect and infallible. The gods have goals and feelings and fears and they work hard to exist and build their cults and followings. They're very human in that regard, but they try very hard not to appear that way.

DC taxation is theft!

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:02 AM 

Developer

Yes, but unless you're intending to have all that happen on Amia I don't see what it has to do with the topic at hand and can probably be better handled elsewhere.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Alaria-

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:54 AM 

Player

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
Alaria- wrote:

Sheverash didn't abandon the seldarine he was given a new oath but killed himself in despair when all the Seldarine died. Then a group called the Revenant Court brought him back to life and now he's a god of revenge and destruction as well as preserving elven culture.

A dm gave a PC I was playing a small message from shevarash once when I was praying. It went like this.

Shevarash wrote:
Your prayers... receive an answer, of sorts. Fleeting, fickle, but an answer nonetheless.

A small gust of chilling wind blows through the garden, tousling leaves... one lands in your hands, and darkens to a dying, withered shade.

You contemplate the Shevarash, the Revenant Prince... dwelling upon his oft-overlooked title and what revelations it might hold.

"Ours... is the empty road... ours is the dusted path... we are the Revenant. We are between the living and the dead."

I see playing an elf in an apocalypse where the Seldarinne are dead as one of exploring loss and grief, and desperately trying to overcome it or give in entirely. Many elves have either gone into mourning and begun to fade from existence entirely or simply moved on in desperately painful attempts to continue. Some of them have taken new gods among humans and dwarves, others keep the memory of the Seldarine and of Corellon their Father.

Shevarash is at war with humanity and mystryl because of their role in awakening Dendar and allowing the Dread Empire to take over the world. He's trapped in grief and his dogma shows it.

Shevarash' Dogma wrote:
The end has come after thirty thousand years. We have no hope of peace. The People are now instruments of graceful and refined destruction. It is Man who has made forfeit our mothers and fathers, our ability to love, our ability to see. Now our arrows fly in pernicious blindness toward them. Destroy the drow, their taint cannot outlast our light. Destroy the illithid, never bend to the creeping and alien dread. But save your greatest tragedies for Man. Waste no time in reverie, prepare for war in the name of our ancestors. Act, without desperation, in the purity of our form.

I love this interpretation of Shevarash because it shows a very vulnerable side to the gods, and it just makes me think of how even they can suffer from grief, and loss and jealousy and despair. That's honestly something I like the most about Forgotten Realms and it's pantheons.

The gods are not perfect and infallible. The gods have goals and feelings and fears and they work hard to exist and build their cults and followings. They're very human in that regard, but they try very hard not to appear that way.

Oh, I could have sworn that I read that he actually abandoned the Seldarine which was why he survived in the first place. Isn't that why he is the 'coward'?

I realize that we have brought it off topic and it's probably best we end it here.

I want to re-state my wish of seeing several game-systems that Ravenloft and Arelith has on Amia:
Seeing (vague) descriptions of actual character attributes on examination.
Disguising floaty names.
Mechanical languages again (I have a vague memory of seeing those here before!). I don't remember why they never became a thingy.

I think the second one in particular would be of interest to anyone wanting to do shady things IC.

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 4:26 AM 

Player

One of the things I would like most, is not having the PCs get bounced around by other PCs moving nearby.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:33 AM 

Player

I'd like a job system that isn't literally pointless in every way.

We don't even have custom scripting available anymore, it's not like anybody is super concerned with using their jobs in any requests other than just saying "He has master weaponsmith, so it makes sense he can make weapons."

I'd like a job system like on Arelith.

I know it's never happening because the team has said, over the course of SEVERAL years, that it's not happening.

The job system is honestly one of the worst parts of Amia and whoever originally designed it clearly didn't want it to be useful, and instead wanted it to be flavor-only. Nothing you make in the job system is useful. It's all fluff. I want a job system that means something. The Mythal system kind of ruined that, but hey, here's an idea for a server wide plot actually...

Mythals have stopped working. Why? Who caused this? This is catastrophic for the island. Mythal forges start shattering or even exploding, causing minor damage wherever they are, and mythal crystals are now lumps of purple crystal, mundane.

However, various ores and other previously mundane objects are now harder to find and also, much more potent - adamantine weapons are no longer forged in 10 minutes (find the ore, mine the ore/buy the ore, click on the anvil and you're basically done), you have to spend crafting points to build the more powerful/complex items. Crafting points are refilled every reset, similar to the way the merchants work.

That adamantine greatsword, though? Arguably one of the rarest materials on the server? It's now a +4, Keen, +1d10 damage sword.

AKA mythals are no longer the be-all end-all, and now crafting jobs are actually useful, well-crafted items take some time and investment to get, and we have something interesting to do.

But there are seriously lots of other things we can do too, with it. We could implement spell components and have those craftable (something Arelith does which I loved). Lots of possibilities.

Part of the problem here is that we've been given a high magic setting, so crafting is not really that special anymore. We also can request superpowered items now, so really, the only time job systems are useful is when somebody wants to justify their item request with a job. It's not technically necessary though. So we'd have to tone down the magic and the power level of the server to make crafting more interesting/useful, possibly, and that is also unlikely to happen, even if we did get a job system overhaul.

I believe I've seen in the past that the regular dev team isn't even allowed to touch the job system, so it's all just a pipedream. Somebody somewhere in the team doesn't want the job system changed because they think it's too much work, so we're stuck with a useless system for years upon years, the only update being that it no longer even serves as a source of exp.

If I'm being honest I'd like the job system to just go away, as it currently stands. I'd rather the dev team use their scripting powers to spend however long they feel like, making a new, useful, fun job system from scratch, and ignore all other complaints, than anything else. I'd like that more than updates to spell schools. More than bug fixes. More than literally anything. Give us stuff to do once we hit level 30, and when there's not a lot of people online. Give us crafting please. Pleeeeeeaaassssse. Pretty please.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:16 PM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
Oh, I could have sworn that I read that he actually abandoned the Seldarine which was why he survived in the first place. Isn't that why he is the 'coward'?

The truth is no one really know exactly what happened and the elves call him the Coward because they think he ran away. It's even possible he did but there are several possibilities. The reason many elves call him the Coward is because he didn't die with the Seldarinne and they think he abandoned them. His followers call him "Revenant Prince" or "Last Blade of the People".

Really everything on EFU pertaining to elves is sort of this tragic story about an entire species and their gods trying to deal with unimaginable grief.

Kudark wrote:
One of the things I would like most, is not having the PCs get bounced around by other PCs moving nearby.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss please

DC taxation is theft!

Guardian

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 16:52 PM 

Player

Alaria- wrote:
Disguising floaty names.
Mechanical languages again (I have a vague memory of seeing those here before!). I don't remember why they never became a thingy.

I think the second one in particular would be of interest to anyone wanting to do shady things IC.

Loving it. Both points.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 12 2017, 23:16 PM 

Player

I would love to have some of the things Arelith has managed to get with absolutely no haks, yeah. Really on amia we don't have the community for that level of project anymore. I think the swarm of events from Dicey, Lutra and Elyon helped a lot but when the fire burned out it burned and the events stopped coming in on a daily basis people stopped anticipating them.

I'm gonna write some GST submissions and see if I can just submit them regularly enough that I can run them to help get fun stuff happening.

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3