View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 14 2017, 22:10 PM 

Tester

Resposting it here, since it will inevitably be buried in the original thread. These are steps we can take to see our playerbase increase. I am currently working on 2 and 3 myself and more help is always welcome.

-------------------

THE GAME PLAN

1. Get Amia on a NWN Server List

I've heard this one multiple times. There are still lists out there for servers that people go through. I'm not sure how hard it would be, but it seems like a good idea.

2. Amian Info threads on Reddit/RP Forums

r/neverwinternights
r/DnD
r/rpg_gamers
r/rpg
r/games

Let's show what we are to people who are looking for a place to RP. If anyone wants to take initiative and draft a sort of "who-we-are" to post on any of these reddits, go right ahead. Otherwise, I'll probably take a crack at it. I'm going to look at what these reddits' policies on "advertising" and such are.

3. Amian Introduction Video/Youtube Tutorial

As someone currently getting RL friends involved with Amia, a big barrier is the setup process. Once we have people interested with point 2, they have to walk themselves through the process of installing the game, downloading the HAK, and getting acclimated to how NWN works.

Starting some sort of Amia Youtube channel would be a good source of publicity as well as being a resource people can use before they've fully gotten onto our own forum.

4. GOG-Fund and Grassroot Efforts

NWN Diamond Edition is $9.99 on GOG. While it's not a lot, prospective players may be leery to spend money on an old game, not knowing how to install it, not knowing how to play, not knowing if there will be people there to play with if they do get the thing installed. If we could start some sort of fund, perhaps for players that seem really interested in the game but just aren't that sure about buying it themselves, that may be an avenue for new players. I've considered doing the same thing at my local game shop, running a meeting for people interested in an online RP venue and offering to pay for a few games myself. What do they have to lose at that point? If you find yourself in a position to do the same, go for it.

I'm willing to take point on 2 and 3, but I honestly suck at video editing and don't like narration. All the same, putting forth plans but never offering to follow through is not something I like to do. Anyone interested in making any of these things happen feel free to PM me or respond here.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 14 2017, 23:31 PM 

Tester

Update:

r/neverwinter nights is alright with us doing a post
Messages sent to mods of r/RPG_gamers, r/RPG, and r/dnd, waiting for reply
r/games seems to have a very hard policy on people contributing to the subreddit before posting any self-promotion, though it is still possible to buy an advertising slot of sorts

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Mon, Aug 14 2017, 23:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 14 2017, 23:36 PM 

Player

I think we are on most server lists now at least. I checked a few of the top ones on google and saw us on em at least.

Lutra

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:11 AM 

Player

We are currently working on an official Social Media representation. It turned out that one of the team members is an actual professional on the subject. However, the team will work with the playerbase regarding the content.

A post will come up soon on the matter.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:54 AM 

Player

Awesome :D

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:53 AM 

Player

Social media, I hate it with a passion :cry: But it is needed I guess.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:31 AM 

Player

Really liking this initiative, so far. Get our name out there and let people know that we're still flying the flag.

As for that YouTube channel, along with installations, maybe do a walk-through for the city of Cordor. Most new folk will more than likely start there and shedding some lore light on the once-great hub of the Trackless Sea might entice them to get involved (e.g. Speak about it's history, the Amnish war and post-Arcanum Cordor).

Alongside that, maybe go over what opportunities await you, point them towards Speedy and/or the sewers and mention that "Like all great adventures, you'll be killing rats for your first job." You could even expand on that to what to expect outside the walls and what neighbor's the island has.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 13:46 PM 

Player

Revak wrote:
Really liking this initiative, so far. Get our name out there and let people know that we're still flying the flag.

As for that YouTube channel, along with installations, maybe do a walk-through for the city of Cordor. Most new folk will more than likely start there and shedding some lore light on the once-great hub of the Trackless Sea might entice them to get involved (e.g. Speak about it's history, the Amnish war and post-Arcanum Cordor).

