View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 11 2007, 18:33 PM 

Player

//still trying to get in... hope I don't miss everything..

Irish Fluff

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 11 2007, 18:59 PM 

Player

//yay I got vandree 1 point... Now its time to take first house the proper way through constant active deceitful and bitchy RP rather than this silly competition.

Qualiz

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 12 2007, 9:58 AM 

Player

I couldn't be there for the delayed part, with Tinnerai and Vandree stuff, but how did it go? Did you even host it yet?

What is the score?

Siggy by Koragi, Vegan, & Myself

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 12 2007, 16:36 PM 

Player

Evil Dave wrote:
//yay I got vandree 1 point... Now its time to take first house the proper way through constant active deceitful and bitchy RP rather than this silly competition.

//Yeah, and that has worked so well to this point, with everyone being happy with the results with little OOC conflict.

NOT.

I came up with this as a way to have a little fun and get a house order that is clear to everyone in the city. Frankly, the house orders have been a mess for a long time now, with no one ever being quite sure what the actual order is. As DMs we could have simply declared who the first house was, but I thought that having something like this, where the players have direct control of the results, would be better and funner for all involved. Apparently, as usual, we can't please everyone.

I had events at many different times, over a span of 2 weeks so far, to ensure that everyone would get a chance to be involved in this. To date I think I have seen two Vandrees in the four days I have done this, for a minimum of 4 hours each time, one of them being the new Ilharess who promptly left in the middle of the event.

You will also find that "constant active deceitful and bitchy RP" will only get you so far. That's pretty much what every drow does, and all can't be first house.

'Nuff said.

Didi

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 12 2007, 17:23 PM 

Player

// I think there are times when political rp can have a clear result. I also think there are times when drow rp and house order needs a reset. Recently RP in the underdark has been in the doldrums, but since this event has started it has really picked up.

There have been times in the past when we as players have managed to sort house order with relatively little ooc conflict. As I recall, there was a lot of bickering about the first house position just before this tournament started, and this has certainly put a stop to it.

I sincerely hope that whoever wins this competition has to face the challenge of a concerted effort against that position. I consider this more of fresh start, from which all the conniving can begin again, with everyone knowing where they currently stand.

I would like to see the more usual methods of usurping first house begin again after this. We currently have a good number of very active houses, which I think is a tribute to the commitment of all the matrons active at present, and I look forwards to a great amount of intrigue in the coming weeks.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 12 2007, 18:34 PM 

Player

// I believe that this was a great idea and from what parts of the events I've been able to attend has been really fun. I'd just hate to find out that people have just come out for the tournament and disappear again afterwards. Hopefully, that's not the case and everybody will find a renewed intrest in drow RP on Amia and remember how much fun it all can be.

Darli

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 4:29 AM 

Player

Didi wrote:
// I think there are times when political rp can have a clear result. I also think there are times when drow rp and house order needs a reset. Recently RP in the underdark has been in the doldrums, but since this event has started it has really picked up.

There have been times in the past when we as players have managed to sort house order with relatively little ooc conflict. As I recall, there was a lot of bickering about the first house position just before this tournament started, and this has certainly put a stop to it.

I sincerely hope that whoever wins this competition has to face the challenge of a concerted effort against that position. I consider this more of fresh start, from which all the conniving can begin again, with everyone knowing where they currently stand.

I would like to see the more usual methods of usurping first house begin again after this. We currently have a good number of very active houses, which I think is a tribute to the commitment of all the matrons active at present, and I look forwards to a great amount of intrigue in the coming weeks.

// I wasn't going to bring this up here, but since it's already being discussed, I may as well.

I agree with Didi; this competition is getting everything in order now and that's great, but in the future I'd like to go back to the plotting and intrigue, if we can find a way to make it work. It stimulates a lot of RP, and the problem with a competition like this every time we need to make a change is that it means all the RP outside of the competition isn't taken into account when determining house order, so RP to make other houses look bad and your own look good outside of the competition might feel a little pointless and hopeless. The competition doesn't account for anything that happens outside of it, like if a matron was suspected of heresy or getting too close to her children, or if another matron publically showed another up, or brought in one hundred sacrifices in a day (bad examples, but they're the first things that came to mind; you get the idea, anyway).

It's not a bad idea, and I actually think considering the state things are in now, it's good just to get things back on track, but I'd personally like to see other methods used in the future (though I do recognize that it's not easy to this fairly and avoid OOC conflict). I don't have a better solution at this point, either, though.

Qualiz

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:52 AM 

Player

For all it's worth Straz - this tournament has been tons of fun and I'd wish DMs would hold events and quests in UD like that abit more. (I know we can't have 1st House tournaments all the time :P)
You did a good job, and no, not all can be pleased, but thats mostly how such competitions work out.

