View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
MisterLich

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 23:49 PM 

Player

Glad to hear it.

You can fuck off too. Won't be coming back any time soon after your little outburst.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 23:53 PM 

Player

No_Dice_13 wrote:
I said what I said and stand by it. And the new area will not be used as an area to just go and PvP and if abused you will be banned simple as that. There are actual players that deserve to have their opinions noticed but threads like this go un noticed by DMs most of the time because of stupid ass trolling. My anger is justified if you don't like it to bad.

Some of us that haven't played in... a few weeks only post due to actually still caring. Attitudes like what you show here make us not care. I can't see a server growing with this type of DM leadership.

Thanks for sealing the deal Dicey, I used to think you were pretty cool.

No_Dice_13

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 23:57 PM 

Player

You can say what you want but I have seen players leave because of stupid reasons and the fact things didn't go the way they wanted. Both the Dev Team and DM Team have put in lots of time and effort to make things as best as we can and in return get shit on for it. If the server is to grow they need to have constructive opinions not stupid ones.

Ricket Ashgather - The Hin with Attitude

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 23:58 PM 

Player

The thing is, all care in one way or another. People simply have different ways of showing it.

I am sorry if I somehow made this escalate with that joke about calling the island that stupid name. If I had no interest, I would not be logging on to the server all the time. Guy and Lich would have better places to troll too. I believe people truely care and we all got our own way to show we care, some vent in anger, some joke, some are genuinely worried. Little Dragon shows it to by making these threads. We all --care--.

The Players who leave over dumb things, are lost causes. They won't come back and keep part ofdiscussions going in a thread.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 23:59 PM 

Player

He does have all the reason to be angry due to the deturpation on what the place was meant to be and people go on about just wanting yet another "Arena" .

He is right! A lot of things have to be said and people hold back being afraid of some retaliation or getting banned for saying it!

You know what..

I am 100% with Dicey.

People got mad about his statement and then say they will leave and that does not help the thread that was meant to solve stuff. Saying you want to come back because now there will be some "proper pvp" and then getting mad because it wont be the case anymore?

By all means... by me.. those can really leave. Go play some proper PVP game like Player Unknowwhatever or CoD or CS or something else.

That is my opinion. Do not like it. Wanna ban me? Do it.
Geez... how I feel -WAY- Good getting it off my shoulders.

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:05 AM 

Player

rafaelmacgyver wrote:
He does have all the reason to be angry due to the deturpation on what the place was meant to be and people go on about just wanting yet another "Arena" .

He is right! A lot of things have to be said and people hold back being afraid of some retaliation or getting banned for saying it!

You know what..

I am 100% with Dicey.

People got mad about his statement and then say they will leave and that does not help the thread that was meant to solve stuff. Saying you want to come back because now there will be some "proper pvp" and then getting mad because it wont be the case anymore?

By all means... by me.. those can really leave. Go play some proper PVP game like Player Unknowwhatever or CoD or CS or something else.

Umm.... wow. I didn't -want- a PVP Island. I said that. I'm -happy- to hear it won't be that. That wasn't what I was saying AT ALL.

But, apparently my opinion doesn't matter.

No_Dice_13

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:12 AM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
rafaelmacgyver wrote:

You know what..

I am 100% with Dicey.

Umm.... wow. I didn't -want- a PVP Island. I said that. I'm -happy- to hear it won't be that. That wasn't what I was saying AT ALL.

No one is pointing the finger at you. I was speaking in general to the ones that are doing it.

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:18 AM 

Player

Folks also need to understand that the team is actually formed of humans who have feelings in general. Can't blame one who takes it personally when hours of dev work is being referred the way it was...not to comment on the actual content on the last few pages of this thread. It is a pity though because this thread was constructive for the most part.

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:26 AM 

Player

Oy vey, Amia.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:28 AM 

Tester

Whenever we're all ready to actually talk to each other:

1) Dicey speaks for himself. He's not the entire server. He can qualify his statement however he feels, but it seems a bit thin-skinned to walk away over one opinion. I don't agree with him on this. We should strive to reach out to those we've lose when possible, and I think you(Misterlich and That Guy) have done a good job of bringing up important issues. I personally want to continue to hear from you. I feel for you if his statement soured your prospects a bit, but dude, he's one dude. As much as I wan't to continue to hear from and eventually see you both again in game, if your return was already balancing on not hearing what may be some very harsh counter-opinions.. well, I got nothing for you. But I think we're all big folk here, even when some of us forget that.

