View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 21:17 PM 

Tester

The same goes for a caster too, unfortunately. That's the uphill battle polymorphs in general fight. Spells are your focus; if you give up your spells, you better be getting something worthwhile in return. Dropping tons of stats from your items because you don't get full item merging(and even with merging, only the highest value is applied) is a significant blow to forms being viable. Dropping 15 Fortitude from taking a form is never a good look.

For that reason, if I could suggest a tweak, it would be:

>Full item merging for both Polymorph Self and Shapechange.
Yes, just balance the forms around it, it's much too hard to sell the forms without it. Druid/Shifter will still have flat out better forms, which is the point, so they can get over it.

>A scaling script of bonuses based off of Caster Level and Transmutation Focuses.
Mainly something to give your Saves and Skills back that you're losing anyway. Transmutation is already robbed in the fact Caster Level and Foci generally mean nothing concerning its spells. Even if its just a couple of saves, skills, or temp HP per level, make the spell feel different in the hands of a lowbie caster, versus a higher caster, versus someone eating a stupid goddamn cookie from Kampo's using an item.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 28 2017, 21:31 PM 

DM

I can adjust the hides to give back saves actually. That is one thing I never quite thought of and is fixable.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 31 2017, 9:20 AM 

Player

DukeDublin wrote:
A fighter should be rewarded for using UMD successfully.

Oh? Then perhaps they should be penalized if they muck it up... I mean, we are talking about amateurs 'faking' their way through the use of powerful magic. Mistakes will be made. If it were possible... a roll to determine success with a chance of a critical failure ( using umd points as the percentile of success...) that does something.. unrewarding.. would seem 'fair'. As it is, there is no risk and great reward. Consequences would make the whole thing so much more interesting... and would spawn some good rp, I expect...

But moving along... Its a shame there cannot be a differentiation between umd spells and spells cast by a bonafide caster.... maybe issue it as a custom feat that flicks the switch that 'activates' a dedicated caster classes real potential.. after three levels or something.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 31 2017, 19:37 PM 

Tester

angst360 wrote:
But moving along... Its a shame there cannot be a differentiation between umd spells and spells cast by a bonafide caster....

You can get the source of the spell in a script. We already do that with Blood Frenzy, for instance.

The UMD+Scroll issues are probably a separate discussion altogether, though. Probably two different discussions. Why allowing pocket-mages for a few ranks of (craftable) skill is pretty flawed to begin with, but also why it probably needs to remain an option until meleers can do more than click on a target and wait.

Back to Shapechange itself yeah, I think maintaining at least your saves would be a huge improvement. And maybe take another look at Terra's spellslot fix? I've asked other people and it seems to be working for them, so maybe it's just something bugged for me.

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 05 2017, 1:10 AM 

Player

Simply for the thematic feel, I think the Janni should have Whirlwind Attack.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 05 2017, 1:44 AM 

Tester

It's really not that great a feat, unless you're surrounded by like maybe 4 or more enemies. Even then, you're often better off focusing down one enemy at a time the normal way. Although the attacks are made at full bonus, the move takes up the whole round and you're letting everyone take swings at you until they all die at once.

I guess what I'm saying is... sure? But I don't see it actually getting a lot of use, especially because Janni doesn't seem to be intended as a tank.

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 05 2017, 15:58 PM 

Player

I meant it more in the (incredibly culturally insensitive, but source of the orientalist vision of Arabic lore) context of the Whirling Dervish. It fits with the image of djinnish warrior, especially since I suspect that this is the actual source of inspiration for the feat, the whirling dervish.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 06 2017, 20:31 PM 

Tester

Oh, I don't think it's a problem with being culturally insensitive. No on has or should have a problem with stuff like that, as long as its used as inspiration and not like outright mockery of stereotypes.

I was speaking from the purely mechanical end of the equation. I'd even agree that a "whirling dervish" angle would be cool on it and along giving it WW attack. I just feel like it would be somewhat misleading for how the form will actually function. But that's just me being a stickler, more than likely! My thoughts are only that someone will see that the form has the feat, try to use it in combat, get their butt kicked, and then think that either they did something wrong, or that the form is weaker than it should be when it wasn't intended for that role in the first place.

Edit: Improved Whirlwind Attack might actually make more sense. The additional range means that you can hit foes further away, and don't necessarily have to be in the middle of the fight to hit a lot of enemies. Keeps the theme without tricking people into trying to tank with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2