Xenos

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:33 AM 

Player

Might i sugest that sence you cant really wipe out another house to move up in the chain, that this be held ever so many months, like every 6-8 months or so. Lolth could come back to test your first house against the lesser houses and see if there still worthy or something.

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:36 AM 

Player

I'm kinda torn between the two ways myself... the first being the old plot, plan and scheme way and the second being the tournament. The only problem I ever ran across with the old style was that it seemed to take forever... a house that was in first tended to stay there long after another house was more than strong enough to take that position from them. The best way in my opinion would be for the DM's to keep a close eye on as much drow RP as they could (which I am sure they do already) and for those of us who play the matron's to take that extra step to set up matron meetings more reguarly.
In the chaotic world of the drow, houses are constantly battling for position and doing whatever it takes to get that position. Since true murder is not possible here on Amia, we have to resort to other means. Which is where a houses activity level comes into play... if one house has had a lot of positive (for drow) RP and they challenge a house above them, a DM should be allowed to somewhat nudge the RP in one direction or another. If the houses activity levels are too close to call, a small event between the two houses can be held. House 1 and House 2 meet at a some predetermined time, a DM takes over as Lolth, gives the houses a task or tasks to perform, the one that completes the tasks first or does the best in them, wins. Simple as that. Well, I know it probably sounds a lot simpler than it really is, but I think the idea is good. :D

Didi

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 13:39 PM 

Player

I personally like control to be held via allegiances. If the second and third house oppose the third, and all are of even strength, a coup can be arranged. The first house needs to maintain control over a majority of houses, using unscrupulous means like pitting them against each other. Lower houses have to secure alliances to advance, or humiliate the higher house, etc.

But I do think this reset was necessary.

Boon052

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 16:16 PM 

Player

By the way, how did the rest of the yath trails go, after I went I had to go.

~Hedi arabett

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 16:40 PM 

Player

//For the record, I have no intention of doing this again. This was just a one time thing I thought would be fun and get a house order set that no one could argue with as it came right from the Big Lady herself, but decided by you players.

After this, you go back to your bitchiness, scheming, and backstabbing.

'Nuff said.

soriano_

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 17:16 PM 

Player

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort and time you have put into this tournament. It has been fun. Its nice seeing the underdark so alive and filled with all of us nasty creatures. :P

Didi

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 17:26 PM 

Player

Yeah, seconded. Youve put loads of time and effort into this, its been a ton of fun, and I think it was the right thing to do at the time.

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 18:39 PM 

Player

//This was a very different approach to determine house order and I liked it. It's a very fair way OOCly of doing it without false accusations of DM favoritism and whatnot being made.

So what was teh final results? who won? or is there another coming soon?

Irish Fluff

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 20:08 PM 

Player

// The final test hasnt been completed as of yet. Tinneria and Vandree still need to do a litany and offer lolth something. So sometime this week end it'll all be finished.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13 2007, 20:44 PM 

Player

// I think Tinnerai is gonna do ours around 11:30pm EST on Thursday. Seeing as that's gonna be the only time that both Straz and I have co-inciding free time for awhile. I know it's not the best time for a lot of drow players, but i do hope that any of you that are capable of making it do. I don't know what Straz has in mind for it, if it's just gonna be the devotion and that's all or what, but I'm sure that if enough show up there will be more points to be earned.

BTW, I also throw out a HUMONGOUS thanx to Straz for organizing this event. It's been great!

Darli

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:48 AM 

Player

// Yup, I agree. Although I seem to always manage to miss these events -_-, I can tell from talking to others that it has been a lot of fun, and I know you put a lot of work and time into it, so thanks, Strazzy!

Didi

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 16 2007, 6:52 AM 

Player

Do we have a final score yet?

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 16 2007, 16:34 PM 

Player

//Vandree still needs to do their final litany to Lolth, then the tournament will come to a close. It will happen sometime this weekend, though I cannot give an exact day or time as of yet, as my own plans are still unclear. I will do my best to give some notice here before it happens.

There will be some sort of closing ceremony type thing, with the winner of the litany competition announced as well as the overall winner and new house order. I apologize at not being able to give an exact day or time, but I am anticipating it will be during my Sunday afternoon (I am on EST), which would be Sunday evening for the Euros.

So far the scores are:

Qos'Yutsu - 15 pts.
Do'Veldran - 9 pts.
Tinnerai - 9 pts.
Arabett - 3 pts.
Vandree - 1 pt.

The litany competition is not the last opportunity to score points, so Qos'Yutsu does not have the first position completely locked up yet. The order of the houses below the first will also be determined, so the more house members that are present for the end of the tournament the better each house's chances will be to improve their standing.

'Nuff said.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 16 2007, 20:03 PM 

Player

// One question comes to mind seeing that Tinnerain and DV are tied right now. What happens in the case of a tie at the end?

Qualiz

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 16 2007, 21:00 PM 

Player

Hint hint - I believe Tin will get a worthy spot =) Considering the litany is not finished yet.