2) I don't think anyone here actually means to sound ungrateful. But there are serious man-hours going into some of these projects. Let's keep that in mind when we talk about what will or won't work. It's super easy to nay-say and yes, it gets very, very frustrating when people seem to be harping on the negative issues, but are not putting real time or effort into solving them.

On that note, I don't think people who haven't played in a bit need to "sit down and shut up" so much as be conscious in what you say. You're sitting on the sidelines right now. Cheer for your team, don't boo. Critique, suggest, yes, but don't get in the rut of saying nothing will work out as planned. It can get frustrating for the people that are actually putting the work in behind this stuff. It's frustrating for everyone. There was no doubt a better way to say what he said. But just as well, I feel for the devs on that end, too. Talk to people like people, keep in mind what work is being done and how you can help, and we're all better off.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:29 AM 

Player

No_Dice_13 wrote:
That Guy wrote:
rafaelmacgyver wrote:

You know what..

I am 100% with Dicey.

No one is pointing the finger at you. I was speaking in general to the ones that are doing it.

Literally who just wants to go there and beat people up? I outlined a fairly specific vision of what I was hoping to accomplish (assuming I was able to gain control, which isn't even necessarily what would've happened in this highly hypothetical scenario).

Dicey's the only one having issues right now. Nobody else was saying anything hyper obnoxious. Virtually everybody was saying "No, the island will not just become a mindless arena."

Stop pretending everybody was being awful somehow. Constructive conversation for the most part was being had until Dicey's outburst.

Nobody was making light of Mav's efforts. Some people were saying they didn't like the idea, which is perfectly fine. Some people like me were excited and planning on how we would be able to play with the new area, which is also fine.

Everything was fucking fine.

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:29 AM 

Player

Being told to Fuck Off by a DM is less than constructive. I merely gave my thoughts and reasons, I didn't intend to insult in any way. A bit harsh, perhaps, but I was being honest.

And, DI, one DM won't keep me away, but... one DM with that attitude and the team doing nothing about it will.

Nick11689

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:31 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Whenever we're all ready to actually talk to each other:

1) Dicey speaks for himself. He's not the entire server. He can qualify his statement however he feels, but it seems a bit thin-skinned to walk away over one opinion. I don't agree with him on this. We should strive to reach out to those we've lose when possible, and I think you(Misterlich and That Guy) have done a good job of bringing up important issues. I personally want to continue to hear from you. I feel for you if his statement soured your prospects a bit, but dude, he's one dude. As much as I wan't to continue to hear from and eventually see you both again in game, if your return was already balancing on not hearing what may be some very harsh counter-opinions.. well, I got nothing for you. But I think we're all big folk here, even when some of us forget that.

2) I don't think anyone here actually means to sound ungrateful. But there are serious man-hours going into some of these projects. Let's keep that in mind when we talk about what will or won't work. It's super easy to nay-say and yes, it gets very, very frustrating when people seem to be harping on the negative issues, but are not putting real time or effort into solving them.

On that note, I don't think people who haven't played in a bit need to "sit down and shut up" so much as be conscious in what you say. You're sitting on the sidelines right now. Cheer for your team, don't boo. Critique, suggest, yes, but don't get in the rut of saying nothing will work out as planned. It can get frustrating for the people that are actually putting the work in behind this stuff. It's frustrating for everyone. There was no doubt a better way to say what he said. But just as well, I feel for the devs on that end, too. Talk to people like people, keep in mind what work is being done and how you can help, and we're all better off.

This for years.
(also sorry I left before we could spangraff the Mythallar, DI; the time was right)

- "Fuck you, I'm from Waterdeep."

(OMGOSH OLIVE MADE A LIL' HEL'VYST)

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:35 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation, we disagree in a somewhat fine point though. A statement coming from a DM is a like statement coming from a police officer. A police officer in uniform can't just go 'fuck you, I have bigger problems than you. Poor you can't sleep because the neighbors are too loud? Fucking deal with it. There is a murderer I need to catch'.
While he is entitled to think that, it would be expected of a police officer (or any other sort of official) to shut his mouth and find some more appropriate and neutral way to say it.

Because an official actually does, to an extent, speak for the entire official structure, there usually are pretty strict regulations about this stuff, which is why said police officer will find a way to say it that is neutral. That statement coming from an on-duty police officer could lost said officer his job...

No_Dice_13

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:38 AM 

Player

I was saying fuck off to the trolls I never pointed fingers at you or Misterlich but the fact you both are taking it personally obviously says something.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:39 AM 

Tester

Ask yourself this.

