View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31 2019, 16:00 PM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
Budly wrote:
Zafriah wrote:
All bans have been discussed at length and dealt with as peacefully as possible, IMHO. There are a number of perma-ban cases which have been uplifted. And those who have been banned and are back playing are never treated differently to any other player regarding requests or anything else.

What if the community treat them differently? Do that go under any of the rules?

That is all on you.

Back to the topic at hand please.

It's simply annoying to me, that we have so many DMs; yet plans if factions get plain ignored and shoved aside because only one DM actually works IG and you don't even get an explanation, you're just sitting there waiting for a response or any kind of interest at the things you presented for the DM team to look at.

It's not only annoying, it drove a - excuse my french - FUCKTON of people away from the server.

Really. A LOT of people, who I can never bring back because they are beyond pissed.

If it turns into harassment because people do not like you, it do turn into a DM issue. But back to the topic.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31 2019, 18:48 PM 

Player

Anonymous wrote wrote:
Thanks Kamina for starting this whole thing up i know it was probably hard on u. Given that most of the dms clearly havent even been active in a long time now are any of u seriously discussing stepping down or changing your behaviour? And do you plan on hiring new blood for the dm team to fix its inactivity?

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31 2019, 19:06 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
Anonymous wrote wrote:
Thanks Kamina for starting this whole thing up i know it was probably hard on u. Given that most of the dms clearly havent even been active in a long time now are any of u seriously discussing stepping down or changing your behaviour? And do you plan on hiring new blood for the dm team to fix its inactivity?

1. So as mentioned I will step down if I cannot keep up my activity again. So far it works, if it doesn't last, I will. I know will at least definately step down and another may seem inactive but isn't really because they are working a lot on getting Amia and the website to EE, so you won't see them IG but they are not actually inactive.

2. We have always been hiring new blood and yes, we are currently too. We only just hired Jes who is fully new as a DM. Zoltan return. Another potentially fully new DM is currently having their interview.

P.S.
2.2 Believe it it not, it also happens decently regularly that we ask people to become and they do not want to for various reasons. And those are all the DM candidates you never even know we did an interview and offered but it never came to fruitation, which however is noones fault. ;)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31 2019, 19:09 PM 

Player

also @lilmarcat:

If I guess correctly which specific ban you are talking about, then there have been regular talks (both via text chat aswell as voice chat) with that person before the long ban over severa months, aswell as there has been a previous shorter ban and several talks about behaviour, complaints and issues beforehand too. There has been many many hours of talk with various DMs (and amongst the DMs about said talks), so much that it actually soaked up a tremendous amount of DM time. And there has also been communication after the ban.

This just as clearification and transparency.

Again, if we are talking about the same ban here (which I am decently sure we are), as I rather not mention names, it was far from "out of the blue". At least for said player. Wether said player mentioned that towards the other players surrounding them (or took us seriously) is not really something we can know or is anything we can and want to influence.

Lutra

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 01 2019, 21:52 PM 

Player

I have actually resigned 1-2 weeks before this thread was made. Processing story/plot/lore review of the areas that I've been handling where it is needed in the respective forums before removing myself entirely.

Thank you for this thread Kamina. I guess we all felt that in the team that you described. I could go on and vent about certain things about both the playerbase and about how the DM team operates as well. Maybe I will later but I don't actually feel it now.

Either way..be nice and constructive in this thread and enjoy the game.

Cratz

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 0:18 AM 

Player

I want to make one little off-shoot comment here, since I can't find/think of anywhere else to put it.

I realize jokes are supposed to be fun and all, but I want to express my disappointment in something I saw today. Server messages are fun when used the right way, but DM's putting IP addresses, either real or fake, in any one of them is just in poor taste. Those who were DM-side know what it was, so I won't name names. But I don't feel comfortable with DMs that spout info like that.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 0:24 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
I have actually resigned 1-2 weeks before this thread was made. Processing story/plot/lore review of the areas that I've been handling where it is needed in the respective forums before removing myself entirely.

Thank you for this thread Kamina. I guess we all felt that in the team that you described. I could go on and vent about certain things about both the playerbase and about how the DM team operates as well. Maybe I will later but I don't actually feel it now.

Either way..be nice and constructive in this thread and enjoy the game.

