View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 5:45 AM 

Player

I am curious. Why are there so few followers of this faith upon Amia all these years?

Drakos_Vek

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 6:25 AM 

Player

From what I have observed since Derryn's Triad days, there seems to be some sort of curse in that only one Helmite can exist on the server at any one time.

But on a serious note, there have been a number of characters that followed Helm, just none that overt about it. Paladins tend to favour deities like Tyr, Torm or Bahamut, gods who actively favour the smiting of evils. Helm in comparison, is a much more passive deity and can be viewed by players as rather stiff in comparison.

That's only my speculation though. I don't understand how anyone can be bored with the god that one-punched Mystra out of existence.

Derryn de'Drenise - Watcher of Helm - Scolder of witches and wizards

That Guy

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:59 AM 

Player

I have had a few. Tristen Swift comes to mind.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 12:34 PM 

Player

He's sort of forgettable, in a way. Apart from having done an awesome thing or two, he really doesn't stand out from the crowd. Want a zealous guard-type? Tyr does similar, with a sprinkling of "deus vult". Duty? Torm. There's a rather long list, and I'm deliberately generalising here.
Clerics are generally a somewhat rare thing, and they generally stick to more... interesting deities. Basically, a Helmite cleric is a glorified guard. And those are... well, they're in limited supply these days. Helm isn't exactly an adventuring god. Essentially, that means the zealots will be the more radical deities, and the layworshipers... Barring exceptions, you're not going to find them discussing it all too much. The amount of times deities come up is discussions for non-divine PCs is rather limited.

Now, me, personally? I got really close to making a Helmite once. I actually regret not making one, because I could have literally played the same concept in easy mode as a Helmite. Decided to go with a deity I found cooler.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 22:23 PM 

Tester

robbi320 wrote:
Apart from having done an awesome thing or two...

Let's not undersell it. Imagine punching someone through the chest so hard that it 1) destroyed the physical and spiritual body of a god 2) blew up a castle that was on another plane and 3) inadvertently created a major artifact that continuously shows a Pay-per-View style replay of the ass-whooping for all eternity, while causing dead/wild magic in a 1-mile radius.

That's far from forgettable, dog. He was at the top of his game in 2nd edition. 3rd edition gave him a break to give other gods some needed spotlight, but his clergy basically got to play conquistadors in Maztica at the same time. 4th edition made him along with the Triad some sort of divine farce play. Haven't heard too much about him in 5th except that he's back along with most everyone else, because Muh'Mystra.

I will say he could be seen as a sort of "secondary" god like you say, as guardians are less often seen as adventurers. Usually, they're breaking into stuff, rather than keeping people out. He has his zealots(see: Maztica), but yeah, he's always struck me as a god that's sort of in the background as needed. Like Sune, Milil, or Lliira. Beauty, song, and joy are obviously big parts of human culture and need representation in the form of gods(just like guardianship). But it's less common that adventurers focus on those sorts of things. They might be one of the gods that adventurers "check in" with as needed, like saying a prayer to Valkur or Umberlee before setting out to sea.

Anyway, Helm is heckin' cool in my book, as long as you play up his weirder, esoteric aspects beyond dude-in-fullplate. His holy symbol is essentially a hamsa. Umberlee drowned his GF, Murdane, and no one really knows what's up with that beyond it somehow being Lathander's fault. He uses freaking lawful-neutral beholderkin as his servants. I'm surprised there's never been some sort of team up between him and Savras or Deneir. Something where Helmites would serve as the Divination-Police for clergies when they catch someone scrying info they ought not. Intellectual property needs guarding too, you know? Honestly, Helm is just a victim of a bad advertising. The second you get a PC or DM to focus on his traits beyond being medieval Robocop, he gets a lot more interesting.

Drakos_Vek

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15 2020, 23:54 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Let's not undersell it. Imagine punching someone through the chest so hard that it 1) destroyed the physical and spiritual body of a god

"She no longer exists as you know existence". Such cool, such wow.

Although the death of Mystra, and the dead/wild magics results that became known as "Helm's Legacy" are legitimate IC reasons to explain the downfall in Helmite worship.

But like DI mentioned, Helm and adventurers are not necessarily good fits. Helm advocates the protection of the weak and not digging dangerous crap up, whereas adventurers are mostly all for it and causing the downfall of the civilised world through negligence.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:52 AM 

Player

1. Helm was never popular enough in Kohl or amongst the Kohl population. Given that it was basically good/neutral cleric central back in the day and the only place with Paladins after Benwick, those that rolled there mainly went with the triad, or more specifically Tyr/Torm ....or Bahamut, because ....knights love dragons???

2. After the Tower of Mystra moved into Kohl, Helm became even less popular because of certain mystrans always bringing up what he did as "proof" that his followers are blindly devoted to duties. Revenge for suckerpunching Mystra. A viewpoint my character happily pushed on every chance he got when he was magister of Kohlingen and defacto PC Kohl faction leader for a time.

3. He was the most popular false flag deity of all time on Amia. Every spy and their mom was a "helmite". Why? Because it was easy to emulate it and get away with it. So every legit helmite tended to have to jump through extra hoops in addition to 1 & 2. The idea was probably not stolen from the NWN original campaign... probably.