Is the silly choice of words worth everything we stand to gain here? Is it worth not simply burying the hatchet with a "yo, that's fucked" and getting back to the topics we were discussing?

I mean, no one can apologize for Dicey. And it's his opinion, so all the team could do is offer their own opinion is they wish to. There's no sort of reprimand here. Believe me, if there were, there are times even in the past couple of years that would look like some sort of punitive bar fight in the team. DMs and both people and players too. Sometimes they have rough shit to say as much as the next guy. And when they say that shit, they're just as free range to be called out on it by anyone else. The police metaphor falls a little short here. As I've said in the past, DMs are stewards. They inherited the ship mid-sail and sit at the helm with a dozen other hands on the wheel.

Edit: You're not going to make your point any better by insinuating things about people from their own statements, Diceman. Let's all be adult enough here to let this be for a while, eh? This is dumb.

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.

That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:41 AM 

Player

No_Dice_13 wrote:
I was saying fuck off to the trolls I never pointed fingers at you or Misterlich but the fact you both are taking it personally obviously says something.

Well... who did you aim it at then?

MisterLich

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:42 AM 

Player

No_Dice_13 wrote:

Now you're implying that we were trolling because we didn't take kindly to your attitude toward an unnamed group of people, which is some high-school level drama nonsense.

Dicey.

Your attitude is part of the toxicity that people talk about when they say we have a shit community.

You're being the problem right now.

gorgometh

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:45 AM 

Player

Dudes. - This is just a game. Maybe everybody should leave the thread be and drop it for a bit?

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:46 AM 

Player

For the moment, and this is literally meant at everyone

Tarnus

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 0:46 AM 

Player

Alright, locking this thread for a couple hours. I'm disappointed on several levels but its almost 3 am in the morning and I don't have time to sort stuff out. All I have to say for now is that everyone involved should likely take a deep breath, consider that the other side is human and that yelling at each other really is not a good thing and ultimately won't accomplish anything but resentment. Good Night and try to be excellent to each other.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 1:27 AM 

DM

Guys. I just want to make good stuff for you all to enjoy. You don't have to all enjoy everything I put out but there certainly is people that will love it. Just be patient and ill try and get around to stuff you might specifically enjoy. Productive feed back is welcome and encouraged. I don't think Dicey's response was appropriate but I certainly understand his frustrations, and believe he could of been far more constructive in how he presented said frustration. Please for the sake of all Devs and DMs sanity try and keep feed back on systems and things in game constructive. Don't just call it shit and move on. Explain yourself, talk about potential problems and solutions.

For the record, Demonreach is a project that is going to benefit the entire player base even if you don't enjoy the wild west feel of the isle itself. The faction system is going to get transplanted to places where the PvP rules will remain strict as well, such as on the mainland.

Everyone just take some time and once this topic again stay on topic, and please remain civil.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 7:46 AM 

Player

Alright, I will re-open this now.

Please take a few deep breaths before hitting the keyboard here right away again and don't make me regret this.

A few things:

1. This thread is about helping the server. Suggestions and critism are welcome, no matter how active or inactive you are, as long as you are sure you are still aware of what currently is and is not going on on the server and as long as it is actually 'helpful' and not just "pouting" and saying "meh this won't work anyways. That won't help anyone, least of all the server, and will just frustrate and discourage people. DI summoned that up pretty well already.

2. We try to add a little bit for everyone.
We are all different people, with very different likings. Not all changes are for everyone, but we try to add a bit for everyone in the long run (unless it completely goes against the server layout or balance). Even if something is not "for you", please remember it also will nut 'hurt' you. Respect others enjoy other things and realize that nothing will be taken from you just because something for "them" is added.

I personally enjoy new items. Hence why I make the djinn stuff. I enjoy hunting, hence I am pro dungeons and happy we add new ones. Others loathe hunting, I accept that. But it won't kill you that there is a new dungeon either, it does not take anything from you, neither do the new items.

I personally am not a huge fan of PvP unless it is really meaningful. Not because I am bad at it or because it is bad to PvP, it simply is not my prefered part of gaming. I still PvP at times, again, just as "grinding" for others, it just isn't my highest enjoyment. Still, I helped finding good RP and IC ways to make PvP a bit more fitting and easier for those who like it. Why? Because others enjoy it and it does not take away anything from me, so why would I not help develop stuff that others can enjoy, even if my personal taste lays somewhere else.

Live and let live. As long as it does not hurt you, just be happy it makes someone else happy.