I am sad to see you go! You always been a cool dude on DM side! But I understand IRL takes its toll.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 0:46 AM 

Player

If the IP was 192.168.1.1 that is the generic LOCAL IP address of PCs. I joked in-game they were banning PaladinOfSune at the time as he is still technically the servers host.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 6:25 AM 

Player

Cratz wrote:
I want to make one little off-shoot comment here, since I can't find/think of anywhere else to put it.

I realize jokes are supposed to be fun and all, but I want to express my disappointment in something I saw today. Server messages are fun when used the right way, but DM's putting IP addresses, either real or fake, in any one of them is just in poor taste. Those who were DM-side know what it was, so I won't name names. But I don't feel comfortable with DMs that spout info like that.

The address was 192.168.1.1, an address which is used by the majority of PCs. The joke was 1. You can’t ban it and 2. Even if you technically could, you’d ban a lot of people (again this isn’t possible).

No one’s IP was leaked.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:28 AM 

Player

In all honesty. I think any real life joking should be kept off the shouting. It kinda ruins immersion at times.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:35 AM 

Player

These were April fools jokes

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:38 AM 

Player

There are no jokes on Amia!

We're srs bsns mode.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 11:38 AM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
These were April fools jokes

I honestly do not think April Fools has any place on a RP server like Amia. On the forums, sure. Even if I did not get it I can see it has a place. But not on server. Basically, if we want to be taken as a serious server we need to rub off the old rumours and keep immersion going. Sometimes to me, Amia is a bit goofy in the RP section. But I guess I might miss the grim and depressive undertone of Ravenloft :P I am also the guy who sighs at real life holidays in MMORPGS and similar, heh. Often one can implement it into server in a way where it is not as intrusive. But to often companies do not do it.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 11:54 AM 

Player

Budly, I recon you sit on your porch with a shotgun waiting for the easter bunny! lmao

Last edited by walnutboy on Tue, Apr 02 2019, 12:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 12:05 PM 

DM

As an aside, the joke in question was not a Shout. Neither were the Rick Astley lyrics. It was very much unobtrusive to anyone focused on RP or missed entirely by anyone hunting.

And no, neither I nor Elyon were aware of which DM was doing it. But it was a silly gag, because the IP was literally anyone's personal generic IP for a computer.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 13:07 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Budly, I recon you sit on your porch with a shotgun waiting for the easter bunny! lmao

No, but I simply think Amias server is for immersion and escapism, going into a role, a roleplay. But that is just my opinion. I always been against shouts not being important information or in character shouts. But for now I guess thats a minor issue. But I do not think jokes about IPs and Rick Astley jokes got a place on Amias server.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 13:24 PM 

Player

If we could stay on topic that would be dandy

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 13:31 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
If we could stay on topic that would be dandy

Yes we can. But I think this also proves part of the problems. From what I gather, DMs do not communicate often on Amia, especially since no DM know who the DM was who posted the April Fools jokes. Hows the communication looking in the DM team? I seen some old day pages who was put up to make it easier for players to see who DM where. But how is it looking today?

Galenson

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 13:57 PM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

A large server like Amia generates a crap load of admin, both positive and negative.

I remember that as an Aussie I used to go to bed, then go to work in the morning. When I was off the amian tools, it was the prime time playing hours for the European and East Coast / Central US players which I think consisted of the majority of the playerbase. I'd check the forums on my phone at lunch time and usually there were a minimum of 20-30 requests, both public and private: DC requests. Problems with DC requests. Unique Character requests. Urgent bug fixes and exploits. Faction grievances and requests. DM Plot related requests. Individual RP requests like Blackguard contracts, shadow jumping and flying widgets. All of them needed attention. Every. Single. Day.

Then there was the negative admin. As an Aussie who managed to keep himself "out of the loop," my first exposure to the Amian underbelly was shocking. I used to sit there and read complaints and reports as all DMs do and literally ask myself "why would players do this and behave that way to each other? Its a bloody game!" This wasn't a shocking once off revelation either, it was a semi-regular thing and took lots of admin time to deal with it. The big shock for me was discovering that players who I had known and role played with for years were acting and treating other players in negative ways. In some cases, it was genuine harassment. You don't know how draining it is to have that revelation dropped on you, let alone dealing with the backlash of the banning because despite having had peaceful and mutual associations with them for years, you're now the enemy for their own behaviours and choices. Very few people who are banned admit that they were in the wrong after all.

