View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:46 AM 

Player

When requesting a powerful item of Epic Loot quality, does it cost straight Dream Coins? Or a combination of Gold and Dream Coins? Could i request such an item and just pay strictly gold coins for it? LOL I have honestly never made a request or asked about how it all goes down before.

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:49 AM 

Player

It costs both DCs and IG gold. For instance, Genevieve's Splint-mail cost 21 DCs and 450k IG gold!
:P

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 17 2017, 2:04 AM 

DM

If you go about making it yourself, or putting in the RP to have someone make it you just need the DCs.

The Djinn is just a good IC entity that will make anything you wish. As a result there is the DC and the gold cost.

Xenos

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 5:15 AM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
If you go about making it yourself, or putting in the RP to have someone make it you just need the DCs.

The Djinn is just a good IC entity that will make anything you wish. As a result there is the DC and the gold cost.

Might be players out there that are able to make your DC items as the Djinn does too, who may well charge coin for services.

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:25 AM 

Player

As an aside, how do you go about enchanting something with a property outside of the mythal system without involving the Djinn? We are talking things that are not likely too overpower but could be seen as more unique one off items that a character could sell themselves or pass on, don't even mind if they appear in certain stores at certain times as limited editions.

Is such possible?

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:12 AM 

Player

Xenos wrote:
Maverick00053 wrote:

Might be players out there that are able to make your DC items as the Djinn does too, who may well charge coin for services.

Honestly, if I were a player who put skill ranks, feats, job system points and RP effort into this, I'd be very put out by the Djinni nulling all that with a forum post...

It'd be one thing if such players were long inactive, but they still are very much around.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 14:01 PM 

Player

MightNMagic wrote:
Honestly, if I were a player who put skill ranks, feats, job system points and RP effort into this, I'd be very put out by the Djinni nulling all that with a forum post...

It'd be one thing if such players were long inactive, but they still are very much around.

That's part of why I also have a problem with the djinn ^^ I do not have any skill in such a job (yet..?), but I find it takes away some of the fun of having to interact with players who invest points / efforts into that. I like to see this as a last resort option, after you've tried several times to find a player that can help you with the request but ended up being unable to find one in your time zone.

Nivo

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 14:31 PM 

Player

As someone who played a character who did a lot of artifice, and who has a character now who is learning and honing his artifice skill, the djinn does not bother me overly much. I acknowledge that the djinn offers an easier path for players to acquire DC gear (both OOCly and ICly), but I have seen PCs seeking other PCs for enchantment projects to know it has not obsoleted the PC artificer entirely. I will say it is easy-mode, however, given the length I have gone in some of my own DC item requests! But given the server these days, the lower player-count and the relative age of the game we are still investing time into, it's a good option.

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 15:53 PM 

DM

Yeah, my character has made DC gear for people before, too, and will continue to do so! The djinn is a clear competitor that she will never truly be able to compete with, but at least there are other options for people if they don't mind going about it differently. The djinn may be super easy, but sometimes you can get more out of it when you go the RP route instead.

Well, at least I get more out of it! :D

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 17:29 PM 

Tester

Both as a player and as my main, I prefer RP crafted route, if it's an item of any significance. At the least, some sort of quest.

There are of course limits to what is granted in any request, but from my experience you are given a bit more leeway if you put your own effort into it. DC requests are one of the places we can give actual weight to things that aren't accounted for in vanilla mechanics alone. It doesn't always mean you get anything and everything simply because you're "sub-optimal" or spent a year building up to it, but there are certainly things that can be reasoned in your favor when looking at what is possible.

If there are people looking for help with their IC crafting, there are still characters around who can help. I look at the Djinn as fast food. If you want something quickly, with little fuss, it's there. But if you want something actually special, and maybe a little better if you put in the effort, that's where RP crafting comes in.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 19:43 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
If there are people looking for help with their IC crafting, there are still characters around who can help. I look at the Djinn as fast food. If you want something quickly, with little fuss, it's there. But if you want something actually special, and maybe a little better if you put in the effort, that's where RP crafting comes in.

Except the djinn is fast food that is as healthy and nutritious as the secretive restaurant that you need to ask foodies information on before even locating it. Then once you found said restaurant, it will take 30 minutes before you are served, instead of 1 minute at the Djinn-Donald's. From what I know, the only advantage of going the PC route is that you get to roleplay with that PC...

I don't know, I understand why the djinn is there, I just find it a bit cheap.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 19:56 PM 

DM

The Djinn still costs a lot of gold on top of the usual DC cost. The better the item the higher the cost.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 20:05 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
The Djinn still costs a lot of gold on top of the usual DC cost. The better the item the higher the cost.

I have a PC dwarf working on a shield right now, and I'm paying 500 000 for it. It will cost me DCs too.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 23 2017, 20:53 PM 

Tester

Mushidoz wrote:
From what I know, the only advantage of going the PC route is that you get to roleplay with that PC...

Not entirely true. Fear Immunity is an example of something that could possibly be gained from a really deserving or appropriate request, but is no longer going to be "handed out" on most items. It may not be quicker than Djinn request, but RP request definitely make a better argument for getting to the higher levels of what is allowed. I can remember at least once instance of DMs saying that they'd like to see more effort put into the item for its requested stats, rather than having the Djinn craft it.

The Djinn may seem cheaper because the time it cuts out of the request. A Djinn request has the advantage of the DMs already knowing who, what, and why, and most of the time players have already asked Ama what is the maximum limit of what he could craft before the request is made. This is of course quicker than: blindly making a request, DMs determining if the caster/crafter involved could make the thing requested, haggling, and then balancing against that against what is/was allowed.

There's always the pre-balanced, pre-priced list, which ideally does the same thing for PCs. Assuming you have some skill in the right fields and RP, those are item stats that are already accepted and should cut down on time. If it's something not listed there or something more powerful than DMs feel comfortable handing out without tons of effort, there's where RP comes in. From what I've seen, most Djinn requests are asking for Epic Loot or variations of it. I feel that cheapens that loot, more than it does requests in general, but I also understand why it was wanted as an option.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]