Alongside that, maybe go over what opportunities await you, point them towards Speedy and/or the sewers and mention that "Like all great adventures, you'll be killing rats for your first job." You could even expand on that to what to expect outside the walls and what neighbor's the island has.

That would be cool with a lore light heavy introduction to the place.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 14:29 PM 

Player

We can bring them in a lot easier than that. I know of many players who are unhappy with amia as it is now and want to come back. They are on other servers atm. perhaps a more inward approach would be better suited to gaining players. While yes, publicizing amia would help bring in players, there is a few rumors going around about us and players implying or directly stating that we have a poor reputation.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 15:02 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
4. GOG-Fund and Grassroot Efforts

NWN Diamond Edition is $9.99 on GOG. While it's not a lot, prospective players may be leery to spend money on an old game, not knowing how to install it, not knowing how to play, not knowing if there will be people there to play with if they do get the thing installed. If we could start some sort of fund, perhaps for players that seem really interested in the game but just aren't that sure about buying it themselves, that may be an avenue for new players. I've considered doing the same thing at my local game shop, running a meeting for people interested in an online RP venue and offering to pay for a few games myself. What do they have to lose at that point? If you find yourself in a position to do the same, go for it.

I'm willing to take point on 2 and 3, but I honestly suck at video editing and don't like narration. All the same, putting forth plans but never offering to follow through is not something I like to do. Anyone interested in making any of these things happen feel free to PM me or respond here.

I would like to point out here that I am the only one for over a year now who is even making donations to Amia itself. So aside of my help, Disco has been paying the server cost 100% alone. And no, I am not trying to pat my shoulder here, I am just pointing out people currently do not even support the server itself they play on (and I am sorry, make demands for regularly), so that might be an option before paying so other people can play.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 23:43 PM 

Tester

If people knew there was a need for other people to pay, they might. I had no idea it was only two people paying it currently; there's no monthly meter or way to know, unless we are told. I certainly feel more like donating now, but again, how was anyone to know? Can't fault people for not donating when we don't have any idea of the server costs, etc, as it is. Sure, every little bit counts, but most people will want to know how much of a difference they'll be making, if any.

With the GOG fund, the idea would be that it would be more visible. We can clearly see "we have X games already bought to give out to people." It would have to be transparent in the same way our server donations would need to be, so we can know how much is needed when we donate.

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2017, 23:48 PM 

Player

You guys could just set up a patreon and stick it in the sidebar replacing 'donate.'

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:02 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
If people knew there was a need for other people to pay, they might. I had no idea it was only two people paying it currently; there's no monthly meter or way to know, unless we are told. I certainly feel more like donating now, but again, how was anyone to know? Can't fault people for not donating when we don't have any idea of the server costs, etc, as it is. Sure, every little bit counts, but most people will want to know how much of a difference they'll be making, if any.

With the GOG fund, the idea would be that it would be more visible. We can clearly see "we have X games already bought to give out to people." It would have to be transparent in the same way our server donations would need to be, so we can know how much is needed when we donate.

This I agree with.

I think to often when discussions like this comes up, it becomes a fight between DMs and players, we are in the same boat. We really should stop arguing "You just bitch and moan!" "You are not active enough!" and it keeps going. It won't solve thing, it won't bring older players back.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 3:47 AM 

Tester

Update: r/dnd is fine with a post as well.

What are some ideas of what we want to say? Would it be better to have a youtube video to link to first, to give people and idea of the game, or is the forum enough? r/NWN obviously knows what the game is like, people on r/dnd may or may not have heard of it.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 3:50 AM 

DM

How about talk about the recent updates we have? We can get some screens set up for the shapechange stuff. Might bring some people in who are familiar with the game.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 4:04 AM 

Player

We could show off;

Classes (Have characters of interesting classes.) For example, show off main classes and prestige classes. Have a primarily Paladin character (Hector for example) to show off Paladin. Rosary for Sors. Someone for Shifter, Palemaster, Shadowdancer, e.t.c.