Then there was the more minor things: for every PvP grievance you intervened in, you had to record who was involved and what was done. For every faction grievance you were called to intervene in, you had to record it. Despite being a generally collaborative effort amongst your peers, sometimes you had to administer spot punishments as well as temporary bans. In some cases even on the spot permanent bans. It was possible in these circumstances to either be too lenient or too harsh: You had to justify your decision and back it with evidence which led to more admin time recording it (and in some cases fuming over it or letting it go). I used to have a 32gb SD card just for screenshots of disputes and chat log files: within 9 months I filled it. That's a scary statistic for someone predominantly playing in Australian timezones where things were quieter.

When you break down the numbers involving the above, I was probably doing a 4:1 ratio of hours on the forums compared to client side. These are generalised estimations, but it really puts emphasis on just how much admin there is, and there were DMs on the team at the time who did far more admin / behind the scenes work then I did. I acknowledge the statement that its a case of "you signed up to do this," and also respect that if you're not prepared to do it then you shouldn't do it... but I also acknowledge that its a "those who know, don't talk and those talk, don't know" situations too.

Tormak also raised a good point in that the team doesn't internally police its responsibilities as vigorously as it could be. This matched up to my experiences too from five years ago: there was no formalised training or required pre-requisite skill sets to becoming a DM, just as there was no formalised quotas that you had to achieve. You chose when you gave your time and chose how you spent your time and unless you really really stuffed up, you had all the rope at your disposal so long as you didn't hang yourself. This approach relied on integrity as its driving force and is open for abuse like every integrity-based system. There are also communication delays and bonding issues: DMs are located throughout the world and in most cases don't get to meet in person. I haven't met any DMs in person (I have met one, but I was so drunk I can't actually remember it) so the team doesn't get to bond like other teams and hobbies do so you're relying on your counterparts to operate with a degree of autonomy to do the right thing. Furthermore, each DM has their own individual skills that they bring to the table: some DMs are better suited for DM plots, others are better at the number crunching and scripting. Some people are better at dealing with player disputes then others, just as some DMs are better at specific instances of role play then others due to interest, experience or knowledge. To be frank, sometimes some people are just better suited to being a DM then others. I can say this from experience as I wasn't really suited for the job despite enjoying my time doing it.

But, when you factor in that Amia doesn't have a human resources department to manage its employees responsibilities and welfare, doesn't have an internal training team to up'-skill and develop its DMs with regular training and relies purely on volunteer work for the server to function... it could definitely be far, far far worse. I think many players forget this: it could really be far, far worse.

This is not to defend or attack either side, its simply some information to better understand just what its like to be a DM on a large server like Amia. I'm grateful that I got my chance to wear the hat when I did, just I am glad that I chose to step down from the role when I did on positive terms. Some DMs don't get that luxury.

Furthermore, a simple thank you and a bit of patience goes a long way when someone is doing something for you for free. Its hard to motivate someone for a charity service when they're being drowned in negatives.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 14:44 PM 

Player

Honestly, Galenson, I am not suprised at all about the bunch of reports and folders of screenshots. Roleplaying is a very social hobby. It is bent on getting people not to like each others. Chemistry can be felt even over the interwebs. If you play Overwatch or Apex Legends, the interaction is minimal and next game they are gone. PLaying on NWN is like going to work. There is bound to be people you dislike and like. There is also the factor that we do not see or talk to each others but chat and interact in ways that can be hostile (good vs evil, Elves vs Dwarves) and such, which is part of it but can also be seen as a hostile factor to some. It is a bit like how one join a guild in a MMO and it suddenly becomes more social and maybe you do not fit well with the people there. This is why communication is so important The key to solving conflict is communication. Which this thread do open up for. Ironically, coming from me, I know, but I did study a course of "conflict management in the working place" at university :P

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 15:34 PM 

Player

This derailed so hard.

To go back on topic: I think maybe DMs should maybe once a month throw out a small thread (Once a month, one thread summarizing all DMs) giving a quick heads up about what they've done/are doing this month.

Something like:

DM Kamina: I scratched my balls all day and noticed that I have a bald spot there. Investigating that rn. I also permakilled all of Winya because they are knive-ears lol.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2019, 15:51 PM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
This derailed so hard.

To go back on topic: I think maybe DMs should maybe once a month throw out a small thread (Once a month, one thread summarizing all DMs) giving a quick heads up about what they've done/are doing this month.

