View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:51 PM 

Player

Will this apply to scripted abilities that have been done before also? At one point me and one or two other players were looking into an ability used by former players.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:55 PM 

DM

You are going to have to be really detailed about what ability? You talking a feat/spell/widget?

I definitely can do widget based abilities yes, but I would prefer using our custom spell/feat system.

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 12:58 PM 

Player

Ah, my apologies. I -think- it was a widget to simulate a ki ability used by BoB's Nevaeh and Remal's Malatril. Sorry for not having more information, it's been a long while since i've seen it in action.

Other than my question though, this seems great!

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:03 PM 

Player

Most, if not all, of the feats based on Ki we had (we checked them for possible public release) were deemed unfit for such, I'm afraid.

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:14 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Most, if not all, of the feats based on Ki we had (we checked them for possible public release) were deemed unfit for such, I'm afraid.

That's fair, thanks for the heads up. Does it stop potential future requests involving Ki being a possibility, however?

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:15 PM 

DM

Nope. Just please be realistic with what you expect them to do. I am not going to make a Ki ability that blows up half of Amia for example.

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:18 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
I am not going to make a Ki ability that blows up half of Amia for example.

There goes my dreams of going full super saiyan. :cry:

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:29 PM 

Player

I remember that thing. I think it turned the ki strikes into bonus divine damage. I think what Revak asks if Ania can obtain the same ability, or is it off the table at this point?

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:37 PM 

Player

Shadowfiend wrote:
I think it turned the ki strikes into bonus divine damage. I think what Revak asks if Ania can obtain the same ability, or is it off the table at this point?

It was an aura of ki IIRC, using elemental damage. Nev's was Fire and Mal's was Electrical.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:46 PM 

Player

Yea auras are something that likely won't happen much as they are a can of worms. That said this is the submission thread, so all this discussion should prolly be removed and moved to a discussion one

Magiros

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:50 PM 

Player

Great initiative! :) Make it all public!

Question: Can you fix an old spell and make it public availability at the same time?

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 14:02 PM 

DM

Yep.

Kudark

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 14:18 PM 

Player

Can you fix Alarm, and remove the Will Save?
The PnP spell has no save.

Rigela

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 14:41 PM 

Player

Kudark wrote:
Can you fix Alarm, and remove the Will Save?
The PnP spell has no save.

Looking to the original one scripted, it was deemed it needed one for balance, as to not just kill sneakers entirely with a level 1 spell.

Kudark

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 16:10 PM 

Player

Does this fall under Scripting? Making the PCs not bounce each other around.

I mean, PC Pong is fun when someone is AFK and you're waiting for them to come back, but it's very immersion breaking during RP, almost as much as pink text.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 02 2017, 6:52 AM 

Player

The above doe not strike me as something that needs to be wizard/sorcerer only.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 02 2017, 7:00 AM 

Player

i could see it as a druid base spell as well as a cleric fire domain spell.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 02 2017, 13:48 PM 

Player

I remember one of the dwarf players had a custom feat like this, where she tumbled to a new position and attacked an enemy. Not sure what the feat was named but the script might be already there. The PC was Nana Anvilmar.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 02 2017, 14:15 PM 

Player

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70335&hilit=nana+anvilmar this one here I'm guessing

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 02 2017, 15:00 PM 

Player

That's the cookie.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 5:12 AM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Yea auras are something that likely won't happen much as they are a can of worms. That said this is the submission thread, so all this discussion should prolly be removed and moved to a discussion one

It wasn't an aura, it was a power that added 1d10 electric or fire damage directly to their character, so it bypassed all resistances, but also was not multipled by vulnerabilities (ut was by crits), similar to how Divine Might works.

Kudark

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:08 AM 

Player

Quote:
Does this fall under Scripting? Making the PCs not bounce each other around.

Didn't get an answer, so it may have been missed.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:10 AM 

DM

That is a bioware hardcoded thing if I am not mistaken.

