View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ] 
Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:36 AM 

Player

Ummm... i'm having mixed thoughts about this. In the past i lobbied for a Zone that was lawless. But a whole Island and Lore...seems a bit much to me. Not trying to dog on anyone. I just think a cut-purse ally, or series of ally ways in west cordor would have done the trick fine and been so much simpler.

Broldi

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:39 AM 

Player

I've heard nothing about this, is this a thing?

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:44 AM 

Player

Impknightofireland wrote:
Stuff.

Amia could always use more new content, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus it could strike up new initiatives for folks.I doubt the island will be on par with Kohlingen, Wiltun or Cordor. At least not from the inception.

Broldi

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:45 AM 

Player

If this happens I'll bring Maurice back so he can live there as a world boss. xD

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:50 AM 

Player

Broldi, check out this preview.

Right here.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:52 AM 

Player

I just feel a whole new island would separate and divide. Hopefully i'm wrong and it will spark more interest and numbers in our player base. *Shrugs* We shall see. Hope it works out for the best!

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 8:45 AM 

Player

I'm sure with a good base and healthy conflict in and around the island, it'll attract players back or spur new development. It also gives most evil folk (presuming that they'd have more sway there) a strong base. Although that depends entirely on how the island is governed and by what NPC/PC faction would hold the dominant position there. That's how I perceive the island right now.

Broldi

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:37 AM 

Player

I have very little hopes for conflict, especially after I saw a gnoll go through Bendir Dale yesterday and get given goodies. At that point I just concede that Amia is the nicest friendliest place in the entire history of forgotten realms.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:45 AM 

Player

Broldi wrote:
I have very little hopes for conflict, especially after I saw a gnoll go through Bendir Dale yesterday and get given goodies. At that point I just concede that Amia is the nicest friendliest place in the entire history of forgotten realms.

This.

I was just flabbergasted while seeing the whole scene play out. It makes me think if the reaction would have been different if it had been a dm controlled beastman npc.

There is no point in playing a "racist" char on Amia because you will immediately get shouted down as a bigot, lol.

Last edited by T0mc4t89 on Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:46 AM 

Player

Who knows! Maybe niceness bites in the butt some day and opinions change! :twisted:

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:54 AM 

Player

That said though, while some give anyone the benefit of doubt (in dubio pro reo), that is a personal character choice, I have seen quite a few react not so friendly to "monsterous" races, or simply usually evil races, too.

So it definitely aren't all that act friendly toward certain races.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:58 AM 

Player

Related to that gnoll incident, that was indeed a IG character choice. If it turns around to bite the character in the ass, then it's a lesson learnt IG. :) But this isn't related to the actual thread. You never know, the island could be a refreshing new start.

Edit: Added the last few lines.

Broldi

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:01 AM 

Player

That's the issue though. Monstrous race. It shouldn't be accepted. It's a monster. This is Forgotten Realms not freaking 2017 earth with LGBT pride rallies of acceptance. FR you see something scary and ugly, you kill it.

What I saw when people turned on a monstrous race was then half a server turning and hunting them down. xD

Revak, I hope you don't take that as a personal attack, it was merely an example of the many. I get Ania is all about promoting skill in battle on all fronts so I can't argue if she's trying to make a stronger opponent for the future sort of thing.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:07 AM 

Player

That's absolutely fair, I get your argument. Maybe if there was more of a clear view from the NPC feeling of such critters on their land (Kohlingen and Winya have clear examples) it more than likely would've prompted an alternate response. And I didn't take it as such, don't worry about that! :lol:

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:08 AM 

Player

Amia is honestly much more tolerant than the other Forgotten Realms settings I've experienced. I wonder occasionally if it might have something to do with modern irl western morality just creeping into pc behavior sub-consciously. It is understandable..but when you hear about metallic/chromatic huggle piles and see stuff like yesterday it makes you think what sort of char you should actually play on the server in order to enjoy it.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:13 AM 

Player

From what I have experienced and witnessed (mind this does not reply to ALL of those cases, but some) is that people tend to reflect RL "racism" on these cases. Which is somewhat understandable as it (still) is a very prominent topic in our real world, however not really fitting to the D&D world.

I cannot count anymore how often Malandria has been IC called a "racist" for demonstrating and voicing her hate for goblins and some other races.

Or how people started the "protect and safe the poor ogres" project when she wanted to clean the caves of Minmir. :lol:

Broldi

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 11:40 AM 

Player

I will say I recall Malandria was always very intolerant of Shade being a tiefling, that is one of my favoured parts when playing my tiefer was that there would be people that hated because he was a tiefling.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:51 PM 

Tester

If you're judging the tolerance of Amia by where our happy little hobbits hang out and everything from celestials to demon priests are given the space to exist so long as they "behave", you're being silly. It's one of the oldest loitering spots on the server, having seen numerous of weirdos to the point it actually deserved the lesson of "huh, some weirdos are alright." That is not a lesson many other places have learned other than maybe Cordor(which at one time was quite literally called the City of Tolerance).

There are plenty of places where monstrous races will not be accept, by PCs and NPCs. Surprise surprise, creatures don't tend to congregate where they know people will want to kill them on sight. It's almost as if they go to areas where they arent at threat of harm, when not causing harm themselves.

Oh there is certainly a bias against "racism" in the adventure community, but it's not without the history of 15 years of all sorts of freaks passing through and certain spots becoming okay with the idea. I'm not saying monstrous races shouldnt be ostracized at all. Im saying to expect them to be ostracized in all places simply because "this is FR and FR is like that" is essentially denying what is a realistic arc in context to the setting.