So be a bit more positive. Make suggestions that help the server. Critisize when you actually feel something might hurt the server, not when it simply isn't "your thing".

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 8:34 AM 

Player

Will Demonreach have new dungeons scattered about also? How big are we expecting the new island to be in terms of areas, something similar to Caraigh? How will the new faction areas work in regards to buildings?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:00 AM 

Player

It will have "wild" areas where you can hunt, yes. It is a bit more like caraigh, so less a specific dungeon and more dangerous areas in between the different "faction areas" and the main village. Those "wild zones" vary in sizes. Some are bigger and come close to an actual "dungeon" others are just 1-2 areas in size.

While I do not have the exact measurements, Caraigh probably is a reasonable comparison (size wise). Perhaps a little bit smaller (if you count the whole "side" areas like the Asylum interior etc.).

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:09 AM 

Player

Cool beans. I'm assuming here that the spawns and mobs on this island will be on par with max character difficulty, or is it the deeper you are into the island the more dangerous the enemies are?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:23 AM 

Player

Uh I am not 100% sure. I think they were in the 25ish area? I'll have to double check. Spawns can be adjusted still if there are issues with the CL.

As for how the faction renting works, similar to the Housing, really. You can get a full area for you and your peeps (the initial rent is rather high, however the "keeping" per month is lower then) to design and toy around with.

You have a selectable variant of PLC (which we will expand over time) which you can place in "your" area. Among those will be walls for completely own design (though it takes a bit of fiddling!), PLC houses and tents, altars, statues, blockades (with HP, though they can be destroyed with some effort!).

We also were adding the processing job PLC (smithing anvils, windmills, researcher/scribe desks, herbal pots, alchemy tables, butcher and dissection slabs, etc etc), however no ressource PLC as that would be too exploitable.

We are trying to also add the market stands, no guarantee here yet though, they are a bit more complicated as the script for them is spread over 2 different PLC and we do not know yet if we can make that work.

When you set up all your fancies, you use the same widget to "store or delete the current outlay". (same as with the housing)

Difference being 1. anyone can enter the area and the outlay will load when someone enters, no matter if it is the "owner" or someone else. 2. Areas are bigger. 3. More/different PLC.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:34 AM 

Player

Also:

We have planned to add a very awsome (Abyss level) Underwater Dungeon that you can go into from Demonreach (and from one other location, prolly the tropical isle).

However, that requires a full building of 7-8 areas, new monster design etc. So while the layout (on paper) already stands, please be aware that this is unlikely to happen before end of the year/start of the next year. (and that is if things go well)

P.S. We are also looking into adding small fun new quests, also of epic level as we realized there are not many of those yet, namely only one. So far we have planned one for Serpent Isle, one for Abyss and one for the Duergar. (and one for the new underwater dungeon, whenever we manage to finish thatone!)

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:38 AM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Also:

We have planned to add a very awsome (Abyss level) Underwater Dungeon that you can go into from Demonreach (and from one other location, prolly the tropical isle).

However, that requires a full building of 7-8 areas, new monster design etc. So while the layout (on paper) already stands, please be aware that this is unlikely to happen before end of the year/start of the next year. (and that is if things go well)

If you need someone to get beaten up by the mobs for testing when you guys can work on it, i'd volunteer for that. 8)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 9:41 AM 

Player

There definately needs to be testing for the new dungeon, when the time comes, yar.

Currently Abyss (and to a degree beholders) are the only dungeons that high, so some expansion here would be nice.

Not to mention we have all those super amazing new Underwatercreatures that are not represented anywhere yet.

Without wanting to give away too much yet... I can already say, Jellyfish Fields will be a thing. A very dangerous thing. :twisted:

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:51 AM 

Player

Critters on Demonreach seem ECL 25-30. how that reflects/works out IG remains to be seen. Tweaking can still happen if necessary.

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:55 AM 

Player

They're scaled to be hiiiiiigh end epics, yes. Can't let this place be pansy-assed and easily taken over. :wink:

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:56 AM 

Player

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:25 AM 

Player

The problem I have with making new areas is that we are "specializing" the server in the way sinfar has. A problem with this is that very few areas get use. I believe a better way of doing this isnt expanding the islands, but expand into the underdark of amia. THis would make all the areas close enough to ensure interaction with the many groups, you can then specialize the areas of it to fill in certain roles within the server.

