View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 23:09 PM 

Tester

walnutboy wrote:
Sorry, think I started something. My original intent was to try and understand what was possible to do/change script wise so started relatively simple before I made any suggestion.

A proposal many years ago in Testing was to have to have grenade-like weapons calculate their DC based on Dex. Additionally, MS would get an innate bonus to throwing their own grenades that others wouldn't.

That's still possible, script-wise. In terms of custom scripting, I could see making a custom "Grenadier" feat where the PC gets bonuses on grenade-likes. That would mainly be modifying the item scripts themselves.

But in general, I guess what you'd have to figure out is if you're looking for something to make your Master Scout better, or a way to make the class better. I think the latter is more of an Improving Amia topic, because it's less of a custom script request and more of a class improvement suggestion. I've never played either class, but I could see how KC seems to be a bit more powerful, both of the classes having having similar feat and skill requirements. The KC's position in a party is obvious and easily felt. MS was intended to be more of a mix of Rogue and Ranger, so in trying to make the class more impactful, we should keep in mind it's not intended to have the same sort of impact as Knight Commander anyway. One is a guy who stands in the middle of the fray, shouting orders, directing attacks. The other is meant to be a scout and master of moving through nature... what's good a way to make them better at what they do?

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 05 2017, 9:19 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
walnutboy wrote:
Sorry, think I started something. My original intent was to try and understand what was possible to do/change script wise so started relatively simple before I made any suggestion.

A proposal many years ago in Testing was to have to have grenade-like weapons calculate their DC based on Dex. Additionally, MS would get an innate bonus to throwing their own grenades that others wouldn't.

That's still possible, script-wise. In terms of custom scripting, I could see making a custom "Grenadier" feat where the PC gets bonuses on grenade-likes. That would mainly be modifying the item scripts themselves.

But in general, I guess what you'd have to figure out is if you're looking for something to make your Master Scout better, or a way to make the class better. I think the latter is more of an Improving Amia topic, because it's less of a custom script request and more of a class improvement suggestion. I've never played either class, but I could see how KC seems to be a bit more powerful, both of the classes having having similar feat and skill requirements. The KC's position in a party is obvious and easily felt. MS was intended to be more of a mix of Rogue and Ranger, so in trying to make the class more impactful, we should keep in mind it's not intended to have the same sort of impact as Knight Commander anyway. One is a guy who stands in the middle of the fray, shouting orders, directing attacks. The other is meant to be a scout and master of moving through nature... what's good a way to make them better at what they do?

You're right about changing MS it should be done in another thread however I think we only reached this point through an expanding idea. Originally I wasn't thinking of limiting things to one class nor the class type I play mostly but asking if it's possible to change, via scripting, the way certain aoe type, under used, items work... but I do have my answer as well as having encouraged another path of thought! So all good.

As for KC/MS comparison... nah, KC is a support class for a group but MS is pretty much all about self and survival I think.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:57 AM 

Tester

MisterLich wrote:
Spell Name: Protection From Positive Energy
Spell Level: 3
Class: Cleric
Area: Single Target
Range: Touch
Spell Description: As Negative Energy Protection, but protects against positive energy. Can be cast on undead allies, for example.

This has been approved for individuals in the past, I'd like to make it available to everybody please. It's simple, useful, it's in pen-and-paper, and the only balance concern would be that it makes Greater Ruin less awesome in pvp. I have no suggestions to alleviate that concern (other than more custom epic spells to replace the typical Greater Ruin/Hellball duo.)

I'm not familiar with the approved custom spell, but I assume it'd also be reduced to the current percentages of Negative Energy Protection, yes? 50% base, 5% added per focus.

I'd have some balance concerns if it stacked with regular Negative Energy Protection. Then you'd have two level 3 spells reducing the damage of Hellball significantly. I'd say it would be better if you could only have one or the other on, and/or perhaps make a BoT page that switches them over. Granted, it's already stupid hard to balance what should and should not be worth a 1 x Day Epic Spell/Feat use, but I don't think adding 50-65% Negative and Positive resistance that clerics can pass around to everyone is going to help the situation.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:11 AM 

DM

So did some testing with the Heroic Throw today and it seems to work pretty well. I just need to add a cool down so it isn't abusable and we are good to go. This is a slow and steady process to make sure stuff isn't broken!

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 13:09 PM 

Player

I will play my character who was going to be using it again soon then! :D

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
King of Barak Runedar and all round Vengeful Dwarf
- Alvian Tegleiwalla
Nerdy Painter Elf with a Silly hat

Riley

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 16:52 PM 

Developer

Quote:
There is currently a bug with monster abilities that does not allow us to set the CL of their abilities - it will always default to your current HD.

