View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ] 
Kamina

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 22 2018, 22:54 PM 

Player

Excuse the poor formatting as many of you know my laptop is dead so I’m doing this from mobile:

Looking for feedback on the past week of double xp to gauge how you guys felt. We have our own metrics and overall it was a resounding success in terms of player activity.

Feel free to be as short or long winded as you want.

Some questions to consider:

Would you rather these return as full weeks sporadically throughout the year or appear as weekends (mon-fri) more commonly through the year?

Would you like us to see if we can hold events like these again with different themes? Two random examples include increased item drop rates or perhaps monsters drop a seasonal form of currency.

And a big one:

Do you think these suit Amia as a server or are they “too MMO”?

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 22 2018, 23:10 PM 

Player

First off, an over all comment: I wanted to say I had an amazing time this week. I have played on Amia on and off since about 2008 and this is the first time I have ever had so much fun hunting. I applaud the idea! The first five or six years I played here... I barely had one max level character; it was extremely disappointing and depressing. People would be tired of the grind, not excited about going to the higher level areas, and going it solo was such a tedious affair that I just never got to it.

Quote:
Would you rather these return as full weeks sporadically throughout the year or appear as weekends (mon-fri) more commonly through the year?

I think the weekend format would be nice, personally. Having a whole week of this kind of XP Rate dropped my RP a lot; I will not lie. But I felt I needed to take advantage of the time and "get 'er done!" But I think if it happened at small periods commonly throughout the year this sort of leveling frenzy would be curbed and not affect RP rate at any drastic amount. This will make it easier for people who have varying schedules as well, I think, rather than single week blocks.

Quote:
Would you like us to see if we can hold events like these again with different themes? Two random examples include increased item drop rates or perhaps monsters drop a seasonal form of currency.

This one on the other hand is nice, but I think having it as a whole week sporadically throughout the year would be better. This would mean people wouldn't become millionaires easily and keep the general economy of the isle from exploding in one way or another, using these two specific examples. Other themed events would be very nice to see in general! If semi-often, I think they would bring interest to the player base.

Quote:

I think that by having this change for people to not have to worry about leveling, dealing with the grind, would increase a chance for roleplay later on. So many people can't stand levelling, or feel like they have to put roleplay on hold in order to do a rebuild, if it has to be a selfer, etc. This I have heard from various players over the years... what the current base thinks on the matter I can't say, as I am not them! But overall I think this would be wonderful to keep in.

Ilharess Tal'afay Tinnerai of Eilistraee
Nithlyvia Shadowflame, Absent-Minded Spellblade

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 22 2018, 23:36 PM 

Player

this double xp was the first time i've thought about logging into amia in ages.

CautiousDread

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 22 2018, 23:52 PM 

Player

Quote:

Think it'd be nice over weekdays, as there's a higher chance that people are doing things on Friday or the weekends that'll take them away from this.
Also, it'd be great to have it happen throughout the year for various things.

Quote:

It'd be great to see this happen again with somewhat different variations. I liked the general premise of all of it, despite not really needing it, and the time I did use it ended up having some fun RP in the abyss.
I'd be somewhat against special currency, as it'd clunk up inventory space if not used but on the other hand, might add a bit of a dimension to the current Economy of Amia.

As long as it can be RP-ed in regards to things going on, don't think it'll be considered too much like a MMO. Since it doesn't really change the environment too drastically to bring it as a special event, it should be okay. But if Cordor suddenly had love hearts and Cherubs for Valentines day, would be a bit MMO-esque

Overall, it was a great idea and was just a subtle change which didn't require DM's to be there to feel the change.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

Sprite by Raua

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 0:02 AM 

Player

Events like this is a dangerous middle road thing.

It is nice to be able to lvl a alt, it is also kinda removing the building of contacts and such on alts. But on the other hand everyone is there. Mashaara has probably met more people than Tetrik met.

