View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
sword dream

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 29 2017, 23:03 PM 

Player

hi! i just leveled my pc to 23 and it hit me...i really dont want to go any higher than this. mostly because it means i can be compatible with most hunting parties. so im blocking xp from kills from now on, and only advancing due to DM means and perhaps a couple of other ways.

Now ive seen the rules about burning DCs for XP so i thought can i burn XP for DCs, and the answer has to be 'No', because then you can just farm DCs, making it take away the whole purpose of DCs (rp). so DCs are out of the picture, but...

is there a way that we can trade xp/levels for something else? gold would seem the easier choice but perhaps my limited imagination has passed over something. any thoughts or am i just daydreaming?

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 0:03 AM 

Player

You mean, what can DC get you?

You can request special items and perks and characters with DC. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking :/

Budly

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 2:02 AM 

Player

No, he wants to know if he can trade lvls over 23 for gold. Since he wants to keep lvl 23 and not go above it.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 8:21 AM 

Player

Currently this isn't done as far as I know, and one of the reasons I think why is because it sounds like it's a system that could be exploited if automated. (Some people are very -very- good at farming XP quickly at any level, but the lower the level the faster the farming)

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 11:20 AM 

Player

I feel like a few things are going to be pretty difficult to balance in any way. Level 23 means you can have epic gear, certain builds can even solo one or two epic bosses at this point. So, eventually, you can be fully epic geared, and easily farm places like stingers or possibly even Fire Giants, and get over 50 xp a pop, and kill really quickly. I feel like 37 or so is the level where leveling becomes -really- difficult. But 23, in my experience, is a pretty comfortable level for grinding. So it would (or at least could) be abused really, really easily.

sword dream

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 0:09 AM 

Player

interesting responses.

being easy to grind/progress is not a good thing, thats why i froze myself to level 23, because its too easy, easier than any loophole or abuse you can imagine. imo. (like you said, at this level (23) its very easy to level up)

let me ask you; would you rather have 10k xp or 10k gold? the answer should be rather obvious.

from what i understand and thru my own experience, is that earning gold in this server is fairly easy. so id would not expect any form of unbalancing, but i guess some ppl see things differently.

if not gold, what else would you suggest? im really interested.

honestly i see this as breathing new life to old characters. So you've reached the top of levels, what now? my response would be to scale back that progression in favor of other favors, and thus creating a new character progression plan. shave me off 5 levels, what would you think is a worthwhile trade?

again, just musings.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 1:18 AM 

Player

I'm not sure to be honest.. and I didn't mean it would be effective or that most would abuse it, but the fact that it CAN be abused is something that has to be taken into consideration and thus a limiting factor and why I mentioned it.

I think that if you limit yourself and your char to a specific level, then you're likely going to end up attracting more DM attention or player attention as people will be curious to discover why and thus learn more about your character. In the long run, there could be an RP reward in it, indirectly, as a result. I've seen that happen before with people that locked their characters to low levels.

Jes

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:48 AM 

DM

I'm sure you won't ever be able to trade levels in for anything, for free. Mostly because that counts as a rebuild. Who's to say you're going to keep doing it to stay at the same level? You could only do it once because you realize you messed something up. It would also be something that Dragon Disciples can't do, so restricting those players from taking advantage of something like this just because they wanted 18-20 levels of their prestige class is unfair. (You can't delevel Dragon Disciple levels without corrupting your character, because of the way the scripts apply the changes.)

Furthermore, why should people who want to play their characters at level 30 not have access to this easy-gold pool? Their XP is (mostly) blocked at 30, too. Why shouldn't they be able to trade in XP for gold (or anything else)? Why should it only be available to people who don't want to be max level?

It's just not feasible. You might think that being able to easily grind for xp is a greater abuse than free rebuilds AND free gold in exchange for that easy xp grind, but personally I don't think they compare in the slightest.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 03 2017, 19:31 PM 

Player

Players on lvl 30 find their ways, either by burning DCs or gold farming. I mean, why do we have dungeons if some people do not want or cannot farm easy gold in the dungeons? It is the same arguement. We can have more than one way to make gold that is not either in my opinion, extremely boring (Dungeons) or extremely punching since it costs DCs.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 0:24 AM 

Tester

It took me a few re-reads to understand the question here, so I hope I'm understanding it correctly.

Currently, no I don't think there's anything else but DC requests and of course burning DCs for gold/XP currently. I mean, what else would there be? They're intended to be rewards for RP that you can use for stuff, either fluff or mechanical, including levels. In the latter part, I consider them to be a stand-in for DMs manually handing out XP during events which are sort of like impromptu Quests that your PC would be rewarded XP for anyway in a regular game. I guess DMs could always hand out XP through maybe their widgets or a function, but I think DC burning allows it to be standardized, for better or worse.

