View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2019, 11:13 AM 

Player

He didn't do that. Amia is known for drama and poor management over the years. There is reasons why it's so hard to attract back old players.

Dms and Devs do work for free, but so do players as the "actors". All three are equally needed to have a vibrant world that lives and breaths in roleplaying.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2019, 23:20 PM 

Player

I feel though that there is an issue with people feeling like we need to fight the developers and the dungeon masters to win. However, this mind set suggests there are two sides to this, which there are not, and that the developers should be the enemy of the players, which they are not. They are human beings with lives just as ours, not our enemies. I wrote that at 3 am so I was tired, but I stand by it to the letter.
Just don't see the developer team as your enemy. Talk to them like you would a person and not an enemy, for a foe they are not.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 0:31 AM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:
I feel though that there is an issue with people feeling like we need to fight the developers and the dungeon masters to win. However, this mind set suggests there are two sides to this, which there are not, and that the developers should be the enemy of the players, which they are not. They are human beings with lives just as ours, not our enemies. I wrote that at 3 am so I was tired, but I stand by it to the letter.
Just don't see the developer team as your enemy. Talk to them like you would a person and not an enemy, for a foe they are not.

There is nothing indicating that Naivatkal didn't discuss with respect in here. He pointed to old days of Amia which had a lot of problems. I think it is important that people can share their views and thoughts on the server if they do it civil. Not agreeing with things do not mean they attack a dev or a DM hate his players if he do not agree with how the player view things. This been a very civil thread and I say we should keep it that way without proclaiming people attacking anyone.

Zafriah

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 1:16 AM 

Player

Budly wrote:
This been a very civil thread and I say we should keep it that way without proclaiming people attacking anyone.

Yep

And you know, feedback is good. Even if it isn't something positive. It's good getting the issues out on the table to be discussed constructively. It's really important to let people be heard and solutions to be weighed up.

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 1:21 AM 

Player

Zafriah wrote:
Budly wrote:
This been a very civil thread and I say we should keep it that way without proclaiming people attacking anyone.

Yep

And you know, feedback is good. Even if it isn't something positive. It's good getting the issues out on the table to be discussed constructively. It's really important to let people be heard and solutions to be weighed up.

Thats great, I shake hand on that!

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 15:35 PM 

Player

The main problem with leveling isn't that its hard, it's just boring. The problem with amia leveling is that you spend all your time circlegrinding with no clear objectives to complete and it gets very old very fast and most people will just level with dream coins. I don't have a character in my vault who hasn't used dream coins to level.

One thing that might encourage more players to keep going at the low grind would be some dungeon based quests the way EFU handles it. You approach a clickable thing, talk to it, get the quest to go inside the area and once you have the quest you're able to enter. Then you complete the objective and along with whatever monster kill xp you get you get a not insignificant completion reward.

These quests should be repeatable and somewhat numerous and spread across level ranges. Some meant for larger groups would be cool as well.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 15:49 PM 

Player

Or we can implement what's on Arelith.

You can grab a "mini quest" from xy person who will send you into a dungeon in an approximate range of your level. There you are supposed to complete various objectives and return when done.

Example. John Doe is level 4 and is sent to kobolds lair to:

1, Kill ten kobolds in uppers levels
2, Kill ten kobolds in lower levels
3, Kill Kobold Chief

Upon return to the quest giver you'll receive XPs and gold/trinkets/whatever.

On Arelith there is a limit for those quests, you can grab and complete max. three quests per day.

Not only it makes leveling more fun, but it also makes it easier to discover otherwise lesser known or lesser populated areas. Not a bad concept, as far as I'm concerned.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 16:22 PM 

Player

That sounds nice and all but it seems a bit soulless and husk like. Randomized boring NPC giving randomized questline which looks like a system from a MMO "Kill 10 of Y". But hey, maybe it brings in more reasons to do dungeons thats never used?

Angelis96

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 16:27 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
That sounds nice and all but it seems a bit soulless and husk like. Randomized boring NPC giving randomized questline which looks like a system from a MMO "Kill 10 of Y". But hey, maybe it brings in more reasons to do dungeons thats never used?

Might I inquire: What precisely, as an example, is something that you would think that would solve the issue of leveling being that way?

