View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
steelecougar

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 0:45 AM 

Player

Hello there -

First of all, please let me know if there is a better location to post game mechanic related questions. I will do so if notified. My friend and I, long time NWN gamers on a different server, are looking to probably re-locate to a new world. He has some PCs here already and encouraged me to take a look. So I've dug through the website and the rules (nice site by the way) and have stumbled onto some questions with regard to gods and domains.

In the "Deity System page" it states "Mind that the deity will fry you if you pray without meeting the alignment requirements." The example used in this page cites a Lvl 7 follower of Cyric that has only one of the two domains of Cyric (meaning when the PC prays) he receives on only the bonus for the domain cited in Cyric's domain list. This implies to me a cleric can take domains not associated with that specific god but still receive benefits from "praying" if they have one of the god's domains. (hope I got that correct)

My question: Does one have to have the exact alignment match? Cyric is CE, his Follower Alignments are CE, CN, and NE. Can a cleric of Cyric be of the Follower Alignment (other than CE) and not get toasted when "praying"? Or must they be CE to match Cyric's (i.e., the god exactly)?

I use this as an example as I don't really like playing evil PCs (nor PvP for that matter - a team player here), I am just using this description as an example.

And secondly, if you have a paladin of a specific god must they match the god's exact alignment or can they match the Follower Alignment?

Again, if there is a better location on the forum for this type of posting please direct me there. Being on one PW for 10 years and finally shifting to another is like learning to drive a stick-shift all over again (different 4-on-floor pattern). While not a scripter nor designer, I have 30+ years in simulation and modeling/VV&A and have done game balance design in PWs. Apologies if TMI.

Looking forward to my planned experience in Amia.
SteeleCougar (SC)

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:06 AM 

Player

For a cleric in order to be 'in line' with your deity you have to meet the following:
Pick two domains the deity supports
Be withing 'one step' (So if the deity is CE you can be CN/CE/NE, if they are NN you can be NG/NN/NE/LN/CN, etc) of the deity's alignment

If you pick domains that don't belong to your deity, then you won't get anything from praying because prayer bonuses are tied to the domains (and the deity can't grant outside of their allowed ones). So, for example with Cyric you would have to be CE/CN/NE and take two of these: Chaos/Destruction/Evil/Hatred/Illusion/Trickery

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:11 AM 

Player

Hi and welcome!

Follower alignment is usually 1 step alignment variance from the deity's alignment because of this, the deity system generally allows for the 1 alignment variance. That means that if your deity is chaotic evil, it allows for chaotic evil, neutral evil & chaotic neutral followers usually. The follower alignments of the gods should be listed on the deity page, and if you encounter any issues with it, you can ask any DM in game for some help. As long as your character fulfills this alignment criteria, then you're quite safe to pray for a blessing & to play as a cleric.

Also, note that both of your cleric domains must be domains the deity allows. Continuing to use Cyric as an example, you can have 2 of the Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Hatred, Illusion or Trickery domains, but you couldn't take travel domain & Chaos for instance. This got changed a few years back for balance reasons and unless I'm mistaken or mis-remembering and it got changed back to only needing 1 domain of your god, this is a somewhat important part of the deity system/cleric domain system. This means that if you dont have 2 domains of your gods portfolio then you recieve a fallen token, which indicates that your character is fallen and this bars access to cleric abilities, such as spells.

However this 2 deity domain restriction usually shouldn't be a big problem for playing a cleric of any god, as the domains have generally been given a power bump to make them all stand on an equal footing. These additions are posted here under the domain listing. The bonus powers given based on domains that is listed on the Deity system page are only applied when you pray, the changes listed in the link I put in are permanent additions to the domain. For instance, the evil domain on Amia gains all the standard bonuses + Energy Drain at level 8 to the clerics spellbook. (The other spells listed in the Evil domain come with the domain in vanilla NWN)

As for paladins, paladins are always Lawful Good, because of this they usually have to follow gods that are either Neutral good, lawful good or lawful neutral. I say usually because we allow for some wiggle room as some deities do have paladin orders, while not being within the 1 step alignment spectrum. One example of this is the Guardians of Light order, which are an order of paladins dedicated to Selune, which is a chaotic good deity. Because she has a known paladin order that is established in lore, the 1 step alignment restriction is voided in this case. However it is strongly recommended for paladins to stick to deities that fall within the 1 step alignment spectrum, meaning neutral good, lawful good or lawful neutral deities. This is because following a chaotic deity can offer some difficulties for a paladin as they are bound to law & order, which tends to conflict with chaos in the same way good & evil can. (However it can also provide you with some unique RP opportunities, so it's players choice here really.) While some Chaotic good deities have paladin orders, paladins cannot follow evil deities for obvious reasons.

Hope that clears it up!

steelecougar

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 22:10 PM 

Player

Just want to say thank you for both inputs. Very detailed and concise. Much appreciated. I hope to start getting in game with my buddy real soon. I am looking forward to Amia as I have read a fair of posts and liked seeing gamers interested in preserving the NWN world.

Now I just have to figure out where go at specific levels; starting with low and working ones way up.

Hope to see y’all in game.
SC

StifterEL

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 22:54 PM 

Player

A great way to find out where to go leveling etc is to either ask players in a tell or in character. If you ask in character you might even get help in the way of buffs... etc.

steelecougar

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 14 2018, 2:41 AM 

Player

Quote:
"A great way to find out where to go leveling etc is to either ask players in a tell or in character. If you ask in character you might even get help in the way of buffs... etc."

Thanks for the advice! My friend and I were on this morning and already RP'd with a couple of players. VERY NICE! Some servers PCs just run by newbies.

Thank you and hope to be in game soon.

SC

Kiyona

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 14 2018, 3:59 AM 

Player

Welcome to Amia! Always sweet with fresh blood :twisted:
You are welcome to pm me if you see me online and need any help. I don't bit or at least nor t "that" hard :wink:

steelecougar

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 20 2018, 1:45 AM 

Player

Quote:
I don't bit or at least nor t "that" hard :wink:

You remind me of my drow PC in the North. A turned-nice person (a drow with an epic multi-adventure quest with an incredible DM assist; talk about change of life style) but with still with an "attitude".*grins*

My friend is moving forward in Amia and I hope to soon (with some gaming time); RL has consumed any non-work time this past week. The continuous forum posts show good activity and I look forward to "learning" the intricacies of Amia.

Talk about "learning how to walk again"...
SC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]