Kudark

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:12 AM 

Player

It's not hardcoded. I know other servers have some setting for it.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:24 AM 

Tester

That seems like an IA thing more than a custom request, though. The one setting I'm familiar with that negates the bouncing also lets you walk through people. Either way, the issue seems small compared to the alternative. Which do you want: to occasionally be bumped around if you're too close to someone, or occasionally have someone go AFK in a doorway and be trapped? :lol:

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:30 AM 

DM

Either way that is more of a bug fix than a custom script.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 6:56 AM 

Player

<.< I stillfeel we need a splot thread here 1. for the suggestions 2. for the discussions, this thread is a mess (not in a flamey but in an organisatory manner) already

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:04 AM 

DM

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
<.< I stillfeel we need a splot thread here 1. for the suggestions 2. for the discussions, this thread is a mess (not in a flamey but in an organisatory manner) already

Be my guest <3 We could keep this one as submissions and open a secondary discussion/questions one.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:04 PM 

Player

MisterLich wrote:
Third spell idea:

[ac]
Spell Name: Gaze From Hell
Spell Level: Epic
Class: Cleric (Could add wizard and sorcerer if needed for balance, though it seems like a cleric kind of spell)
Area: Single Target
Range: Long
Save: Will Partial
Spell Description: The caster of this unquestionably evil and vile spell draws power from the lower planes themselves - though not necessarily Hell, it can be any lower plane which has an evil affinity - and stares at their victim intensely, gazing into their psyche, showing the utmost of fear and annihilation to the recipient, destroying their will to live. This stare affects the creature in tangible ways, proving fatal to many unfortunate creatures who meet this gaze, forcing them to roll a will save versus death (DC 20 + casting stat), and those who succeed still take 10d8 untyped damage from the experience. Death immunity does not stop this epic spell from claiming its' victims.

Love this one, seems a bit overpowered though... On the other hand, that would give people a reason to stack something besides Fort :'D Also, it'd make sense for Wizards to be able to do this generally and for sorcerers atleast if they have a fitting bloodline. Just my two cents though.I have no idea of powerbuilding.

EDIT: Maybe make Death Immunity resist this? Would give people a chance to react if they are hit with a Mordenkainens, I think.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:11 PM 

Player

I personally don't like the idea of an epic feat going towards a 1/day ability that can be resisted with a level 4 spell. It already allows a reasonable save (since spell focus doesn't get used on epic feats) and only targets one person, meaning it might be very powerful in 1v1 pvp, but it will not destroy people in group battles or sway the tide of a DM event (most DM event monsters have huge saves, and there are often hordes of them.)

The basic goal, mechanics wise, of the spell, is to try to break the monotony of "stack fortitude and drink lesser mind blank" that people have, forcing most casters to either be spellswords, use IGMS if they're arcanists, or rely on trying to use hellball/GR to kill people.

Clerics, personally, have a bit of a better deal with Searing Light, but you can still healkit it away if you just stand there healkitting, because you can use like 3 healkits per round.

This would be a way to challenge the monotony, and it's kind of cool lore-wise too.

I'd be fine with it being available to wiz/sorc. Just wasn't sure if it'd fit lore-wise.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:18 PM 

Player

Luckbringer wrote:
I had something like this in mind for my WM before the scripting got shutdown:

Feat Name: Ki Smash
Prerequisites: Ki damage, devistating critical
Specifics: On a use of ki damage the weapon master channels their ki into a devistating weapon strike to the ground in front of their foes. The ground shakes causing all foes in the area effect (not sure size) to save vs reflex (dc 10+1/2 level + str mid) or be knocked to the ground for 1 round and take 1d6/level damage.

Was thinking it'd be a mix of dev crit and ki damage to disable and damage enemies. Figured it'd have to be a high level feat due to the power level although I'm not so good with balance. It could also use more than one use of ki damage if there's concern it could be spammed.

Might be a bit powerful because you can spam it way faster than dev crit, and the save doesn't add spellcraft presumably (or any other situational save bonuses), and you can also use this against entire groups, but I like the idea. Melee characters should have more variety like this and like the thrown-weapon idea. I like it.