Aside this maybe we can show off custom content. By this I mean reskins / e.t.c. Show off possibilities of characters, horns, e.t.c.

Things that would really draw a player in.

And of course show the combat mechanics, roleplay aspect and maps.

Auri: Champion of Bahamut

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:02 AM 

Player

I think showing off custom contend and how far you can customize your stuff would be nice.

Things like the toggle-able summons. Clothing options. 1000faces. Shadowjump. Maybe all the RDD variants you can pick from etc.

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:18 AM 

Player

Bosses too. Definitely. Show a group of L30s who kill them. Like all the bosses you can.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:19 AM 

Player

As for transparency... we currently are discussing how we can possibly add more customizable areas (without needing a DM)

LibrisMortis_666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:54 AM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
As for transparency... we currently are discussing how we can possibly add more customizable areas (without needing a DM)

Customizable in what regard that would not require a DM?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:55 AM 

Player

In a similar regard as the custom houses, I would assume. Still discussing how it can and what can even be done.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 23:09 PM 

Tester

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:

Not to turn this into a "what I think would be neat" thread, but as you've mentioned you're looking at possibilities: I am still dreaming of dynamic NPC spawns that react to the town's fund chest. Donate a lot of books, more scholarly and priestly NPCs start appearing. Food items? Healthier people(and conversely, when you've got no food items, starving ones). Settlements are more dynamic, PCs and groups feel like they have more of an impact on their homes and in doing so, more drive to be involved with them.

------------------

No replies from other mods yet, but we've got the green light from r/neverwinternights and r/dnd. Showing off custom content is a good idea. I'll draft something up and put it here for feedback. I'm likely going to approach it as showing all the different possibilities of what you can do on the server. Yes, there's the classic dungeoneering and quests, but there's the job system, getting involved in political RP, or making up groups and bases yourself with the housing system. To us it seems mundane, but I have a feeling that will appeal to r/dnd. The ability to just pick something up and go with it, as long as it fits within the setting. Many of these people will already be familiar with Forgotten Realms, so they'll have a knowledge base that gives them a leg up in getting involved. It'll probably be good to tell them how our FR timeline differs from pure 3rd Edition as well.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 23:13 PM 

Player

Tell me if you need help showing off the custom content. I think I have a pretty good grasp on that and what can and cannot be done.

I warn you tho I know nothing of cutting or editing. XD

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 17:50 PM 

Player

If possible, we could write the current story of amia to give people some background to go off of when they join.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 24 2017, 22:46 PM 

Tester

Alright, so crafting a short narrative to explain the current state of the island and surrounding areas.

Current year: 1385

Significant events that have happened somewhat recently or continue to have aftershocks:

Arcanum War/Decimation of Shade(This goes without saying I think. But the idea of Amia as a healing, war-torn place of sorts has a certain appeal to it).

Spell Changes(We haven't touched on this much in terms of narrative. The ever-changing Weave is certainly an interesting draw for a story and several different PC groups have investigated on their own).

Brognedenstein War(Localized and remote, but certainly a big happening in terms of how many of Amia's settlements were involved.)

Deity Domain Shakeup(Not exactly recent, but a significant happening that sets us apart from normal NWN. Not as drastic as the Godswar, but it's the last time Ao actually did something in our timeline, to my knowledge which is an event in itself.)

What I'm going for in this is to give people a backdrop to the place they're joining, not say "this is the story, find how you fit in." Several people have said that Amia feels DM-story driven to them, but when I started it seemed like anything but; granted, I am from a different generation of Amians. If people want that sort of thing, it's here, but it really needs to come across as well that you can make your own story here, within certain parameters. A focus on settlements and the things that have happened there might give people an idea of what sort of character they could play there. Likewise, if none of those descriptions really jive with them, they might think there isn't a place for them. Depending on how long it takes, I may want to wait and hear more about this Dynasty Warriors sort of thing. Being able to show up somewhere and literally stake a claim opens a ton of new doors.