Is it possible that this may get fixed so players may be able to request monster abilities?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 17:24 PM 

Player

They can still be requested. Just lowered.

The elemental bolts we for example hand out with a 3xday. Elemental pulses 1xday. Auras are a flat no.

There is an overall limit on how much "free" spell power you are allowed to have on one character.

Riley

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 17:42 PM 

Developer

Fear howl mayhaps?

walnutboy

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 17:46 PM 

Player

Riley wrote:
Fear howl mayhaps?

I had the same thought.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 06 2017, 17:54 PM 

Player

Possible, as long as you are away it is nothing but a fancy gimmick. Fear howl is 10 + quarter hit dice DC. So for a lvl 30 chara you face a whooping DC 17 here.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 07 2017, 21:58 PM 

Tester

Pinkhaml86 wrote:
MisterLich wrote:
No worries, I can think of other barbarian feats instead if those are undoable.

I think some variety with rage feats would be really good to help encourage more barbarians (and more diverse concepts with them).

Yes please! :D

If people are looking for inspiration on some alternative Barbarian styles, might I direct you to the Totem Barbarian variant of the class. The idea of barbarians that take on specific aspects of creatures could tie in very nicely to the Uthgardt. Animal flavored rages seem pretty intuitive.

Quote:
Undead Swarm

Cool idea, but if these submissions still fall under the old general rules, that would count as a custom summon. Maybe if everyone has the opportunity to get it it's different? I don't know, but a workable alternative might be to reuse the normal Create Greater Undead summons, rather than make and balance new creatures. It could get done a lot faster, at least.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 23:26 PM 

DM

Dark Immolation wrote:
Wow. Well that was quick! Alright, I'm limiting myself to something simple and pretty universal. The other thing, I'll definitely get feedback on first from both DMs and the other players/PCs who could make use of it.

Spell Name: Greater Fireburst
Spell Level: Wizard, Sorcerer 5
School: Evocation
Descriptors: Fire
Area of Effect: 10 ft Radius
Target: Self(Unique Spell, Self slot)
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: Reflex, Evasion respected
Spell Resistance: Yes

Spell Description: The caster erupts in a terrifying burst of flame.

1d8 Fire damage per Level to a maximum of 15d8

Each Spell Focus adds 2d8 Damage

Metamagics: Empower, Maximize

Cast VFX: 481 VFX_FNF_SUMMONDRAGON + 494 VFX_FNF_DRAGBREATHGROUND
Impact VFX: 60 VFX_IMP_FLAME_M

**Edit by DM after Split of Topic, it was mentioned to maybe also make this available to druids and clerics with the fire domain.

Going to poke at this one next during my in between faction stuff.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 07 2017, 3:54 AM 

Tester

Here's one I've been thinking of, but I can't really imagine what it should do beyond the general idea of it.

Quote:
Feat: Drunken Mastery(General)

Requirements: 15 Constitution OR Diamond Body(Level 11 Monk)

While drunkenness is a state of weakness or vice to most, you are able to use it to your advantage, even in the midst of battle.

Obviously, it's taking inspiration from the trope of Drunken Boxing. The idea would be that alcoholic drinks(potions that have the Ale, Wine, and Spirit uses) would give you bonuses instead of just making you stupider. I'm having trouble thinking of what good bonuses would be, however. Alcohol is pretty cheap in game. But, you are spending a feat to get the effects from it, and the bonuses wouldn't last that long(60 seconds, just like the current drunk effects). Making you more elusive definitely makes sense, but without some minor drawback, I feel like it would turn into something where you're always slamming down Spirits for the greatest possible benefit. My thought so far:

Ale: +1 AC/AB, 10% Conceal, -1 Damage
Wine: +2 AC/AB, 20% Conceal, -2 Damage
Spirits: +3 AC/AB, 30% Conceal, -3 Damage

I think this could be done by modifying nw_s3_alcohol.nss to look for the custom feat and apply the correct bonuses by the drink. Sadly, I don't think you could get it to work with RP drinks and stuff(things that don't actually run off of the alcohol script). Anyway, that's the general idea. Anyone have any suggestions or input, if you think you have a character that would use this? The reqs are mainly to ensure it's used by PCs with decent constitution or who are otherwise resistant to intoxication. Dwarves and Drunken Masters delight.

Edit: Got Purity of Body confused with Diamond Body there. I changed it.

Cyan

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 07 2017, 13:49 PM 

Player

i played on a server several years back that had a drunken master prestige class. also had about 80+ other classes. believe it was part of the PRC pack. or one of them. where there multiple packs? idk, too lazy to look. but if you can find that, you might get some ideas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2