Something like:

DM Kamina: I scratched my balls all day and noticed that I have a bald spot there. Investigating that rn. I also permakilled all of Winya because they are knive-ears lol.

I think POTM used to have a forum section where DMs could write up what they had for plotlines going.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 07 2019, 2:28 AM 

Player

Re posting from email account
An anonymous group by email wrote:
[Topic of Role play]

Amia is supposed to be a role playing server yet the levelling system is geared towards grinding and working with others in groups to grind harder. Low player counts for various times make it hard to get anywhere on the levelling process. And if you are playing a less combative character this becomes much a harder.

Citations from a few individuals are as follows:
(The following has been paraphrased, re-positioned, and categorised, for convenience, clarity, and amicable atmosphere. )
"Xp you get from professions is nice but the timer is killer for trying to do anything meaningful with it. Some of the mobs seem silly with their ability or hp but I guess that doesn't much at a certain level..."
" Even when levelling personally as a fighting build you HAVE to grind when they (Previous Dm's) often tell you to not do that as it's not RP technically. But to get a level you'll often have to cycle the same place 9+ times.
"There is a lack of things to do role play wise. While Amia could craft stuff nicely, there wasn't actual 'jobs' you could do that did minor exp or easy 'role play' like things. Like being a courier."

Some suggestions that have been brought forwards can be summarised as the following:

A more straightforward, and robust levelling system with diverse quest lines and interesting Plot flow that give characters a feeling of meaningful choices that branch out.
More options/ incentive/ EXP yielded of job system jobs and their products.
Quest lines including job requirements that can be repeated and perhaps offer reputational rewards for completing them or offering aid.
The revision of the Job system as a whole to be more streamlined.
Inclusion of some more alignment based quests and make there a point to the grind.
If the quest system is too much to work on, crank that exp and drop rate.
Lore breaking to level is so common due to server density now and it is silly.

[Topic of DMs]
Some Concerns and dilemmas that have been brought forwards can be summarised as the following:

The system for acquiring new DM's at the moment does not take into account the desires of the player base.

The role of the DM is very special and allows these individuals to have direct say in what shapes and creates the world and it’s lore. The Dm's make up the very gods that overlook the setting and breath life in to the NPC's.
Currently only DMs approve of new DM's: this leads to an uneven slant. If a small group is left alone without checks or balances long enough it will create an exclusivity one way or another controlled by this group. This is great for factions but not so good for leaders of a community based game like D&D.

It has been brought to the attention of a few that some DM's in the past have been making up rules spur of the moment, as well as choosing to ignoring the established official lore of the setting. This causes communication problems. Please post rule changes for review to the community to vote on. If the server lore is special and other wise not listed in the official books for the setting of Forgotten Realms please document it publicly on the forums so everyone can be on the same page.

Ignoring small groups or role play by players appears to be a common problem. Please standardise attention given to players and try to treat every one more equally.

One good example of this is one group shouldn't have to wait for months for Faction chest or new location for a base of operations. Whilst another group has specialised plots. Please try to see to it everyone gets the attention they deserve for the role play they put in. No one wants to feel invisible.

Pay more attention to small player started initiatives that are being pressed IG / IC such as disallowing an evil group from attacking a good group you cripple the foundations of role play on the server. Do not outright deny this. You should facilitate such engagements fairly regardless of personal preference.

Some means to counteract these problems are suggested below:

1. A community vote in from the players as to who should become a DM or who should not.
DM applications should be posted for display and a poll held on site.
2. A monthly AVERAGE of Activity IN GAME requirement for active DM's. Failure to fulfil the monthly average activity requirements IG results in them being 'demoted' to a regular player once more and will require a new vote in by the community as a whole.
3. The introduction of a policing DM to police the other DM's and ensure they are not abusing their privileges. This role should rotate between active DM'S and should be decided upon by the DM Team at the end of each month. Once a player is chosen for this role they can not be chosen again for a consecutive term or for any longer than one month per third of the year- meaning they can serve in this role once every four months with a three month gap between being elected in to this position. This role is subject to activity requirement as well.
4. If a DM is doing a poor job overall hold a community vote to see if they should have their DM privileges revoked.
5. Standardise and simplify the processes for role play and group requirements across the board.
6. Loosen the restraints on character creation. This a game and it's meant to be fun. PC's are special and deserve to be treated as such.
7. Do not throw out sourced lore and standard rules already in existence for Forgotten realms.
8. Create a sticky thread with borrowed attributes voted in to the server lore, and document what changes are made. State these changes or new additions clearly and concisely.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:52 AM 

Player

Quote:
Ignoring small groups or role play by players appears to be a common problem. Please standardise attention given to players and try to treat every one more equally.