Anyway, I am missing UD and Ruathym "recent events" if anyone wants to suggest some highlights that are worth mentioning. I know the War Knight/Ostland God-Tree thing happened(and is long over), but know very little about it to write what is currently the situation. No idea Wiltuns current narrative. Yes, I know the UD is a ghost town, but there's got to be something there too... even if the narrative is that its a ghost town, prime for the (re)taking.

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 25 2017, 1:06 AM 

Player

Well..the list is somehow out of date there. In certain areas, the war recovery might be a thing but after 3 years, it mostly appears on the southern side of the island. Also..Shade is back now and the war in Ostland happened almost a year after the ARcanum was done.

Can issue a list on the currently visible state of affairs but most of the information can be found intentionally "encrypted" in the road rumors or other DM threads. Digging around (sometimes with DM help of course) for lore and learn about the unknown is a player responsibility and I personally want to keep it that way.
However, when I will have time to sit down on this weekend, I might as well update the timeline with the publicly known recent events.

Currently the merchant struggle and the forest happenings might be the most definitive events along with a few emerging events if you read the story carefully.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 25 2017, 2:12 AM 

Tester

In general, I agree with letting players dig around for information, but at a certain point things need to become public knowledge to players even if not IC(E.G. Godswar and Ao stuff). This lets people better understand the setting. Otherwise, you create this situation where everyone old is already in the loop while newer or less included players have literal years of lore to dig and catch up on before they're even relevant. Let's keep in mind, "finding out" old lore that isn't written down or physically in-game happens one of three ways: You ask a DM for a chance to find out(limited availability), search the forums(but there are years of threads and you may not know where to look), or you ask a PC(who may not want to tell you and the ones who know get fewer with the years)*. This has happened on a smaller scale in certain settlements. Many secrets are definitely there to be kept for people to discover, but we should consciously determine what those are, rather than default most as "find out IC". Else we're only creating another hurdle to jump in the process of getting involved.

For the purpose of this, we have to keep in mind our audience. New players, that is, PCs newly arriving to the island should have some idea of recent events. "Encrypted" information only works once the person knows what they're even looking at. A current, very general rundown of the state of affairs in each major area would be nice to see from the DMs or Devs. Sort of like the Settlement Synesthesia thread. Amia Island North, Amia Island South, The Far North(Brogendenstein and Forstakkr), Underdark, Ruathym and Exotic Locales(Khem, Tarkuul, Shadowscape) seem general enough to me.

Edit: Forgot about Ruathym.

Lutra

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 25 2017, 20:19 PM 

Player

Oh I agree with you there. will need a moment when I am not exhausted and thus can asses the info

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 26 2017, 13:59 PM 

Player

Once players are in, how do we make it so they feel they matter in the setting?

WrathOfTheNorth

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:18 AM 

Player

Get some small events in (For all levels,classes and races), Small NPC events, Encourage all alignments of all benefits and consequences to be unique.

The player base was dwindling for years and importantly people come on for progression. I havn't logged on in some time now but im gathering the DM's are doing what they can. I've spoken to a lot of people regarding amia and they consider it a dead place, but with a refreshed DM team (Both with newer blood and the experienced lot) the server can really come alive and be vibrant.

I DM for another server but if you want someone to help with requests on an administrative side with complete neutrality you could totally get people to help with that backlog.

Its a shame to see the server become what it is, but hells it can be a great place once again with very minor tweaking.

Not to pick on particulars but there is tarkuul there which I've seen multiple times not used to its full potential.

Recapping.

~ Get some fresh blood on the DM team if manpower's low.

~ Get some support for request approving/moderating.

~ Make the server come alive for the newer and older players alike with small events and interactions. (Nothing too complicated, a one encounter event is good.)

~ Support players initiatives with their ideas in small steps. As a player here I advocated a lot of faction roleplay (Tarkuul back in Lucius's day, The Gentlemens club/West Cordor, The Aurilites, Yoth Daggoth and his cronies, Not to mention having fun at the grove with the druid lot.) the existing players CAN do it.