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 16:35 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
Budly wrote:

Might I inquire: What precisely, as an example, is something that you would think that would solve the issue of leveling being that way?

Gibberlings would be a good example.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 17:08 PM 

Player

Sorry, but how are gibs a good example?

Don't take me wrong, I love the dungeon and I think I was amongst the first ones to complete it back when Glim implented it, but we're not talking fashion, eye candy nor design. We're talking about leveling being dull.

I have never, ever... not once encountered anyone in Gibs lair. Never. It's absolutely not an area where people grind xp.
Even though I like the idea of "item grind" (to some extend) which you later turn in for gold, I have not once heard, moreso witnessed, anyone farming gibs for it.

Look... you can tell people hate dull xp grinding, and I symphatize even though I myself don't mind it that much, it helps me personally getting in touch with the build I'm working on, by areas which are frequented. No grind happens in "pretty" areas, it happens in areas with effective "xp per kill" output - typically people grind goblins / kobolds / orcs and when they are strong enough, or wealthy enough, they grab certain things (no spoilers) and go farm Shekats. From Shekats they move to Khem farming minos, whispers and stingers and in no time they're epics. And after that it's usually giants. I'd go off topic how you can tell which areas are difficult and hence not very popular YET effective (you rarely see anyone leveling in Bidoc's Manor, for example. XPs are juicy, but the fecking kids are a challenge even for a fully equipped epic character!). Or Sahuagins. Or Yetties, who gives flat out the most xp per kill. But we leave it for later.

Granted, it's some time since I've made a low level alt, so I may be wrong, but this is how I remember Amia. So in order to make grinding more enjoyable you need either:

- Make it more attractive for parties. A solution that works, but I personally hate it because I hate artificial party creation as it reeks of MMOs. Parties should be made via. IC interaction, not because it's better mechanically or on OOC level.
- As I mentioned create a system of random quests with random goals in random locations for random rewards. I'm playing on Arelith quite a bit lately and I am telling you it works. People visit vacant locations, learn more about the world regionwise and it force them to travel and see new things. Grinding is dull when you grind one location, of course it turns dull superfast. But it's easy and people are lazy, let's face it. So force them to do something for more xp.
- Why are people grinding so hard to get to level 30? Because they feel excluded from epic adventures and epic DM plots. So, instead of "The End is niaaagh!" kind of plots do plots and DM quests for lowbies. Kinda what Jes does right now with goblins.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Budly

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 18:49 PM 

Player

What? I mentioned it as a way to make people visit more than the same set 4-5 dungeons or what number might be available. Since my return, I still find new dungeons I never even knew was there cause no one really ever goes there or talks about them it seems.

Beside that, what you're saying Guardian down there is some legit points, especially making party more attractive and more plotlines not circling around the end times.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 21:01 PM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
Sorry, but how are gibs a good example?

Don't take me wrong, I love the dungeon and I think I was amongst the first ones to complete it back when Glim implented it, but we're not talking fashion, eye candy nor design. We're talking about leveling being dull.

I have never, ever... not once encountered anyone in Gibs lair. Never. It's absolutely not an area where people grind xp.
Even though I like the idea of "item grind" (to some extend) which you later turn in for gold, I have not once heard, moreso witnessed, anyone farming gibs for it.

Look... you can tell people hate dull xp grinding, and I symphatize even though I myself don't mind it that much, it helps me personally getting in touch with the build I'm working on, by areas which are frequented. No grind happens in "pretty" areas, it happens in areas with effective "xp per kill" output - typically people grind goblins / kobolds / orcs and when they are strong enough, or wealthy enough, they grab certain things (no spoilers) and go farm Shekats. From Shekats they move to Khem farming minos, whispers and stingers and in no time they're epics. And after that it's usually giants. I'd go off topic how you can tell which areas are difficult and hence not very popular YET effective (you rarely see anyone leveling in Bidoc's Manor, for example. XPs are juicy, but the fecking kids are a challenge even for a fully equipped epic character!). Or Sahuagins. Or Yetties, who gives flat out the most xp per kill. But we leave it for later.