I think it be good to have it when people are not busy too, I know some people been a bit sad they could not use it as much as they wanted because of the holidays. A weekend here and there could be a nice opportunity for alt lvling and testing out new characters. At the feel of it being bit MMOy. Hard to do it any other way. Can we get double gold weekend? :P

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:26 AM 

Player

There's a few things on the double xp event, for me:

First, I'm honestly afraid of ever leveling a character again. The extra xp, plus the amount of people who were out leveling made it insane, and you're noto going to find that on a regular friday, let alone a weekday.
That said, I really liked being able to level a PC to 30 pretty easily. I haven't had many to 30, and easily making one is really nice.

At the same time, there's two problems I see with it. The first, is mostly to do with the bone wands. Seems to me like the value might... fluctuate, in the coming weeks, since everyone has dozends of them now. (that said, I'm curious to see what it looks like, and I have no idea, to be honest)
The second, and it's not the -biggest- problem, but it's a bit... weird. On the one hand, leveling was really easy. But it meant keeping up with gear was really tough. Most other characters I've made had like a spare million around level 23. Now, I had no money to spare. Richard is finally sitting at his last non-epic gear set (probably), but I'm at 383 gold. It, at times, made leveling pretty tough, ironically. Basically, if I didn't do the math wrong (really tough math here) a character basically got half the gold that a character normally would have gotten, and it sort of breaks the smooth leveling path, imo.

Apart from those two things I'm not really sure if they even -can- be fixed, my character met far more characters I'd have met otherwise, because after like level 20, you always just level with the same five or so people. This meant there were far more people around, and far more catching up to like 20-25, so the pool os people to play with was far larger.

In general, I'd like it if more events like this were made, and I thought a week was a nice time to get this done. I got Richard leveled from like... 5? to 30, so a 100% new character could be done without too much of a hassle. A weekend wouldn't get quite the same response, I think, because it's such a short duration.

Yimmi

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:33 AM 

Player

As a free opinion of the last event I think it was great, mostly because I got the chance to finally lvl my character... currently I haven't got much time to play, so the one I have I prefer to use it to RP, and well yeah... you can RP being a lowby but after a while it gets bothersome as you can't to many things. So having this chance to finally reach the higher lvls was something I was really looking foward to!
In the current state of the server, sometimes it's really hard to have a new toon and lvl it, because it can be hard to get a lvling party, and there are builds that are near impossible (for the noobs like me) or really annoying/hard to lvl soloing, so this events gives the chance for people to get new PCs and lvl them fast.
The days I participated in this (I think there where only 2 or 3?) I met with several people and had a lot of fun doing so!

Quote:

Trurth be told I'd rather have it on random weekends! Weekdays are usually busy for many people (specially me :D)

Quote:

I'd like to see other suggestions of this, because having increased item drop rates would only make people already rich PCs even richer.

Quote:

Not at all.

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...

And DM side: DM Clangeddin

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:46 AM 

Player

And oh, do not -not- --not-- ---not--- go for seasonal currency. It might ruin the IC and the immersion and reall scream "WoW expansion with shit currency you barely use the next time something new comes.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:41 AM 

Player

I really enjoyed the event. My only downside was the timing. I work every day so much of the available time was, like most normal work weeks, unavailable to me. By contrast, the upcoming week I'm on vacation for the holidays and will have a ton of free time. I still managed to use it quite a bit.

Full weeks or weekends periodically both sound like great ideas. Say 1 full week per quarter or 1 weekend per month. You don't want players running off from regular RP activities all the time for these events but it sure is a relief from the grind so spacing them out in a balanced fashion will be key.

To me, both wands and scrolls are in ample supply already so having acquired bags of them was overkill. I wouldn't mind some thematic drops for future events.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 6:16 AM 

Player

I enjoyed Double XP. For a guy like me who already has all the alts I care to have, Double XP gave me a good reason not to mind making throwaway characters to help a friend level. It was less painful, heh.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Hell-billy

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:25 AM 

Player

Although I had to work nights during the week and missed most of it. My wife and son really enjoyed it and logged on several times throughout the week. Not sure if I would want to see it more than a couple times a year but was a fun holiday event for some of our family.

Would be great to see other kinds of events during certain times of the year such as treasure hunts, etc.