Its sad seeing these posts being put here, Especially with a hoster that can continue the server on.

Hope this helps.

Khuul-Khuum -Icy Heart Award 2014- Joint 2nd Best Developed 2014!
Ordained Of Her Grace

san

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 27 2017, 15:26 PM 

Player

I wholeheartedly agree with the above post, as a player for many years (admittedly with a couple of long breaks) i always felt that some timezones and groups of players lacked some DM love time, while others 'seemed' to get all the love. There are players who are loud, make themselves known by getting involved in everything, and there are those players that don't want to be part of any big thing or gang, but are no less excellent role players.

In my short term back I have actually been pleasantly surprised by my experience. Since very little used to ever go on during my playing times UK evenings.

You're going in the right direction, spread the love, little things, little and often in my eyes is better than large and picky....

Rock on

Ade

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:31 AM 

Tester

I didn't mean to let this go so long without an update. Been dealing a lot in PMs and messages lately. I've gotten offers of help on different areas of this effort and I appreciate all of them.

So here's what I got so far in terms of an opening blurb for a reddit post:

Amia is a Neverwinter Nights(NWN) server set in the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Setting of Dungeons and Dragons. The current year is 1385. Our timeline follows the cannon setting until 1372; from then on, we have our own history and lore, crafted both by Dungeon Masters and players' influence on the world.

The focus of Amia is roleplay and personal narrative. While there are many quests to do in the module, places to explore, items to create and craft, and ongoing DM-run plots, Amia is ultimately where you make your own story with others. We have a wide variety of races, subraces, class modifications and additions that allow you to approach a character's design from many ways so long as they fit the general idea of the setting. For more exotic requests, we require that they be approved by the our team of DMs to make sure it is both well thought-out and cohesive to the setting.

The server's name comes from the main island of the server, Amia, which is east of the Moonshaes in the Trackless Sea off of the Sword Coast. It is inhabited by human settlements ranging from fishing villages to mighty mercantile cities, as well as the odd Halfling village and Elven enclave. To the north are the frozen lands of Brogendenstein and Forrstakkr, home to hardy northmen and dwarf alike. East of Amia lies the isles of Ruathym, similar in size to Amia, but much harsher and untamed. Here one can find the iron fist of the Wiltun Dynasty, cursed woods, and rustic villages under the firm grip of their respective jarls.

Far more exotic locations exist in the module as well. There is an extensive Underdark filled with beasts of all sort as well as a settlement or two of drow, svirneblin, duergar, and even draconic kin. Far removed from the Trackless Sea there is Khem within the Alambar Sea that borders both Mulhorand and Thay. Here one finds all the harshness of the desert and not without the occasional crypt of mummies, scorpion-men, and rampaging minotaur. In parts unknown there is Tarkuul, a fallen remnant of the Netherse Empire, home to necromancer, scribes, and scholars.

As a player, your character's goals in Amia are yours to make. Perhaps you wish join or create a faction, guild, or settlement of your own. Maybe it is the call to great heroism or villainy that draws you. Or, like so many before you, it is the lust for gold and adventure that has brought you to the Amian shores. Amia is a great place if you're looking for an environment to roleplay, adventure with friends, or try out concepts from PnP D&D with people online.

In this thread I'll be posting pictures, video, lore, current events, and explanations of what playing on Amia is like and hopefully how you can get involved and join us. In the meantime, feel free to check out our site and explore what's waiting to be discovered.

Open to suggestions, corrections on geography or grammar. It's late in my neck of the woods, but that's when I usually feel like writing. I'll give some more info on the stuff in that last section, the videos and pictures, after I've discussed them with the people helping a bit more.

Procyon02

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:25 PM 

Player

Might want to work in the level 30 cap somewhere it naturally fits. It's not make or break but anyone familiar with the game would benefit form knowing where it's capped and anyone who becomes interested in it from this post alone and then does some research could benefit from that information as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]