Granted, it's some time since I've made a low level alt, so I may be wrong, but this is how I remember Amia. So in order to make grinding more enjoyable you need either:

- Make it more attractive for parties. A solution that works, but I personally hate it because I hate artificial party creation as it reeks of MMOs. Parties should be made via. IC interaction, not because it's better mechanically or on OOC level.
- As I mentioned create a system of random quests with random goals in random locations for random rewards. I'm playing on Arelith quite a bit lately and I am telling you it works. People visit vacant locations, learn more about the world regionwise and it force them to travel and see new things. Grinding is dull when you grind one location, of course it turns dull superfast. But it's easy and people are lazy, let's face it. So force them to do something for more xp.
- Why are people grinding so hard to get to level 30? Because they feel excluded from epic adventures and epic DM plots. So, instead of "The End is niaaagh!" kind of plots do plots and DM quests for lowbies. Kinda what Jes does right now with goblins.

Wat.

Gibberlings are intriguing as a dungeon is what I was saying. It's fun. When I did it first time it left me wanting to go deeper, disregarding XP or Loot.

Also last point is real, but I don't think DMs should have to keep people coming back. The content itself should be fun enough and DMs should be the cherry on top of what makes you wanna log in.

Otherwise we have the problem of people just logging in when there is a event and never showing up at any other time. Which fucking sucks.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 21:27 PM 

Player

My personal disposition is that it's not the content that should keep the playerbase invested, but the Roleplay. It's a roleplay server, not a PvE server. And DMs and Develepors are not required for there to be roleplay for the playerbase to take advantage of. What it takes is some initiative from the playerbase to make things happen. Which, being honest I've scene incredibly little of recently.

But, specifically on the notion of circling dungeons. The issue I find is that killing things repeatedly is how NWN as an engine handles xp/leveling. So the notion of things being 'MMO-y' as Budly puts it or repetitive as Frea puts it imho is an unfixable issue with the game's design. Best one can do is attempt to mask it with glamour.

But at the end of the day leveling has little to nothing to do with server activity as it's easy and a miniscule portion of a character's existance.

The way I see things personally, at any rate.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2019, 22:12 PM 

Player

I think you need Contet that is actually interesting and challenging enough to RP finding a group and RPing the Struggle of the expedition.

As it stands most RP is boring af and people don't have anything to talk about except for pseudo-Philosophy. I've seen people quote fluffing Nietzsche.

Galenson

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 12:02 PM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

In the past, roughly about five and ten years ago respectively, I said three things:

The first, is that beyond a few hard lines you can't cross, you need to be able to compromise the needs of the server over adhering specifically to the letter of the lore.

The second was that Amia as a server was too big for such a "stretched" (stretched was an appropriate word at the time, now the more appropriate word is "dwindling") player population. And finally that,

Less was more.

I like reflecting back upon the underdark playerbase from nine years ago when I think about these three observations of mine, because in many ways it reflects the server's natural evolution over time. In a simplified way, the underdark playerbase became what the server is now albeit at a much smaller and faster scale. Despite the different reasons for this occuring, there were similarities in the results:

• The entry barrier for the Underdark scene was the niche type of role play it offers. This filter of preference was different to the physical barrier of nwn versus nwn:ee, but the result was similar: fewer players, and more importantly fewer new players went to the Underdark then elsewhere.

• The Underdark was also surprisingly very big when first launched, partly due to the requests of the playerbase of the time that led to its development that way. Although this was great, it also stretched a small playerbase extremely thinly. We see this now in a similar fashion with the size of the server(s) compared to the size of the playerbase: we're stretched very thinly.

• The final observation, was the near rigid adherence to specific (but often not all) elements of the lore:

- At a simple observation, it was that the different underdark elements didn't interact: Drow did their own thing and the rest of the other races did their business (often they would end up on the surface role play settings). The physical space between these elements, which was at the request of the playerbase during the Underdark's development (L'Obsul was designed to break this down somewhat... but then Edonil happened) assisted in propelling this attitude of seclusion which did more harm then good.