I'd suggest this being a single target ability with perhaps a lower DC - or less of an ability to spam it multiple times. The DC could remain the same if it were maybe a 2/day thing.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 13:59 PM 

Player

Moved some posts... discussion here please, not in the submissions! Else Mav will go cross-eyed searching for the actual sumbissions!

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 14:03 PM 

Player

HERESY

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 15:58 PM 

Player

Mushidoz wrote:
My super selfish person would be wondering how the spell "Otto's Irresistible Dance" could be implemented to the game without it being broken. I have a widget that allows my character to perform a aoe version of this when she plays the violin, but the "Ask the players for their conscent" part of the pen and paper spells rule can make this kinda impractical for the usage Saya would make of that.

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Ot ... ible_Dance

P.S. Not really hoping to make this an actual useful power, rather make it an official spell so that I can drop the "Ask conscent" aspect of it.

Personally I'm not sure how Irresistable Dance would mechanically be supported WITHOUT being op, because it is "irresistable" - meaning no save.

I would, however, adore the Resistable Dance spell - watching low-will characters start dancing suddenly would be funny every now and then.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 16:35 PM 

Player

MisterLich wrote:
Mushidoz wrote:
My super selfish person would be wondering how the spell "Otto's Irresistible Dance" could be implemented to the game without it being broken. I have a widget that allows my character to perform a aoe version of this when she plays the violin, but the "Ask the players for their conscent" part of the pen and paper spells rule can make this kinda impractical for the usage Saya would make of that.

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Ot ... ible_Dance

P.S. Not really hoping to make this an actual useful power, rather make it an official spell so that I can drop the "Ask conscent" aspect of it.

Personally I'm not sure how Irresistable Dance would mechanically be supported WITHOUT being op, because it is "irresistable" - meaning no save.

I would, however, adore the Resistable Dance spell - watching low-will characters start dancing suddenly would be funny every now and then.

For the record, this is what I got:

Quote:
The affected (friends and foes in a 30 feet radius) must roll a Will save of 15 or be affected for as long as the playing continues. The subject feels an undeniable urge to dance and begins doing so, complete with foot shuffling and tapping. The spell effect makes it impossible for the subject to do anything other than caper and prance in place.

Restrictions:
* For the sake of fairness and balance, this must be used in Roleplay only (so the mechanical effects of Otto's Irresistible Dance won't factor in)

* The player must have the OOC authorisation to perform the song, -OR- have a DM allow it regardless of player consent

So while it is indeed called "Irresistible" and works as such in D&D, they still have to go through a 15 will save (which is laughable :( .. but still awesome ^^)

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 03 2017, 16:37 PM 

Player

Oh - then absolutely I support that. DC 15 will save is absolutely not broken. It's basically just a low-DC crowd control mechanism, from a balance standpoint. We have way more powerful abilities out there already (i.e. hold monster with a DC in the 30's on an enchanter, is easily achievable).

DANCE, MY MINIONS

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 9:21 AM 

Player

Odd question perhaps but is it possible to augment granade type weapons a little or introduce new ones? As a ranged fighter I know I'd certainly use something like the caltrops more if they did a little more damage or even introduced a slow aspect to it.

Seems odd someone could run over a field of spiky thinks, take really minor damage... and still be running full tilt with at least stopping to pick their way through the field!

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 13:28 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Odd question perhaps but is it possible to augment granade type weapons a little or introduce new ones? As a ranged fighter I know I'd certainly use something like the caltrops more if they did a little more damage or even introduced a slow aspect to it.

Seems odd someone could run over a field of spiky thinks, take really minor damage... and still be running full tilt with at least stopping to pick their way through the field!

What he said. Grenade-like weapons that are actually worth using would be awesome.

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 13:34 PM 

Player

Master scout class has such things, and should probably keep that niche/bonus to it. Some minor improvements that dont take away from it could be nice though however.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 13:49 PM 

Player

I mean, as someone who has used the master scout grenades, the only ones I actually use are the kaleidoscope ones, maybe the compression grenades on occasion when there is something to actually blow away. The shrapnell shell ones do ike.. 8-9 points of damage which well. Is rather unimpressive.