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 17 2007, 2:15 AM 

Player

ainjyll wrote:
// One question comes to mind seeing that Tinnerain and DV are tied right now. What happens in the case of a tie at the end?

That won't happen. :wink:

'Nuff said.

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 17 2007, 4:34 AM 

Player

oh, the suspense :twisted:

Qualiz

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 10:09 AM 

Player

Quote:
There will be some sort of closing ceremony type thing, with the winner of the litany competition announced as well as the overall winner and new house order. I apologize at not being able to give an exact day or time, but I am anticipating it will be during my Sunday afternoon (I am on EST), which would be Sunday evening for the Euros.

Is this today? If yes, what time exactly??

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 16:25 PM 

Player

//I hope to begin the end of this at around 1 PM EST (1800 GMT) today (Sun, Feb 18 ).

'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 17:16 PM 

Player

// I.. might... (MIGHT not WILL) turn up about an hour into proceedings if I can get in. ^.^

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 17:20 PM 

Player

// I'll probably be running a little late, and I'm sure the server will be uber full by the time I get home.

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 18:36 PM 

Player

// still didn't get back home yet... probably won't be online until after 2PM or so...

Sharuma

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 22:39 PM 

Player

//Thanks be to Straz for putting on the tournament for the city and having the patience to be logged in forseeing it for all those grueling hours!! :D :D

Mhekaru - naive half-drow sorceress

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 22:57 PM 

Player

Had a great time ^^ congrats to Qos for winning. and Congrats to all the other houses who took part :D

many thanks to Strazzy for putting up with us crazy Drow ppl :P

Bad Juju

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 23:20 PM 

Player

Thanks Straz, I enjoyed it all. From the 7hr battles to the quick witted riddles. :) (which I'm not good at I may add) Congrats on Qos for taking 1st and looking forward to dethroning you soon. :P

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 23:30 PM 

Player

Lolth has appeared in the city and declared the house order of Ultrinnan based on the results of the tournament that just concluded. The house order is as follows:

1st house- Qos'Yutsu - 21 pts.
2nd house- Do'Veldran - 10 pts.
3rd house- Tinnerai - 9 pts.
4th house- Arabett - 4 pts.
5th house- Vandree - 3 pts.

Qos'Yutsu won based largely on their strong showing in the yathrin events, winning both and gaining 8 points in the process. A strong presence at each and every one of the five events was also key to their victory.

//You may now return to your regularly scheduled evil plotting and backstabbing.

'Nuff said.

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 23:54 PM 

Player

// we cam in second by 1 point? :O

I bet it was that one riddle May answered right x_x that is crazy

Irish Fluff

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2007, 23:56 PM 

Player

//Iron we didnt get any points for our litany or play :cry:

Last edited by Irish Fluff on Sun, Feb 18 2007, 23:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 3:01 AM 

Player

Evil Dave wrote:

//Sorry, Dave, there was only one winner in the litany contest, it was winner take all. If it means anything, Vandree would have come in second due to the fact that they were the only other house to actually perform a litany. Perhaps a few of you should have looked up that word's definition before trying to perform one. :wink:

'Nuff said.

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:55 AM 

Player

//Actually Strazzy litany is a derivative, it is taken from the word to supplicate or pray in general. Meaning if you were to go by the REAL definition of the word they WERE all a form of litany. (The idea of a followed repetition did not come about until more recent times.) :D

P.S. Congrats on a very nicely executed event.

Qualiz

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:10 AM 

Player

I believe we did perform a litany. Our thingy was originally written as a kind of call-and-response prayer, but due to lag issues and players being slow we had to knack it up and go in one run, with only me and Veh performing.

lit-a-ny: A liturgical prayer consisting of a series of petitions recited by a leader alternating with fixed responses by the congregation.

Straz Finster

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 14:57 PM 

Player

Qualiz wrote:
I believe we did perform a litany. Our thingy was originally written as a kind of call-and-response prayer, but due to lag issues and players being slow we had to knack it up and go in one run, with only me and Veh performing.

lit-a-ny: A liturgical prayer consisting of a series of petitions recited by a leader alternating with fixed responses by the congregation.

I know. I said Qos'Yutsu did a good job. You won, remember?

I am not going to debate definitions here. Everyone did a good job with the competition, but there could only be one winner.

'Nuff said.

Arissa_Nightblade

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 16:29 PM 

Player

:P I knew what a litany was, but when straz said to 'be creative,' I thought he meant be creative with the sacrifice @_@

Irish Fluff

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 19 2007, 20:40 PM 

Player

Straz Finster wrote:
Evil Dave wrote:

//Sorry, Dave, there was only one winner in the litany contest, it was winner take all.

Ahh I see but it was fun all the same anyway especially when Kir had to do some improvised acting. I should have said in my opening lines that Kir was going to do interpreted dance. :D

Though I have just realised being last house is so much more fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2