- At a more intricate level the players were operating off structures, rules and specific elements of lore at the exclusion of other elements that would have been more fitting for a server like Amia: using the Drow as an example, Udos Dro'xun, Ultrinnan, Edonil and Nec'Perya / Thran'daariv (having walked around in all four, they were all basically the same thing) were based off R.A Salvatore's descriptions of the structure of Menzoberanzan in his Drizz't Do'Urden series and related spin-offs. They all ended up featuring the same three public academies (four if you considered the intelligence agency in Ultrinnan and Edonil) and up to five private house factions at some point in their lifespan. Despite being a semi accurate representation of Drow lore if you read R.A Salvatore's multiple works featuring Menzoberanzan, for a server that could only host 64 people and a Drow playerbase that never numbered more then 15 across all timezones back in the "golden era" of nwn, it was extremely, extremely ambitious in theory but failed to be put adequately into sustainable practice. The playerbase was stretched so thinly (to the point where a core of players had multiple alts spread between the different agencies and factions that they had to restrict it with an official ruling) between so much that in essence it couldn't achieve anything substantial. Not only that, it isolated itself near entirely from the wider server around them which made the aspirations and goals of these public and private factions even more pointless.

So through a combination of a small playerbase stretched too thinly, the selection of and the rigid adherence to unsustainable lore and a general expectation by the playerbase that they are entitled to their own piece of the pie in the form of individual faction areas and cities, the Underdark became what we have now. Yes its a little bit more complicated then that, but that's the simple observation. Particularly to someone who wasn't or isn't involved in the Underdark setting.

Now... where am I going with this? How does talk of the server's size, rigid adherence to lore and negative observations of the Underdark relate to a leveling problem for lower level characters? It may feel like such, but I'm not pointing fingers. The playerbase is responsible for many things but the natural progression of the server over its lifespan, ie its size and the accomodation made to the player's wants was a joint effort: the player demand was there, and it was provided. Now the playerbase cannot sustain what they wanted. This has contributed to the current situation as much as whether Amia is using Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition or not.

Amia is simply too big, and its size has been turning against it for some time. The more you stretch the playerbase, the less interaction there is. The larger the server is to watch over, the more thinly the DMs are stretched too. Amia as a server NEEDS DMs to push it forward because player initiatives in a sandbox when they can only view the sand through the glass lid can only go so far. On the flipside, the DMs NEED players to play in the sand when they lift the glass lid otherwise their plots are pointless. Both elements being stretched is a lose-lose situation.

The answer to this I think lies in the past:

• In addition to porting across to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, the server needs to trim the fat and get smaller again. Less is more. The less duplicate hunting areas and less private areas there are, the more likely players will be funnelled into encountering one another. (Yes this is flawed by the fundamental fact that without players in the first place it fails... but its about being smarter with what you have and making it more attractive for the fresh meat and the returning veterans when the transition to nwn:ee happens)

• As players, we also need to lower our sense of entitlements and expectations. We don't need large, lavish faction areas, private houses and individual racial cities: we just want them. We didn't have them in the past to the same extent nor did we need them. And most importantly,

• We need to be flexible and adapt. As per my Underdark example above, although we may want a Menzoberanzan or Ched Nasad themed city, we need to accept that a city themed on Skullport is a better fit for the server and the playerbase. The same can be said for the surface factions too: in 2007, you had the Zhentarim, Cordor Guard and the Black Flag operating out of Cordor and other factions such as the Defenders had their finger in the Cordor Pie as well. This bred a degree of competition, conflict and more importantly interaction. Somewhere along the way we forgot that and scattered to the winds, resigning ourselves to screaming into the empty space between and wondering why no-one hears us.

There's alot of factors that as players we cannot control: the age of nwn 1.69, the passage of time and the transition to nwn:ee to name a few. However, there are many that we can. Lets start with those.

My ten dollars anyway.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 17:51 PM 

Player

Quite frankly, I am prone to disagree. Simply for the fact that people, if they wish to congregate together, will congregate together. This is proven by the fact that the majority of the active playerbase for the past 5 years have used Bendir Dale as a central hub with little spreading elsewhere. Things aren't spread too thinly at all. Simply because for that to actually be a situation people have to actually promote and pose interest in other areas in which TO spread interest thinly.