The way I see this working is that you have the surface, lowerdark, middledark, and lowerdark all as three "surface" areas with a caverns acting as "transitional" areas between the areas. This is something I am examining at the moment to see how it would work, and if it does look playable, a topic for another day.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:29 AM 

Player

We have that already. Frozenfar leads into the Underdark and various depths of the Underdark and has a huge amount of areas.

Amia is a smallish island. The Underdark there would be equally smallish... and is still there too. aka Duergar, Beholder area plus the old entry from the Beach.

And adding hunting dungeons and RP areas has zero to do with Sinfar. <.< As explained above, it simply means we can allow more different culture and RP styles.

Wether people hang out together in spots, is not effected by how many dungeons we have. If people hang out together, they do that regardless. And if they rather hunt or do not want to hang out with some people, they will evade it no matter if we have 1 island or 10.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:49 AM 

Player

Also, If the ammount of areas the server has is an issue, why not move all the shop Pcs out into the streets, like having a little stall and whatnot? Not only would it free up room, but would help with player traffic and give the dms more doorways to use to help them with their dm plots.

And yes, it would be smallish. But, we wouldnt be playing on a two dimentional level, but rather a three, which giving a whole lot of room to be used.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:52 AM 

Player

Number of areas is not an issue. You know how some areas don't show up as having a name when you mouse over a PC's portrait? That's because they're dynamic, and delete themselves after a player leaves the area. Most of our nonessential areas are like that. (Nonessential meaning that there is no portal Node, or starting points there)

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:56 AM 

Player

There's not really an issue with the amount of areas in the module that i'm aware of from the player perspective. It's why Amia was split into A and B a few years ago to ease the strain. Adding more NPCs into one area could cause a longer load time also, plus from an IC perspective why would Hil'rash or any other merchant want to spend their work days out in the middle of Eastern Cordor? Or Pinky being harassed by the escorts in West? Kohlingen and Wiltun are one of the few who have outside vendors, but that's how the areas were designed. Wiltun makes sense as that there's not a lot of space on that rock they're on, unless they built out into the sea and have a shanty/stilt town. Kohlingen probably has it's outside market due to the docks nearby, what with them overtaking Cordor as the more prosperous city on the island. That and that's how the stores have (mostly) always been.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 12:17 PM 

Player

I see.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 12:18 PM 

Player

To be fair I think Cordor should be the port city, it's the place many people start but it needs more of that, lived in, import/export feel. Merchants that sell strange curiosities, trinkets and baubles.. it needs a little back street, dodgy weapons merchant, random urchins that pick pocket the odd coin, a smokers room, one of those iffy potion sellers where you take your life in your own hands if you buy his 'cheaper that normal' white label goods!

By comparison the Holy city has always been the clean, shiny white city where you pay a good price you get a good item. A place where the people smile and offer aid willingly without asking for payment!

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 12:28 PM 

Player

At the moment Cordor is just a glorified divided slum city after post-Reyes. And most of the stuff you described is basically West. But I do agree that with the amount of footfall Cordor usually gets, it should get spruced up a bit, maybe show signs of recovery. Failing that, then the city should be updated to reflect it's current condition rather than just the dialogue you get when you step off the boat in East Cordor.

Again though, this is not a large priority for the Dev/DMs as they're no doubt wading through a lot of other work and maintenance. :)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 12:56 PM 

Player

Revamping Cordor (not necessarily too much area wise) but style wise, is definately on the agenda. The adventuerer guild was but a small step in that dirction (to make it a better "starting" area), but more is planned. Some pending on a few plot events, some on hashing out a few more details, but we are working on it and it is a priority, for sure.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 13:18 PM 

Player

What exactly started up Demonreach?

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 13:22 PM 

Player

And as always, if you want to influence the direction a city takes, then you can quite readily do so trough IC actions. Why not have your char try and contribute or focus on building up what you would want to see changed? It's a heavy time investment, sure, but if done properly it'll yield good results, and potentially provide you with plenty of RP and a bit of a power/influence base for your char...

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 13:23 PM 

Player

It's been in discussion for a while now (1-2 years?) to add a piratey/outlaw island "tortuga style".

The faction stuff reaches back to Disco times even. He started inventing an area/areas with a "capture the flag" style system, which is however mindblowing work script wise and pretty hard for anyone to finish in the manner he did.