I'd list more but IMHO... NOW would be the perfect time for increased Helmite presence on Amia. Kohlingen gone, most of the island is in disarray or weakened and commoners/civillians are more vulnerable and less secure than they have been in over 12 RL years.. seems to me that it would be very smart for a bunch of Helmites to appear and offer the commoners what they now probably desperatly crave; safety and stability. Food for thought..

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:46 AM 

Tester

Gravemaskin wrote:
seems to me that it would be very smart for a bunch of Helmites to appear and offer the commoners what they now probably desperatly crave; safety and stability.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:13 AM 

Player

Some real good feed back and insight. Hopefully this thread will drum up some interest and we will see some more Helmites in the future. In eight years I have only come across three other main Toons that followed Helm. One was I believe a cleric of kohl, was dark brown, bald and had a goatee. Can’t remember his name, the other two were Ryvik (Sp) and Izrial Skyfall. I myself have played four over my years here. Helm has just always been my Jam. My main, because of backstory is not divine, more of a swordsman. Would be awesome to Rp with more who are Pally and cleric focused when I return. Had to step away do u RL and focus on my health, but I had a lot of plans for my Helmite. In my free time I have been writing back ground story I meant to years ago. Hope to have it up on forums in a few weeks. Think it will give a lot of meaning on how I Rp my Toon and make more sense to folks. I always figured Helms smack down of Mystra played a big part on his popularity on the server, but his dedication, loyalty to a fault has always been what I admired the most about Helm. He chose duty over love. Oathsworn.

P.S. Helm is Jon Snow!

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:38 AM 

Developer

Helm is a dink. That's why.

If a hall monitor ever became a deity he would turn into Helm. Put stripes and skates on Helm and he'd be Andy van Hellemond. Helm is the cop that gives you a ticket for going 66 in a 65. Helm is the unsweetened almond milk of deities; not nice enough to be flavored with sugar or vanilla, not mean enough to make me crap my pants for no reason like regular whole milk. If Helm were a car he would be a late model Toyota Corolla base model. Helmites tune their radios to NPR at a reasonable volume and rip off the knobs. If Helm were a location he'd be Lincoln, NE. When asked what comic strip character he most identified with Helm was quoted as saying, "Ziggy's pet rock."

In short, Helm is a dink.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:43 AM 

Player

ucfgoose wrote:
Helm is a dink. That's why.

If a hall monitor ever became a deity he would turn into Helm. Put stripes and skates on Helm and he'd be Andy van Hellemond. Helm is the cop that gives you a ticket for going 66 in a 65. Helm is the unsweetened almond milk of deities; not nice enough to be flavored with sugar or vanilla, not mean enough to make me crap my pants for no reason like regular whole milk. If Helm were a car he would be a late model Toyota Corolla base model. Helmites tune their radios to NPR at a reasonable volume and rip off the knobs. If Helm were a location he'd be Lincoln, NE. When asked what comic strip character he most identified with Helm was quoted as saying, "Ziggy's pet rock."

In short, Helm is a dink.

LMAO Don’t hold back, tell me how you really feel! :lol:

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:53 AM 

Developer

At least part of it was my real thoughts. I suppose I would think of it like this: how would followers of each deity handle it if they caught you driving with weed in a place where it was illegal? A follower of Tyr would take it from you and dump it out on the road as it's not legal to have and if he does that you no longer have it; justice is served since you weren't hurting anyone even though you were breaking the law. Torm would probably write you a ticket to appear and take away your pot. Ilmateri would let you go and give you some Doritos to help with your suffering of the munchies. Banites would smash out your tail light and add that on as an additional charge after macing you on your way to jail. But Helmites? Helmites would just put you in the cruiser and take you to the jailhouse before crossing the border into another state where they can smoke out on their day off.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Drakos_Vek

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:12 AM 

Player

But Helmites are never off duty...

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:15 AM 

Player

Fudge, Johnny law must have done u wrong! I always have seen Helmites as guardians, not so much as a police force.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 5:29 AM 

Player

Some Church’s of Helm loan there clergy out to Merchants as guards to make revenue for there Temple. Is there cannon from books I am unaware of that paints them as you do ufcgoose?

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:40 AM 

Player

Impknightofireland wrote:
One was I believe a cleric of kohl, was dark brown, bald and had a goatee.

If we're thinking of the same one, he wasn't a cleric of Helm but a cleric of Gargauth masquerading as a Helmite.

Drakos_Vek

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:57 AM 

Player

Gravemaskin wrote:

If we're thinking of the same one, he wasn't a cleric of Helm but a cleric of Gargauth masquerading as a Helmite.

I mean, the goatee says it all, doesn't it?

Anyway, you can safely ignore what goose is saying. Haters gonna hate, especially with a record like Kuria's.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:04 AM 

Player

I just fail to see the comparison he is trying to make between modern day police force and Helmites of forgotten realms. Helm is lawful neutral. I don’t see him making his clergy round up minority races to feed a plantation like prison system and go around writing tickets to drum up revenue for the mans plan. lol

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:04 AM 

Player

Gravemaskin wrote:

O.o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]