Less is more doesn't really help the situation at all with the above realization. Because, simply put the people will still be congregating in the same places no matter how much you take away. All you accomplish by getting rid of a vast amount of areas that various people in the player base have put a lot of work into in the past and have a bit of pride in and are quite inactive within the present is pissing off the community by taking things away from them.

Nothing else changes. The hubs that people still go to now? People will still go to with a cull. The only thing that changes is history is taken away from the players.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:00 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
Quite frankly, I am prone to disagree. Simply for the fact that people, if they wish to congregate together, will congregate together. This is proven by the fact that the majority of the active playerbase for the past 5 years have used Bendir Dale as a central hub with little spreading elsewhere. Things aren't spread too thinly at all. Simply because for that to actually be a situation people have to actually promote and pose interest in other areas in which TO spread interest thinly.

Less is more doesn't really help the situation at all with the above realization. Because, simply put the people will still be congregating in the same places no matter how much you take away. All you accomplish by getting rid of a vast amount of areas that various people in the player base have put a lot of work into in the past and have a bit of pride in and are quite inactive within the present is pissing off the community by taking things away from them.

Nothing else changes. The hubs that people still go to now? People will still go to with a cull. The only thing that changes is history is taken away from the players.

It was not a problem blowing up old Cordor. Sometimes one need to stir the pot to make something new. If we cannot change anything because of peoples work in the past, then we cannot do anything, at all, anywhere.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:02 PM 

Player

He's talking about making things just vanish from Amia's canon. Not making something devastating happen to them.

As in making several areas and content simply just disappear from the live module.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:04 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
He's talking about making things just vanish from Amia's canon. Not making something devastating happen to them.

As in making several areas and content simply just disappear from the live module.

Yes, but we can always weave it into a DM plot. We got alot DMs with high stake plotlines so why not? We already manage to ruin the Drow RP by destroying all Lolthite settlements and Uhm is a bay.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:17 PM 

Player

Honestly? I'm of the personal belief that Amia has the opposite problem. interest isn't spread to thinly in various areas. But allocated too thickly in certain areas and leaving other areas dead for years on end.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:20 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
Honestly? I'm of the personal belief that Amia has the opposite problem. interest isn't spread to thinly in various areas. But allocated too thickly in certain areas and leaving other areas dead for years on end.

When you top on 10 players on a decent mid week day, It is hard to spread it more thin.

kindlegem

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:32 PM 

Player

Yeah, Galenson suggested the module be changed, but his post doesn't say that that change should happen as a retcon or the removal of the areas without an in-character story. Any characters with history or memories of a removed area will surely retain them just as many characters currently remember the tower of Mystra and the Underport.

Fantastical cataclysms are FR's means of making sweeping changes to the setting to keep things fresh and entertaining for their audience. Amia is overdue for a cataclysm of its own and I agree with Galenson's observation that with very few players the module needs to be smaller and more compact.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:46 PM 

Player

My point being is getting rid of the areas doesn't accomplish anything other than just making the physical server smaller. Which, doesn't change anything as people will still be in the same places. So, what's the point?

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:49 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
My point being is getting rid of the areas doesn't accomplish anything other than just making the physical server smaller. Which, doesn't change anything as people will still be in the same places. So, what's the point?

It is simply thin a server this big with the small playerbase. If people know its smaller to check for people it be more a drive to go 3 areas to this spot than maybe 12 areas to pass through. For example. I think that is the mindset!

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:53 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
Angelis96 wrote:

It is simply thin a server this big with the small playerbase. If people know its smaller to check for people it be more a drive to go 3 areas to this spot than maybe 12 areas to pass through. For example. I think that is the mindset!

Gotcha~ That being the case it makes sense. At least for new players. Old players know where the popular commune spots are and they don't really deviate all too much.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2019, 18:54 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
Budly wrote:
Angelis96 wrote:

Gotcha~ That being the case it makes sense. At least for new players. Old players know where the popular commune spots are and they don't really deviate all too much.

Well, also for old. Spreading max 20 players out (when events is going) on this enormous server is not really a good thing. It is to big for the player base. Hell POTM was to big for 50-60 players. Amia and POTM is both big servers.