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 13:53 PM 

Player

Oh, I always thought they were better than that. Well then.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 14:33 PM 

Player

Rigela wrote:
Oh, I always thought they were better than that. Well then.

As a master scout user I would use them if they were useful... hence why I asked. Not sure how they work or if they can be altered in any way shape or form. Like Tarnus I only really use the one and that is... well, lower areas are a blast with blind foes and allies alike. The compression one well yeah blows away acid cloud and similar only but as most of those are either short duration or used in large areas.. you can avoid them! That and most people are immune or can resist cloud cover effects I find. The secondary feature is nice as it shows up all the traps in the area of affect... but any character using master scout can likely see them anyway. Not sure if the traps show up for others or just the grenade user.
Never used thunder clap nor the shrapnel one but if it did more than the caltrop and slowed people down I would!

Could always add master scout only bombs like the assassin has but as far as I know... we don't rp master scout as a group hence why shana calls herself a survivor. lol

Last edited by walnutboy on Mon, Sep 04 2017, 14:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 14:33 PM 

Player

Uhm... Maybe buffing the Master Scout ones then? Don't know if that would make it too strong or anything.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 14:54 PM 

Player

Depends on how much you buff 'em really. But there is presently no reason why my PC wouldn't just hit things with her longsword instead :P The Kaleidoscope ones are okay as a combat opener, can usually still fish for 1's at least and works okayish against beastmen I 'spose <.<

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 14:54 PM 

Player

I am not going to call Master Scout a bad class, as it's not. But what it offers to the table pales in comparison to it's 5 lvl counterpart, the Knight Commander. It does have some nice things like the +2 ab in natural areas, your own source of potions and flame weapon, and freedom of movement, but KC offers a lot more.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 15:03 PM 

Player

I mean, MS is definitely a good class, AB increase, Battle Fortitude, Perma Freedom, two Bonus feats which especially if taken in epics can be pretty good is definitely very nice. At the same time, I don't think it would destroy class balance if the bombs did actual damage or had more variety. The former is prolly relatively easily doable, not so sure how easy it is to add more bombs though. What would generally be rather nice would be an expansion of most of the crafting bits, but again, not sure how easily that can be done.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 16:54 PM 

Player

Sorry, think I started something. My original intent was to try and understand what was possible to do/change script wise so started relatively simple before I made any suggestion.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 20:29 PM 

Player

Well, the MS grenades... Especially shrapnel, I feel has a few problems. Even right now, if you have no defense against it, it completely shreds. Like, at a level where you dodge none of the shrapnel, it's quite a few ticks of nice damage. But it's resisted too easily. Because it is split into multiple ticks of damage (I have no idea of the mechanics, but I'd guess something like 6d10, but split into 6 times 1d10) any sort of DR (even ghostly visage) takes a huge chunk from the damage, coupled with the fact that most won't hit you in late levels, it seems to underperform, hard.

The compression screwed me over real hard though, personally. It's like, I made a character, knowing I could rely on it. But there is a small problem with the script. I believe if a trap is directly linked to a door, see traps will not see it.

And, well, caleidoscope is a roll for 1s, which can make a fight if a one happens, but if you roll anything but that (and I'm not sure how MB works with it) it isn't too great, IMO.

So, I'd love it if those were looked over, since they could be pretty cool, and like the aspect of MS that they get some nice bonuses with crafting. I mean, personally, I would like better crafting more than better straight up combat, simply because it seems more fun. It would make MS even more unique than just the 'I get bonuses outdoors, like +2 AB'...

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 20:52 PM 

Player

MS is also a fantastic tumble dump class in epic, given how much it gets you and also free stats.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 04 2017, 23:09 PM 

Player

I think the shrapnel grenade is 1d6 per level, but don't quote me on that.

I've won several times with the kaleidoscope grenade, it's the best grenade of the bunch with that 30 will save that can catch a lot of non-casters off-guard.

While the custom scripting was open last time I considered making a grenade that forced a reflex save, or you would be rooted for 1 round/ level. Similar to the kaleidoscope bomb, but with a reflex component rather than will.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next