Anyways, great idea team on the double XP.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 10:54 AM 

Player

Sadly didn't get to use it much. Out of the week I think my character managed one level but as they were half way towards that anyway they didn't see the full effect. For me, like others, the timing was off. The event happened in the week that work was busiest before shutting down for two weeks. What's frustrating is that I likely have time to play now but the event is turned off.

The timing for me was just annoyingly off. I can't comment on how it affects the server as I haven't seen much of it but most seemed to enjoy it.

As for more and perhaps others, sure give it a go but maybe rather than openly announcing an increase in drop or such just slip them in. Avoids people only playing to hoard.

Anira

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 12:25 PM 

Player

I loved it, but as Robbi mentioned it was hard to keep up with gear being that gold was hard to find. You had a higher level character, but no gold to equip her and buy the potions needed to flesh out the build. That really made it tough.

I'd go for a MORE GOLD weekend event. Always can use more gold. Not too keen on the seasonal currency idea as that is just too World of Warcraft for me which is way too MMO.

Loved the higher XP, but wish there had been double gold to go with it! Had a great time.

Weekends would probably be better for these events since most of us have full-time jobs during the week.

Thanks for the great event!

Jes

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 23 2018, 13:48 PM 

DM

I'm actually quite torn on this! On one hand, it helped me top off some of my characters I'd not been able to get to 30 yet. But on the other hand, I saw a massive drop in the amount of RP that took place (from myself, as well). There was a lot more activity, but I'm worried it was 90% hunting. I think we'll see over the next couple weeks if this will lead to more RP. I hope so.

This event has also underscored how much people have come to really hate leveling on the server. At the very least, it makes me think about ways we can improve the leveling experience. I have been playing here since 2006, and I am so tired of the leveling process that I tend to just use DC's to avoid having to bother. So when this happened I got excited because it meant I could jump in with the other people who hate grinding and would rather use this to get it over with. And when I saw the numbers we were getting in the Abyss, I was only happy because it meant I wouldn't have to do it for as long, especially with double/triple spawns in the massive parties.

I didn't really notice a stark difference in the amount of bone wands and blank scrolls, but I did actually see some, which was an improvement from normal. People who don't hunt often never get a chance to stock up on them unless they buy them from the people who do grind like a maniac. Even in this case, I think the people who already hunted often are still the only ones who saw the main benefit of the increased drops. Which is fine, of course! My artifice character will still want to buy as much as possible.

"Would you rather these return as full weeks sporadically throughout the year or appear as weekends (mon-fri) more commonly through the year?"While I do think this event led to a drop in RP, I also believe that doing it more often would ease that effect, as people won't be so insane about taking advantage of it with as many alts as humanly possible. Setting it to a regular schedule would probably help people plan the timing around making their new characters, and when to level them. I agree it should be a less frequent week-long thing, so that more people can take advantage of it when it does happen. Some people are always busy on weekends, or on weekdays. Week-long is the only way to ensure the most people are able to benefit from it.

"Would you like us to see if we can hold events like these again with different themes? Two random examples include increased item drop rates or perhaps monsters drop a seasonal form of currency."I think it would be nice to see other variations of this, yes! Or perhaps other variations on what accompanies the double XP, rather than just bone wands/blank scrolls. I'm not excited about seasonal currency, as that reminds me of a mobile game I played that annoyed the crap out of me when I didn't get a chance to use seasonal currency and they were useless after the window ended. Don't do the mobile game crap. xD

"Do you think these suit Amia as a server or are they “too MMO”?"I think if it doesn't get too crazy with frequency or with special seasonal drops, it won't be too MMO-ish. It's a nice little treat for the players to encourage them to play, and I know a lot of people really liked it. That on its own is a reason to do it more. Amia has always had a unique way of calling to different play styles for a range of different kinds of players. This clearly calls to another play style that people really enjoyed, which is part of the allure of Amia. So it fits, even if it doesn't fit everyone's play style exactly!

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

VKB

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 0:28 AM 

Player

While I did not take part in the double XP week on any of my characters, it provides a wonderful opportunity for people to accelerate their characters' leveling.

I don't think it makes Amia into "more" of an MMO than it already is. I think a mix of weekends and staggered, random days throughout the year would allow people to take advantage, especially if they are unable to log on and spend time hunting on the weekends.