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 23 2019, 5:04 AM 

Player

Don't cut areas. I suggest just asking jes for her time using her new system which she put in place. I know some of you have chars invested in cordor, so perhaps you could ask for cordor specific events which help bring it back to life. I also suggest asking the people who left to come back, and ask jes for events as well, to create a sort of hub.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Budly

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:18 AM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:
Don't cut areas. I suggest just asking jes for her time using her new system which she put in place. I know some of you have chars invested in cordor, so perhaps you could ask for cordor specific events which help bring it back to life. I also suggest asking the people who left to come back, and ask jes for events as well, to create a sort of hub.

You need players to bring dead areas back to life. The server is to big for the numbers currently.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:23 AM 

Player

size is irrelevant to people's motivations to be involved. The areas they could want to invest time in would be there if it was unchanged. Or force people to leave because the areas they do care about disappear.

Imho the only two outcomes are nothing or to make things worse.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:59 AM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
size is irrelevant to people's motivations to be involved. The areas they could want to invest time in would be there if it was unchanged. Or force people to leave because the areas they do care about disappear.

Imho the only two outcomes are nothing or to make things worse.

I do not fully understand why you're so protective of areas barely used. It is better to have a server than have nothing, You're also a mucher newer player than I am and should have much less nostalgia and I think Amia need to do somethign drastic to survive. The player base do not really portray that "people care" when we are under 5 players a prime time on a weekend. People clearly do not wish to invest time on Amia so reducing some areas would not hurt much in an attempt to centralize the server.

From the get go, Amia has a history of removing areas and even revamping the whole damn island. The areas like old Shrine, Grove and Bendir Dale I liked a lot yet they do not exist anymore. Changes do happen.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:33 AM 

Player

The thing is, if anything, I would almost tend to recommend removing Bmia. We don't have the population to span two servers. The extra areas aren't a problem, especially if you can communicate well enough (ie tells, for example) because it mostly results in areas people don't go. Like you said, though, Budly, it's better to a something than not have it. It can be applied to the areas as well. It's better to have smaller areas people don't go often. If anything, that's what makes the server spicy, in my opinion. It's nice to have something to discover, even after playing here for a couple of years.

If anything, the server divide is tough to deal with: You can't see DM shouts, you can't see tells across them, and things like that, which generally means one of two things: You have a few isolated communites, that have little do with Amia Island, or it's just the "leveling and bosshunting" server. Ialso agree what Galenson orignally said: "The less duplicate hunting areas and less private areas there are" Personally, I don't think everything should be cut willy-nilly. But there are a few cases where I really wonder whether there sincerely is a point to having said areas. Last I'd heard (it might have changed with Commie bugging the DMs about it) the Horsemen of the Apocalypse still have a mostly working locked base in the Frozenfar. Fort Summer in general, is locked to the general public and has no faction attached to said faction base. I'm pretty sure there's other, hidden away on the the two servers. Faction areas nobody ends up visiting, because said faction is dead.

Honestly, in a perfect world, I'd have a few areas from Bmia moved over to A, say Brog, Khem and Abyss (perhaps even reskinned to not be "hurr durr, let's invade a demon's home and kill all inhabitants") and then everything that didn't go to A slashed, and B shut down. We really don't have the player numbers to have two servers up. That said, I have to admit I don't know much about how NWN works in that regard, and if there still might be a good reason to have two servers. But as it is now, we need neither the extra size, nor the player slots a second servers offers.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:41 AM 

Player

Amia B is known to kill places to, like Drow RP. :(

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 13:13 PM 

Player

That's just a side effect of having two servers. There's a split between them, and especially when one is the main island where everybody is, the other server isn't going to be as popular. I can understand why Drow RP was put on B, because Drow always were pretty secluded, so having them be the ones that are secluded doesn't hurt as much. but it still means there's less DM attention, and less "random people stumbling in".

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 13:49 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
That's just a side effect of having two servers. There's a split between them, and especially when one is the main island where everybody is, the other server isn't going to be as popular. I can understand why Drow RP was put on B, because Drow always were pretty secluded, so having them be the ones that are secluded doesn't hurt as much. but it still means there's less DM attention, and less "random people stumbling in".

It helped in killing the Drow RP although. :(

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:22 PM 

Player

I'm not being nostalgic. I'm debating against something that to me makes no logical sense. Removing areas won't bring players back. But it could make current players decide to leave.