..I understand where you are coming from but I find this very unreasonable when you think about it. Before I go off defending the DM team I also want to point out that a lot of player initiatives have been started through the years and many times they have fallen apart because of no DM attention and it's heartbreaking whenever that happens (For instance the attempt to revive the Gentleman's Club not too long ago, when Ravenovf tried to revive the Shrine in 2017 and several other examples).

That said.. What does treating the players more equally even mean?

Is it equal in time? Should every player receive the same amount of DM attention period? No matter the time or effort they put into the server? How should DM time per person even be measured? If a DM runs an event for 10 people does the amount of time spent on the event count towards every character that took part in the event? What if someone then took place in several events, well now they already got more DM times than others, does that mean they shouldn't be given time and attention for requests or personal plots?

Should the people grinding for bosses and epic loot get the same DM attention than a group of people trying to start a faction?

How do you account for timezones? Some DM's are only available for certain times of the day, should they be expected to be available in other timezones because some people in those zones don't get enough DM attention?

...My point is that I think the DM team already does this as. They have to figure out the best value of their time and how to use their time accordingly. Amia isn't perfect, there's some favoritism going on and there most likely always will be (I'll even admit there's been times where I myself have felt a bit spoiled by the amount of DM-attention I've gotten). That said I don't have any reason to believe the DM team intends for things to be this way. It's a result of the nature of timezones and DM and player availability.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 07 2019, 15:47 PM 

Player

lilmarcat wrote:
Re posting from email account
An anonymous group by email wrote:
The system for acquiring new DM's at the moment does not take into account the desires of the player base.

The role of the DM is very special and allows these individuals to have direct say in what shapes and creates the world and it’s lore. The Dm's make up the very gods that overlook the setting and breath life in to the NPC's.
Currently only DMs approve of new DM's: this leads to an uneven slant. If a small group is left alone without checks or balances long enough it will create an exclusivity one way or another controlled by this group. This is great for factions but not so good for leaders of a community based game like D&D.

It has been brought to the attention of a few that some DM's in the past have been making up rules spur of the moment, as well as choosing to ignoring the established official lore of the setting. This causes communication problems. Please post rule changes for review to the community to vote on. If the server lore is special and other wise not listed in the official books for the setting of Forgotten Realms please document it publicly on the forums so everyone can be on the same page.

One good example of this is one group shouldn't have to wait for months for Faction chest or new location for a base of operations. Whilst another group has specialised plots. Please try to see to it everyone gets the attention they deserve for the role play they put in. No one wants to feel invisible.

Having the community elect or vote on who gets to be a DM is a seriously bad bad bad idea. There's two options there, A: Either everyone votes on who they think is the best DM without having access to everything DMs do, which means there's a nontrivial chance that someone is elected who has a history of rulebreaking, player harasment or other forms of rulebreaking that are not befit a DM OR B: Everybody's dirty laundry is aired out in public, every argument, every screenshot, every rule violation and ban. Everything. That would be the only way for the players to make an informed choice on electing a DM or not because you simply don't know if the person you're voting for has done or said about or to other players or how they've conducted themselves. You just don't. You can only judge them based on what you know and experienced and believe, and it's simply not enough when you don't have access to everything.

As for DMs inventing lore: That doesn't happen anymore. Mistakes can still be made, but if and when they are made, they are corrected.

And lastly the team never intentionally ignores groups or people's RP. We're trying our best, but as has already been pointed out there are a ton of variables that factor into that equation. Probably the biggest one is how the line of communication is between any one DM and the player that's getting the event or faction that's getting stuff or plots or whatever. Want something from your friendly neighborhood DM? Ask us. We're not psychic, sometimes stuff takes a long time to get done or approved for a myriad of reasons, be it discussions about the topic, timezones extending the length of that discussion to days or even weeks at times etc etc. Haven't gotten a reply in a week? Ask us again. But a lot of the time, I'll see posts from players who say they don't get any DM attention, when they never asked for it or requested anything, so never just assume stuff. We don't stand around and decide which PC gets a custom event, that is always requested. Things get forgotten or done without actual intent behind them, always always always ask, the worst that happens is that you get a no.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2