View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:48 AM 

Player

Hey guys, it's about time we made a thread discussing the transparency of our progress towards NWN:EE

So what happened before, exactly?

So basically there were 2 problems we wanted to address when EE first came out. One was crucial and one was more of a convenience. Our server uses a system called a NWNX database. This is what allows our areas to load dynamically, store data and use data in various ways (such as tracking muled items, job system, spell system, deity system, a lot of things basically.) There are two versions of NWNX. NWNX for Linux and NWN for Windows. We use the latter as our server is windows-based, which was never an issue with 1.69.

Without talking bad about Beamdog, when they made NWN:EE they only made it compatible with Linux NWNX. As such, we were kinda stuck. However, a user who was working on something similar on Sinfar came to use and told us it would be possible for a gateway to be made. This gateway would not only allow NWN:EE to connect to us but would also allow 1.69 users to play alongside them. We had a couple of prototype gateway builds which worked somewhat but was incredibly unstable and led to a lot of crashes. When word from this dev went quiet, we thought it was time to move on and explore other options.

So what's changed? Why are we suddenly getting progress towards NWN:EE?

To put a long story and a lot of complex language short, we've been given access to certain tools which we are going to experiment with in the future.

The main one of these is called the Bootstrapper. What is will hopefully do is allow us to have our Database fed through it and have it talk to NWN:EE to make it work. It has worked with other NWNX Windows servers, but considering the sheer volume that is our database we're a bit apprehensive of how well this is going to work. The other tool is something to convert our LUA files, which is something most players have no idea what it is, but helps us a hell of a lot in the back end.

The tools will be installed very soon so the DM and Dev team will be organising a day to shut down both NWN 1.69 servers while we see if we can do this.

Are there any problems you guys are aware of?

So far our main problem is loading in areas dynamically. There's a bit of an argument in the NWNX community from when we discussed this as to whether or not our areas will actually be able to be loaded in dynamically. We're aware Beamdog are making this a native update in their next NWN:EE update, so there may be a solution there. If we manage to get everything in the server working except Dynamic areas, we will address that in the future.

That's all for now! Please feel free to use this thread to chatter among yourselves about it. If we need testers we will make a post about it. There may need to be a day of getting a bunch of EE players on to stress test. We're also eager to see how the server will cope on NWN:EE Mobile.

I'm glad that from my previous thread I made about NWN:EE we've managed to 180 our prospects of moving over. All we ask is you be patient, the timeframe right now could either be short or long depending on how many bumps we get.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04 2019, 23:44 PM 

Player

Elmmaster and I both have copies of NWN EE and are happy to help stress-test when that time comes.

I wanted to say, as an area developer, that I cannot emphasize enough how awesome a job the scripting Devs and DMs are for figuring out how to get this off the ground and actually a viable option. Thank you so much for your efforts and the Amia players from my household love you for it!

Ilharess Tal'afay Tinnerai of Eilistraee
Nithlyvia Shadowflame, Absent-Minded Spellblade

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04 2019, 23:46 PM 

Player

No matter what, this is good news and I am sure the whole server support this.

Got a NWN : EE laying around too 8)

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

angst360

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:07 AM 

Player

Is the work being done for a gateway to 1.69 or a full conversion to EE? The OP didn't seem to make that clear.

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:47 AM 

Player

I do believe that by previous posts the gateway will not work for us. We will be doing a move to EE, afaik.

Ilharess Tal'afay Tinnerai of Eilistraee
Nithlyvia Shadowflame, Absent-Minded Spellblade

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06 2019, 4:26 AM 

Player

Dev note - The current path has been changed to completely move the server to EE. This should likely include the server vault and databases and thus everyone's characters. After the move you would require a copy of EE in order to continue playing on the server. There are potential issues that -could- come up during the plan to move which might alter things.

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08 2019, 22:25 PM 

Player

Is this going to involve using NWSync for haks?

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Kamina

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 08 2019, 23:23 PM 

Player

Analog Kid wrote:
Is this going to involve using NWSync for haks?

It’s something we’re looking to support in the short future after launch as it’d aid mobile play

when met"

RaveN

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11 2019, 17:39 PM 

Administrative Developer

If dynamic areas don't work off the launch, I would recommend/can help disable them until they're fixed on beamdog's side. (Just comment out the code in fw_instance.nss and leave a note)

FWIW, I think the memory management and engine is far more efficient and shouldn't balk at our stuff in it's entirety, but I won't sign my name next to anything but a call for an experiment.

Nice job, and awesome update! Sorry it didn't work out with Mavrixio and Sinfar's reversed rev8179 -- just too complicated and too many moving parts (patches) it seems. :cry:

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11 2019, 18:44 PM 

Player

Yeah I assumed the silence was ultimately because of that. It’s a shame dual compatibility isn’t an option. If the dynareas don’t work we’ll have to remake the modules once more, we’ll see how it goes as we’re nearly ready to see how we boot.

when met"

Mitchell.Dalton

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:23 AM 

Player

(Deal has passed)

Last edited by Mitchell.Dalton on Mon, Apr 01 2019, 22:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jes

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29 2019, 16:23 PM 

DM

So!

We have made good strides recently! The EEmia test server is visible on the EE server list (sometimes, when we have it up). Not a whole lot works with it yet, but if you feel like hopping on when you see some people around, feel free to do so. I'll make a post here when we're fiddling with it, so you can jump on and help us test stuff when that time comes. Otherwise you may or may not see it there (it's not up right this moment, as we're messing with it on the admin side).

Right now we're doing a lot of backend things. But we wanted to let you know that we're making progress toward it and you can check in and see progress updates as we go.

Here's a pretty EE Barak Runedar preview.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29 2019, 21:18 PM 

Developer

I see it up. Tells me I'm missing a HAK. What HAK, exactly? Only Amia one is the headpack

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29 2019, 21:25 PM 

Developer

Never mind. I copied all the regular stuff into the appropriate EE folder and it let me connect

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]