If you don't want to level past a certain level 1) freakin' awesome man, I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps certain PCs at certain levels now lol 2) you can ask a DM to take XP from you for free, if you ever go over your intended level. 3) until you actually click level up and go through taking your next level, it doesn't really matter how much XP you gain! You won't actually have or be treated as that level PC until you take the levels. And your XP can go up to the actual lv 30 Cap without you ever actually taking those last few levels. Meaning while you may have the XP of a lv 30 PC, until you go through the process of taking those levels through the level up screen, you're still a lv 23 PC in what should be all respects.

The only drawback I guess is your Portrait will turn into the Level Up one indefinitely. Others can't see that, though, so it's really only a problem if the SFX and not seeing your portrait bother you.

So to recap, the options are:

>Spend your DCs on items or fluff or what have you, which I highly recommend.
>Get a DM to steal away your unwanted XP. Heck, maybe you can even work out a deal with them for turning that back into Gold. (It's gold, you could make it from smacking goblins on the head, so why not?)
>Gain as much XP as you want, and don't worry about it, because it doesn't actually mechanically advance your PC until you go through the screens.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:06 PM 

Player

There actually is a mechanic where you don't get any more xp after gaining a level. I think it's around halfway to the next level. Basically, it's so you don't abuse the mechanic by staying level 8 all the time, where most builds at a decent equipment stage can solo shekats and get 40-50 xp a pop, collect all the xps, and then level 22 more levels. So you won't gain xp past level 23 and a half.

This would actually also block swapping xp for just about anything, or at least it would hinder it pretty severely. So, at level 23, you probably at best could save around 30k xp to be exchanged for gold.

Personally, I would absolutely hate hearing the level up ding every time I walk through a door, but I think I made it clear anough, even if this was a possible thing, I probably wouldn't use it.

sword dream

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 13:08 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Get a DM to steal away your unwanted XP. Heck, maybe you can even work out a deal with them for turning that back into Gold. (It's gold, you could make it from smacking goblins on the head, so why not?)

robbi320 wrote:
So, at level 23, you probably at best could save around 30k xp to be exchanged for gold.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 14:29 PM 

Player

Oh, what I just meant is that if you get a DM to steal your xp, depending on how often you go out, you might need a DM quite often. I mean, if I go out with a party for two hours, I usually get 5-10k xp. (just a guess, don't quote me here) which would mean that you'd have a DM steal your xp around every four or five times leveling.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 17:05 PM 

Tester

I think OP is already blocking XP via mob kills by the rest menu. If he's only burning DCs for XP income, it shouldn't be too often that he has to ask.

Again, I'm not really sure what else you'd want to be able to use RP-reward tokens for? If gold is all you want, and you don't want to hunt, there's IC employment from other PCs and the Job System. But if you find yourself amassing loads of DCs, but don't want the many things you can use them for, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're enjoying your current level, with everything you have, just consider them pats on the back.

sword dream

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 20:57 PM 

Player

sorry if i couldnt make things clear. DCs would be awesome , i have like 2 and would not waste them in xp or gold, id rather trade those (gold and xp) for DCs, but like i stated earlier, this would mean that you can farm for DCs, essentially. thats no good, it should be for rp only. the idea proposed was between XP and gold (or someone elses idea), not DCs.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 21:13 PM 

Tester

Wait, I think I'm actually lost now.

You're trying to trade the extra gold and XP you make from not leveling into DCs? Yeah, that's probably not going to happen, because then you could just grind and farm for what should be RP rewards.

The only thing I can think of would be a request where you do like old school Thayvian crafting and use your life force(XP) and gold to create an item. Even then, that's all just fluff. At best maybe the DMs would credit you a little on the overall cost, but it would still cost DCs more than likely. Even if you're keeping your PC at a lower level, grinding gold or XP isn't terribly hard, though perhaps tedious to some. More importantly however, it can be done infinitely, which makes rewarding it in any substantial way very difficult. It'd be the same problem we have with gold itself, really.

sword dream

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 07 2017, 1:26 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Wait, I think I'm actually lost now. You're trying to trade the extra gold and XP you make from not leveling into DCs? Yeah, that's probably not going to happen...

nothing in my proposal has anything to do with DCs. DCs are and should only be given to promote RP. no trades. they are not the subject of this thread.

as the subject of this thread is this...:

Burning Levels/xp - for gold. i say for gold because thats what comes to mind, its the best alternative to awarding anything else. and providing this alternative to people who do not want to level, might be a good thing.

i dont want to muddle up this thread more than it is by giving more options to burn Levels/XP. So lets just stick with that, burning levels/xp for gold.

Tho i have not even tried the special desert merchant, but having the gold to buy stuff from him would make the XP cost a possible choice, as you trade it for gold.

does that make sense?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]