As for the dip in roleplay, I have a very simple solution: run events and encounters with the people who are hunting. With so many people out grinding, it falls solely on PCs to provide roleplay - and it isn't a lot of fun to hold casual conversations while cutting through demons. Give people a reason to roleplay. Make the double EXP days more interesting by running encounters and opportunities to roleplay. Hunting and leveling up provides unique opportunities for the DMs to do less world-shattering and more localized events targeted towards lower-level characters; hunting should not be an excuse to just stop roleplaying, but instead an opportunity for shorter, one-shot action-adventure stories that can nonetheless allow characters a chance to develop, in more ways than just mechanically. Just ask them if they'd like an encounter or something, and if they don't, then no harm done. That's what I think.

Kronox

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 1:33 AM 

Player

I also think the Double XP Week was a good thing, mostly for reasons already said above. It seems the general idea is that it's great because leveling is tedious, but the drop in RP is the concern, so I'll touch on thoughts on that.

Leveling a character during it, I had substantial amounts of RP. I met tons of characters, be they alts or throw-aways and had a good time interacting with them regardless of how permanent that character was. I feel the people hit hardest by the lack of roleplay are those who had no interest in getting off their main characters to make a new character, which is fine and understandable. While a lot of people were fine with helping people level and running sub-30's through the Abyss, I can understand why it would be frustrating if someone had no desire to do that and was left alone in town. To that, I think knowing that this is a regular concept will make it less of a concern because plenty of people will not feel that mad dash to 30 while it lasts mentality, and the RP factor will stay consistent while still allowing for people to level easier.

Personally, I have most of my work on the weekends, but I also understand that I'm the minority in that regard so I won't be vocal about such a decision. I do think splitting Double XP Time into equal parts full weeks or weekends is the best bet, at any rate, so everybody has opportunity. Decide on how much time out of the year you wish to allow Double XP and break it up into chunks of full weeks and 3-4 days, twice as many of the smaller increments than the large week. (Example, say you want 1/4 of the year on Double XP for easy math. One month have a full week, the next maybe two weekends. Again, just numbers for easy math, maybe every other month would be better.) That way those who are never active on weekends still get a good shot at leveling, while the majority, weekenders, still have plenty of opportunity.

I'm mostly adverse to "Seasonal Currency" for the same concerns voiced above. However, depending on the concept I could get behind it. For instance, one idea for that kind of system I do kind of like is something along the lines of Harper's Favor. The Harper Scouts have sent an emissary on a mission looking for information on something, usually involving some type of monster. The Harpers are willing to pay for information (The seasonal currency) on their target and offer either gold or trade-ins on interesting/epic gear. For instance, I've seen a lot of discussion on how Ioun Stones are pretty common on the mainland, and the Amia effect is strange with how rare they are. So perhaps for a week at a time, the Harpers are gathering information on the, say, Brog Orcs. Or orcs in general so all orcs can drop it. Another week Giants, Hill, Frost, and Fire. You can turn it in for either gold or Ioun Stones. Maybe Mythals another week. Something like that I think would be great and actually good for the economy as the well established 30's don't care about gold anymore, only the items themselves.

I think so long as the more MMO leaning concepts are presented well, our playerbase is mature enough to still maintain a level of RP and not get MMO-Zergy about it.

harbingerfrost

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 14:51 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:

In general, I think the EXP gains on Amia are too low, and greatly enjoyed the chance to really have fun and feel like I was making progress pretty much wherever I went. This is by far my favorite part of the event.

Kamina wrote:

Themed events sound really cool, but I really didn't like the wand and parchment increase. I can see why other people did, though, so I don't mind it being left in. I'd personally love to see more loot drops, or an event where some of the mob types get changed around in their various areas. But please no seasonal currency. No. Instead, put more gemstones in the loot bins, or foreign currency, like Cormyr-Dalelands and the other Cormyr server does/did.

Kamina wrote:
And a big one: Do you think these suit Amia as a server or are they “too MMO”?
Amia is already seen as a very MMO server, and I don't have a problem with this at all. Even though the term isn't all that accurate. Either way, bring on the events inspired by MMO's. Those events are successful for a reason!

