View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
HellOnTheSurface69

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 0:44 AM 

Player

So, I'm a tad new to the server in its current state, logged in a couple... months ago, or so? Got off one night and haven't come back due to being quite busy. Now, I've decided I'll log in and make a wizard. I just wanted to know, how do we handle spells that we haven't added or isn't in NWN itself? I've got a fairly large list of spells as examples, and they'd really only be useful in RP situations.

Arcane Mark: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Arcane_Mark
Screen: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Screen
Limited Wish: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Limited_Wish
Dimension Lock: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dimensional_Lock
Project Image: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Project_Image
But those are really just examples of what would be used. For obvious reasons, combat spells would be incredibly limited unless they were added or you had a very quick thinker of a DM. Just give me your thoughts, and if you find something unacceptable or particularly interesting, tell me why!

Last edited by HellOnTheSurface69 on Sun, Oct 01 2017, 23:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cratz

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:21 AM 

Player

Generally, everyone involved has to agree it can be cast. If a DM is present, only their opinion matters.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:55 AM 

Tester

Yep. An OOC "Is everyone cool if I cast [Name of spell]?" is fine. Not everyone is familiar with PnP, so it's mainly to make sure everyone is on the same page if they get used. It's also partially to give consent to things that can't be mechanically enforced(Geas, for example).

With DM's present, try tell them what spell you're slotting to represent a PnP one. I.E. "Hey, I'm slotting a Shadowshield to represent Project Image." This is both for the previous reasons and to make sure people aren't pulling PnP spells out of thin air, as they want them.

LordAzack

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 13:55 PM 

Player

What about a sorcerer?

Cratz

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 14:31 PM 

Player

afaik, this applies to any PnP spell cast, regardless of class.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 15:17 PM 

Player

LordAzack wrote:
What about a sorcerer?

In my experience generally the DMs will ask you to burn a placeholder spell in place of the pnp spell. For instance one of the "a unique spell" spells.
Typically the same is true for a sorcerer or bard and usually (but not always) they will require you to have picked one to represent the pnp spell.

This is why most of my spontaneous casters have several placeholder spells that are completely mechanically useless, but open up the option for using specific pnp spells in various situations. It gives a form of "legitimacy" to having the pnp spell, as you've actually lost something to have it, and in my opinion doing this is just good form for both RP and lore reasons.

I think the reason most DMs ask you to do this if you want to use pnp spells (and I'm only guessing), is because they have limited spell options and lorewise you cannot have more than the ones you've already picked, so having PnP spell access without a cost would simply give you something without any sacrifice.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 17:21 PM 

Tester

That's my experience as well. My sorcerer has two placeholder spells for the same reason. Some players opt to state what PnP spells they know in their Bio, but that can leave you open to metagaming. You can always remind the DM at the start of an event what PnP spells your spontaneous caster knows. Anyone else doesn't really need to know until it comes up in RP.

Taking a PnP spell/Unique Use spell on a spontaneous caster is such a costly thing, mechanically, that most people will be fine with you using them, out of pity.

Lutra

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 28 2017, 17:37 PM 

Player

LordAzack wrote:
What about a sorcerer?

We tend to ask what spells are prepared and what are the placeholder spells. Much the same applies to bards although bards tend to have learning aspects while sorcerers don't need it necessarily.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]