So we decided to combine the two "projects in a nutshell" after the two "server state" and "what do the players want" threads and make our own thing that we can actually manage to finish (as said, Discos script is sadly super complicated, though big kudos to his chicken genious) as those threads showed there would be interest in something like that.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 13:37 PM 

Player

Gravemaskin wrote:
And as always, if you want to influence the direction a city takes, then you can quite readily do so trough IC actions. Why not have your char try and contribute or focus on building up what you would want to see changed? It's a heavy time investment, sure, but if done properly it'll yield good results, and potentially provide you with plenty of RP and a bit of a power/influence base for your char...

There are many player stories that say otherwise.

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
It's been in discussion for a while now (1-2 years?) to add a piratey/outlaw island "tortuga style".

The faction stuff reaches back to Disco times even. He started inventing an area/areas with a "capture the flag" style system, which is however mindblowing work script wise and pretty hard for anyone to finish in the manner he did.

So we decided to combine the two "projects in a nutshell" after the two "server state" and "what do the players want" threads and make our own thing that we can actually manage to finish (as said, Discos script is sadly super complicated, though big kudos to his chicken genious) as those threads shwoed there would be interest in something like that.

Ah, I see. So for this time, the dev team has been working on this? If so, are the projects that players have completed in years prior be in the que to be completed?

Raua

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 13:41 PM 

Player

Imma just link this.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 14:01 PM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:
Gravemaskin wrote:

- Cordor's initial hatred for adventurers was partially caused due to player influence.
- The efforts to quell the problems in South Cordor was a player driven thing
- Cordor's current state between the west and the east is heavily influenced by player efforts & because of directions taken by players during and in the aftermath of the Reyes plot.
- Kohlingen's inclusion of mages into the city and into their guards was pure player influence
- Kohlingen's close ties to Barak Runedar is entirely because of player efforts
- The creation of the Treaty of Light to combat the strong past influence of evil forces on Amia/the Reyes coalition was a player initiative
- Kohlingen's ties & trade agreement with Waterdeep was a player driven initiative
- Wharftown is what it is because of player influence/efforts
- Bendir is what it is because of player influence/efforts
- Barak Runedar is what it is because of player influence/efforts
- Winya's current state, and previous diplomatic endeavors is/was due to player influence, efforts and partial management
- Wiltun, Caraigh & Ruathym as a whole owes a lot to player influence and efforts
- the same is also true of Endir's point & Howness
- Belenoth owes it's existance to the player base
- The shrine's past glory and amalgamation of RP and events are due to the player focus there.
- The changes taken place in the underdark were a player driven initiative
- The return of the Triumvir was because of player efforts
- Nes'ek owes ALOT to player efforts, from the time of the Ankh'remun plot (when it was little more than a temple and some random tents in the surrounding areas) to the inclusion of the Kelemvorite temple to the vast array of plots and divine interventions that came over the years since was because of players efforts and interests that gave DMs and Devs a reason to put time and effort into their work there.

I could go on and mention over a dozen other similar situations, but I think my point is proven here. All of this wasn't just made because the DM or Dev team decided it to be that way. Events tend to congregate around the same places players do, and so when you have a large amount of players hanging around the Dale, it gets a lot of events focused around it. The same could easily be true of any other place on the server, if groups of people were to focus their RP there instead. 90% of all change and directions taken by a city, faction or place can trace the root back to a dedicated few players that wanted to cement change or get their characters heavily involved in a city or locale, or the result of events that happened there BECAUSE players were there. Dev and DM time and efforts get put into things because of player activity there, or because there is some other driving force pulling attention to it.

It's far from easy, and as I said previously it requires dedication and time from players, because it's going to draw the same from the DM and ADT teams.. but it is quite doable, though perhaps not always on your own. (Though that has happened plenty of times as well)

Last edited by Gravemaskin on Wed, Sep 20 2017, 14:38 PM, edited 3 times in total.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 14:02 PM 

Player

Reading through this thread makes me feel sick.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20 2017, 14:20 PM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:

Perhaps find out yourself rather than just putting your hands in your lap and believing whatever "others" say?

The Little Dragon wrote:
Ah, I see. So for this time, the dev team has been working on this? If so, are the projects that players have completed in years prior be in the que to be completed?

1. No, of course the Devs have not worked 2 years on this. As explained above, it were things that have been brainstormed about or ahve been started and then dropped because of staff changes. It has bene picked up again (very recently) because the demand was there and we had people who could do it.

2. See end of 1.
Aka, depends if there is demand and if we have the capacity. If the faction, player or area is no longer there or used, there is no point in completing it, unless it has a value/interest for the whole server.

P.S. demonreach was never a "player project". It was re-picked because it seemed the players currently would have interest in something like it. But it was never an initiative started by players.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next