View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
walnutboy

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 10:23 AM 

Player

... they say both influence each other but at times they step too far for personal tastes. Traps in caves, well armed monster and general misfortune are one thing but bombs in bars given currents and recent events in the world are another entirely.

I could just ignore it, I could send a PM but I feel objection and criticism are best shared rather than hidden in private. As much as it pains me to say it, I don't want any part in such a story line. For those who will jump on me as say 'it's just a game' I will point out the same... this is a game I play for enjoyment and to avoid the negative aspects of the world.

I genuinely enjoy playing with you guys but this type of story doesn't provide 'fun' or disconnect from real life so I will not be taking part.

Sorry, this isn't a discussion or a call for discord but my personal feelings and stance.

Yours respectfully,
Chris aka walnutboy

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 13:43 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
bombs in bars

I could just ignore it

Saya cannot be ignored!.. :P

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 14:47 PM 

Player

You have every right to leave, especially if the server is not catering to your kind of play style. From how it sounds, your play style would be better on sinfar, for it provides a light hearted mood where pvp is little to none in the main city. However, if this is an isolated incident of a one time thing, wouldnt this just be a minor conflict of interest?

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 15:04 PM 

Player

Okay... telling a player to leave the server over one plot is really not something to do.

Amia has had thousands of plots over the years and not every plot is for everyone. Hence why plots are optional. You can participate, you do not have to. And if you feel uncomfortable in a plot you can always tell the DM you want out of it ooc, and they will find a way for you to do that without it having IC consequences.

P.S. Please stop advertising other servers on our server, it is very poor taste and petty.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 15:10 PM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:
You have every right to leave, especially if the server is not catering to your kind of play style. From how it sounds, your play style would be better on sinfar, for it provides a light hearted mood where pvp is little to none in the main city. However, if this is an isolated incident of a one time thing, wouldnt this just be a minor conflict of interest?

What?

Walnutboy's problem is that the event took a turn that was too similar to the many terrorist attacks around the world recently. It has nothing to do with preferred play-style. You can prefer a "darker mood" and still don't be alright with a plot if it lands too close to heart.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 15:23 PM 

Player

So are Talassans out of luck because of the worse hurricane season, as well?

This isn't meant to be a 'nya you're thin skinned' post, but at some point it becomes difficult to keep a running tally of what may or may not be offensive at the moment, and red X-ing things that are fine in character because politics suck at the moment is a little... well, it is a game.

LeathanKayne

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 15:29 PM 

Player

Chris,

I apologize that I've upset you with this. I definitely have a black list of things I wouldn't do because they mirror events that have happened in real life. If I'd heard of a bar bombing having happened somewhere, I wouldn't have gone ahead with it. I tried to write it more as a fire trap than a bomb, but I'm sorry it hit too close to home for you either way. I'll keep your thoughts in mind for the future.

As Amarice said, participating in plots are optional, and I'll do my best to keep you out of this one since that's what you'd like.

Thank you for sharing,

-LK

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 15:51 PM 

Tester

TormakSaber wrote:
This isn't meant to be a 'nya you're thin skinned' post, but at some point it becomes difficult to keep a running tally of what may or may not be offensive at the moment, and red X-ing things that are fine in character because politics suck at the moment is a little... well, it is a game.

Exactly. It is totally alright to not want to participate in a particular event. But jeez, there are tragidies and mishaps that go back to the dawn of human history that can and will in someway be vaguely similar to anything you recreate in a game. It's not that it's "just a game," it's a setting in which you participate.

I'm not exactly sure what the criticism or the suggested alternative is supposed to be here. You experienced something that made you uncomfortable. You have opted out of it. The rest are free to continue on. That seems workable as it always has.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 16:01 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Okay... telling a player to leave the server over one plot is really not something to do.