The server thing to me actually does make sense however.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:31 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
I'm not being nostalgic. I'm debating against something that to me makes no logical sense. Removing areas won't bring players back. But it could make current players decide to leave.

The server thing to me actually does make sense however.

So in your logic, removing areas makes no sense, but removing everything on B makes sense? What the fiddle?

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:36 PM 

Player

yes. Because then the community numbers show up all in 1 server. Not split between 2 servers so it looks smaller than it is.

Properly represented player numbers would make some people comeback.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:38 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
yes. Because then the community numbers show up all in 1 server. Not split between 2 servers so it looks smaller than it is.

That is not rally effecting much. 4 players or 6. Makes no difference to our numbers.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:40 PM 

Player

given I've seen 20-25 ppl on in the afternoons between both servers I'd say it would. Yesterday there was 17 ppl on A and 7 or so on B.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 15:41 PM 

Player

Angelis96 wrote:
given I've seen 20-25 ppl on every in the afternoons between both servers I'd say it would. Yesterday there was 17 ppl on A and 7 or so on B.

To remove a whole server because of this reason I think is not suited. Arelith got 3 servers with 50-70 on each. 20 players on A should be enough to pull people in but NWN Classic is not really played that much anymore because NWN EE is so much easier to use.

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 16:08 PM 

Player

So, putting an RP community on a different server killed that community, but removing the issue that killed the community is dumb?

Hell, if it was up to, I'd almost want to port over B in its entirety. Make one server out of two. I always assumed there's a reason for it, though. I really don't think having two servers is something beneficial, as it is. We really can't compare ourselves to Arelith in that regard. Arelith has, and had, before EE, the num bers to back up three servers. We don't. It's a simple fact.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 16:10 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
So, putting an RP community on a different server killed that community, but removing the issue that killed the community is dumb?

Hell, if it was up to, I'd almost want to port over B in its entirety. Make one server out of two. I always assumed there's a reason for it, though. I really don't think having two servers is something beneficial, as it is. We really can't compare ourselves to Arelith in that regard. Arelith has, and had, before EE, the num bers to back up three servers. We don't. It's a simple fact.

I get it, but I just find it interesting we can remove a whole server, but not do IC events to cut away some areas on the server to make it smaller. We done it before.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 18:46 PM 

Player

In the end, we got to do things as a community. So if my attitude came of as confronting, my bad. I just put passion and worry into things I care for in a odd way. :D

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 23:19 PM 

Player

The Community as a whole is not going to help you. Some people are just not interested in playing Cordorian characters. However, what you need to o is get all the people who want to play them together. I know already there are more than a few who would be interested in your group of friends already. So start with them and branch off to see where the story goes.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24 2019, 23:50 PM 

Player

The Little Dragon wrote:
The Community as a whole is not going to help you. Some people are just not interested in playing Cordorian characters. However, what you need to o is get all the people who want to play them together. I know already there are more than a few who would be interested in your group of friends already. So start with them and branch off to see where the story goes.

I am not quite sure what you mean? What Community is not going to help? Cordorian characters? My group of friends? Would you elaborate, Little Dragon? :D

NancyTehVampyre

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 28 2019, 16:11 PM 

Player

I've not posted anything in awhile, mostly because when my old laptop died, I lost NWN and was gifted NWN EE. It felt silly to buy NWN when I got the 'enhanced' version.

That being said, I've eagerly been following along on the Discord and every now and again checking in on here to see what's happening. Personally, I love the size of Amia, I -love- how there is just so freaken much to explore and it made me feel like a real adventurer. It feels like a real world. Forcing people together by making a smaller place is like forcing a house full of people into one room because they 'don't see each other enough'.

If they want to see each other, they will, forcing people into a smaller space against their will - will not only make them angry or peeved because they're not where they want to be - but it'll just make them find newer ways to do things on their own anyway (like how people go on their phones when they're forced into social situations they want nothing to do with).

I loved the size of Amia, I loved how beautiful it is -- I would personally feel less willing to come back knowing it's smaller.

Also, hearts!! All the hearts to everyone <3

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2