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 15:27 PM 

Player

Like Jes, I am torn on this.

I used the event to level up a test character from 1 to 23 in no time. Yay. But that's it - this is a test character. I use those in my down time, when Saya has nothing to do (or if she is "stuck"), or if I am in a very grindy mood (or to help someone). So while I roleplayed the character while I was on, it doesn't mean I actually provided that much RP to the server as a whole - and it also meant I was not playing on Saya while I was leveling that guy. It was also downright impossible for Saya to "hunt down" newcomers and provide them with homemade events (like I usually do), because people were just rushing in to exp and ignored my invitations to roleplay... which is why I created a side character - I had nothing to do.

I believe creating 10000000000 alts and never stick to a main is not beneficial, in general. So having this kind of events being too frequent will probably not be good for the server. Once in a while though, maybe?

Increasing the exp slightly and permanently could be good though, and I still believe increasing the epic drop from 5 to 6 when you have a big party should be permanent feature on Amia too.

Gobo-kobo

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 21:46 PM 

Player

I loved it and I would love if this happened way more often. Like a few times a month.

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 21:59 PM 

Player

Mushidoz wrote:
I believe creating 10000000000 alts and never stick to a main is not beneficial, in general.

On this note I would say that if a player is dissatisfied with the character they are working with... they will roll a new one, whether or not the double xp is in place. It has happened in the past. Sometimes a new character is made because the old one is hard to level; I am guilty of having done this. It is a valid concern, but I think if the double xp happened more often then people can find a character they like and are able to bond with quicker and easier, as was my experience with Nithlyvia. However, each person is different and I am in no way saying it will be the same for everyone. Just a thought, on the subject of alts.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 24 2018, 22:42 PM 

Player

I'm honestly inclined to agree with Kiasyd on that regard. Those that feel the inclination to be altaholics will be that way generally regardless of what's in place.

However, for those that are not, it makes it easier to get to a point where they can focus 100% on Roleplay with a character concept they enjoy at a faster rate.

Vortex

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:12 AM 

Player

Strikes me as rather arbitrary and capricious.

Magiros

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 28 2018, 22:06 PM 

Player

I don't mind either way. I like faster EXP just for lvling and testing out new classes. But having played a lvl 6 for 8 months, I did not feel it was stopping me from roleplaying anything. Granted, all the epic stuff I could not do with lvl 6, but I did get to participate in different RP as a journey towards becoming a epic lvl char.

Anyhow, I liked the XP stuff, would not mind seeing it around every now and then.

Daniel

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 29 2018, 14:02 PM 

Player

It got me back.

Mask and Riddle

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 31 2018, 16:51 PM 

Player

I had a blast!

Yes, I’m a compulsive builder, but it got a lot of that itch satisfied and made me gear more RP because I got a character to 30. There were more people on, I made more connections and I played in more RP scenarios and events than I ever had.

A week is the way to go. I’m not a weekend player at all. Having the week let me participate more. I definitely would love the idea of theme events at non standard times. My ideal would be like the golem thing, short events that repeat for a few days at different times. I could schedule one into my insane schedule and I got to really get into it.

Thanks for all the work on it!

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:34 AM 

Player

Double XP 24/7. There's so many Positives, I think it far outweighs the concerns.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 05 2019, 6:16 AM 

Player

Any Chance of seeing this make a comeback? Soon? I have a few weird builds i would like to see if they bare fruit and are cool to play. 8D

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:28 AM 

Player

I'd also like to see this make a return. Would be nice to try out some new concepts but oh god the grind oh god oh fuck

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:52 AM 

Player

I think we should have this twice a year, for six months each.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13 2019, 15:45 PM 

Player

I agree, but any chance it'll be coming back soon?

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 21 2019, 19:55 PM 

Player

I’ve got something in the pipeline for next month.

It’s gonna be

Experimental.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 22:43 PM 

Player

I am interested in seeing if any of the DM-Team will be looking into this baby of Kamina's, since he has taken a break at this time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]