Amia has had thousands of plots over the years and not every plot is for everyone. Hence why plots are optional. You can participate, you do not have to. And if you feel uncomfortable in a plot you can always tell the DM you want out of it ooc, and they will find a way for you to do that without it having IC consequences.

P.S. Please stop advertising other servers on our server, it is very poor taste and petty.

I am not telling him to leave the server. I just want to understand why he left the server. I do not want him to leave, but I am not going to hold him back if this is what he wants. If amia is unable to provide for what he wants, then I want to help him find what he wants. And I agree with talking with the dms, for talking with each other is excellent for creating a more potent community.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 16:08 PM 

Player

... he said he is leaving this plot... not this server....

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 16:28 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
So are Talassans out of luck because of the worse hurricane season, as well?

This.

Lutra

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 09 2017, 18:08 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Sorry, this isn't a discussion or a call for discord but my personal feelings and stance.

Yeah but you wanted to share it and thus wanted to start a discussion even if not necessarily consciously, but you wanted it. Thanks for doing that because feedback like this one can be really helpful in our work here.
Personally I had the same feelings when the Arcanum/Commonwealth thing started. I tried to export it to others but soon realized that others just couldn't draw the same relevance. People are different and the sensitivity factor is different.

We will try to be more conscious about these things and your post will definitely help.

The Little Dragon wrote:
I am not telling him to leave the server. I just want to understand why he left the server. I do not want him to leave, but I am not going to hold him back if this is what he wants. If amia is unable to provide for what he wants, then I want to help him find what he wants. And I agree with talking with the dms, for talking with each other is excellent for creating a more potent community.

Then please read what the post is about first before you say something like that. Thank you.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 10 2017, 0:14 AM 

Player

Nobody's leaving the server.

A dude didn't think that a terrorist-boming-themed event was a very tasteful event and mentioned it and mentioned he isn't going to be taking part.

It's not a huge deal.

It's possible they may have been personally affected by an attack, but either way, them sharing their feelings like this, while we don't share their feelings necessarily, is fine and doesn't require any discussion other than "thanks for sharing your feelings," they very clearly don't desire (nor deserve) criticism for their decision to not partake in something they dislike.

So while one CAN critique them mildly for it, I don't think it's useful and it's just pontificating into the void. Let bygones be bygones.

Jes

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:16 AM 

DM

^ This. Walnutboy posted about his feelings to let people know - not just the DM. So, for example, my character won't be trying to drag his character into something related to the plot. We post our feelings all the time, and I agree that if something upsets you it should be okay to post about it without someone harping on you for it.

It is just a game, yes. But he has every right to express his feelings about this particular thing that hit close to home. I don't see where he says anything like "Don't do stuff like this, you crazy DMs."

That said, there's room for discussion about the topic in general, I think. The way art imitates life is an old thing. Sometimes it can be scary and a lot of times it's not even a conscious thing. But it does add realism, even if your mind doesn't immediately make the connection. I didn't think anything of the similarity when I first read the Kohl post, but after reading the OP here I kinda cringed a little with sympathy because I could then see why he drew that connection.

Stuff is scary and people have different reactions to stuff based on their own experiences. Which is totally fine!

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 10 2017, 13:34 PM 

Player

I had misread then.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 10 2017, 13:55 PM 

Player

Personally speaking, I am very passionate about music, and I love music that speaks of real life. Stuff like A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, which is a song depicting a dying person's last words and wishes - which are simply "I love you all" and wishing that their friends would be happy and remember him fondly - is beautiful I think.

Alaria-

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 10 2017, 14:10 PM 

Player

As a player I respect your opinion, Walnut!! Not all plots are for everybody. Some players may be a bit 'all consuming' in terms of story, but I have met several players who shy away from certain topics(Romance, modern 'racism' or whatever!). I think that the most important person to know about this is the one 'pushing' that particular RP and it makes me happy that was achieved here.

It's nothing wrong and I think you did the right thing by telling everyone. So for that you get a hug! :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]