Can we get back to talking about PvP island? There looks to be strip clubs. Can i recruit the strippers to fight for me? What are their hourly wages?

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 13:03 PM 

Player

Beat up the bouncers and you'll find out ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MisterLich

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 13:04 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
From what I have experienced and witnessed (mind this does not reply to ALL of those cases, but some) is that people tend to reflect RL "racism" on these cases. Which is somewhat understandable as it (still) is a very prominent topic in our real world, however not really fitting to the D&D world.

I cannot count anymore how often Malandria has been IC called a "racist" for demonstrating and voicing her hate for goblins and some other races.

Or how people started the "protect and safe the poor ogres" project when she wanted to clean the caves of Minmir. :lol:

It's the same with almost anything that you use ICly that is a topic for social outrage. For example I got told I was harassing players when Frugdar used to call a couple of lesbian elves "deviants" >_> It's painfully obvious why people have those issues (i.e. such things being issues IRL still), but still it does get in the way of immersion sometimes. Amia's never felt like FR to me, more like fanfic with FR elements - which isn't necessarily bad all the time. Amia also has a lot more wiggle room for hilarity and hyperbolic concepts.

Dark Immolation makes a good point but I'll be honest, other than Wiltun and Kohlingen, and possibly Brog, monstrous PC's that RP being nice are immediately allowed almost anywhere else that I've seen, and aren't hunted down ICly. Always seemed a bit strange to me.

Back to PvP island though, I certainly hope there will be strippers on some of the islands (is it just one island, or multiple, actually?) It would be reminiscent of Cordor West's gentlemen's club, and quite frankly, it'd be metal as fuck if we could assemble the old crew for that, and make one island the source of drug traffic on Amia. A drug hideout. Then people could try to raid it too.

If these islands are implemented well they could be so much fun. A place in Amia driven by conflict and pvp, where us pvp whores can go have fun when we want to stab people and bully innocents, while people that don't enjoy pvp as much can keep doing what they do.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 13:05 PM 

Player

We do consider to add henchmen for higher (but thats more bruisers/mercenaries).

Not sure about the strippers! But hmm... it would be fun to have the option to click them and slip them some money and then they start to dance for a time.

Wonder if that is possible.....

Maaaaaavvvvv?

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 13:09 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Wonder if that is possible.....

Maaaaaavvvvv?

I'll ninja him

Why yes, yes it is, my pretty little pussycat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JUST CRACK THE WHIP AND ADD IT TO OUR PILE

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 14:03 PM 

DM

The faction system I am building will allow the construction of faction areas without any DM support. Which means we can transplant the system to the mainland and other places for the rest of the player base.

The PvP island will just have a higher concentration of these customization zones with loose pvp rules. So while I understand some peoples potential dislike of a lawless island, you simply can choose to not visit it but still have access to some of these customization zones on the mainland. Just be forewarned that the mainland ones will be more limited and will still have some sort of external force controlling the areas because of lore reasons.

As a side note, this lawless island could always become whatever you the player base decide for it. You enforce the rules, and the RP on the island. If you want to take it over and have it become a very lawful place, be my guest, but you have to be the one to enforce everything.

Once the basics of the system are established then I will be working on additional systems to strap to it. Mercs, siege weapons, etc are all ideas that have been thrown around and are very much doable. It is just a matter of giving me enough time and making sure some of these systems cant be exploited.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 14:09 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
Stuff

Will this be implemented for existing faction areas also, such as Kohlingen, Barak Runedar, Ostland etc?

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 29 2017, 14:16 PM 

DM

Probably not or at least not immediately.

The faction system will only allow control over one area, for now. Kohl, Barak, etc are all significantly larger than that and have years upon years of lore and DM influence invested in them.

The system is going to help bolster the player base's ability to get stuff done while not affecting the already current standing Lore/RP for the other areas. Amia is still going to be a DM heavy server which allows for a lot more personal attention when everything is working.

If the cities want to set a side land in their already significant sphere of influence then the system can be introduced in some way or form. That is for the residing DMs and player base of those groups to decide.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 30 2017, 0:38 AM 

Tester

I think it's better that way, really. There are places on Amia Island proper that people can claim and fight over, but for the rest there are much more NPCs and government pieces working than can accurately be represented in a purely mechanical system. But for smaller, less entrenched places it's perfect. And which do you really want to try to take over at the spur of a moment, anyway: the places that have been dealing with murderous adventurers and literal terrorists for years, or the unsuspecting coastal village ripe for the taking? You can still do the former, DM intervention isn't there to keep you from winning so much as it is to be true to the setting.

Big raids on long established settlements with thousands in population, hundreds of guards and fortifications: Yes. That needs a DM to fully articulate. JimBo Barbario and his 2 lackeys who took over the village of 30 in a drunken stupor a week ago: Go for it.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 30 2017, 1:00 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Big raids on long established settlements with thousands in population, hundreds of guards and fortifications: Yes. That needs a DM to fully articulate. JimBo Barbario and his 2 lackeys who took over the village of 30 in a drunken stupor a week ago: Go for it.

This sums up why it sounds fun.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 30 2017, 1:44 AM 

Player

This looks and sounds familiar to something I was working as a suggestion a while ago. If it is what I think it is I welcome it with open arms.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]