View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:27 AM 

Player

I was wondering if there was any jobs that players could do for the server to help.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:49 AM 

Player

If you know how to use the toolset or scripting, apply for a developer position, or if you think you have what it takes to be a DM, apply for that or alternatively apply for a GST event, if you have any ideas for events but dont fancy the responsibility of DMing. There's also things player-side like attending events that can help as well. Numbers means interest. The more people in events the greater the chance it'll attract more following.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:01 AM 

Player

Outside of applying for roles that directly help the server (Dev, DM, GST) the simplest solution is just logging in. When you're on the server, you can garnish RP for others. I know the server has been in a dip since the new year (but numbers are showing we're having more activity week per week recently) but the best thing you can do is be in the game itself. Even if it seems forced, maybe just seeing who's about and meeting for RP can help. If you're the only one on the server, maybe use that time in writing up character stories or theorycraft some player-run events you could host.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

LeathanKayne

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19 2018, 2:17 AM 

Player

Windowed mode is a wonderful thing for multitasking.

Zafriah

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19 2018, 6:44 AM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
the simplest solution is just logging in.

Yes, this. 10 others or 1 other, it doesn't matter, I still seem to be able to have fun, but it does require actually logging on.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 20 2018, 21:45 PM 

Player

LeathanKayne wrote:
Windowed mode is a wonderful thing for multitasking.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 20 2018, 22:11 PM 

Player

I was thinking about my response and, you know what? I think I should elaborate.

When I say log in, that just boosts the numbers, gets more people initially logged in and can hook them on RP. At this point in time, it's not that effective. People tend to join together in cliques (or hell just hunting parties) which means you might see 10 people on, but all 10 could be halfway through an event, split in to two hunting parties or RPing in an elusive place that you're not aware of.

When it comes to DMs, there's a standard to be upheld. Keep stuff lore friendly, monitor balance of characters etc etc. I feel it's as players (and keep in mind this is everyone as even DMs play playerside) we need standards too. We have had in the past people cause a lot of grief OOC and some times this has actually uprooted people and got people to quit. When it comes to Lore, we have it for a reason. This means that when people join the server we do actually expect them to have an ounce of FR knowledge. Did you know when I joined back in 2007 I had no idea of basically anything that wasn't just the basic subraces? I hardly knew where Neverwinter was on the Faerun map. It's less common these days, but we have and will probably get characters who don't know the Lore. I think as a lot of us being long term players, the Lore keeps us going. It forms factions, goals and storylines, which is why it's important for others to learn it. I know we have some players who are learning the basics, some delving in to 100 manuals to absorb every fact of 3rd/3.5 ed knowledge and I think, despite our general rule of "keep it IC" we should also be willing to explain OOC too.

As players we need to be approachable OOC, while a lot of us can split IC an OOC I also know there's occasions when people blur them. It's a fantasy game and through RPing we're just actors trying to have fun in a game at the same time (which is DnD in a nutshell) but like playing tabletop IRL, there's people here. Sure, someone might think it's bullshit that their big evil plan was thwarted because they didn't realise someone was stealthed when they did their plan or a goodie two shoes finally finds that demon they can't banish, but we as a community need to be ready to embrace the ups and downs of IC.

So when I say "Just log in" I mean join the server and have fun. We have a lot of quests available, you have the create character button if you're itching for a new concept and I'm not going to lie we have Discord and Skype where people can organise meeting up in-game together. If you want DMs to spice something up just PM us! Honestly, pretty much everything PM'd DOES get forwarded and discussed. If you want to learn how to do Dev work then ask about! We have subforums for it. If you just want to play the game, then please, just log in. Not everyone is going to want to do Bendir Dale idle gossiping, not everyone is going to want to circle the shekats for 10 hours that day, but the worst you can do is try and we have been hitting much higher numbers than we have since the start of the year. We have more people coming back as we normally see due to the northern hemisphere's summer holidays.

The only thing players can do to not help the server is not log in and shit-talk on the forums. That is never going to fix anything. If you want to see if you can contribute to the server, just ask, otherwise log in.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 20 2018, 22:52 PM 

Player

Quote:
So when I say "Just log in" I mean join the server and have fun. We have a lot of quests available, you have the create character button if you're itching for a new concept and I'm not going to lie we have Discord and Skype where people can organise meeting up in-game together.

To be honest the general gameplay/combat in NWN has, for me at least, gotten so dull that I dread the thought of creating a new character or even join events I suspect will be combat focused. What has made me stay for a while now is the rp alone.

Last edited by Shadowfiend on Thu, Jun 21 2018, 3:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 21 2018, 2:43 AM 

Player

Shadowfiend wrote:
Quote:
So when I say "Just log in" I mean join the server and have fun. We have a lot of quests available, you have the create character button if you're itching for a new concept and I'm not going to lie we have Discord and Skype where people can organise meeting up in-game together.

To be honest the general gameplay/combat in NWN has, for me at least, gotten so dull that I dread the thought of creating a new character or even join events I suspect will be combat focused. What makes me stay has for a while now been the rp alone.

Who did you play as?

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]